ENB Giselle (Skeaping) January 2024

I know it's early, but does anyone know when we might expect casting for this production?  I absolutely love it so would like to go a couple of times, but I would like to know who I am paying to see.  I wonder if the casting system will be any different under the new director, i.e. will they let us know in good time to buy the tickets we want?  Or should I just go in 'blind' while the affordable tickets are still available?  Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

• Like 8

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that the casting for that beautiful version of Giselle will  issue sooner rather than later. However, the Company isn't back from its holidays yet, is it, so maybe it's a bit early for any such news. But there's certainly the potential for some super pairings.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sim said:

I know it's early, but does anyone know when we might expect casting for this production?  I absolutely love it so would like to go a couple of times, but I would like to know who I am paying to see.  I wonder if the casting system will be any different under the new director, i.e. will they let us know in good time to buy the tickets we want?  Or should I just go in 'blind' while the affordable tickets are still available?  Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

last season, Swan Lake casting was released December 16 for a run of performances that started January 12. Not a lot of notice.

Having said that , those of us who have the advantage of being seniors, get a  £5 discount  on front row balcony seats. This works out at only £10 a seat  so it’s possible to book a large number of performances  and thus to have a good chance of seeing as many casts as possible 

• Like 2

I think I can only make one date of this anyway, but I’m curious to whether based on previous experience there may be ticket offers closer to the time?

I have really mixed feelings about the coliseum - I hate that in their highest section (the cheapest) that barrier is a real eyesore. But not sure I can justify to pay to go a row down as in the past if tickets have sold they just bump everyone down and close off the top. It would be a bit of a kicker to have paid more to sit one level down only for others to get a free upgrade!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JNC said:

I have really mixed feelings about the coliseum - I hate that in their highest section (the cheapest) that barrier is a real eyesore. 

Yes - for me the only way of knowing for sure that the rail won't be a problem is to book very near the back, which I don't really want to do. So I've booked I think in the 4th row this time and just have to see how it goes. Combined with very uncomfortable seats and poor leg room, it's not a good experience going there.

• Like 5

Agreed! Maybe I should bite the bullet and just take a similar approach now. It’s not only the railing but they have some sticking out bits of scaffolding (for lack of a better word), which also really get in the way as they jut out quite far. I really do wish ENB went elsewhere other than the coliseum (I know they do sadlers wells for their more contemporary offerings). 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks all.  I have bought Balcony row C for the first night, and will wait until casting is out to try for any more.  :)

Can you bring something soft eg small rug, to sit on, Sim? Would you be happy to sit on your winter coat? I sat there a few times and it’s more the light rigging and various rails that were a problem if in the wrong row-but C should be clear of the view restrictions from the rails/riggings. 

I bet casting for both Giselle and Nutcracker will be really late again eg 4 weeks (maybe even 3 weeks this time!)....Tamara Rojo and Wayne Eagling used to release them with far more notice. My guess is that, being star dancers themselves, they know fans want to book for their favourites. And while many of the public will book whoever, they won’t usually book for the second ballet eg Giselle, Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet, etc, and meanwhile the fans would get bored of waiting and go off to book Royal Ballet's triple bills, full lengths, etc which have had casting  announced way in advance, so that if ENB announces late, the fans can’t go to theirs - or book one show instead of the three they intended- because they’ve already committed to RB. 

Also, if they announce casting in advance and people buy their tickets earlier, that’s more money banked for ENB but more to the point, it means they’re not going to spend their money somewhere else. Giselle won’t sell as quickly as Swan Lake so hopefully Watkin will announce Nutcracker and Giselle casting in advance (and earlier than last year). There are also many of us who need to book both productions at the same time - or not at all. The symphony orchestras and theatre companies are really eager for me to visit this year (it’s not just RB, or BRB, NB, etc)  - they’ve been sending lots of marketing emails with tempting artist lineups...... 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I bet casting for both Giselle and Nutcracker will be really late again eg 4 weeks (maybe even 3 weeks this time!)....

Please could we give Aaron Watkin a chance?

If I were a Director, especially a new one with relationships to build, I would want to communicate with the dancers before publishing any casting.

• Like 8

As ENB tweeted about the triple bill yesterday I tried asking them when the casting for that will be released. I had a reply saying "We expect to have casting at the end of this month." so that'll be less than 4 weeks before those performances start.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Can you bring something soft eg small rug, to sit on, Sim? Would you be happy to sit on your winter coat? I sat there a few times and it’s more the light rigging and various rails that were a problem if in the wrong row-but C should be clear of the view restrictions from the rails/riggings. 

Hi Emeralds.  I have been sitting in the Balcony for many, many years, so I know what awaits me!!  Luckily I have some built-in cushioning so don't have to bring my own!  😁

• Like 4

I have checked with Aaron and he is happy for me to let you know that the announcement about the "Giselle" casting is imminent (once the dancers have been informed, of course).

Irmgard Berry

Adviser to the Skeaping Estate

Artistic Adviser for Mary Skeaping's "Giselle"

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

On 05/08/2023 at 22:56, Irmgard said:

I have checked with Aaron and he is happy for me to let you know that the announcement about the "Giselle" casting is imminent (once the dancers have been informed, of course).

Irmgard Berry

Adviser to the Skeaping Estate

Artistic Adviser for Mary Skeaping's "Giselle"

And from ENB this morning:

Thank you for your interest in booking for Nutcracker and Giselle. We are planning to announce casting for both production within the next couple of weeks. Please keep your eyes peeled!

We thank you for your patience and support.

• Like 2

It's great that the Giselle & Nutcracker casts are going to be announced well in advance. However if they're going to announce those casts "within the next couple of weeks" & the triple bill casts "at the end of this month" then that would mean the triple bill casts would be announced after the Giselle & Nutcracker ones, despite the performances taking place 2-3 months earlier, which would be a little odd!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It's great that the Giselle & Nutcracker casts are going to be announced well in advance. However if they're going to announce those casts "within the next couple of weeks" & the triple bill casts "at the end of this month" then that would mean the triple bill casts would be announced after the Giselle & Nutcracker ones, despite the performances taking place 2-3 months earlier, which would be a little odd!

I have the sneaky feeling that "a couple of weeks" will be more like 3, and so take us "to the end of the month". In other words, they may all end up being announced at the same time

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Dawnstar, casting the performances for the triple bill is much more complicated than for "Giselle" and "Nutcracker" because it involves three different choreographers/stagers.  Victoria Simon, from the Balanchine Trust, is not due to join the company for another couple of weeks, and she will want to see the dancers in action before it is decided which casts do which performances - and this has to coordinate with the two new pieces.  Therefore, "Giselle" and "Nutcracker" performance casting will be announced prior to the triple bill casting, and I do think it is great that Aaron Watkin has taken on board requests for major casting to be announced much earlier than it has been in recent years.  Of course, as always with ENB's mixed bills, you will probably see almost all the company's principals in whichever show you book for 🥰

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

24 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

Of course, as always with ENB's mixed bills, you will probably see almost all the company's principals in whichever show you book for 🥰

Thanks for the information but I don't want to risk booking without the casting. You can bet if there was one cast without Frola I'd manage to book for that one!

• Like 1

I am looking forward to going to the masterclass re this triple bill mostly concentrating on the Balanchine piece as a Friend of ENB on 31st August at the new ENB home. 
This will be the first event attended there since Covid so hope there will be more events this coming season. 

• Like 2

Got similar email today to PeterS and consistent with Irmgaard’s info: 

Giselle & Nutcracker casting next week.

Our Voices casting end of August. 

(I guess they emailed everybody back today! I’d replied to one of the multiple marketing emails by asking if we could have casting soon). 😊

Mine does say next week for Nutcracker/Giselle though.

Unfortunately, two friends can’t come to Our Voices any more because we couldn’t book without Theme and Variations casting, so they’re going to something else- that’s three tickets we wouldn’t be buying (mine as well as theirs). A relative going with me on a different day can wait, so at least two tickets out of the original five is not a complete loss. Pity that it’s less than half the original ones we were going to get. 

Edited by Emeralds

Thanks for the information regarding Victoria Simon’s availability, @Irmgard

- that’s unfortunately the casting I’m waiting for. I wanted to see which dates Oliveira, Takahashi and Frola were given. If one or more of them aren’t cast in Theme and Variations, then it depends on who isn’t being picked (although I’m assuming it’s unlikely unless due to injury or some medical reason). I’m quite happy to see all their principals if it were in August but that fortnight is far too packed with performances. I’ve already given up the 30/9 Nunez/Muntagirov Don Quixote for the benefit of waiting for ENB, which previously would have been unthinkable! 

Edited by Emeralds

On 04/08/2023 at 13:20, capybara said:

Please could we give Aaron Watkin a chance?

If I were a Director, especially a new one with relationships to build, I would want to communicate with the dancers before publishing any casting.

I mentioned 3 weeks partly to encourage Mr Watkin to do it earlier or to prove me very wrong or both, but mainly because I’ve seen the marketing go out for other shows, and I know it’s getting ultra competitive because everyone is afraid of funding being cut or independent shows having to close; am also a bit concerned that none of the usual ENB marketing posters in the Tube or Rail stations are present.

Am concerned we will lose potential patrons for Giselle and Our Voices to other shows, movies, sport, clubbing and the pub who have advertised their info sooner. What my opinion is (or whether I’m giving chances) is irrelevant if the seats go empty. I’ve been at a January ENB performance less than half full (a particularly outstanding cast it was too) and a Sadler’s Wells performance with late casting info quite empty (though more than half full). That’s a lot of perishable seats and money to lose if the sales momentum isn’t generated early. 

And we mentioned this on another thread: In theory the Nutcracker casting doesn’t affect sales for Nutcracker- however it does affect Giselle sales, because many fans who buy multiple tickets or multiple shows, and even multiple tickets each for multiple shows, book both Nutcracker and Giselle at the same time, so the casting of Nutcracker is driving the sales of Giselle. 

@Emeralds you should try following companies who give little or no notice of casting!  

There was a dancer I was not keen on at all in a company some years ago but sometimes I just had to go when I could and if that dancer was dancing I accepted it, although it may have made me book extra performances if I could go to more.  Even if you book for a specific cast you are not guaranteed to see them.

I remember quite a few years ago I had booked my usual Nutcracker tickets in Birmingham and while I was happy with the dancers I would be seeing I wanted to see my then favourite dancer if possible.  I booked 2 extra performances when the casting came out and even though it was only a couple of weeks before he didn't dance at either because the casts had been moved around to accommodate another dancer whose family were coming half way around the world to see them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

@Emeralds you should try following companies who give little or no notice of casting!  

There was a dancer I was not keen on at all in a company some years ago but sometimes I just had to go when I could and if that dancer was dancing I accepted it, although it may have made me book extra performances if I could go to more.  Even if you book for a specific cast you are not guaranteed to see them.

I remember quite a few years ago I had booked my usual Nutcracker tickets in Birmingham and while I was happy with the dancers I would be seeing I wanted to see my then favourite dancer if possible.  I booked 2 extra performances when the casting came out and even though it was only a couple of weeks before he didn't dance at either because the casts had been moved around to accommodate another dancer whose family were coming half way around the world to see them.

Tee hee, Jan, I knew you would mention companies with no advance casting, because every time someone has a thread asking about casting, you say the same thing! 😊 If I had a pound for every time you mentioned.....well, I’d have a lot of pounds 😁.

I do understand where you’re coming from- I’ve just booked not one but two performances  of Northern Ballet last Wednesday not knowing the casting at all!  And wouldn’t need to find out till I get there. I don’t have any favourites with them, they are all equal in my mind (more likely I haven’t seen enough of the current company to dislike or like anyone more than anyone else!).

I guess if RB and ENB never published advance casting, I probably won’t attend that much, which would save me a lot of money (!) and for a while I did do that when work was incredibly busy and either I couldn’t find out casting or even go. There are gaps from those years which do feel a bit surreal when people mention “so and so who danced this role in that year”.

My reasoning re: those two NB shows is that I love the Generations programme, even though I haven’t seen Ella’s work yet and only one ballet by Tiler Peck (mentioned first name so as not to confuse with Justin Peck), which I really liked. If I like the show a lot, hopefully the second ticket turns out to be second cast. If it’s the same cast, no problem.... I’ll be happy to see a cast I like again (principally for Adagio Hammerklavier, which I already know I love and don’t see often enough). If I dislike it (I doubt it though) but like AH, will probably just see AH again. If I dislike it and feel they’ve mangled AH (I highly doubt they will!) I don’t think I’ll have trouble reselling the ticket since it’s sold out. Actually even if on the off chance half the theatre returned their tickets or I can’t resell, I don’t mind giving it away - it’s inexpensive compared to RB/ENB tickets. (Thank goodness for Linbury prices).

Am not worried about NB’s ticket sales or income since their Linbury performances also sold out last November, their first night of Generations at Leeds is sold out already, Great Gatsby did well this summer (was sad I couldn’t go) and the company is small, plus their funding was one of the few that increased. Not a lot of threads here worrying about “NB prices getting too expensive”. They’re in a different niche to RB/ENB. 

BRB falls somewhere in between- in the past I have had difficulties where casting was announced late and did matter, so I ended up just not going. This time, funnily enough, I am actually ok with everyone -there’s nobody I’m trying to avoid in soloist or principal ranks!- so I could see whoever, but Carlos Acosta has been obliging enough to do advance casting which is helpful too (my BRB attendance has gradually shot up by double since the second last year of David Bintley’s leadership and by triple now....not just because of the advance casting timings but more the repertoire, dancing quality and prices.)

Could I ask who you were trying to see in Nutcracker by any chance (you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to). I had that problem with Chi Cao’s last Romeo in London.....it got moved around then didn’t happen. So I eventually travelled up  to Birmingham to see him give his farewell performance! Got to see some old friends who treated me to homemade cake which worked out well in the end, but I won’t be able to do that for everything......lol.

Edited by Emeralds