RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

The lack of information does seem unnecessarily secretive when casting for Fairy Godmother and Step Sisters was published several days before Cinderella performances. It would be particularly good to know who’s dancing Lilac Fairy and Carabosse so audience members wishing to provide flowers can make arrangements (quite literally in some cases). Everyone understands there can be late changes (as with the Fairy Godmother switches the weekend before last). But no information before the cast list is published a couple of hours before the performance seems poor to me.

• Like 11

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

The lack of information does seem unnecessarily secretive when casting for Fairy Godmother and Step Sisters was published several days before Cinderella performances. It would be particularly good to know who’s dancing Lilac Fairy and Carabosse so audience members wishing to provide flowers can make arrangements (quite literally in some cases). Everyone understands there can be late changes (as with the Fairy Godmother switches the weekend before last). But no information before the cast list is published a couple of hours before the performance seems poor to me.

Agree - especially as, if rumours are true, at least one Lilac Fairy will be making her debut.

I see that the RB Sinfonia are playing this evening - does that happen often as I can't recall having been to a performance where they have been playing?

Oh for goodness sake. I'm now going to be seeing Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy for my 6th SB performance in a row! If tickets weren't so horrendously expensive I'd be tempted to book for another cast purely to see a different Lilac Fairy.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MJW said:

I see that the RB Sinfonia are playing this evening - does that happen often as I can't recall having been to a performance where they have been playing?

They seem to be doing most of the performances in this run. Don't know if it happens often or not! I haven't noticed it before. Would be interested to know.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh for goodness sake. I'm now going to be seeing Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy for my 6th SB performance in a row! If tickets weren't so horrendously expensive I'd be tempted to book for another cast purely to see a different Lilac Fairy.

Very frustrating for you, Dawnstar! (No criticism intended of Gina Storm-Jensen.) If I'd known Nadia Mullova-Barley was doing Lilac I would have booked one of her performances. Now, the dates don't really work for me at short notice and anyway there are few or no tickets left for her performances. Does the ROH not realise what a significant role it is?!

• Like 5

With an overcrowded train, broadband is frustratingly limited but from the posts above does this mean there is now some news of other Sleeping Beauty casting? Please would someone be able to confirm Lilac Fairy and Carabosse for tonight and tomorrow? Many thanks.

In my case it's not even that I'm desparate to see a specific other Lilac Fairy, I just want to see someone else - anyone else! - in the role. Apart from seeing Claire Calvert back in November 2019 when I saw the RB's production for the first time, I've not seen anyone other than Gina Storm-Jensen, even at the cinecast. No matter how much I like a dancer - and I do like her, she was one of the first dancers to stand out in the corps for me when I sterted watching the RB - I want to see other interpretations of a role. I can't swap to seeing a different cast though because it may well be my only opportunity to see Sarah Lamb as Aurora, as I've not yet seen her in the role & who knows if she'll still be dancing when SB is next revived in 2 or 3 seasons' time.

@JohnS Yes, the Lilac Fairy & Carabosse casting's been put on the website for the whole run. Tonight is Mendizabal & Buvoli, tomorrow McGorian & Mullova-Barley.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

Many thanks Richard. With the train at a halt, I managed to find an answer.

I’m very pleased that at least we’re getting more information and very much looking forward to the 2nd run of Sleeping Beauties.

Edited by JohnS
Removed the details as Richard had posted them.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, capybara said:

Dancing The Lilac Fairy feels like a huge jump for Nadia from the relatively small named roles she has been dancing to date.

All the best to her in rising to that challenge.

Wasn't Claire Calvert at Artist or First Artist rank too when she first danced LF?

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Pre-Covid, I was often surprised to recognise the orchestra members of the BRB Sinfonia so no, it's not unusual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I see that Nadia Mullova-Barley is Lilac to Osipova's Aurora - is this the debutante hinted at above?! 

I knew that would happen!!🤦‍♂️ Hopefully she'll be Lilac Fairy for other performances too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Dancing The Lilac Fairy feels like a huge jump for Nadia from the relatively small named roles she has been dancing to date.

All the best to her in rising to that challenge.

I'm sure I saw her in the Spanish Dance in Swan Lake last run. I was really impressed with her interpretation of the role. I hope all goes well for her! 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm sure I saw her in the Spanish Dance in Swan Lake last run. I was really impressed with her interpretation of the role. I hope all goes well for her! 

I agree and thought she was terrific in the Spanish Dance.

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Am looking forward to reading what Forum members think of Takada and Hay in Sleeping Beauty tonight. 

I loved them last time.  I’m missing tonight because of tomorrow’s train strike, but have a ticket to their second show.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I loved them last time.  I’m missing tonight because of tomorrow’s train strike, but have a ticket to their second show.  

You'll love them this time too I'm sure! I don't think I have ever seen Akane in better form,  and James was a wonderful Prince and partner.

• Like 3

What an absolutely wonderful experience. I don't remember having seen this production live on stage and I was dazzled, not least by Miss Takada's rock solid balances (who needs princes?), Mr Hay's almost silent landings, Mr Yudes likewise (sadly the floor seemed generally particularly noisy from my spot in row C of the amphi). Miss Mendizabal, such a delightful person, was a truly nasty Carabosse, and I thought Miss Buvoli exuded serenity. She herself claimed nervousness but I couldn't believe her.

The Messel-Farmer designs are just right for a fairytale, the Royal Ballet Sinfonia sounded good...

• Like 14