RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

15 minutes ago, alison said:

Can I just say kudos to the corps de ballet?  From Nutcracker through two runs of Sleeping Beauty *and* a month of Cinderella, they barely seem to have been off the stage the past 6 months.

Yep indeed. I think they get some time off mid January? (Certainly hope they do anyway) They were all absolutely brilliant last night.

I noticed Sae Maeda in 3 different roles as well - Prologue Fairy, Garland waltzer and Princess Florine. Busy night! She and Joonhyuk Jun were so brilliant.

I really like Sarah and Ryoichi’s partnership in this ballet. Saw her with Marcelino Sambé earlier this year which I also found superb.

• Like 3

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember someone telling us at a Ballet Association years ago that the real killer for the corps in Sleeping Beauty was the number of costume changes - a different outfit for every act for some of them, I guess?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I remember someone telling us at a Ballet Association years ago that the real killer for the corps in Sleeping Beauty was the number of costume changes - a different outfit for every act for some of them, I guess?

All those wigs...

Also rapid costume changes: not so easy when you're VERY MOIST.

People who don't like long intervals possiby should consider what is going on backstage!

• Like 3

I agree about the marathon efforts from members of the corps especially. Bravi!!! However, it is rather sad that, during the Cinderella and recent Sleeping Beauty runs, some dancers were signing off for the home season.

How I wish that the June triple could have been differently composed and more inclusive of the RB company as a whole.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, capybara said:

How I wish that the June triple could have been differently composed and more inclusive of the RB company as a whole.

This will sound very negative but its composition at least allowed me to have no regrets about not going (other than missing Morera's farewell of course).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

This will sound very negative but its composition at least allowed me to have no regrets about not going (other than missing Morera's farewell of course).

I wouldn’t have been content not to be seeing the RB in June in addition to July, August and September. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jane S said:

According to Amelia Townsend on Tiktok, it seems like she (and probably some of the other corps ladies) have indeed four different costumes for four different acts, and I believe depending on the show, they do some other parts of the background people as well (once she had seven different roles in one double show day). It does seem quite overwhelming, and I can't imagine the work that goes in planning the casting out as well. Always wondered how they do that

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Delayed cinemacast in Australia this weekend just gone, with a final screening coming on Wednesday.

Stunning Bluebird from Joseph Sissens, and Matthew Ball and Yasmine Naghdi a beautiful partnership. It was quite different from when I saw her as Natalia Osipova's replacement with Reece Clarke in May, which of course is because she and he had never done a full-length together before and she and Mr Ball have experience as a partnership.

Kristen McNally a fantastic Carabosse and Mayara Magri a really lovely Lilac Fairy.

Still think the final scene needs a glitter shower.

• Like 4

Well, @Geoff I was in Italy the night of the coronation, but I was lucky enough to chat with Kristen McNally after the first Beauty I saw and I commented that the David McAllister production for AusBallet has a final apotheosis, much like the Royal Ballet's Cinderella, and that this [the Royal's] Beauty needed a glitter shower to top it off. Miss McNally's response: "Ooh, I love a glitter shower, me!" Then again the Queen's costume had almost sufficient glitter on its own.

Edited by Sophoife
Fixed stupid autocorrect which always wants to say "if" not "of".
  • Like 2