RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

21 minutes ago, Fonty said:

This is a fascinating description of Osipova's approach to Aurora, but I am sure I cannot be the only one in thinking that perhaps she is trying to put way too much drama into the role?  Of course Aurora is not a child, and she is certainly aware of her position as a princess.  However, she is definitely young,  hence the fact that she is still single and is being introduced to possible suitors.   Does the synopsis still say she is celebrating her 16th birthday, I can't remember.  I can't help thinking that if her characterisation is as you describe, then she is trying to approach the SB as if it was a MacMillan ballet.  Sometimes a more simple approach is the best imo.  I like my Aurora to be young, radiant and not too complicated.  Of course she is a different girl in Act 111 to the one who dances the Rose Adagio.  She is, after all, marrying the man of her dreams, but she hasn't matured that much.   In fact, technically she is still 16 isn't she?  (Or whatever age she was when put into the enchanted sleep.)

Yes, the synopsis does say 16th birthday. Sadly I'm not seeing Osipova this time round, but I understand what you're saying; and I think the disadvantage of her approach is that it runs the risk of unbalancing (no pun intended) the ballet, which is not fundamentally about Aurora. And there's no point trying to be a MacMillan character if everyone around you is Petipa. However I do find her gripping in this role and so many others, and she does make me see the ballet anew. So I'm willing to go along with her for the ride.

• Like 7

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, the synopsis does say 16th birthday. Sadly I'm not seeing Osipova this time round, but I understand what you're saying; and I think the disadvantage of her approach is that it runs the risk of unbalancing (no pun intended) the ballet, which is not fundamentally about Aurora. And there's no point trying to be a MacMillan character if everyone around you is Petipa. However I do find her gripping in this role and so many others, and she does make me see the ballet anew. So I'm willing to go along with her for the ride.

I agree completely.  If I was seeing the ballet multiple times then a radically different approach might appeal, but I very rarely do that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Does the synopsis still say she is celebrating her 16th birthday, I can't remember.  

To be clear, the original source material, the Perrault story, has Aurora at 16. However when Vsevolozhsky and Petipa produced the ballet in 1890 they changed her age for her first scene to 21.

I do not know a source which tells us when (and why) her age became younger again in subsequent British productions.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Someone else I forgot to credit: at the end of the Prologue, I was seriously considering posting that Kristen McNally's Carabosse would have been worth the admission fee all on her own.  Wow!  (But then I got sidetracked trying to decide on ice cream combinations, which is always a problem at this particular cinema)

• Like 8

Ha ha Richard LH ….a regular Merle Park ( Royal Ballet Promotions thread) 

The Princes kiss obviously saves her from more vampirish qualities she may have developed in her sleep. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Once again our local cinema put the house lights up immediately the curtain fell, so we had to try and watch the curtain calls through a sea of people all getting up, fumbling round for bags & cardigans and making their way out, before the broadcast had finished. I'm going to have words, I think. It ain't over till it's over!

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Once again our local cinema put the house lights up immediately the curtain fell, so we had to try and watch the curtain calls through a sea of people all getting up, fumbling round for bags & cardigans and making their way out, before the broadcast had finished. I'm going to have words, I think. It ain't over till it's over!

You should definitely have words, Taxi.  Watching the curtain calls and flower deliveries is a big part of the whole.  They obviously don't get that.  😡

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, in Act 3 she is woman of 116....😂

Didn't someone do a spoof Sleeping Beauty once which showed that the court were in an enchanted sleep, but they carried on aging?  The prince goes to kiss the princess, recoils in horror, and gets into  an argument with the Lilac Fairy.   Can't remember who it was; sounds like the sort of thing Morecambe and Wise would do in a Christmas special.  

• Like 3

On 24/05/2023 at 10:08, bridiem said:

I agree that Clarke is good at dealing with Osipova's unpredictability, which I'm sure is why she likes to be partnered by him. He sets her free. But I don't feel that he does it by trying to find something new himself in response to her; my sense is rather that he enables Osipova to shine by largely effacing himself. Which is, I think, a shame.

I have to say I didn't really get this impression from the performances I've seen with both of them recently - Giselle/R + J/Swan Lake last season, and Woolf Works and SB this year. I think he's still able to shine very much as an individual, particularly in his performance of Albrecht. He's a very brilliant dancer of course, as reflected in his promotion last year. If he wasn't partnering Osipova I wouldn't have seen so much of him - I booked for her primarily as I wasn't familiar with his dancing before.

I do think it would be interesting to switch up the main and established couples at the RB though - I think this was mentioned in another thread about partnerships. I would have been interested in seeing him partner Fumi Kaneko in Sleeping Beauty (although she was incredible with Bracewell of course - the best partnership of the run for me). I think there's a small clip on YouTube of them dancing the wedding pas de deux together, on Albert Bartlett's YT channel and also the Tait Memorial Trust. I thought it was brilliant. Also loved their Scènes de ballet together last year.

I would be interested in seeing Osipova with others like Cesar Corrales or Marcelino Sambé.

• Like 8

I had a lovely time at the live relay last night. Cinema was great - lights turned off when they should be, sound quality great and picture quality good too. Even got a printed cast sheet! 😱

This, for me, was Yasmine Yaghdi's night. Her Aurora was flawless, gentle, sweet and just lovely. Her technical brilliance was wonderful to see and her musicality and presence just brilliant. I loved her and thought she was perfect. Matthew Ball was excellent - a technically matched partner, noble prince and their partnership is lovely. They clearly are so comfortable with each other and they seemed so secure in their trust of each other. Wonderful to see!

I was so impressed with everyone else! What a strong cast. Standouts for me: Isabella Gasparini, Joseph Sissons, Sae Maeda, Sophie Allnatt  (she really is one to watch!) and of course, Kristen McNally (boo hiss! 🤣)!  Lastly, how could I forget the wolf! I don't think I have ever seen such a wonderful characterisation! As soon as I could, I looked at my cast sheet to see who it was! David Donnelly - bravo, just totally wonderful. I have never loved the Red Riding Hood, Wolf dance and I immediately loved it with him portraying the wolf.

Mayara Magri was as wonderful as usual. I've seen her as Lilac Fairy before, so knew how wonderful she would be. Special mention also to Yuhui Choe - I loved her dancing and she excels at the roles she is given.

I liked the pacing of Jonathan Lo's conducting. The orchestra sounded wonderful - Sergey Levitin was great (I never mind who is Concert Master, though I have a slight preference for Vasko Vassilev as I prefer his tone - just personal taste).  I only had one slight quibble and this may be a slight delay in the broadcast of the video and music feed, perhaps. Maybe someone who was there live at ROH last night can correct me if it was different there. In the bits where Aurora does a series of turns and stops suddenly (in her later solo, in Act I) the music stopped a fair bit later than Aurora on the relay. I realise how tricky the timing for those must be, but I have seen the orchestra much more at one with the dancer previously. It did not detract from a wonderful evening though. A good time was had by all in my party. 

• Like 14

On 24/05/2023 at 10:08, bridiem said:

I agree that Clarke is good at dealing with Osipova's unpredictability, which I'm sure is why she likes to be partnered by him. He sets her free. But I don't feel that he does it by trying to find something new himself in response to her; my sense is rather that he enables Osipova to shine by largely effacing himself. Which is, I think, a shame.

Yes. Totally agree with this. I have very mixed feelings about Ms Osipova. I have seen performances and loved her. I admire her technique and exuberance. She can be an extremely emotive dancer too. However, she is not my 'go to' dancer. There is something about her wanton abandonment (sometimes) which detracts for me. Jumping high for the sake of it is sometimes ungainly, IMO. I often prefer slightly more restrained performances - that's my personal taste. Reece Clarke is a powerful dancer and I suspect he is so strong he can partner Osipova's unpredictability well - I don't think there'd be a lot you could throw at him that he wouldn't be able to handle. He's also a technically great dancer, IMO. Is he my 'go to' male dancer? No. There are three others I would choose over him. However, I do really like him and have appreciated the performances of his I have seen. He is very noble with a strong technique. I would like to see him partnered with someone else, as I see him as Osipova's, perhaps, subordinate partner rather than being equal to her and I can't say I've felt that when I've seen him dancing with others. Just my opinion though. Others may well disagree and maybe everyone at RB is happy with that, including him. :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I had a lovely time at the live relay last night. Cinema was great - lights turned off when they should be, sound quality great and picture quality good too. Even got a printed cast sheet! 😱

This, for me, was Yasmine Yaghdi's night. Her Aurora was flawless, gentle, sweet and just lovely. Her technical brilliance was wonderful to see and her musicality and presence just brilliant. I loved her and thought she was perfect. Matthew Ball was excellent - a technically matched partner, noble prince and their partnership is lovely. They clearly are so comfortable with each other and they seemed so secure in their trust of each other. Wonderful to see!

I was so impressed with everyone else! What a strong cast. Standouts for me: Isabella Gasparini, Joseph Sissons, Sae Maeda, Sophie Allnatt  (she really is one to watch!) and of course, Kristen McNally (boo hiss! 🤣)!  Lastly, how could I forget the wolf! I don't think I have ever seen such a wonderful characterisation! As soon as I could, I looked at my cast sheet to see who it was! David Donnelly - bravo, just totally wonderful. I have never loved the Red Riding Hood, Wolf dance and I immediately loved it with him portraying the wolf.

Mayara Magri was as wonderful as usual. I've seen her as Lilac Fairy before, so knew how wonderful she would be. Special mention also to Yuhui Choe - I loved her dancing and she excels at the roles she is given.

I liked the pacing of Jonathan Lo's conducting. The orchestra sounded wonderful - Sergey Levitin was great (I never mind who is Concert Master, though I have a slight preference for Vasko Vassilev as I prefer his tone - just personal taste).  I only had one slight quibble and this may be a slight delay in the broadcast of the video and music feed, perhaps. Maybe someone who was there live at ROH last night can correct me if it was different there. In the bits where Aurora does a series of turns and stops suddenly (in her later solo, in Act I) the music stopped a fair bit later than Aurora on the relay. I realise how tricky the timing for those must be, but I have seen the orchestra much more at one with the dancer previously. It did not detract from a wonderful evening though. A good time was had by all in my party. 

No that happened in stage- I did notice it.

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I would be interested in seeing Osipova with others like Cesar Corrales or Marcelino Sambé.

She did, in La Bayadère (Cesar Corrales, alternating with Muntagirov). At that time Reece Clarke was not yet Osipova's RB partner. It was good, but for me the alchemy is much higher with Clarke. Because Natalia Osipova is not only brilliance and energy, she is also mostly romantic and has a kind of fragility in her personality, which matches extremely well with the sweet, gentle charisma of Mr Clarke.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Fonty said:

I agree completely.  If I was seeing the ballet multiple times then a radically different approach might appeal, but I very rarely do that.  

I love almost all RB Principals. Usually, what I do is: first see a "traditional" outstanding approach of the piece (Nunez or Naghdi or Kaneko or Lamb or etc.), then "well, now let's see what Natalia Osipova will do with this character". So I always attend two or three performances of a run, including one with Osipova. I never miss an Osipova performance, it is so unique, so exciting and stimulating!

I loved the fact that in Woolf Works I could see, on the same Saturday, Alessandra Ferri in the matinee (the creator of the piece), and Osipova in the evening. Two completely different approaches (but both, of course, validated by McGregor), so exciting!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Because Natalia Osipova is not only brilliance and energy, she is also mostly romantic and has a kind of fragility in her personality, which matches extremely well with the sweet, gentle charisma of Mr Clarke.

Yes indeed, I really detected that in their Act 2 vision scene pas de deux. And I really felt it in Cinderella, I forgot to mention that. I loved their Cinderella. (As well as Morera/Ball of course!)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Paco said:

I love almost all RB Principals. Usually, what I do is: first see a "traditional" outstanding approach of the piece (Nunez or Naghdi or Kaneko or Lamb or etc.), then "well, now let's see what Natalia Osipova will do with this character". So I always attend two or three performances of a run, including one with Osipova. I never miss an Osipova performance, it is so unique, so exciting and stimulating!

I loved the fact that in Woolf Works I could see, on the same Saturday, Alessandra Ferri in the matinee (the creator of the piece), and Osipova in the evening. Two completely different approaches (but both, of course, validated by McGregor), so exciting!

Yes, it is one of the joys of watching the RB, that there are so many outstanding dancers.  Osipova is certainly unique, I agree.  Sadly, time restraints mean that often I can only see one performance of anything in the rep. so I tend to go for "traditional" in the classics.   

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

According to her IG Meaghan Grace Hinkis will be dancing as Florine tonight, with Benjamin Ella as Bluebird.

Her previous post says it was Ben Ella’s debut as Bluebird last week 😱.  Why has he been so undercast!  He is 33(ish) and a super technician as well as having considerable artistic and dramatic abilities.   I know there have been injury breaks, but still.    

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 4

On 25/05/2023 at 10:31, Fonty said:

...perhaps she is trying to put way too much drama into the role?...

23 hours ago, bridiem said:

...And there's no point trying to be a MacMillan character if everyone around you is Petipa...

I did see Osipova’s Aurora on Monday and it was really not a MacMillan performance or in any way over dramatised. It was a beautifully nuanced and graceful performance with charming girlish details throughout. It’s the only Sleeping Beauty I’m seeing this run and I am very happy I chose Osipova 🙂.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Her previous post says it was Ben Ella’s debut as Bluebird last week 😱.  Why has he been so undercast!  He is 33(ish) and a super technician as well as having considerable artistic and dramatic abilities.   I know there have been injury breaks, but still.  

Is it not the problem right now that the RB has exceptionally good dancers at all levels from Artist (so many of those missed out because of the pandemic and are now 'marking time' when they have the talents to do so much more while young and keen enough) to Principal and not enough performances to give them opportunities which they very much deserve? Perhaps what is needed is a touring company... oh.

Ben Ella is also choreographing I believe, which is good.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

In (at least) "The Artists" gala in Japan in August

And here previously!  On a small group of RB dancers for a gala in Valencia (see photo)

"I had a real blast performing Le Corsaire grand pas de trois and Short Stories with Sibelius, choreographed on seven dancers by dancer and work colleague, Benjamin Ella.

After the show, we could feel the audience’ love and appreciation as they came to congratulate us. I had felt so at home, I gave them my all on stage, with no fear, no pressure, and nothing to lose. I was there for the experience and had gained so much more. Seeing young dancers of the company perform challenging pas de deuxs with such confidence and skill was truly inspiring. What a talented bunch! They grasped the moment and danced beautifully in a joyful and supportive atmosphere."

From Isabella Gasparini's fascinating blog. Highly recommended reading!

https://www.isabellagasparini.com/post/seizing-the-moment

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Ben Ella is also choreographing I believe, which is good.

24 minutes ago, oncnp said:

In (at least) "The Artists" gala in Japan in August

Program | The Artists - The brilliance of ballet - < official website>

And also a new work for Northern Ballet to be premiered in the ROH Linbury Theatre next season!

• Like 5

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

And also a new work for Northern Ballet to be premiered in the ROH Linbury Theatre next season!

Thank you for this! Now all I have to do is get this, the cast I want for DonQ and the Limit into one trip

36 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

And a debut for "Rory Mullarkey" as one of Aurora's Friends ?!?🤔

Very unfortunate that, in consequence of this obvious error, a dancer is missing out on being named.

I think that, on the basis of the Friends line-up I saw on the 11th May, auto-correct has played havoc with Nadia Mullova Barley'.

• Like 5