RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

18 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I have wondered about the four Prince suitors in the past too. I thought they would have been very unfairly bereft if they not only got separated from and lost to family and friends who then mourned them and died, but then they woke up and found that after 100 years, not only had their friends and family died but their kingdoms or lands that they were due to inherit either went to some relative or worse still, got invaded by some conqueror, plus some other chap came and won the princess (with the unfair advantage that they were asleep at the time) they’d come to court!

In one or two versions I’ve seen the poor princes have been visibly present and sent to sleep at the same time as Aurora (then after 100 years apparently vaporised  - poof! - from the room, oh dear!) but in other versions they don’t appear again after carrying Aurora out gently, so I assume - and hope- the Lilac Fairy attendants must have ushered them out (while their boss is busy talking to the King and Queen and sending everyone to sleep) and telling them the doctor will be on the way, then thanked them and waved them (and their entourage) off home. 😀

I always assumed they were told none of them were the prince that was promised, and sent on their way by the Lilac Fairy before everyone went to sleep.  I think they then went to the nearest pub, decided that was a party to remember and went home to their respective kingdoms.  

• Like 8

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

I always assumed they were told none of them were the prince that was promised, and sent on their way by the Lilac Fairy before everyone went to sleep.  I think they then went to the nearest pub, decided that was a party to remember and went home to their respective kingdoms.  

I've always made the assumption that the 4 princes were invited to Aurora's birthday party as they were sort of eligible young bachelors who are usually invited to these things, and  if she thought one of them was hot stuff, so much the better.  I've never given a thought as to what happened to them afterwards.  I suspect being blokes they probably went off to quaff wine and compare notes in the local tavern, easing off their boots and being thankful they didn't have to do any more dancing.  I love the idea of disgruntled suitors lurking in the background at the wedding, though. Or perhaps chatting up Red Riding Hood or Puss in Boots?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I've never given a thought as to what happened to them afterwards.  I suspect being blokes they probably went off to quaff wine and compare notes in the local tavern, easing off their boots and being thankful they didn't have to do any more dancing. 

......and, being busy dancers, at least some of them would be very grateful to be finishing two hours earlier than usual !!!!!

• Like 4

The ROH have posted on Instagram a rehearsal snippet of Carabosse (Olivia Cowley) and her fantastic carriage. I have seen SB many times now without ever noticing that it is essentially a vulture with  a huge head at the rear of the carriage and vicious claws at the front! Must remember to look more closely next time (in cinema Wednesday week, and in situ Friday week). Unfortunately I will miss Olivia in the role this time around, but she looks great even without full makeup.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 6

Amelia Townsend may not have got to perform the Autumn Fairy in Cinderella but at least all that finger pointing practice is being put to use as the Fairy of the Golden Vine tonight. Does that count as transferrable skills?

• Like 14

I thought Sarah Lamb was wonderful as Aurora tonight. For some reason, while I've seen her in all her leading MacMillan roles, this is the first time I've seen her in a C19th classic, apart from half an act of Odette in the Ukraine performance last season. I now have everything crossed that I'll be able to catch her in at least Swan Lake (in full) & Nutcracker before it's too late. She still looks completely plausible as a 16 year old despite being over 40. I don't know how dancers do it. I thought her Rose Adage was fabulous. Her balances between princes looked so steady that it almost felt like she could have done without the princes & just kept going! The vision scene seemed to fly by; I was rather surprised when it ended. I thought the grand pas was lovely. The fish dives were the fastest I've seen live, in fact the middle one was slightly scary as it looked like it teetered on the edge of going out of control! 

I thought Hirano was very good too, though in his case I've seen him in the Nutcracker so knew more what to expect. Though this prince requires rather more acting, which I thought ge did well.

A mention to Harry Churches as Florestan. It's the first time I've seen him do a classical solo & he had lovely quiet landings. I was also pleased to see Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Princess Florine for the first time.

• Like 20

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

Very well, I had no idea it was his debut

Nor had I. I knew it was the first time this season & the first time I'd seen him in the role but I'd assumed he'd done it in previous runs. Also does anyone know if Harry Churches was making his Florestan debut? I can't find him on any previous cast sheets.

Query for those who are good at dancer identifications: who were the 8 Lilac Fairy attendants in the prologue last night? I was fairly sure of 5 of the 8 but not the other 3.

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Nor had I. I knew it was the first time this season & the first time I'd seen him in the role but I'd assumed he'd done it in previous runs. Also does anyone know if Harry Churches was making his Florestan debut? I can't find him on any previous cast sheets.

Query for those who are good at dancer identifications: who were the 8 Lilac Fairy attendants in the prologue last night? I was fairly sure of 5 of the 8 but not the other 3.

Harry Churches has posted on IG that he made his Florestan debut last night (15th May). 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Which five have you got?

Is she one of the smaller dancers? When they were lined up across the front of the stage kneeling down Viola Pantuso was at one end of the line and at the other end of the line was a dancer of a similar height so is she Ella Newton Severgnini?

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is she one of the smaller dancers? When they were lined up across the front of the stage kneeling down Viola Pantuso was at one end of the line and at the other end of the line was a dancer of a similar height so is she Ella Newton Severgnini?

She's small, yes....and thanks to the ROH finally updating the profiles of the Aud Jebsen dancers I can now see she's British, I'd assumed she was American for some reason.

• Thanks 1

I saw Ella a few years back now at the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School. She really had a lovely style then and stood out in the class for me….but didn’t know her name until I recognised her the following year on World Ballet day when the year nine girls at RBS were then being rehearsed by I think it was Nicola Katrak or possibly Nicola Trayner? She then mentioned Ella by name in that pointe work class. I was pleased to see she had become an Aud Jebsen student. She was not very tall in the class  back then but haven’t seen her dancing for a couple of years so not sure about her height these days but imagine she won’t be one of the taller dancers anyway. She has a small head like Viola though! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

This is very confusing talking about two different Ellas in the same thread, and even on the same page.

I think Rihanna sang a song about it .......umbrella ella, ella, eh, eh, eh

• Like 10