RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

A little off at a tangent, for historic SB tutu fans you could have hired one of Margot Fonteyn's (vision scene 1959) at one point in time! Huddersfield!

It sold last year, £1,900, along with one worn by Antoinette Sibley (Crystal) and another for Judith Sinclair (Fire Fairy)

I only hope they went to a good home.  Detailed , delightful photos:

https://www.dominicwinter.co.uk/Auction/Lot/570-fonteyn-margot-1919-1991-a-tutu-made-for-margot-fonteyn-as-princess-aurora-1959/?lot=377537

[Margot Fonteyn, 1919-1991]. A tutu worn by Margot Fonteyn as Princess Aurora in the Vision Scene of Sleeping Beauty, Bonn & Mackenzie Ltd., 1959, turquoise and lilac tutu with overpainting, comprising a fitted boned bodice of grosgrain taffeta, with net detail to neckline, and sheer puffed sleeves, gathered skirt of layers of tulle overlaid with organza pleated at front (organza torn on left side), and decorated with sequins (some missing), rear fastening with metal hooks and eyes, and red printed label inside of Bonn & Mackenzie inscribed in dressmaker's pencil 'Margot Fonteyn, Aurora, Sleeping Beauty', some wear and discolouration, bust 72cm (29ins), waist 51cm (20ins), length 72cm (28.5ins), together with:
A tutu worn by Antoinette Sibley as Fairy Crystal in Sleeping Beauty, Bonn & Mackenzie Ltd., 1959, comprising a fitted boned bodice of turquoise fabric woven with silver threads, the fabric continuing in 'rivulets' onto grey net skirt, neckline trimmed with net to match skirt, the bodice and skirt embellished with beads and sequins (some missing, with resulting rust marks), rear fastening with metal hooks and eyes, red printed label inside of Bonn & Mackenzie inscribed in dressmaker's pencil 'Antoinette Sibley, Fairy Crystal, Sleeping Beauty', bust 71cm (28ins), waist 48cm (19ins), length 65cm (25.5ins), and
A tutu worn by Judith Sinclair as Fire Fairy in Sleeping Beauty, Bonn & Mackenzie Ltd., 1959, comprising a fitted boned bodice of orange taffeta onlaid with gold fabric and overpainted, the fabric continuing in 'flame' design onto burgundy net skirt, rear fastening with metal hooks and eyes, netting to neckline torn, red printed label inside of Bonn & Mackenzie inscribed in dressmaker's pencil 'Judith Sinclair, Fire Fairy, Sleeping Beauty', bust 82cm (32ins), waist 56cm (22ins), length 79cm (31ins)

(Quantity: 3)

Provenance: These garments were given to the vendor in the 1960s when a costume hire business in Huddersfield closed.

Just over two years before Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev embarked on their remarkable partnership, on 20th December 1959 the BBC, in collaboration with The Royal Ballet, transmitted a live production of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty starring Margot Fonteyn and Michael Somes. It was shown only once, and received great acclaim. In 2014 edited highlights of the production were shown again, presented by Darcey Bussell, including footage, thought lost, which had been recently found. The rediscovered reel contained not only the famous Kiss Scene in which Princess Aurora is awakened by the Prince, but also the Vision Scene (Act II) in which the Princess is attired in this tutu. Throughout her long career Dame Margot Fonteyn, the only English prima ballerina assoluta, was particularly lauded for her interpretations of Aurora in Tchaikovsky's iconic ballet. As well as starring one of the greatest ballerinas of all time in one of her key roles, the BBC production also featured prima ballerina Antoinette Sibley, and Judith Sinclair, who became a soloist with The Royal Ballet. Sibley and Sinclair played two of the fairy godmothers, Fairy Crystal and Fire Fairy respectively (the latter name apparently chosen specifically for this production). The three tutus, designed by Jane Scrase Dickins, evidently found their way into a costume hire business shortly after the production, from where they were rescued by the present owner over 50 years ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a special day it was yesterday....the incredible pageantry and history and tradition of the Coronation, and an unforgettable performance of The Sleeping Beauty.  This was Beauty/beauty personified, by Yasmine Naghdi.

Naghdi's dancing was pure, beautiful, classical and deeply felt.  Furthermore, she is one of the most musical dancers around and it seemed at many points that she and Jonathan Lo had melded into one, so much in time were they with each other.  She never missed a step, a beat or a note.  It was gorgeous to watch.  Her Rose Adage was assured and confident, and she radiated the joy of a 16 year-old being introduced to all that the world had to offer her (that is, a choice of handsome princes), and showing them and us all that she had to offer the world.  Aurora is so difficult to dance and make a fairy tale believable, but Naghdi succeeds every time.  The three acts are like three separate ballets as far as her character is concerned, and for it to work the ballerina must be equally convincing in all three.  Last night, I was more than convinced:  joyful young girl in Act 1, sad, mournful vision in Act 2, regal, radiant and ready to take on the world in Act 3.  Naghdi conveyed all three through the beauty of her dancing and the depth of her characterisations. Glorious.  Miss Naghdi continues to deepen her artistry and gain more and more in confidence.  She has guested all over the world (this year alone in Japan, Kazakhstan, Italy, Australia...and more) for all types of audiences with many different dancers.  This has all contributed to her becoming such an all-round artist.

Her prince was her regular onstage partner, Matthew Ball.  Kevin O'Hare clearly loves this partnership.  Ball is tall, handsome, elegant and an aspiring danseur noble.  His technique has improved in leaps and bounds (sorry!) over the past few years, and his acting has always been wonderful.  Put all of this together and along with Vadream he is my go-to prince (with William Bracewell almost caught up).  You can see and feel how much Ball and Naghdi love dancing together; they are comfortable with each other, respect each other and bring love out of each other.  In the classical ballets that require elegance, technical precision and classicism, these two deliver the goods.  Beautifully.  

Kristen McNally really let rip as Carabosse. I loved it!  Her trickery was so clearly rendered that I didn't need to use my binoculars, and I'm sure that every sneer and every wicked laugh was caught way up in the amphi and the slips.  Mayara Magri was a warm and comforting Lilac Fairy.  She started off her solo a bit tentatively, but executed the Italian fouettes very well.  

Music-wise, I can't remember ever having heard the score played so beautifully.  Even the national anthem sounded particularly special.  The orchestra (the wonderful Royal Ballet Sinfonia) sounded lush and exciting under the direction of Jonathan Lo.  He always seems to get the best out of them. 

I don't know if it was the 'coronation effect', but last night's audience was particularly appreciative, applauding at regular intervals and, at the end, giving a well-deserved standing ovation to the lead couple, the whole cast and orchestra and, one imagines, the whole day.  Even Carabosse got applause instead of boos!!   How appropriate for the Royal Ballet to crown such a historic day by presenting us with the best of British, embodied by Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball.  My daughter said that she got all choked up at the end, with the two of them standing upstage, surveying the wedding scene and standing regally together in that still pose.  She said she was remembering that first Olga and Lensky they did, after which many of us started saying 'give them R&J'....they did, and who could ever forget that debut performance?  'How far they have come, it's been such a wonderful journey' my girl said.  I agreed with her, and so we went off into the night, happy and emotional and grateful that we could be reminded of how beautiful art can affect us in such a truly special way.  

• Like 32

25 minutes ago, Sim said:

This was Beauty/beauty personified, by Yasmine Naghdi.

Naghdi's dancing was pure, beautiful, classical and deeply felt.  Furthermore, she is one of the most musical dancers around and it seemed at many points that she and Jonathan Lo had melded into one, so much in time were they with each other.  She never missed a step, a beat or a note.  It was gorgeous to watch.  Her Rose Adage was assured and confident, and she radiated the joy of a 16 year-old being introduced to all that the world had to offer her (that is, a choice of handsome princes), and showing them and us all that she had to offer the world.  Aurora is so difficult to dance and make a fairy tale believable, but Naghdi succeeds every time.  The three acts are like three separate ballets as far as her character is concerned, and for it to work the ballerina must be equallly convincing in all three.  Last night, I was more than convinced:  joyful young girl in Act 1, sad, mournful vision in Act 2, regal, radiant and ready to take on the world in Act 3.  Naghdi conveyed all three through the beauty of her dancing and the depth of her characterisations. Glorious.  Miss Naghdi continues to deepen her artistry and gain more and more in confidence.  She has guested all over the world (this year alone in Japan, Kazakhstan, Italy, Australia...and more) for all types of audiences with many different dancers.  This has all contributed to her becoming such an all-round artist.

Yes, yes, and YESS!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't there last night but I love the fact that a second run of The Sleeping Beauty has opened with Yasmine Naghdi (and Matthew Ball) and has put Yasmine in the spotlight she deserves. FIngers crossed that the appreciation being shown on here will be reflected in the minds of dance writers.

Looking forward to the cinema broadcast (24th or 28th May).

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Yes, yes, and YESS!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't there last night but I love the fact that a second run of The Sleeping Beauty has opened with Yasmine Naghdi (and Matthew Ball) and has put Yasmine in the spotlight she deserves. FIngers crossed that the appreciation being shown on here will be reflected in the minds of dance writers.

Looking forward to the cinema broadcast (24th or 28th May).

I'm really looking forward to the cinema relay! I can't wait to see Yasmine Naghdi's Aurora, particularly.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

A little off at a tangent, for historic SB tutu fans you could have hired one of Margot Fonteyn's (vision scene 1959) at one point in time! Huddersfield!

It sold last year, £1,900, along with one worn by Antoinette Sibley (Crystal) and another for Judith Sinclair (Fire Fairy)

I only hope they went to a good home.  Detailed , delightful photos:

https://www.dominicwinter.co.uk/Auction/Lot/570-fonteyn-margot-1919-1991-a-tutu-made-for-margot-fonteyn-as-princess-aurora-1959/?lot=377537

I think we had a listing put up for these back at the time - it sounds familiar.

Ah, yes, here we are:

Thanks!

Though the programme is no longer available to watch in full on the BBC there's a 50 second clip of Somes and Fonteyn and The Kiss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s6vn9

https://www.bbc.co.uk/informationandarchives/archivenews/2014/bbc_finds_lost_archive.html

Lucette Aldous has a rather stunning costume too!

https://www.balletnews.co.uk/fonteyn-59-sleeping-beauty/

I probably saw it on TV in 1959 but I can't remember!

It appears the costumes were not kept as a collection, here is Fire Fairy resold in December 2022 £280

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-358---judith-sinclairs-tutu-as-the-fire-fairy-in-sleeping-beauty-act-i-1959/?lot=32254&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=107&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=8&g=1

and a link there to a YT clip of the costume being worn. There are other parts available also.

Sibley's costume £260

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-357---antoinette-sibleys-tutu-as-the-crystal-fairy-in-sleeping-beauty-act-i-1959/?lot=32253&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=107&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=8&g=1

My goodness! 

In our ballet section of the sale, we present the diverse archive of John and Roberta Lazzarini, who were responsible for the creation of the Anna Pavlova Museum in London in 1974. The deeply personal collection includes Pavlova’s stage-worn pointe shoes, her ‘Russian’ day dress and sari, both from the early 20s, as well as a plethora of photographs and ephemera. Pavlova’s travels are charted by bouquet ribbons printed with dates and messages from the theatres worldwide where she performed and date from 1904. One of the other most famous dancers ever to leave Russia was Rudolf Nureyev and the Lazzarinis’ collection includes Nureyev photographs, early posters and a signed ballet shoe. Arguably his most famous partner, Margot Fonteyn, is represented by not one, but two of her tutus.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire museum-quality ballet material from the early 1900s to the 1970s.

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/story/the-roberta-lazzarini-collection-of-pavlova-and-other-ballet-material/

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/archives/?y=2022

Edited by Ondine

Continued! 

Margot Fonteyn's Rose Adagio costume from the Sleeping Beauty, Act I, designed by Oliver Messel, early 1960s  £2,600 (lower than the estimate)

https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com/auction/lot/355-margot-fonteyns-rose-adagio-costume-from-the-sleeping-beauty-act-i-designed-by-oliver-messel-early-1960s/?lot=32190

This exquisite pink lamé tutu, designed by Oliver Messel, was acquired in 2003 by Roberta Lazzarini from the wife of the Front of House Manager at the Royal Opera House, to whom Fonteyn had gifted it in the early 1960s.

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/19922235.margot-fonteyns-tutu-owned-bridgwater-woman/

No-one had been able to find proof Fonteyn had ever worn the tutu in Sleeping Beauty.

"In desperation, I posted a query about it on a ballet forum," added Yolanda.

"There was a reply saying there had recently been a Darcey Bussell series on ballet showing a reel from an original black and white BBC TV production of Sleeping Beauty.

"I looked on YouTube and there it was with the Fonteyn costume. She came out of a cave wearing it."

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

I wonder whether there's a way of separating the historical information and commentary from discussion of the current run of The Sleeping Beauty? This thread is headed RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023. So maybe that should be the focus? But the history (currently running at 25% of the posts but each one really quite long) seems to merit a thread of its own.

Apologies to the Mods as I know that this could mean more work for you.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Continued! 

Any chance you could just start a new thread for all this historical info. I'm sure plenty of folk would enjoy reading it - and equally plenty of folk just want to read about the current performances.

Ta muchly

• Like 3

On 05/05/2023 at 23:08, Dawnstar said:

Ooh, does that mean I might finally see a Lilac Fairy other than Gina Storm-Jensen on 15th? Fingers crossed.

I have it from a reliable source that there'll be a new Lilac Fairy making her debut this time round.  Not sure I can say who yet but I for one am looking forward to seeing this dancer have a go.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Silke H said:

I have it from a reliable source that there'll be a new Lilac Fairy making her debut this time round.  Not sure I can say who yet but I for one am looking forward to seeing this dancer have a go.

Can we play a guessing game about who it is on the dark web? 😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob S said:

That would be interesting...I was thinking Leticia

Dias rather than Stock presumably? Has she recovered from her mid-Cinderella injury yet? She didn't appear on any cast sheets for the rest of that run.

I first thought Leticia Dias as well but then has Itziar Mendizabal ever performed Lilac Fairy? Otherwise Dias or maybe even Sae Maeda? But not sure if she is senior enough? 

16 hours ago, Silke H said:

have either Mariko Sasaki or Meaghan Grace Hinkis danced Lilac Fairy?

40 minutes ago, LinMM said:

has Itziar Mendizabal ever performed Lilac Fairy?

Yes, in 2011 and 2017 according to the ROH performance database. I didn't know that until I looked it up though, after I'd spoken to her when I saw her as the Fairy Godmother & she said something that indicated that she'd danced the Lilac Fairy in the past but not recently.

• Like 2

I was just thinking back to Cinderella and I suppose the nearest Fairy variation to the Lilac Fairy “quality” is probably the Summer variation….though with a bit of Winter mixed in! 
So maybe Mica Bradbury is in with a chance? 
I am supposing though that Buvoli has performed the role already…or she would be a good choice ….and  Choe presumably has already performed it too. 
Not really sure if would really suit Meghan Grace Hinkis even though she’s a little senior. 
So must be one of the younger dancers I think. 

Just to mix all the jokes, puns, and because I’m not going to hunt around various social media posts and hints, I’m going to guess Charlotte Tonkinson, Leticia Stock and Viola Pantuso (Violet being several shades down from lilac, and many violas contain lilac colour) for Lilac Fairy. This isn’t being flippant- all three are talented enough to dance the role. I look forward to The Great Reveal when we attend later in the run. (Rail companies please sort out your pay issues!) Wishing Leticia Dias a speedy recovery too.

Had she not been injured, I would have cast Leticia Dias in a heartbeat. But, if she is now sidelined (as could be likely 😪), my money would be on Mariko Sasaki or Mica Bradbury.

I don't think that Meagan Grace Hinkis or Sae Maeda have the 'stature' for the role.

But how about the 'left field' choice of Anna Rose O'Sullivan? She doesn't seem to have had all that much stage time of late.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

and  Choe presumably has already performed it too.

Wading through the ROH performance database, I can't find that Choe's danced the Lilac Fairy. I see, to my surprise, that she did do Aurora in 2014 and 2016. She's really been downgraded in recent seasons then. The likewise downgraded Melissa Hamilton looks to have had a go at the Lilac Fairy back in 2014 then not since so presumably she isn't in contention for this run either. (I wish the ROH would get a move on & get all the dancer biographies back online, as it'd make it much faster to check who's danced what.)

• Like 3

I love Viola Pantuso but think she is just a little too young for the role as yet!! …and she is tiny.  She is my one to watch though along with Ella Newton Severgnini (Aud Jebsen) 

• Like 3

Yuhui Choe was a wonderful Aurora in 2014 when I saw her dance with Matthew Golding- rock solid in all the balances, so musical, and the right amount of sweetness and serenity without being cloying. Would love to see her as Lilac Fairy too, as well as Hamilton (whom I missed previously due to work). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

On 07/05/2023 at 07:06, Sim said:

many of us started saying 'give them R&J'....they did, and who could ever forget that debut performance? 

This part of Sim's lovely review really hit home for me. By lucky chance I saw their R&J debut. And was blown away.

While I was a ballet fan prior, I didn't really book for specific casts. Yasmine and Matty were so amazing together, I realised I needed to see them again. And that prompted my deeper knowledge of the different dancers. Which led to seeing multiple casts for each ballet, vs just going once. So I have a lot to thank them for (except for the blow to my budget 🤣

• Like 12

On 07/05/2023 at 12:06, Sim said:

Music-wise, I can't remember ever having heard the score played so beautifully. 

Yes, I noticed things that I'd not caught before - example: the cats duet (not my fave bit, I can't deny) but the orchestra sounded like the alley cats had been let loose, very evocative!

Agree with 99.9% - one very slight caveat, was Matthew's partnering that was occasionally a bit too 'grippy' (almost knocking Yasmine off balance en pointe once or twice during a pirouette). When compared to Gary Avis' masterclass as the English Prince, it was quite noticeable. But let's be honest, a minor quibble nevertheless

• Like 2