PRESS RELEASE: BLACK SABBATH THE BALLET ANNOUNCED BY CARLOS ACOSTA, DIRECTOR OF BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

No no, Hendrix was NOT heavy metal at all.  He may be considered a precursor by some.  I saw him in 1970 and don't think he would even have liked Heavy Metal (though I like both him and it).

Hendrix may not have BEEN heavy metal, but he was certainly an influence (with tunes like 'Prurple Haze' and the like, plus earlier 'You Really Got Me' by The Kinks). Throw in Cream's wild moments, and early Led Zeppelin, the early Black Sabbath, who many say defined the start of the genre, were undoubtedly expanding on these influences and running with it

Hendrix was hugely influential and definitely gave rise to the genre that became heavy metal.  Maybe hard rock, or rock blues, is what he was...although he was so unique that he is hard to categorise into one genre. He was also so humble with it.  Apparently after his performance at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 a reporter asked him how it felt to be the greatest guitar player in the world.  "Go ask Rory Gallagher", he replied (RG had just come off stage from his performance).  

• Like 3

Greatest guitar player?  Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Charley Christian, Django Reinhardt - and my favourite, the relaxed, supremely elegant Jim Hall.  And apologies to others I've forgotten.   All playing 'proper' guitars, too.   Just sayin', as folk say these days.

• Like 1

Like Clapton, I would regard Hendrix as innovative in his own way and I don't link him with the particular rock genre that became known as Heavy Metal...not when you listen to something as sensitive and complex as "Little Wing" for example.   If anything those two fantastic guitarists are/ were Blues inspired, as indeed was the brilliant Rory Gallagher. Personally  I think that  the music of Hendrix  would be much more interesting as a potential ballet score than Black Sabbath's output....but then of course  he didn't come  from Birmingham!

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

This is going to be interesting!  Bravo to Carlos for engineering this unique Birmingham collaboration.  

I am concerned that the orchestration might soften the heavy metal aspect.  I do hope not! 

It’s not the first time Black Sabbath have been connected with ballet … their song IRON MAN features in the soundtrack for ‘Dancer’, the documentary movie about Sergei Polunin.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Greatest guitar player?  Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Charley Christian, Django Reinhardt - and my favourite, the relaxed, supremely elegant Jim Hall.  And apologies to others I've forgotten.   All playing 'proper' guitars, too.   Just sayin', as folk say these days.

As indeed did Rory Gallagher.  He usually used to include an acoustic section in his sets and you could always hear a pin drop the fans were so entranced.

I love that Jimi quote re Rory!  

• Like 2

On 08/02/2023 at 15:39, Odyssey said:

but it might be fun to have a thread about bands who have collaborated with dance companies  over the years.

I know you hate Maurice Béjart over there in the UK, but his "Ballet for Life", aka "Le Presbytère n'a rien perdu de son charme, ni le jardin de son éclat" with music by Queen was an event every time I saw it. It had everything - Versace costumes, songs by Queen and music by Mozart, Aids, a devilish Gil Roman with great solos, the late  Jorge Donn on a movie screen to "I want to break free", and Béjart himself standing on the stage in a moving finale with "The Show must go on".  Those were the days...  Queen recorded a "Making of" with the Béjart Ballet Lausanne later on, it's on DVD. The full-length ballet dates from 1996.

One of the first ballets with popular music was Gerald Arpino’s "Trinity" in 1970, during the Vietnam war, with jazz/rock music especially composed. Then Twyla Tharps “Deuce Coupe” in 1973 with the Beach Boys, her “Nine Sinatra Songs”, her Broadway shows like “Movin’ out” (Billy Joel) or “The Times They Are A-Changin’” (Bob Dylan). William Forsythe made “Love Songs” in 1979, with songs by Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin it was a #MeToo ballet long before #MeToo (and alas, he won't license it any more, for nobody). The German choreographer Marco Goecke used music by Johnny Cash, Tori Amos, Björk, Kate Bush or Lady Gaga. So Carlos Acosta's idea is not really revolutionary, and the piece may very well be interesting!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Hendrix was a wonderful player of acoustic guitar too - a real virtuoso.

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Just checked the Hippodrome website and it's selling very strongly.

I had quite a long wait to get into the site - but got my cheap stalls ticket for the Thursday matinee. Just have to hope there are no train strikes now...

• Like 1

Am very pleased this is selling well and I hope it is successful. Sounds really unique. However, it does seem to confirm that Carlos (rather like ENB) is continuing his classics and modern programming while ignoring the heritage choreographers such as Ashton,  MacMillan,  Cranko, De Valois, Bintley etc. A shame as BRB under David Bintley put together some splendid triple bills of these works, often better than what the RB do (or did) as we've seen several great RB heritage triples in the last few years. Perhaps next season Carlos too can programme some great triple bills or even full length works by these choreographers. I do hope so.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

From Sadler's Wells website:

Members get more!

Join now to the be the first to know about tickets for Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Black Sabbath -The Ballet, on sale this May. Become a member for 20% off and priority booking – it pays to be a member.

So presumably it will be in their autumn visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Extra Birmingham Hippodrome performance added for Black Sabbath – The Ballet

Our original Birmingham run of Black Sabbath - The Ballet sold out within days. We're delighted to announce an additional performance of this spectacular new show on Sunday 24 September at 1pm.

Tickets are on public sale from 11am on Monday 24 April. But you don't have to wait! Secure your tickets today by becoming a BRB supporter.

Click here to find out more and unlock access to your tickets now.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 23:43, alison said:

Oh, sorry, guess my email's later than Pulcinella's!

You helped BRB advertise for BRB supporters 😁

I bet they could schedule TWO additional  shows in Birmingham and still sell out, or at least over 95%. They’re at that snowball effect part of advance marketing now,  where there’s a lot of enthusiasm, then more people book because they think others booking are “in the know” and must be on to something (we haven’t even seen a single step or heard the score yet!), and then others book because they’re curious as to what all the fuss is about. 😆 I know a lot of friends booked for Hamilton the musical in advance simply because they wanted to know what the hype and fuss on Broadway had been about. 

I’d love to see that happen more for ballet, especially some of the really outstanding triple bills, which don’t get as much hype. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

There's just been a really nice feature about BRB and the Black Sabbath Ballet on BBC Breakfast News.  The news programmes are available on the iPlayer for 24 hours and the item started around 0845.

Black Sabbath the Ballet is also on at Plymouth Theatre Royal on 12-14 October and Sadler's Wells 18-21 October.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SheilaC said:

The package also claimed that they hope to present it worldwide.

(Could that be why booking still hasn’t opened in Sunderland. The company has never replied to my request for a booking date.)

Interesting about worldwide, I assume they will book things in once they know that it’s a hit in the uk. I guess they will take it to New York?

10 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

There's just been a really nice feature about BRB and the Black Sabbath Ballet on BBC Breakfast News.  The news programmes are available on the iPlayer for 24 hours and the item started around 0845.

Black Sabbath the Ballet is also on at Plymouth Theatre Royal on 12-14 October and Sadler's Wells 18-21 October.

Yep BRB just posted about it on Instagram. 18 to 21 Oct, Sadlers Wells. Booking for BRB supporters opens on the 15th of May and general public on the 22nd.

• Like 1

QlJCIGxvZ28ucG5n

PRESS RELEASE
28 April 2023

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES
BLACK SABBATH THE BALLET LONDON / ON SALE DATES
PLUS EXTRA PERFORMANCE IN BIRMINGHAM

• DUE TO PHENOMENAL DEMAND EXTRA PERFORMANCE AT BIRMINGHAM HIPPODROME, NOW ON SALE, ON 24 SEPTEMBER AT 1PM

• PERFORMANCES AT SADLERS WELLS, LONDON CONFIRMED 18 - 21 OCTOBER,  GENERAL ON SALE 22 MAY

• TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR PLYMOUTH THEATRE ROYAL 12 - 14 OCTOBER 

• FIRST LOOK AT CHOREOGRAPHY IN REHEARSALS ATTENDED BY TONY IOMMI

• HEAVY METAL DANCE EXPERIENCE WILL FEATURE 8 BLACK SABBATH TRACKS REORCHESTRATED FOR THE ROYAL BALLET SINFONIA PLUS NEW MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE BAND

• LEAD CHOREOGRAPHER PONTUS LIDBERG, LEAD COMPOSER CHRISTOPHER AUSTIN, DESIGN BY ALEXANDRE ARRECHEA AND DRAMATURGY BY RICHARD THOMAS 

NEW  REHEARSAL IMAGES AVAILABLE  KRIS ASKEY HERE 

BRB ARTIST SOFIA LIÑARES PHOTOS  PEROU HERE

CARLOS ACOSTA & TONY IOMMI ON BLACK SABBATH BRIDGE, BIRMINGHAM, PHOTO DREW TOMMONS HERE

Birmingham Royal Ballet today announces dates for performance at London’s Sadler’s Wells - 18 - 21 October, with tickets going on general sale on 22 May. The run in Birmingham completely sold out and an extra matinee has been added at 1pm on 24 September. Tickets are still available at Plymouth Theatre Royal 12 - 14 October.

QmxhY2sgU2FiYmF0aCAyMDIzIC0gSGlwcG9kcm9tZSBzb2NpYWwgaW1hZ2UgMTkyMCB4IDEwODAgbm8gbG9nby5qcGc=

Following an initial two-week rehearsal period, a first listen / look at some of the music and choreography were shared with supporters and media yesterday. The show is still very much a work in progress with months to go until the opening, however early signs show great excitement amongst the ranks involved with Carlos Acosta saying: ‘It has been so great to finally have all of our creative team together after so much planning, and to get started on the actual creation process for this very ambitious show. There has been such an electric atmosphere in the rehearsal room, but also, this is just the beginning, there’s so much more to come!’

Tony Iommi, who has been present at some rehearsals and has been visited in his studio by Black Sabbath Ballet composer Christoper Austin, had this to say about the direction the show is heading in: ‘It’s beginning to feel very real now after so much planning by everyone involved. I have to say I had no idea what our music was going to sound like, how it would work in the context  for a ballet, but I’m really excited by what I’ve heard so far. Things are being taken in a really interesting direction and I even dropped into the ballet rehearsal out of curiosity and, well, they’ve got some moves!’

A full-length, three-act, Ballet Now commission, this brand-new work brings together a host of international creatives including lead Swedish choreographer Pontus Lidburg, Cuban designer Alexandre Arrechea, Tony Award winning composer Christopher Austin with additional choreographers Raúl Reinoso and Cassi Abranches and composers Marko Nyberg and Sun Keting. Richard Thomas is dramaturg for the project and lighting design is by Kieron Johnson. Capsule Director Lisa Meyer is Metal Curator. See full biographies for the creative team in notes.

The 8 Black Sabbath tracks that will feature are: Paranoid (Paranoid, 1970);  Ironman (Paranoid, 1970); War Pigs (Paranoid, 1970); Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath, 1970); Solitude (Master of Reality, 1971);  Orchid (Master of Reality, 1971); Laguna Sunrise (Vol 4, 1972) and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, 1973). The music will be re-orchestrated for the Royal Ballet Sinfonia with new compositions inspired by Black Sabbath also performed live by the orchestra. On the stage guitars and drums will be integrated into the performance.

Black Sabbath - The Ballet is the second Birmingham-focussed commission from Carlos Acosta. The first, City of a Thousand Trades which looked at the city’s industrial heritage and multicultural communities, premiered in 2021.

The idea of a Black Sabbath ballet has been on Carlos Acosta’s mind since he first arrived in Birmingham at the start of 2020, just before the pandemic hit. Black Sabbath played their first ever gig in The Crown pub just a stone’s throw from Birmingham Royal Ballet’s base on Thorp Street. The pub was recently saved from demolition and is deemed a heritage site by fans.

Listings information

Black Sabbath - The Ballet 

Birmingham Hippodrome

Sat 23 Sep 7.30pm SOLD OUT

Sun 24 Sep 1pm

Wed 27 Sep 7.30pm PN

Thu 28 Sep 2pm & 7.30pm SOLD OUT

Fri 29 Sep 7.30pm SOLD OUT

Sat 30 Sep 2pm & 7.30pm SOLD OUT

www.birminghamhippodrome.com

Plymouth Theatre Royal
Thu 12 Oct 7.30pm PN

Fri 13 Oct 7.30pm

Sat 14 Oct 2.30pm & 7.30pm

https://theatreroyal.com/whats-on/2023b-black-sabbath/

Sadler’s Wells, London

Wed 18 Oct 7.30pm PN
Thu 19 Oct 7.30pm

Fri 20 Oct 7.30pm

Sat 21 Oct 2pm & 7.30pm

General booking opens 22 May https://www.sadlerswells.com/

NOTES TO EDITORS:

CHOREOGRAPHY

PONTUS LIDBERG – Lead Choreographer

Lidberg has created works for dance companies including Paris Opera Ballet, New York City Ballet, Martha Graham Dance Company, Vienna Staatsoper Ballet, Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo, Semperoper Ballet Dresden, Royal Swedish Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, Le Ballet du Grand Théâtre de Genève, Acosta Danza, and Beijing Dance Theatre 

His work has been commissioned and presented by festivals and venues including Montpellier Danse, Théâtre National de Chaillot, Basel Ballet, Miami City Ballet, The Joyce Theater, the National Arts Centre of Canada, New York City Center’s Fall For Dance Festival, the Havana International Ballet Festival and the Spoleto Festival. 

His work Siren received a Villanueva Award from UNEAC, The National Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba in 2018. 

In 2021, he won the Lumen Prize, Nordic Award for Art and Technology for Centaur.

His film, The Rain, received numerous awards. The New York Times wrote “memorably, The Rain illustrates what filmed dance can say that staged dance cannot.”

His first feature film, Written on Water, starring Aurélie Dupont premiered at Le Festival International du Film sur l'Art in Montréal in 2021.

Raised in Stockholm, Sweden, Lidberg trained at the Royal Swedish Ballet School and the Conservatoire National de Musique et de Danse de Paris.. 

He was  the Artistic Director of Danish Dance Theatre in Copenhagen, Denmark until March 2023

RAÚL REINOSO - Choreographer

Born in Pinar del Río, in 2002, since 2015 he has been a dancer with Acosta Danza.

As a choreographer he has created Anadromous, a piece that was part of the show “A Classical Farewell”, by Carlos Acosta, that was performed in United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and Hong Kong. 

With Beatriz García he created the dueto Nosotros, premiered by Acosta Danza. 

With this choreography he performed at the Fire Island Dance Festival 2017, in New York. 

In 2018, Raúl Reinoso premiered his choreography Satori. This piece won the Villanueva Award from the Association of Scenic Critics, as one of the best shows presented in Cuba in 2018.

CASSI ABRANCHES - Choreographer

Born in São Paulo, Brazil, in 1974. As a dancer, Cassi performed with Brazil's Raça Cia de Dança, Balé do Teatro Castro Alves and Balé do Teatro Guaíra, before she joined Grupo Corpo in 2001, where she danced until 2013. As a choreographer, Cassi has created numerous works for Grupo Corpo that have toured the world.

Besides her work for dance companies, Cassi has choreographed for film, commercials and music videos, including the creation of Pas-de-Deux from the movie Rio, I Love You.  
She was Director of Movement and Choreographer of Rio 2016 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony. 

On 6 June, 2019, Cassi's Agora, was premiered by São Paulo Cia de Dança and then toured to the Moviemento Festival in Wolfsburg, Germany.   In February, 2020, Agora received the APCA Award 2019 in Sao Paulo for Best Choreography/Creation. Sao Paolo Ci de Dança plans to tour Agora to Europe and the UK in 2021. 

More recently, in November 2020, Cassi created Respiro, her response to lockdown for São Paolo Cia de Dança which premiered at Teatro Alfa and on line. In September 2021, Cassi was appointed the new Artistic Director of Balé da Cidade de São Paulo in Brazil.

COMPOSITION

CHRISTOPHER AUSTIN - Lead Composer, Project Music Supervisor, Conductor

Tony® Award-winning orchestrator Christopher Austin will create a new score for choreographer Pontus Lidberg, forming the final act of this evening length work. He is also Music Supervisor for the whole ballet. 

Austin’s Tony® and Drama Desk Award-winning orchestrations for Christopher Wheeldon’s An American in Paris followed on from his work with Joby Talbot, arranging and orchestrating music by The White Stripes for Wayne McGregor’s Chroma, and working on Talbot’s score for Christopher Wheeldon’s critically acclaimed Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland(both for the Royal Ballet). Chroma, Alice and An American in Paris are performed around the world. More recently for the Royal Ballet (in 2017), Austin made new orchestrations for Mark-Anthony Turnage’s score Strapless and orchestrated Frank Moon’s music for Arthur Pita’s The Wind.  

Christopher Austin’s most recent dance collaboration was his Houston Ballet commissioned score for Arthur Pita’s Good Vibrations, which premiered in September 2022.

For Rambert, Austin has arranged and orchestrated music by Alex North for Javier de Frutos’s Elysian Fields (2011) and created new orchestrations of Witold Lutosławski’s Chain 2 and Symphony No. 4 for Kim Brandstrup’s Life is a Dream (2018). 

Austin’s work as a conductor for dance includes Ballet Boyz (for Javier de Frutos and Pontus Lidberg); CCN Roubaix - Carolyn Carlson (for the Carlson/Talbot ballet Eau at the Opéra de Lille and elsewhere); and Rambert’s Life is a Dream.Austin will be conducting the first performances of Black Sabbath - The Ballet.

Since 2020, Austin has been working as both conductor and orchestrator with singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright.

Christopher Austin studied composition at Bristol University (with Raymond Warren and Adrian Beaumont) and at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (with Robert Saxton and Simon Bainbridge).

MARKO NYBERG - Composer / Sound Design

Marko Nyberg is the studio head of El Camino Helsinki and one of Finland’s most sought-after writers of film scores and advertising music.

As the founder and main songwriter of the ambient pop ensemble Husky Rescue - set up in 2002 and currently on a hiatus - Nyberg has released four studio albums and performed at music festivals from Glastonbury to Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits. Husky Rescue’s music has been featured in a number of advertisements and TV series, including HBO series The Sopranos, the BBC’s Top Gear and the Netflix’s Lovesick.

Since the late ’90s, Nyberg has provided rich aural tapestries for the likes of Nokia, Wrigley’s, Finnair and Colemans. He was nominated for the HARPA Nordic Film Composers Award in 2017 for his score for Ville Jankeri’s Onnenonkija.

Nyberg is currently finishing his debut solo album, a follow-up to the early 2022 solo EP 'Ingrid'. This eponymous, multidisciplinary solo project combines raw emotion with neoclassical and techno, and is often accompanied by contemporary dance and abstract video art.

markonyberg.com

SUN KETING - Composer

Sun Keting is a London-based, China-born composer, researcher, and creative director. Her composition work is focused on multidisciplinary collaboration, combining with Eastern cultural, spiritual, and philosophical elements. Her works have been described as “the future way to go” (The Independent) and “very attractive for its harmonic imagination, mastery of instrumentation” (Bachtrack).

Keting’s music has been performed in the U.K (including the Aldeburgh Festival and Tête-à-tête) the U.S., Europe and Asia. She has composed music for the London Symphony Orchestra, the London Philharmonic Orchestra, the BBC Singers, the National Youth Choir of Great Britain, the Riot Ensemble, the Silk Road Ensemble, the Ligeti Quartet, Psappha, the Shanghai Philharmonic Orchestra, and the National Chinese Orchestra, Taiwan.

Keting has also composed music for film and dance, including a collaboration with Rome-based Chinese choreographer/artist Huang Xiao. They jointly created the dance works Ensō and Now I will do nothing but Listen, with music performed by members of the London Symphony Orchestra at LSO St. Luke’s. 

Keting is graduate of both the Shanghai Conservatory of Music (BA) and the Royal Academy of Music in London (MMus) where she is currently completing a doctorate in composition.

ketingsun.com

DESIGN

ALEXANDRE ARRECHEA - Designer

Alexandre graduated from Instituto Superior de Arte (ISA) in Havana in 1994.

His work comprises large-scale  installations, sculptures, watercolour drawings, and videos that debate such issues as history, memory, politics, and the power relations of the urban space.   

His mode of working site specifically makes him explore the ideological and philosophical legacy of the surrounding context to create a more engaging interaction with the audience. 

His exploration of space contemplates cultural resonances implicit in architecture, from design to social value, and how these  condition its multiple readings. 

He is internationally renowned as one of the founding members of the Cuban collective, Los Carpinteros [The Carpenters], active between 1991 and 2003. 

Embarking on his solo career in the same year, Arrechea is widely recognized for No limits (2013), a monumental project composed of ten sculptures inspired by iconic buildings in New York City and erected along Park Avenue, and Katrina Chairs (2016), erected at the Coachella Music Festival, Palm Springs, California, USA. 

Last December, he created “Dreaming with Lions,” an immersive rotunda resembling an enormous forum-cum-library installed at Faena Miami Beach.

KIERON JOHNSON - Lighting Designer

Kieron is a lighting designer for dance, theatre and opera. They are a graduate of the ALPD 20:20 Lumiere Scheme. Recent credits include, Dogs(Liverpool Playhouse), Happy Meal(Traverse/Roots/Theatre Royal Plymouth), Knot of the Heart (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire), Masters Showcase (Guildford School of Acting), Smile: The Musical(Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts), Celebrated Virgins (Theatr Clwyd), Coming to England (Associate/Birmingham Rep), As You Like It (Northern Broadsides/National Tour), Black Is...(Fubunation/Sadler’s Wells),Decades: Stories from the City (Leeds Playhouse), West Side Story: Symphonic Dances (Opera North), EBÓ and BlackWaters (Phoenix Dance Theatre), Head Above Water and Khepr (Joss Arnott Dance).

RICHARD THOMAS - Dramaturg

Richard Thomas is an Olivier-Award winning composer and writer and is best known for writing and composing Jerry Springer - The Opera, the first-ever musical to win all four British 'Best Musical' awards.  

Richard wrote the lyrics for the musical adaptation of Made in Dagenham, which opened at the Adelphi Theatre in London's West End in 2014 with music by David Arnold

He is also known for his BBC2 television series Kombat Opera Presents which won two Rose D'Or awards in 2008 for Best Comedy and Best Programme across all categories. 

Richard has also written songs for two seasons of the Emmy-nominated  The Tracey Ullman Show (BBC1/HBO)

Richard is working on a several new musicals, amongst which are "Rock Bottom - the AA musical”,  “Grayson Perry- The Musical?!”, “Singing Heads” for The New Group in New York as well as a series of piano-dramas including "The Covid-19 Variations” which have already been heard at The Guggenheim Theatre (NYC) and Birmingham Rep.

CAPSULE / HOME OF METAL
Lisa Meyer is the Artistic Director/CEO of Capsule, an arts organisation which she co-founded in 1999. Capsule crafts extraordinary events for adventurous audiences and has gained an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative arts producer, initiating, commissioning and producing multi- disciplinary work. Capsule is responsible for a number of high profile projects, including Home of Metal and the critically acclaimed annual Supersonic Festival, an experimental arts and music festival which draws audiences, artists and industry professionals from across the globe.

Lisa is responsible for conceiving and curating Home Of Metal, a highly ambitious and internationally recognised heritage project which was the first of its kind.  Home of Metal joinS the dots between music, social history, visual art and fan cultures to produce a new perspective on Heavy Metal, one that tells the broad and diverse story of Metal, from the pioneers of 50 years ago, to the contemporary innovators. The ‘Black Sabbath: 50 Years’ blockbuster exhibition in 2019 was  devoted to the music that was born in and around Birmingham. Music that turned up the volume, down-tuned the guitars, and introduced a whole new meaning to the word ‘heavy’, attracting 24,000 paying visitors from 52 countries.

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 175 shows a year nationally and internationally.

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances with Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, and La Scala Ballet. www.brb.org.uk

Ballet Now is generously supported by Oak Foundation’s Special Interest Programme, which provided major funding for the project, Foyle Foundation, Anthony Coombs and The Keith Coombs Trust, The Big Give 2017, The John Feeney Charitable Trust, The John S Cohen Foundation, The H Steven and PE Wood Charitable Trust, The W and M Morris Charitable Trust, the estate of Judith and John Percival, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s New Work Syndicate 2017 and Director’s Appeal 2017.

• Thanks 1