PRESS RELEASE: BLACK SABBATH THE BALLET ANNOUNCED BY CARLOS ACOSTA, DIRECTOR OF BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It’s great to see this has sold so well (completely sold out in Birmingham too). Hopefully it it’s good it’ll get revived quickly next year. There’s a lot of good potential here so will watch reviews with anticipation as sadly I don’t think I can go to this one!

Not very inspiring, for me, from this clip...a few standard ballet moves mixed in repetitively with a bit of half-hearted air guitar, cliched jumping on the spot on two feet, and mild head banging. Not convinced that  either "Paranoid" or ballet benefits from this treatment! 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I found the ballet disappointing… more like a high school musical.  I had been expecting something to match the fabulous poster of the female dancer with a guitar and hair.  Even the costumes and lighting didn’t measure up.  Oh well. 

• Like 2

I always thought it was a bums on seats fundraiser of a ballet, a piece of clever marketing by Carlos Acosta. It certainly gained a great deal of publicity and filled theatres. 

• Like 2

I went to the matinee after the Sadler's premiere.  It was all that I could get a ticket for and was grateful at that.  I had to rearrange my schedule to make it I remember.  I really wanted to like this after all the response here and the hype.  I really wanted it to be a hopeful marker for BRB's new leadership.  I found it tawdry and boring.  It was bitterly disappointing.  You'd have to pay me to see it again.   Best wishes to those who love it.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1