Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

A stellar cast list. To borrow a phrase from elsewhere, on the basis of what I saw this morning, “All is calm, all is bright” for Nutcracker 22/23.

I'm so envious you went to the rehearsal - I work in a school and am not allowed time off during the school term, so couldn't go. I  am glad you enjoyed the rehearsal. I'm going on Thursday to ROH to see this cast. I stupidly booked this date thinking the cinema relay was the 13th, so am a bit annoyed with myself, as I'd loved to have gone to the cinema relay and the live performance the week after too. I am very excited though as this is the cast I wanted to see most (I'd happily see any of them though!)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm so envious you went to the rehearsal - I work in a school and am not allowed time off during the school term, so couldn't go. I  am glad you enjoyed the rehearsal. I'm going on Thursday to ROH to see this cast. I stupidly booked this date thinking the cinema relay was the 13th, so am a bit annoyed with myself, as I'd loved to have gone to the cinema relay and the live performance the week after too. I am very excited though as this is the cast I wanted to see most (I'd happily see any of them though!)

I am lucky that I can balance taking holiday with taking colleagues as a treat/first time at the ballet (which I think is the best use of my rehearsal tickets to try to get more people into ballet) so sometimes don’t need to take holiday!

I know we don’t comment on rehearsal performances but there are a couple of things to mention:-

Thrilled with cast today.

Lovely to have all of the children back.

Was lovely to get SPW’s battle scene back - although I don’t recall seeing the gingerbread men back on stage! 

I think but am not certain that Covid safe performances didn’t have a live choir for the snowflake scene - they definitely did today!

Colleagues fell in love with the magic of the ROH today and one thinking of going back already so mission successful!

• Like 11

Am I allowed to say I miss the old choreography relating to the Arabian Dance? Far more enticing and matched the music to a tee.

The last 10 minutes of Act One and the whole of Act Two remain glorious visually and contain some of Tchaikovsky's most memorable, rhapsodic melodies. 

10 minutes ago, Robin Smith said:

Am I allowed to say I miss the old choreography relating to the Arabian Dance? Far more enticing and matched the music to a tee.

The last 10 minutes of Act One and the whole of Act Two remain glorious visually and contain some of Tchaikovsky's most memorable, rhapsodic melodies. 

If you mean the Ashton one I totally agree. A mini ballet in its own right.

• Like 2

I saw the rehearsal today and all I can say is - I experienced far more goose bumps than from any performance of Mayerling. Yes, it's that tree growing, the glorious Act 1 pdd between the Nutcracker and Clara and of course, the music.  Not to mention the wonderful Will and Fumi.  I think we were on rehearsal rations for the glitter, so roll on Gary Avis tomorrow!  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

Lovely to have all of the children back.

Was lovely to get SPW’s battle scene back - although I don’t recall seeing the gingerbread men back on stage! 

I’d been watching it for years and had no idea either that there were gingerbread dancers until my daughter (RBS year 7) announced that she was cast as the ‘Spanish gingerbread’! *
I always look out for them now and they were there today 😀

(*That was many years ago)

Edited by RobR
Clarifying
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

I’d been watching it for years and had no idea either that there were gingerbread dancers until my daughter (RBS year 7) announced that she was cast as the ‘Spanish gingerbread’! 
I always look out for them now and they were there today 😀

Phew! I must have been focussing on something else (and the lack of the giant wheelchair as used in Covid version)!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

ROH just posted this on FB and if this video clip of Fumi Kaneko rehearsing is anything to go by, Thursday is looking good!!!

https://www.facebook.com/royaloperahouse/videos/851368895903098

Lovely! Fumi is a class act and has such grace when she moves and exquisite arms.  I have booked for the cinema relay and I'm so looking forward to it.    

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I understand that this is due to the same issues with the stage that prevented the coffin being lowered in Mayerling.

Although he also made his entrance via the wheelchair during the cut-back covid performances, if I’m remembering correctly.  

Very happy to see Magri's doing the Rose Fairy tonight. I'd been hoping she would for the first night, as I think she's the only Principal who still does the role, but when I saw her on the cast sheet for yesterday's Friends Rehearsal I thought she probably wouldn't do 2 days running & so I wouldn't get to see her. But she is & I am.

• Like 5

Lovely to see Sir Peter Wright join the cast for the final curtain call this evening. It's the first time I've been to a Nutcracker first night so it's the first time I've ever seen him live! To be honest I found his appearance more moving, given his age & how frail he looks, than any of the actual performance. (I probably should clarify that this does not mean to imply that I did not enjoy the performance, just that the Nutcracker isn't the sort of ballet to give me a lump in my throat.)

Edited by Dawnstar
Added parenthesis.
  • Like 10

Oh my gosh - what a magnificent gpdd from Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball (I'm biased, it was mainly her! 😉  ) on Nutcracker's opening evening. Seeing that reminded me all over again why and how I got hooked on ballet

So lovely to see joy, sparkles, tutus and 'proper' ballet after an almost doom & gloom filled autumn. Happy to report they haven't cut down on Gary Avis' glitter quotient, the tree rose breathtakingly as ever, the battle scene restored, the ugly masks on the character visitors (with St Nicholas) have gone, the heavenly choir is back - and Christmas is on the way!

• Like 25

Just on the "what's changed?" theme - Drosselmeyer froze the boy.  Didn't he used to send the boy into the air?  May I ask, what are the views on the new silver wigs for Snowflakes and the gold wigs for Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince?  

P.S.  How do those crowns stay on SPF and Prince without elastic? 

Edited by Henry
grammar

13 minutes ago, Henry said:

Just on the "what's changed?" theme - Drosselmeyer froze the boy.  Didn't he used to send the boy into the air?  May I ask, what are the views on the new silver wigs for Snowflakes and the gold wigs for Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince?  

P.S.  How do those crowns stay on SPF and Prince without elastic? 

I'm guessing the freeze rather than lift skywards, is some sort of helath & safety issue. Personally, I never thought it looked that good anyway

The crowns are part of the wig I think (for SPF and Prince)

Think the wigs all round aren't changed much - just revamped/refreshed. As it's part of the overall design, I've not given it a whole lot of thought, to be honest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Lovely to see Sir Peter Wright join the cast for the final curtain call this evening. It's the first time I've been to a Nutcracker first night so it's the first time I've ever seen him live! To be honest I found his appearance more moving, given his age & how frail he looks, than any of the actual performance. (I probably should clarify that this does not mean to imply that I did not enjoy the performance, just that the Nutcracker isn't the sort of ballet to give me a lump in my throat.)

I agree, Dawnstar. Though I love Nutcracker, it is not my favourite ballet - it certainly doesn't move me like Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet and Giselle, for example. However, it wouldn't be Christmas for me without it and it is pure magic. It's fun, visually spectacular and I love the Hans Peter/Clara PDD and the Sugar Plum/prince PDD is one of my favourites. It's very entertaining and though I hope to leave ROH on Thursday night full of Christmas excitement and wonder, I won't be shedding a tear as I may have done in the aforementioned ballets. Nutcracker, for me, is a 'feel good' ballet that leaves me with a little happy smile on my face. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Oh my gosh - what a magnificent gpdd from Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball (I'm biased, it was mainly her! 😉  ) on Nutcracker's opening evening. Seeing that reminded me all over again why and how I got hooked on ballet

So lovely to joy, sparkles, tutus and 'proper' ballet after an almost doom & gloom filled autumn. Happy to report they haven't cut down on Gary Avis' glitter quotient, the tree rose breathtakingly as ever, the battle scene restored, the ugly masks on the character visitors (with St Nicholas) have gone, the heavenly choir is back - and Christmas is on the way!

I second that emotion!

A wonderful, sparkling night all round.  

• Like 7

One more point about the curtain calls that I forgot to mention earlier: Gary Avis got a bouquet. Given the flowers-for-men policy has only just been changed, might this have been his first onstage Drosselmeyer bouquet, despite having done goodness knows how many performances!

Most of my curtain call photos this evening were disasterous - I have one photo showing nothing but Sir Peter Wright's arm & stick as he exited! - but here are a few of the slightly less disasterous ones in case anyone is interested. If anyone's got better ones then let me know & I'll ask the moderators to remove mine. (And yes, I checked first that @Rob S wasn't there!)

P1540641.jpg

P1540644.jpg

P1540645.jpg

P1540648.jpg

P1540652.jpg

Yes this next one is a terrible photo but I only managed to get 2 of Avis-with-bouquet & the other one's even worse!

P1540655.jpg

P1540673.jpg

P1540675.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1