Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

16 hours ago, Finnbarr said:

But, pray tell me, Ballet experts, what is the significance of the two stuffed lions that come on with Saint Nick? I don't remember them in the Christmas tradition. Am intrigued.

I wasn't seeing them as lions but as possibly a toned-down, not-too-scary version of "Krampus" who is St Nicholas's evil sidekick in Central Europe. On the ROH stage, they seemed to be carrying some sort of stick or trident to scare kids with, which I why that was my guess - but happy to be corrected by someone who actually knows! I believe depending on your alpine region, you can have more than one Krampus. [What is the collective noun for those? A "frightening"? ;) ]

• Like 5

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there for the matinee today. Vadim and Sarah Lamb danced beautifully, especially considering the last minute change of partner for Ms Lamb. I feel mean in saying this but personally of the two Nutcracker’s I’ve seen thus far this year I preferred watching Fumi and Will though. Vadim and Sarah were wonderful today but for me lacked a certain spark and had an awkward moment in one of the lifts, but hardly surprising seeing as they had to partner one another at extremely short notice which must’ve been very stressful for both of them so to be fair I’m probably being harsh.  

I think the Arabian dance is my favourite part of the whole ballet - Melissa Hamilton is just stunning in it. 

I loved Clara today - she really embodied a young girl and danced so sweetly.

On the audience behaviour front a LOT of very loud nose blowing in the stalls circle near D50 where I was. Also a shouting fight broke out in the cafe when one lady accused another of pushing in the queue - all very un-roh-like behaviour. 

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 2

I was at yesterday evening’s performance of Nutcracker with Hayward and Campbell as SPF and her cavalier, and Sae Maeda and Joseph Sissons as Clara and Hans Peter.

I enjoyed the feeling of Christmas that seeing Nutcracker always brings but the evening didn’t quite take off for me. There had been a matinee in the afternoon which never helps the dancers. However,  there were some charming performances from some of the minor characters. 

Philip Moseley gave a peerless performance as the grandfather. He is able to bring such a very believable feeling of age to his character. 
And Kristen Macnally as the mother also hit exactly the right note for me. 
Giacomo Rovero was a very caring dancing partner to Clara and gave her some wonderful lifts. 

But the highlight of the evening for me was Joseph Sissons, particularly once he turned into Hans Peter. His initial solo was a delight with his arm movements filling all the music. I am a fan. 

I felt that Sae Maeda as Clara did better in the second act where there was less acting to be thought about and she danced charmingly. I am sure she will settle into the fist act with time and practice. 

The pairing of David Yudes and Joonhyuk Jun, each a very good dancer for their role in the Chinese dance, had the challenge of being very different heights and I struggled to understand why they were cast together. 

i know that the Arabian dance has been amended for current sensibilities but I still feel a little uncomfortable with its essence and also feel the loss of the pink trousers of the axed male duo. The two costumes left are mostly cream and look a little insipid on their own. 

For me, neither Ms Hayward’s nor Mr Campbell’s strengths can be highlighted in their roles in this ballet. But the audience around me were very enthusiastic in their applause for both. 

This was my one and only Nutcracker this season and what I did particularly enjoy was the array of younger dancers being given opportunities in the smaller roles. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sophie_B said:

I wasn't seeing them as lions but as possibly a toned-down, not-too-scary version of "Krampus" who is St Nicholas's evil sidekick in Central Europe. On the ROH stage, they seemed to be carrying some sort of stick or trident to scare kids with, which I why that was my guess - but happy to be corrected by someone who actually knows! I believe depending on your alpine region, you can have more than one Krampus. [What is the collective noun for those? A "frightening"? ;) ]

You're entirely right, from someone who lived in the region for a few years (and was introduced to this tradition in a rather terrifying way - a surprise whipping on the bottom by two young boys in devil masks and broomsticks - rather alarming if one has no heads-up or context!)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Finnbarr said:

Just seen a wonderful performance of Nutcracker with Francesca Hayward as a light as a feather Sugar Plum Fairy.

But, pray tell me, Ballet experts, what is the significance of the two stuffed lions that come on with Saint Nick? I don't remember them in the Christmas tradition. Am intrigued.

I watched the behind the scenes video which is on streaming before I went and was amazed to discover that the tree is flat!  Just shows how much I had been taken in by the magic as I always imagined it to be a perfect 3D Christmas tree ( and smelling of pine!)

I am reliably informed that they are devils, which has to do with some of the stories about St Nicholas.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am reliably informed that they are devils, which has to do with some of the stories about St Nicholas.  

Krampus (plural Krampusse) is a devil-like folkloric figure, accompanying Saint Nicholas.  Given that the Nutcracker story is based on a story by E.T.A. Hofmann, the Germanic relation to Krampus makes good sense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

• Like 2

On 18/12/2022 at 12:35, LinMM said:

Gosh I didn’t realise they used actual Dry Ice on the stage! Though not sure how slippy it is ….probably more lethal for pointe shoe wearers though!! 
And welcome to the Forum!!!

There are a lot of misconceptions about how 'clouds' are created on stage. It is not 'ice' as we conventional know and is not experienced as ice as we conventionally feel. It is a vapour - but I will stop there else I will get bogged down in physics: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_smoke_and_fog

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silke H said:

Krampus (plural Krampusse) is a devil-like folkloric figure, accompanying Saint Nicholas.  Given that the Nutcracker story is based on a story by E.T.A. Hofmann, the Germanic relation to Krampus makes good sense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

St Nicholas' Day is 6 December: in the Netherlands he arrives from Spain (nowadays to different ports). He and his helpers throw sweets for children and it is the day children often receive Christmas presents instead of on Christmas Day (when a small present may be received). St Nicholas' Day is also taken seriously in other European countries. The Krampusse that 'arrives' with St Nicholas are symbolic of St Nicholas's ability to cast out devils.  

Krampusse are also seen in other Swiss/Germanic/Austrian countries during Fasching - a single or series of carnival-like celebrations to cast out evil/devils that occur between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday. 

Wright's production is faithful to the the Germanic origin of the story (I'm not referring to choreogrphy) so as Silke points out, it is absolutely in keeping that St Nicholas should make an appearance throwing sweets, accompanied by Krampusse. 

• Like 3

I've just seen the cinema relay. Delayed. My goodness what a gorgeous smile Sae Maeda has! And Fumi Kaneko! Both Joseph Sissens and William Bracewell were excellent. I know Gary Avis is Mr Glitter but it is nice occasionally to see someone else in the cinema, so I was pleased to see Bennet Gartside.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Florine said:

St Nicholas' Day is 6 December: in the Netherlands he arrives from Spain (nowadays to different ports). He and his helpers throw sweets for children and it is the day children often receive Christmas presents instead of on Christmas Day (when a small present may be received). St Nicholas' Day is also taken seriously in other European countries. The Krampusse that 'arrives' with St Nicholas are symbolic of St Nicholas's ability to cast out devils.  

Krampusse are also seen in other Swiss/Germanic/Austrian countries during Fasching - a single or series of carnival-like celebrations to cast out evil/devils that occur between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday. 

Wright's production is faithful to the the Germanic origin of the story (I'm not referring to choreogrphy) so as Silke points out, it is absolutely in keeping that St Nicholas should make an appearance throwing sweets, accompanied by Krampusse. 

If you can stand it, a bit more about Krampus and his ilk

From easily angered gnomes to child-eating giants, European folklore reveals a darker side to Christmas | Art and design | The Guardian

I see a couple of cast changes for the January performances have now been added to the ROH website:

Sae Maeda replaces Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Clara on 4th & 7th (Hinkis still down for 10th & 14th at the moment)

Liam Boswell replaces Joshua Junker as Hans-Peter on 6th

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Reckon Mr Avis on double glitter rations this evening at ROH.

Perhaps next year instead of the Royal Ballet's Pointe Shoes Appeal it should be Gary Avis' Glitter Fund? 😅

I remember on one occasion previously he had "extras"

Edited by MJW
  • Like 9

IMHO we were treated to a masterclass in partnering and musicality tonight by Yasmine Nagdhi & Matthew Ball as the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince. They danced as one. Exquisite and deft footwork and totally as one with the music. Every footstep lyrical, every landing soft and exact whilst every flourish and extension accentuated the music. Joyous. A great final performance before my Christmas break. A gift to treasure. 

• Like 21

46 minutes ago, PeterS said:

IMHO we were treated to a masterclass in partnering and musicality tonight by Yasmine Nagdhi & Matthew Ball as the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince. They danced as one. Exquisite and deft footwork and totally as one with the music. Every footstep lyrical, every landing soft and exact whilst every flourish and extension accentuated the music. Joyous. A great final performance before my Christmas break. A gift to treasure. 

My sentiments too 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blossom said:

Agreed. Yasmine Naghdi is my favourite Sugar Plum from now on! Used every milisecond of the music. A great partnership with Matthew Ball too- they are just magic together. 

They certainly are.  Many of us saw this from their very first partnership together as Olga and Lensky.  Then that unforgettable debut from both of them in R&J.  Then...anything classical and beautiful.  I can't wait to see them again in Sleeping Beauty!  

• Like 4

I just saw about tomorrows performance, my heart goes to the people missing their show, I would imagine going on Christmas eve means they'd planned their whole Christmas around it too.

I obviously support the strikes though, there was a way out of this and everyone could have had a lovely and uninterrupted Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Word of warning for anyone attending this evening and using the train. Last trains from Waterloo appear to be at 9pm, so I am now having to drive up.  

Thanks - I shan’t continue look for any last minute tickets for tonight!

I'm not going tonight anyway, but my trains appear to be running as normal.  So I guess the answer is to double-check your own trains before you set off.  I think these cancellations may be due to overtime bans - although it's difficult to tell what's what now.

• Like 1

Just now, Dawnstar said:

I thought Friday Rush would be an absolute nightmare today, given next week most people will be on holiday so I would expect demand to be really high, but I got in straight away & got the exact seat I wanted. A pleasant surprise.

what lottery numbers are you doing?

• Like 2