Mix & Match Mayerlings?

Well, the Royal Ballet's run of Mayerling has just ended, and it seems to me that there have been more (especially short-notice) cast changes possibly than in any previous run I remember.  So - to those who have seen rather more performances than me, especially: if you could actually put together your best cast from all those who have performed (or possibly who were scheduled to perform) during the run, who would you choose (and why)?

I'm thinking Rudolf, Mary Vetsera, Marie Larisch, Empress Elizabeth, Mitzi Caspar and Bratfisch, although you might want to go further than that.  Over to you ...

• Like 4

• alison changed the title to Mix & Match Mayerlings?

Am afraid I shouldn’t actually answer this at all, Alison, as I haven’t seen many casts. I’m just going to propose a composite imaginary cast from different seasons but who are all still with the company (sort of)

Rudolf- Ryoichi Hirano

Mary Vetsera- Natalia Osipova

Stephanie- Akane Takada

Larisch- Marianela Nunez

Empress- Itziar Mendizabal

Mitzi- Claire Calvert

Bratfisch- Alexander Campbell

Helene Vetsera - Zenaida Yanowsky

Emperor - Gary Avis

Archduchess Sophie- Elizabeth McGorian

Hungarian Officers- Cesar Corrales, Reece Clarke, James Hay, William Bracewell

(it’s very improbably star studded, eg in the officer casting, maybe suitable for a gala...lol). I just think their different talents and approaches (I think it’s safe to say this cast never existed in real life) would add up to a very interesting performance. 😁

Ok, I’ll let members who have actually attended several/many performances with different casts during this run to put forward their suggestions based on actual performances this season. 😊

Edited by Emeralds

Rudolf- Vadim Muntagirov

Mary Vetsera- Francesca Hayward

Stephanie- Yuhui

Larisch- Sarah Lamb

Empress- Gina Storm Jensen

Mitzi- Claire Calvert

Bratfisch- James Hay

Louise Leticia Dias

Valerie as a child Sae Maeda

Hungarian Officers- Cesar Corrales, Reece Clarke, William Bracewell, Leo Dixon

Colonel Middleton Gary Avis

Brothel Woman with one foot on the ground and one reaching for the stars - Maddison Pritchard

• Like 11

The question posed by this thread is impossible to answer (for me) because of the interdependency of the roles/characterisations.

For example, my leading Rudolf of the season was particularly well-served by his female line-up, all of whom contributed to him being nothing short of sensational in the role.

• Like 4

I was wondering what is happening with Cesar! I’d certainly like to see him have a go at the main role some time but as I love Francesca in the role of Mary Vetsera think it wouldn’t be possible for them to perform in this ballet together!!! 

Good question!

I've seen four, and whilst I've found all of them spectacular my dream cast would probably be:

Rudolf - Matthew Ball

Mary Vetsera - Natalia Osipova (That one hardest to answer though)

Larisch - Fumi Kaneko (This one definitely by far the easiest to answer)

Stephanie - Anna Rose O'Sullivan 

Empress - Itziar Mendizabal

Mitzi - Mayara Magri

Louise - Leticia Dias

Hungarian Officers - Happy so long as includes Reece Clarke! 

Fascinating how different everyone's answers are...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capybara said:

The question posed by this thread is impossible to answer (for me) because of the interdependency of the roles/characterisations.

Quite - that was partly why I posed it, because to some extent so many of the performances we actually got were in fact disrupted in terms of casting :)  For instance, I might ideally go for Muntagirov and Hayward, but I'm not sure about them together.

• Like 5

Well, I saw every cast that performed this season except Sambe's and this question is trickier than expected!

On intense reflection (and limiting only to performers this run, and not past ones)

Rudolf - Vadim

Mary Vetsera - Sarah Lamb (toyed between her and Osipova but I have a feeling Osipova wouldn't work well with Vadim's Rudolf!)

Stephanie - Hayward

Larisch - Fumi

Empress - Mendizabal

Mitzi - Nunez

Bratfisch - David Yudes

Colonel Middleton - of course it has to be Gary Avis!

• Like 6

Alison’s posed a very tough question as I’ve been hugely impressed by three Rudolfs - Muntagirov, Ball and Sambe and Ball danced with three Marys, Morera, Naghdi and Takada. I’ll have to choose Rudolf last.

Hayward and Morera were my stand out Marys, Morera and Lamb my stand out Larischs. If we’re looking at fantasy casting, then I’d be very tempted to have Morera dance both Mary and Larisch and I think it would make for an astonishing film to edit Morera dancing both roles in the card scene. But Hayward’s Mary was utterly compelling and gets my vote.

A very hard choice for Larisch with Morera and Lamb both excellent. While I was impressed with Kaneko, Magri and Naghdi, I think it’s a role where experience really counts and I’d go for Morera.

Stephanie must be a nightmare of a role and I find the end of Act 1 truly grim. Hayward is great and while fantasy casting would allow her to dance both Mary and Stephanie, that seems grossly unreasonable to her. I thought O’Sullivan very impressive and was sorry she missed out on a final performance because of the Rudolf changes. But that gave chance to see Choe who was very good. I also was very taken with Hinkis in the one performance I saw. And Gasperini must have danced more Stephanie’s than others. A difficult choice but my vote goes to O’Sullivan.

Elisabeth - an easy choice. Mendizabel was not only in just about every performance I saw but was fabulous every time. I thought the Empress/Bay scenes provided a great contrast to the main drama.

Mitzi - lovely performances from Dias and Kaneko but Magri gets my vote. The last performance may well have swayed my choice, a fabulous tavern/brothel scene and Mitzi seemingly swinging higher and higher with her Hungarian officers.

Louise - lots of good performances but Bradbury gets my vote, wonderful dancing and acting.

Lead Hungarian officer - we’ve had fabulous quartets and I’d go for Bracewell as the lead officer, .

Bratfisch - the most sympathetic character on stage. I was very impressed by Nakao but my vote goes to Hay, beautifully danced, quicksilver footwork, deeply caring for Stephanie, Mary and Rudolph, a great performance.

Bay - Lukas BB was very impressive, including standing in at very short notice on the last night and rehearsing with Mendizabel during the intervals, but I’d vote for Avis.

Conductor - whilst I enjoyed much of Gergiev’s freer tempi, I’d choose Kessels as I think he more readily supports the dancers when needed.

Finally Rudolf - I’d be delighted to see Muntagirov, Ball and Sambé with my dream cast and half wondered about giving them each an Act (in that order). But if pushed for one performance I’d have to choose Sambé - he and Hayward complemented each other so well and theirs was a partnership where without question both were equally committed to the joint suicide.

Edited by JohnS
Forgot Bay!
  • Like 8

Agree that’s a great response and highlights one is often splitting hairs when choosing between dancers!!  
Im still fascinated why Macmillan chose this story for a full length ballet as none of the characters in it are that sympathetic in the end though hats off to any dancer who can make Rudolf a little more likeable …I think Sambe’ definitely did at any rate! 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Agree that’s a great response and highlights one is often splitting hairs when choosing between dancers!!  
Im still fascinated why Macmillan chose this story for a full length ballet as none of the characters in it are that sympathetic in the end though hats off to any dancer who can make Rudolf a little more likeable …I think Sambe’ definitely did at any rate! 

Vadim’s Rudolf elicited sympathy - that was one of the reasons why his performances touched greatness.

• Like 10

Melissa Hamilton was a wonderful Vetsera - beautifully judged and danced. I saw both her performances and found her totally compelling.  I also thought Ryo elicited sympathy, particularly in Act 3 - together they really moved me.

Edited by J_New
To add third sentence
  • Like 5

Yes I said somewhere else that I regretted not being able to see Muntagirov in this run. 

I seem to have a vague memory from reading certain French and German texts at A level ( a long time ago!) that suicide was almost “in vogue” in literature at one time for lovers! 
Thinking of Romeo und Juliet auf dem Dorfe and Andre Gide La Porte Etroite 

Whether this influences the background culture enough to effect how people behave in reality I’m not sure so maybe Rudolf’s preoccupation with Death had a cultural source. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J_New said:

Melissa Hamilton was a wonderful Vetsera - beautifully judged and danced. I saw both her performances and found her totally compelling.  I also thought Ryo elicited sympathy, particularly in Act 3 - together they really moved me.

Totally agree, they were sublime together.

• Like 2

I'd been thinking about this for a week or two already. This is just out of who I've seen this run - which admittedly is pretty much all the casts except Morera (wail!) & Takada as Mary - since this is the first run where I've seen multiple casts to compare. Some of these were very easy to decide (Muntagirov - and I must say before the run I was not at all expecting that) & others very difficult (I really liked all but one of the Mary Vetseras I saw & all 6 Countess Larisches).

Prince Rudolf - Vadim Muntagirov

Mary Vetsera - Laura Morera (I suppose this is cheating because I didn't get to see her due to her getting injured but as the premise is who you want to see the most out of this season's casts she's certainly the Mary Vetsera who I want to see the most!)

Countess Larisch - Sarah Lamb

Princess Stephanie - Isabella Gasparini

Empress - Itziar Mendizabel

Mitzi Caspar - Mayara Magri

Bratfisch - James Hay

Emperor - Christopher Saunders

Bay Middleton - Gary Avis

Hungarian Officers - Reece Clarke, William Bracewell, Calvin Richardson, David Donnelly

Princess Louise - Leticia Dias

Baroness Vetsera - Elizabeth McGorian

Count Hoyos - Leo Dixon

Disapproving husbands - Tomas Mock

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, J_New said:

I’d pencilled in one performance but a family wedding rather scuppered my plan. I’d have liked to have seen Hamilton’s Mary.

59 minutes ago, J_New said:

Also regret not seeing her, do love her in Macmillan - quite glad to see Osipova though, I hate to admit I'm not usually her biggest fan but thought she was spectacular in this role. I thought all four Rudolfs I saw (Hirano, Muntagirov, Ball and Sambe) were extremely sympathetic, and for very different reasons. Very often been disappointed before as some dancers have seemed to really dislike (or misunderstand?) the character and just play him as some obnoxious madman with no redeeming qualities to the point I'm rather glad when he offs himself!  This run has been really superb though, maybe some helpful coaching...? I am very excited for the next round. 

• Like 5

Having been to only two performances of the run (the cinema relay and Muntagirov 2) this is more a wish list rather than based on actual experience, so probably not of great value, but here goes anyway.

Rudolf: Vadim’s interpretation really affected me, so much detail and so sympathetic, rather than just a caricature. Certainly put to bed, comprehensively, any speculation as to whether the part suited him.

Would also love to have seen Ball who I’m sure will have been marvellous too, and delighted that Sambé has received such positive reviews here.

Mary Vetsera: Would love to see Hayward.

Larisch: Morera.

Mitzi: Can imagine Magri will have been ideal. Though I enjoyed Calvert.

Stephanie: O’Sullivan.

Empress: enjoyed Mendizabal in both performances, especially when she showed a different side to the character when with Middleton.

Officers: So many possibilities with the current depth of talent. Bracewell was a wonderful lead, hard to take your eyes off him.

Some characters are obvious. Avis IS Middleton and Hay most definitely IS Bratfisch.

Having said all that, every time we see Mayerling our minds go back many years to Kobborg and Cojocaru. One of those performances that stick in your brain forever! Fabulous and quite terrifying.

• Like 7

Just like to agree with Mendizabal as Empress. First time I’ve seen her on stage for ages on Wednesday so glad she is back!

I particularly remember her terrific performance in Las Hermanas another Macmillan ballet a few years back. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jake said:

Having said all that, every time we see Mayerling our minds go back many years to Kobborg and Cojocaru. One of those performances that stick in your brain forever! Fabulous and quite terrifying.

I recently rewatched the South Bank documentary on them and Mayerling. Theirs was a unique partnership and I still miss them so much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Just like to agree with Mendizabal as Empress. First time I’ve seen her on stage for ages on Wednesday so glad she is back!

I particularly remember her terrific performance in Las Hermanas another Macmillan ballet a few years back. 

Me too. That’s another work I’d like to see revived. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, annamk said:

I recently rewatched the South Bank documentary on them and Mayerling. Theirs was a unique partnership and I still miss them so much. 

Gosh so do I.  I just can't watch Onegin without thinking of them.  No matter how many wonderful performances I have seen since, no-one has matched the depths of despair that they did in this ballet.  I tried to see most of their performances of this ballet and others over the years, and each time they danced Onegin or Giselle I left the ROH in tears.  Aside from personal loss (obviously much worse), rarely have I felt the utter desolation within me that I did after their Onegins.  Truly unforgettable.

• Like 3

Well, I'm hoping it won't be too long before we see Vadim's Onegin. After his incredible Rudolf there shouldn't be any doubt by anyone that's he's not capable of dancing Onegin. Anyway, back to Mayerling....

Rudolf. Vadim. Two of the most moving, heart-breaking performances I have ever seen. What a pity he was in Japan and possibly prevented from getting a third performance. I'd have been there!

Mary. Either Morera or Francesca. I really hoped he would have Morera as his Mary when I heard he was going to be cast as they were so amazing together in Month in the Country. Morera was truly terrific with Ball, and Francesca was incredible in her second performance that I saw. is there anything she can't do? Ashton, Macmillan, classics, she is definitely my first choice RB ballerina (with Morera a close second)

Larisch. Difficult. Either Lamb or Morera

Empress Elizabeth. Mendizabal

Princess Stephanie. O'Sullivan

Mitzi. Calvert

Bratfisch. James Hay

Lead Hungarian officer. Bracewell (though I'm curious about Coralles as he got such good reviews though I haven't seen him)

Bay Middleton. Gary Avis

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Francesca was incredible in her second performance that I saw. is there anything she can't do?

I found her Odile disappointing. She looked like some of it was a struggle. I saw her second performance so it couldn't have just been debut nerves. It'll be interesting to see if she has another go in the next SL revival or if it's written off as not a role for her.

• Like 5