Royal Ballet, Spring 2023 casting

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that this will be online soon but I wanted to share the good news that James Hay has two Sleeping Beauties with Akane Takada.

Hurrah!

Edited by MJW
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that this will be online soon but I wanted to share the good news that James Hay has two Sleeping Beauties with Akane Takada.

Good to see the Hay/Takada news but are there any clues as to when ‘soon’ will be - I’m sure there’ll be great interest in Cinderella casting as well as the other Sleeping Beauty casts? I’d rather thought news releases came out on alternate Fridays or is that just Friends’ updates?

• Like 3

Interesting that Takada is getting 2 partners. I wonder if anyone else from the first block of casting will get another go? With 9 spring performances available (11 minus 2 for Takada/Hay) I wonder if the rest of the casting will be a straightforward 3 performances each for the other 3 obvious pairings - Naghdi/Ball, Osipova/Clarke & Lamb/Hirano - or if there will be any less obvious pairings and/or any First Soloists get to make a debut?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alison said:

14 "Likes" for this thread within the first couple of hours.  I guess Mr Hay must be popular :)

Forum members know quality when they see it- currently 21 likes!   😊 

I hope there will also be two (or more!) performances of Cinderella with James Hay as the Prince.  He is an outstanding interpreter of Ashton’s choreography. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 9

On 31/10/2022 at 23:55, alison said:

14 "Likes" for this thread within the first couple of hours.  I guess Mr Hay must be popular :)

Hopefully some popularity out there for Akane too! ☺️  This is a great pairing, and perhaps could be more frequent if Mr Hay were made a principal....

• Like 5

17 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Where is the casting please

I don’t think casting has yet been published. Booking for Premium 2 Friends opens on 22 November and casting details are usually published a good two weeks before then (possibly 4 November?). Patrons are able to book some time before Premium 2 Friends so casting details may well have been circulated to them and hence some information may become public.

• Like 1

I see my Sleeping Beauty pair guesses the other day were correct - not that it was difficult! Very pleased to see Morera is doing Cinderella. A bit disappointed to see Magri isn't, though as there are 6 pairs I'll have to choose between anyway I suppose my bank account will be pleased that she's not. I wonder why Kaneko & Bracewell only get 2 performances when all the other pairs get either 3 or 4? A pity there's no indication of Stepsisters casting. As I said on the recent Cinderella thread, given apparently the casting will be split between male & female dancers I would like to be able to organise my bookings so as to see both options.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

. I wonder why Kaneko & Bracewell only get 2 performances when all the other pairs get either 3 or 4? 

An anomaly of this kind usually points to there being an (unlisted) Schools Matinee.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Excellent with so many ‘must see’ casts - particularly delighted to see Morera/Ball in Cinderella.

Yes indeed.  And Kaneko/Bracewell, and also thrilled to see the Naghdi/Corrales partnership being reprised.  

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

An anomaly of this kind usually points to there being an (unlisted) Schools Matinee

Yes, Kaneko/Bracewell are indeed doing a Schools' Matinee.

• Like 2

Lots of tempting casts, but given the prices and current circumstances difficult choices need to be made...

Without wishing to be churlish, I really wish Osipova and Clarke were not always paired together. I understand that he's a secure partner and that (in effect) he gives Osipova a springboard from which she can launch herself (and I say that as a huge Osipova fan), but I don't think it's helping him to develop as an artist and I don't actually think there's any real chemistry between them.

Delighted to see Hayward and Campbell together, and James Hay at last getting a principal role again.

• Like 14

For a moment, there, Bridie, I thought you meant Hay was getting a go at the Prince in Cinderella :(  Wonder what he'll end up doing - probably one of the Prince's 4 friends, I guess.  Not sure he'd be cast as the Jester.

Excellent casting choices for Cinderella, overall very pleased! I’m slightly surprised O’Sullivan hasn’t been cast as Cinderella (and with Hay as well, imagine!) as she seems a good fit for the role (although pure guesswork from me). Very pleasantly surprised to see Morera cast! I was hoping but not expecting. 

Without wishing to detract from Osipova who is a fantastic artist and I have often booked specifically to see (her Giselle was breathtaking, I enjoy the drama she brings to Swan Lake and I was disappointed to miss her Tatiana); I think someone like O’Sullivan or Magri would be a better fit for the role. But as she’s a well known dancer with a big fan base I wonder if they have to cast her? 

maybe I’m slightly regretting saying it but given the likely popularity of the production and the potential casting delights I’m interested they didn’t run more dates for it. But then I’d be a hypocrite as I’ve complained about long runs before reducing diversity. But I would have argued for the number of Beauties and Cinderella to have maybe switched - if anything maybe it would have been beneficial so people could pick up good reviews for Cinderella and book for it in the next season if the current season is sold out. Although given they sell the seasons far in advance that probably wouldn’t work anyway so I’m probably just overthinking! I presume perhaps if it’s very successful maybe we can see a return in the 24/25 season (probably a little too soon for 23/24?). Although would rather see Fille and Sylvia first but that’s for another thread!

• Like 4

Disappointed that I'll be out of the country for Takada/Sambe and - particularly - Morera/Ball, but that run of 4 shows between 14th and 16th holds a lot to look forward to (I've booked my hotel already!); the only question is whether I can bear not to see Nunez/Muntagirov in person and rely on the cinema relay.

• Like 3

One thing I noticed: I very much like that the Saturday performances have a slightly earlier start time. I hope that they stick with it.

(FWIW the Friends magazine has the running time as approximately 2 hours 45, with two intervals.)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Disappointed that I'll be out of the country for Takada/Sambe and - particularly - Morera/Ball, but that run of 4 shows between 14th and 16th holds a lot to look forward to (I've booked my hotel already!); the only question is whether I can bear not to see Nunez/Muntagirov in person and rely on the cinema relay.

I'm thinking the same about Nunez/Muntagirov, as there are so many other couples I want to see. I have the opposite problem to you dates-wise as I can't do any of the 14th-16th April group of performances, as I'll be seeing 3 nights running of ETO at my local theatre 13th-15th, but can do any of the later-April shows.

The problem is who to see? Even hypothetically taking out Nunez/Muntagirov, I still want to see 5 of the other 7 couples but seats where I usually sit are going to be £70 each, the same as for SB, which gets horribly pricey for multiple performances. Before prices were announced I'd even hoped maybe they would be low enough for me to afford one stalls seat, so I could get to see the full production, but with the cheapest stalls seats at £151 that's totally out of the question.

• Like 1

I’m finding that in order to see more performances, I’ll choose a range of seats and am very happy to stand for some performances. Stalls Circle standing places are astonishingly good value. If I’ve been sitting on the train, standing for a matinee then having a seat in the evening seems excellent to me, considerably reducing my average ticket price. But I do appreciate that standing may not be an option for some.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

Without wishing to be churlish, I really wish Osipova and Clarke were not always paired together. I understand that he's a secure partner and that (in effect) he gives Osipova a springboard from which she can launch herself (and I say that as a huge Osipova fan), but I don't think it's helping him to develop as an artist and I don't actually think there's any real chemistry between them.

I agree about the lack of chemistry between Osipova and Clarke but he is dancing Diamonds with Marianela and guesting abroad with Yasmine, so plenty of opportunity for him to develop in ways I, for one, have not seen from him yet.

• Like 2

I am still quite cross that Vadim isn't dancing Diamonds with Nuñez,  especially as he was passed over for the full length recording a few years ago. That said,  I'm pleased he and Marianela are getting the cinema recording of Cinderella and hopefully a dvd or stream eventually.

I also wish that the Hayward/Campbell cast were being filmed for Sleeping Beauty and not Naghdi/Ball. I love seeing the latter couple but they have had several recordings recently with Romeo and Giselle.  Alex especially hasn't had nearly enough. Even his Don Q was unscheduled as he was taking Steven's place. Also  I saw Haywards first Sleeping Beauty when she was ill and I thought her and Alex absolutely terrific together and it's not especially a favourite ballet.

Still, looking forward to some great casting and performances.  I'll definitely be coming to Vadim's Cinderella matinee as he doesn't do that many and it saves an overnight stay. Pity the Hayward/Campbell and Morera/Ball Cinderella pairings don't have a matinee as overnight stays really eat into my budget, especially with the horrendous ticket prices. I hope we're not expected to plug ROH Arts Council deficit with even more ticket price rises. Ironically, it's the ticket prices that contribute to making the ROH 'elitist'. During a recession and a cost of living crisis how many 'ordinary ' people on small salaries or pensions can afford £70 for a restricted view seat? Especially if you also have to pay about £150 for transport and accommodation to get there.

• Like 3

Interesting casting. I agree on the Osipova/Clarke pairing - I personally am not a huge fan of them together, but I also understand why they would be paired. I think we can all guess that I am most excited about the Bracewell/Kaneko Cinderella paring, but who else to choose? It's going to be tricky! 

• Like 3

There is nothing to say that the likes of O'Sullivan, Magri and Dias are not going to be in the rehearsal studio as covers for the title role and you need to remember that there are other ballerina roles in the ballet.These roles include the four Season Fairies and the role of the Fairy Godmother each of which demands dancers of the highest calibre.so they make their mark in the scenes in which they appear.  In the Sibley Dowell recording from the late 1960's the Season Fairies were danced by Penney, Lorrayne, Jenner  and Bergsma with Parkinson as the Fairy Godmother. In an earlier recording made for American television  these roles were taken by dancers of the calibre of Nerina, Park and Beriosova. As far as I am concerned if it is a choice between Morera, a fine Ashton dancer, finally being given a chance to dance Cinderella or a younger dancer being given a first stab at the role I know where my preference lies.

As far as James Hay is concerned I imagine we will see him again as the Jester one of the many roles  Ashton made on Alexander Grant. It is a much more interesting and varied role than that of the Prince. I also expect to see Yudes appear as the Jester in this run.I just hope that Ellis-Somes demands that those who dance the role give the audience more than mere leg machine. I can't see why we could not be told who will dance the Jester at each performance. It might help some of us decide which performances we should book to see,

• Like 10

Why is it Nunez being filmed again?  While she is a wonderful dancer, is she so magnificent that the majority of her performances are the ones preserved for posterity?  A bit controversial of me, perhaps, and she and Muntagirov are terrific together, but personally I would have preferred to see other dancers that I believe are more suited to the Ashton style.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I sometimes wonder the same, but then I remember that I've never seen her fluff anything. On a big night that has to be a consideration.

I was thinking the same thing..safe pair of hands ( and feet).