Royal Ballet, Spring 2023 casting

I agree with the overall point that every dancer has different strengths and even at principal level it make sense for not every dancer to dance every main role. Particularly with the number of principals now it’s not feasible anyway, unless mammoth runs like the Beauty over Winter and Spring become common (which is not my preference…)

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it has become the norm that every RB Principal must dance every major role if they want to - which means that most only get two shows in many runs and we have examples of dancers dancing the classics when they are not suited to them (or technically ready for them).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, capybara said:

But it has become the norm that every RB Principal must dance every major role if they want to - which means that most only get two shows in many runs and we have examples of dancers dancing the classics when they are not suited to them (or technically ready for them).

While I am sure a principal could opt out of a role if they didn't want to do it, I don't think they automatically get the chance if they say they do, however keen they are.  Sometimes I do query why X has been chosen at the expense of Y, when the latter would probably be far more suited to the role based on their previous performances. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fonty said:

While I am sure a principal could opt out of a role if they didn't want to do it, I don't think they automatically get the chance if they say they do, however keen they are.  Sometimes I do query why X has been chosen at the expense of Y, when the latter would probably be far more suited to the role based on their previous performances. 

Sometimes seniority; sometimes 'diversity'.

Currently, I don't understand why we don't have Alexander Campbell as Rudolf in Mayerling.

• Like 18

12 hours ago, capybara said:

Sometimes seniority; sometimes 'diversity'.

Currently, I don't understand why we don't have Alexander Campbell as Rudolf in Mayerling.

Yes, I thought this too. Is Alex the only established male principal not to be cast as Rudolf? I'm not including Bracewell, Clarke and Coralles as they are very new principals and its right they should wait until next time but it does seem very unfair not to cast Alex.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Yes, I thought this too. Is Alex the only established male principal not to be cast as Rudolf? I'm not including Bracewell, Clarke and Coralles as they are very new principals and its right they should wait until next time but it does seem very unfair not to cast Alex.

Especially as some of the chaps dancing with 2 different Marys

• Like 3

It just seemed that there was a suggestion he was somehow being overlooked for the role so I was just wondering whether he hadn’t been cast because he didn’t want to dance it…. inspite of peoples wish lists!! 
Although considering his acting abilities this does seem rather unlikely. 

Well he wasn't cast as Romeo for absolutely ages, was he?  Very strange, considering he danced it at BRB I think?  Is the problem that some of the ladies are too tall for him?  I may be wrong, but I get the impression he is not one of the tallest men in the company.

16 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Well he wasn't cast as Romeo for absolutely ages, was he?  Very strange, considering he danced it at BRB I think?  Is the problem that some of the ladies are too tall for him?  I may be wrong, but I get the impression he is not one of the tallest men in the company.

I think Marcelino Sambe is about the same height as Alex Campbell, and he seems to be being cast in everything...yet he is a more 'junior' Principal than Alex Campbell.

Yes, AC did dance Romeo at BRB.  

• Like 5

I’ve had to change my Mayerling ticket so will now be seeing Sambe and Hayward on 30th though would rather have seen Ball and Morera in these roles which my original ticket was for! 
I don’t think Sambe is right for the role yet so at least will be interesting to see what he does just doesn’t strike me as a perfect match though am sure Hayward will be fine. 
I would definitely think Campbell over Sambe at this current time and Campbell and Hayward have been good together in the past. 
I guess if Campbell is ever interviewed it might be a good question to ask : are there any roles he would still like to perform but hasn’t yet been cast in. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sim said:

I think Marcelino Sambe is about the same height as Alex Campbell, and he seems to be being cast in everything...yet he is a more 'junior' Principal than Alex Campbell.

Yes, AC did dance Romeo at BRB.  

This is what I've been thinking for ages Sim but nothing seems to change.  Also James Hay.  I know he's only a first solo but many other first solos have been cast in leading roles. Indeed, that's what I thought the position of First Soloist was for; to assess suitability for major roles and possible promotion to principal. I know James was cast as the prince in both the last run of SB and this one but this role, though a major classical role, hardly stretches the person's acting ability, an important pre requisite for any RB principal. I'd like to see both James and Alex given a greater variety of important roles.

• Like 13

I've only just seen the casting, I've had a stressful few weeks and only now have some time!

I am such a fan of Marianela, I think she is a sublime ballerina, and her and Vadim are amazing together. But, we're about to get them paired in Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty and then Cinderella? It all just seems very much samey! 

After seeing her with Reece in Diamonds and footage of her partnering Bracewell, could we not have had a bit of a mix up? Also, Fumi works beautifully with Vadim, so they could have swapped those two pairings and had something a little different.

I'm very surprised to not see Anna Rose cast.

• Like 8

Perhaps a little off topic (if so, mods please delete) but does anyone know where to access a full seating map with prices for Sleeping Beauty?

I have family members who want to book tickets for the Takada/Hay cast and it would be helpful to show them the full range of ticket prices and tiers so they can decide where to sit. The seat map option on the SB page reroutes me to the maps for the earlier winter season performances, which are incomplete as the seats already bought are greyed out. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MJW said:

Booking for Spring was very smooth this morning - I was more picky than usual about seating given the price increases but hopefully they will be fine!

Mostly all fine for me too- I did get put in a queue for 5 mins so I was a bit worried there as haven’t been put in a queue since they got the new booking system in. I was using Chrome and the site was a bit slow with loading the seat map up but I think I’ve found that every time recently. But I can’t complain, got everything I wanted as availability was really good. 

• 1 month later...