Ballet Icons Gala - 19 February 2023

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

But, presumably, Bracewell is subbing for Sambe who was originally announced as appearing and danced The Dream pdd with Hayward at the Prix de Lausanne Gala fortnight ago.

Indeed it might be a one off and she could next dance it with Sambe, with whom she danced it in 2017. But I too thought that Hayward & Corrales would be cast together in Swan Lake in 2022 after performing the Act 2 pas de deux on the livestream programme and having been previously cast together for 2020 before Covid closures, but she was eventually cast with Bracewell and he with Magri instead in 2022. Of course, The Dream might not come back as early as next season. But I find that it does come back regularly -it’s never put on hold for very long. Its last revival was 2017 so it will probably come back soon. 

Edited by Emeralds

4 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

From @Silver Capricorn's Instagram post.❤️

Screenshot_20230219_193537_Instagram.jpg

Just for those who notice the absence of Osipova, I should say that she was indeed scheduled (dancing a new work by Kittelberger). This was printed inside the programme.

Her departure was the only change shown on the listing on this sheet (produced later and inserted in the programme) so this must have happened pretty last minute. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

I remember Bracewell saying in a podcast he did the Dream at BRB and was coached by Dowell. I do

don’t I? A bit addled tonight after the awfulness of the BAFTAs 

He did do it at BRB, and was wonderful in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. For me the stand out pieces were Khaniukhova and Arrieta in Liam Scarlett's Chopin Romance which just beautiful and Borealis danced by Laccara and Golding. Hayward and Bracewell were gorgeous in MSN Dream too...hopefully this might mean some Ashton in 23/24? 

My least favourite piece was Picone's Elevarsi followed by Carmen and Cinderella (am sure the POB dancers did that 1 or 2 shows ago) and Creature was spoiled for me by the music being far too loud (typical of Akram Khan note to self take earplugs). It was a joy to see Salenko again after a long gap and pleased to see she's still got it. The finale of Le Corsaire was lovely and I didn't realise at the time just how  young Fernandez and Cassalinho are!  All in all a great night out. 

Casalinho 19 Margarita 17

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jorgeb said:

I confess my ignorance: I don't know the meaning...

East Fife and Forfar are Scottish football teams; the scores are simple a play on words with the teams and the numbers, as whe read out in the classified football results on a Saturday afternoon
Almost as good as when Caledonian Thistle beat the mighty Celtic in the cup, and the headline writers came up with:

Super Callies go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

East Fife 4, Forfar 5, surely?

Yes, I think you are right. I clearly remember always listening for their scores on the radio on Saturday nights long before we could afford a t.v. Those were the days.

39 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I used to love listening to the football scores as a child names like Partick Thistle and Cowdenbeath still stick in my mind now and I think there was one called Queen of the South!! 

Correct Linmm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Almost as good as when Caledonian Thistle beat the mighty Celtic in the cup, and the headline writers came up with:

Super Callies go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious

I found an interview with the actual sub-editor who wrote the headline!

Inverness Caledonian Thistle defeated the mighty Celtic 3-1.

Paul Hickson of the-newspaper-they-don't-buy-in-Liverpool said (about a week later) "The headline came long before the final whistle. Caley were 2-1 up. It had looked like a straightforward evening. We expected Celtic to win, but it soon became obvious something big was happening. Celtic losing to a team nobody had heard of - or could even spell - that was the story.

"The Scottish sports editor, Steve Wolstonencroft, mentioned the 60s headline used when Liverpool striker Ian Callaghan scored three goals against QPR. It went some thing like: 'Super Calli Scores a Hat Trick, QPR Atrocious.' I didn't know it. I hit back with 'Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious'."

Quotes taken from a Guardian interview published on 14 February 2000.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes I used to love listening to the football scores as a child names like Partick Thistle and Cowdenbeath still stick in my mind now and I think there was one called Queen of the South!! 

And Hamilton Academicals, which for some reason always set my Mum off in a fit of uncontrollable giggles.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

I did too. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, capybara said:

Fine for members who understand what is down that hole but, in this case, more than irritating for the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

Isn't here a forum "Not Dance"? 😉

But as this is a thread that relates to an item that has passed and is actively being discussed in performances seen then surely there is no harm done.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jorgeb said:

Casalinho 19 Margarita 17

I had no idea Margarita Fernandes was that young- after a bit of researching (I’ve missed a lot of Dance Links posted before I joined and when I was away) I see that she is the daughter of Annarella Sanchez, who opened and leads the ballet conservatoire in Portugal that they both trained at. Sanchez is from Cuba and trained in the Cuban method, and the school also follows the Cuban method. Maina Gielgud, former London Festival Ballet star, SWRB (now BRB) principal dancer, popular freelance guest star, Australian Ballet artistic director, Royal Danish Ballet artistic director and now guest repetiteur and coach at ENB, SFB and many other companies, was invited to stage various ballets (such as Giselle, which they both danced in) for the school, and worked with them to hone their technique and interpretation. 

Margarita had only gone to Munich with Antonio for his audition so that he would have a partner for his pas de deux. She assumed he would get offered a job but was stunned to get offered one herself as she was only 16 (he was 18) then, but they assured her it was legal in Germany and completely genuine- not only that, it wasn’t at Artist level but Demi-Soloist for both of them. She is still continuing her schooling while dancing with the company-no idea how she fits it all in! 

So far they’ve danced the Rubies lead roles (the pas de deux couple), Benjamin and Clementine (the nicer stepsister with the spectacles) in Wheeldon’s Cinderella, Kitri and Basilio in Don Quixote, Swanilda and Franz in Petit’s version of Coppelia, (for Margarita) Cygnets in Swan Lake and (for Antonio) Puck in Neumeier’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, among other roles.    I’ve only seen them in videos so far but they are impressive in that they dance with the elegance and artistry of older, experienced principals. Look forward to seeing them on stage one day.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I had no idea Margarita Fernandes was that young- after a bit of researching (I’ve missed a lot of Dance Links posted before I joined and when I was away) I see that she is the daughter of Annarella Sanchez, who opened and leads the ballet conservatoire in Portugal that they both trained at. Sanchez is from Cuba and trained in the Cuban method, and the school also follows the Cuban method. Maina Gielgud, former London Festival Ballet star, SWRB (now BRB) principal dancer, popular freelance guest star, Australian Ballet artistic director, Royal Danish Ballet artistic director and now guest repetiteur and coach at ENB, SFB and many other companies, was invited to stage various ballets (such as Giselle, which they both danced in) for the school, and worked with them to hone their technique and interpretation. 

Margarita had only gone to Munich with Antonio for his audition so that he would have a partner for his pas de deux. She assumed he would get offered a job but was stunned to get offered one herself ...

So far they’ve danced the Rubies lead roles (the pas de deux couple),

Kitri and Basilio in Don Quixote, Swanilda and Franz in Petit’s version of Coppelia, (for Margarita) Cygnets in Swan Lake and (for Antonio) Puck in Neumeier’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Some remarks/corrections:

How they both got the job in Munich was actually not by chance, but I'm not going into detail here. Antonio has a very good technique, no surprise he was a Prix de Lausanne Prize Winner.

So far, they did not dance and are still not casted in the solo Rubies couple in Munich (Carollina Bastos and Shale Wagman debuted and danced it several times, next time is March 3rd). A&M debuted in Emeralds PdT and will dance it on March 3rd again alongside Bianca Teixeira.

They also did not dance Basilio and Kitri in DonQ in Munich (or any professional staging, but in their school or maybe for a gala).

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

Some remarks/corrections:

How they both got the job in Munich was actually not by chance, but I'm not going into detail here. Antonio has a very good technique, no surprise he was a Prix de Lausanne Prize Winner.

So far, they did not dance and are still not casted in the solo Rubies couple in Munich (Carollina Bastos and Shale Wagman debuted and danced it several times, next time is March 3rd). A&M debuted in Emeralds PdT and will dance it on March 3rd again alongside Bianca Teixeira.

They also did not dance Basilio and Kitri in DonQ in Munich (or any professional staging, but in their school or maybe for a gala).

Thanks, Sabine0308, am only going by the interview they gave BalletHerald.com. They did say “fourth cast”- perhaps they were replaced or only supposed to learn it as understudies (and sometimes understudies don’t go on even if there is an injury but someone or a pair who already danced would be asked to dance instead). Thanks for clarifying the Don Q as well....I did think it seemed to be a very packed repertoire/season if it was all Bavarian State Ballet, but another occasion such as a gala or school gala would be more logical. Thank you for the information! 👍 (It is useful to have someone in the same country who can tell us.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

I apologise to those annoyed or irritated by my off-topic meanderings.

[heaving it back towards the topic]

Does anyone know if there was a professional recording made of this Ballet Icons Gala?

They don’t usually do recordings of this gala, unfortunately, Sophoife. The company organises other events and shows but mostly not ballet, so I guess they prefer to stick to live performances.