Ballet Icons Gala - 19 February 2023

Public booking opens on Monday 5th September 

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/ballet-icons-gala-2023/

Text from this link :

Ballet Icons Gala 2023

The world’s annual ballet highlight! A star-studded international cast will perform classical favourites and contemporary masterpieces.

19 Feb 2023

Members and Supporters Priority Booking

Friday 2 September, 12.00

General on sale
Monday 5 September, 12.00

The Gala’s 2023 programme will again showcase ballet excellence with a dazzling array of the best-known classical excerpts as well as new works and world and UK premieres.

Onstage will be world stars – principals of the Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, English National Ballet, Vienna State Ballet, Bavarian State Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, Berlin State Ballet, Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and Boston Ballet.

The Gala, which continues to be one of the world’s most impressive dance events, will be accompanied by the English National Ballet Philharmonic Orchestra.

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t see how (especially in this current economic climate) most people will book without any sense of programme or dancers?

I took a quick look and there are no tickets under £30. Pricing for the balcony is remarkably consistent with everything being £30 (restricted view or not). Prices then jump to £65 for back of upper circle. 

when you click on a ticket in the front row of the balcony which I know for a fact is restricted view, nothing alerts you to this. Seems very sneaky - I thought theatres had an obligation to tell people if a view was restricted? They can sell them for what price they want if people are willing to buy, but they should be allowing people to make informed decisions surely!

@alison I can’t answer your question but it is a valid one. Given the Coliseum have hosted a number of fundraising galas for Ukraine (the Putrov one plus the upcoming Ukrainian Giselle where I believe they didn’t charge “rent”?) I think/hope it’s unlikely they would allow any money from events to somehow end up in Russia. I presume it’s also illegal now with various sanctions so there may be a duty for businesses to do due diligence on these types of things, I would hope?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Given current world events, would it be appropriate to ask who the organisers are?

It is the same Facebook page as the previous galas

This statement was posted 3 Mar 2022

We confirm that the Directors of the Ballet Icons Gala condemn the invasion of Ukraine by the Russian Government. We will not work with any Russian governmental organisation. We sincerely hope that the violence will stop soon and that there will be peaceful negotiations.

Edited by oncnp

22 minutes ago, alison said:

Given current world events, would it be appropriate to ask who the organisers are?

I think this is veering into political territory, and xenophobia.  So I’ll try to report only facts as I know them from publicly available info:

The organisers cannot practically be Russians based in Russia.  They never were.  Given current financial sanctions, any profits wouldn’t be able to be paid to Russia anyway.

The main organiser is concert pianist Olga Balakleets.  Her husband is British concert pianist and conductor Julian Gallant.
The organising company is Ensemble Productions Limited which is a UK company established 21 years ago.  On that company listing, Olga’s nationality is reported as German, and her residence as England, since at least 2001.

The gala changed its name from Russian Ballet Icons Gala (the last was in 2019) when the number of actual dancers from Russia attending were outnumbered by others. 

I’ll be going to see the participants from European and American companies that will be unfamiliar to me in person.  I hope there are not too many dancers from RB and ENB as we see those anyway, though not usually in these pdd. 

• Thanks 1

Participants for 2023 according to social media so far include:

RB - Marianela Nunez, Yasmine Naghdi, Reece Clarke

La Scala - Nicoletta Manni & Timofej Andrijaschenko

Berlin - Iana Salenko

Munich - Julian MacKay 

Independent - Lucia Lacarra & Matthew Golding

The cast usually gets revealed over time.  This method of marketing is used by many galas … Athelhampton and Nureyev for instance.   But abroad too. 

Edited by FionaE
Extra info
  • Like 2

From @gwdancewriter Twitter

Graham Watts
@GWDanceWriter
·
Delighted to be artistic advisor to the Ballet Icons Gala, which will be performed to live music at the London Coliseum on 19 February 23 - organised by @EnsembleProds

Edited by oncnp

I would reject suggestions of xenophobia.  I haven't attended these galas for years now, but IIRC at one time they were being promoted as charitable fundraisers by their organisers (who I thought were "Russian" in a loose sense at that stage), so it made sense in the current circumstances to clarify that that was not still the case, especially since the link doesn't name the organisers.  But now you mention Ensemble Productions, that does ring a bell, and I think they probably took over the running some years ago now, in which case that's fine.

On 03/09/2022 at 17:26, JNC said:

when you click on a ticket in the front row of the balcony which I know for a fact is restricted view, nothing alerts you to this. Seems very sneaky - I thought theatres had an obligation to tell people if a view was restricted? They can sell them for what price they want if people are willing to buy, but they should be allowing people to make informed decisions surely!

if you add a ticket to your basket you will receive a "Partially Restricted View & Restricted Legroom" warning. it seems to apply to all of rows A & B in the balcony.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been sent a marketing email from the Coliseum with a comprehensive list of dancers participating : - 

Timofej Andrijashenko, La Scala 
Aitor Arrieta, English National Ballet
Sergio Bernal, National Ballet of Spain
Lou Beyne, Ballet du Monte Carlo 
António Casalinho, Bavarian State Opera
Denys Cherevychko, Vienna State Ballet
Jeffrey Cirio, Boston Ballet
Reece Clarke, Royal Ballet 
Valentine Colasante, Paris Opera
Cesar Corrales, Royal Ballet
Margarita Fernandes, Bavarian State Opera
Matthew Golding
Francesca Hayward, Royal Ballet
Hyo-Jung Kang, Vienna State Ballet
Katja Khaniukova, English National Ballet
Lucía Lacarra

Julian MacKay, Bavarian State Ballet
Maia Makhateli, Dutch National Ballet
Nicoletta Manni - La Scala
Paul Marque, Paris Opera 
David Motta Soares, Berlin State Ballet
Vadim Muntagirov, Royal Ballet 
Yasmine Naghdi, Royal Ballet
Marianela Núñez, Royal Ballet
Natalia Osipova, Royal Ballet
Giuseppe Picone, San Carlo Theatre
Calvin Royal III, ABT
Iana Salenko, Berlin State Ballet
Marcelino Sambé, Royal Ballet
Daniil Simkin, Berlin State Opera 
Olga Smirnova, Dutch National Ballet
Jérôme Tisserand, Ballet du Monte Carlo

(Of course, the cast list, as always, may be subject to changes). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I’ve been sent a marketing email from the Coliseum with a comprehensive list of dancers participating : - 

Timofej Andrijashenko, La Scala 
Aitor Arrieta, English National Ballet
Sergio Bernal, National Ballet of Spain
Lou Beyne, Ballet du Monte Carlo 
António Casalinho, Bavarian State Opera
Denys Cherevychko, Vienna State Ballet
Jeffrey Cirio, Boston Ballet
Reece Clarke, Royal Ballet 
Valentine Colasante, Paris Opera
Cesar Corrales, Royal Ballet
Margarita Fernandes, Bavarian State Opera
Matthew Golding
Francesca Hayward, Royal Ballet
Hyo-Jung Kang, Vienna State Ballet
Katja Khaniukova, English National Ballet
Lucía Lacarra

Julian MacKay, Bavarian State Ballet
Maia Makhateli, Dutch National Ballet
Nicoletta Manni - La Scala
Paul Marque, Paris Opera 
David Motta Soares, Berlin State Ballet
Vadim Muntagirov, Royal Ballet 
Yasmine Naghdi, Royal Ballet
Marianela Núñez, Royal Ballet
Natalia Osipova, Royal Ballet
Giuseppe Picone, San Carlo Theatre
Calvin Royal III, ABT
Iana Salenko, Berlin State Ballet
Marcelino Sambé, Royal Ballet
Daniil Simkin, Berlin State Opera 
Olga Smirnova, Dutch National Ballet
Jérôme Tisserand, Ballet du Monte Carlo

(Of course, the cast list, as always, may be subject to changes). 

that’s an impressive 16 pas de deux’s if they all turn up on the night. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

that’s an impressive 16 pas de deux’s if they all turn up on the night. 

Yes, generally not all make it on the actual night, whether due to injury, illness or other circumstances, and it is indeed quite a long way in advance, but I guess they wanted to give patrons an idea of whom they’re booking to see. I’ve never seen a BI gala with the full original cast, although some substitutes have been even better, and the ones who do appear give a brilliant show (the three I’ve been to anyway!) 

• 4 months later...
Time flies past so quickly this event is now only a week away!
Only  7 Stalls,  86 Dress Circle & 12 Upper Circle tickets remaining on the Coliseum website this morning.
BALLET ICONS GALA 2023
Feb 19
Sun 19:00
London Coliseum

Cast

Timofej Andrijashenko

La Scala 

Aitor Arrieta

English National Ballet

Sergio Bernal

National Ballet of Spain

Audric Bezard

Paris Opera

António Casalinho

Bavarian State Opera

Jeffrey Cirio

Boston Ballet

Reece Clarke

Royal Ballet

Cesar Corrales

Royal Ballet

Margarita Fernandes

Bavarian State Opera

Dorothée Gilbert

Paris Opera

Evelina Godunova

Berlin State Ballet

Matthew Golding

Francesca Hayward

Royal Ballet

Katja Khaniukova

English National Ballet

Jason Kittelberger

Lucía Lacarra

Julian MacKay

Bavarian State Ballet

Maia Makhateli

Dutch National Ballet

Nicoletta Manni 

La Scala

David Motta Soares

Berlin State Ballet

Vadim Muntagirov

Royal Ballet

Yasmine Naghdi

Royal Ballet

Marianela Núñez

Royal Ballet

Natalia Osipova

Royal Ballet

Giuseppe Picone

San Carlo Theatre

Calvin Royal III

ABT

Jacek Mysinski

Pianist, ABT

Iana Salenko

Berlin State Ballet

Daniil Simkin

Berlin State Opera

Li Yuecong

Beijing Dance Theatre

Han Yufei

Beijing Dance Theatre

I won’t lie, the actions of China’s rulers concerns me in the same way as Russia’s leadership. Not sure I’d take against a dancer though unless they were very politically active. I remind myself every day that we enjoy freedoms many others do not. Anyway I’m broke and saving for the RB autumn season which I hope includes loveliness 

• Like 1

And comparing the latest list with the one posted here on the 28th September suggests that many may have purchased tickets on the basis of what amounted to more of a wish list than confirmed participation on the part of the organisers.

Does the Trades Descriptions Act apply here?

• Like 1

Just now, Sim said:

I am interested to see that Corrales is still listed....as he can't dance his second Beauty on Tuesday 14th due to injury, will he then be fit to dance just a few days later??

as is Muntagirov although he's dancing his last Cinderella in Cape Town on the 17th. 

3 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

Vadim canceled his participation in the Gala a long time ago, yet the organizers still mention him in promotional materials.

Misleading if not unethical but they want to sell tickets so probably don't care. Also paints the artist in a bad light as if they withdrew at the last minute. 

Still a lot of great dancers involved. Looking forward to the reviews. 

Which of these dancers is actually an icon? I think that this term does not apply to all participants by a long shot. Such superlatives are used too inflationarily, which makes the actual term more and more meaningless.  Nureyev was undoubtedly an icon. I wouldn't put all the participants on that level. 

• Like 1

Do we have any information about content? Difficult I know if the organisers can't even confirm who is dancing.  Is it usually just announced on the day? Glad I haven't booked as if I had it would be on the strength of Vadim's participation 

3 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Do we have any information about content? Difficult I know if the organisers can't even confirm who is dancing.  Is it usually just announced on the day? Glad I haven't booked as if I had it would be on the strength of Vadim's participation 

Yasmine Naghdi and Reece Clark are doing the bedroom pdd from Manon.  

• Like 2

We seem to have this conversation every time these Icons people mount a show at the Coliseum (misleading details and so on). But I would hate to miss it: even if one never knows in advance exactly who is on the bill or what they will be dancing it’s always a pretty good show with a lot of star turns (see previous threads). 

It also has a certain atmosphere. As the line in Cabaret goes, even the audience is beautiful. Boy George has been a regular. I once saw two women, in full long evening dresses, having it out in the front lobby, handbags flying. All adds to the fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1