No cast sheets at Covent Garden

As far as I understand, NO printed cast sheets will be available.  They are already absent at opera performances and the staff (certainly the two I spoke to about it) are defensive and rude.  Perhaps a concerted moan might get them to change their minds, as happened a few years back.

To assume that everyone a) has a device to access, b) has the time and inclination to do so and c) would not prefer a printed cast list is another example of the ROH's arrogance and fundamental disregard for their patrons.  One would think that charging the eye-watering prices they are (about £250 top whack for Rigoletto), they could manage to print a few sheets... but no.  Did they bother to ask their patrons? No.

• Like 8

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

For balance, there were no cast sheets at Sadlers' Wells for ENB's Creature.

I have no problem with this whatsoever.  It's the 21st century and I'd rather not have the ROH or any other arts venue wasting vast amounts of paper when they don't need to.

I'm with you on this one, BBB.  Just wonder how the ENB Emerging Dancer Programme will work going forward.  The voting slips were always on the back of the physical/hard cast sheets - as far as I remember.  Are they doing it electronically now?  Here's hoping.  It's a valuable incentive.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

23 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just wonder how the ENB Emerging Dancer Programme will work going forward.  The voting slips were always on the back of the physical/hard cast sheets - as far as I remember.  Are they doing it electronically now?  Here's hoping.  It's a valuable incentive.  

Yes, there's an online form for the People's Choice Award here.  The link is on the online cast sheets.

• Like 1

I appreciate that paper cast sheets can be very useful when attending a performance. With no paper copies there are screen displays of the cast sheet at various points as well as the download scanning options. So long as the cast sheets are readily accessible after performances then I’m happy. I looked at my recent events and clicked on the ‘cast sheet’ option but unfortunately that wasn’t working - possibly because the recent events I’ve attended have been rehearsals but I hope that’s not the reason why cast sheets were not available as it would be great if in looking at my past events I could immediately access the cast sheet. But I could readily access cast sheets for public performances.

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The problem with only having online cast sheets is that you can’t go back and check something from the Beauty Mixed performances from July, for example 

That one is still there as noted above but I take your point.  Perhaps if the ROH kept electronic versions readily available for the entire season or even had a print on demand that would satisfy everyone? 

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

That one is still there as noted above but I take your point.  Perhaps if the ROH kept electronic versions readily available for the entire season or even had a print on demand that would satisfy everyone? 

Please show me where I can find the online cast sheet for a performance of Beauty mixed that wasn’t the one shown in the cinema on 9th July…about 8 o’clock 

31 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The problem with only having online cast sheets is that you can’t go back and check something from the Beauty Mixed performances from July, for example 

Don't see why this is a problem.  Surely if someone was that interested in having a paper record of a show they've attended, they would have printed off a copy for their records.

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

being a bit of a nerd, I downloaded the PDF of the cast sheet for the shows I went to in the summer, onto my computer. Didn't think to download them all though, which might have been more useful in the long term

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

That’s why I think it would be good if when accessing my ‘past events’, there’s a working link to the cast sheet. The link is shown but isn’t working. If it’s a temporary error, hopefully it will be fixed. But if it’s not going to work (and I can appreciate that the ROH has many other demands on its website and will no doubt prioritise current activity/bookings), it would be better to remove the link and make clear to those wanting to access past performances that they should make other arrangements (for example by saving their own downloads or printing paper copies).

• Like 1

I think it's rather sad. There is something nice about looking through cast sheets from 20 years ago and seeing, for example, that Marienella Nunez was in the corps or that Kevin O' Hare was Romeo opposite Monica Zamora's Juliet.  Lots of memories contained in cast sheets. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

My one gripe is that in the bigger ballets I find it impossible to remember who's doing all of the smaller parts. Checking on your screens during the performance would be very bad form, whereas a quick glance at your sheet disturbs no-one.

You can always print it at home before you go to the theatre (admittedly this doesn't work for those who have a significant distance to travel).  But the constituency of people negatively affected by this IMO grows smaller and smaller.

57 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

I think it's rather sad. There is something nice about looking through cast sheets from 20 years ago and seeing, for example, that Marienella Nunez was in the corps or that Kevin O' Hare was Romeo opposite Monica Zamora's Juliet.  Lots of memories contained in cast sheets. 

And you can still have the memories by printing off the cast sheet (or, as @zxDaveM does, save the pdf)!  That's what I have done with every performance so far with digital cast sheets (and not just at the ROH).

It would be far preferable for everyone to switch OFF their phones for the duration of being in the ROH (or any other theatre). Like so many others I am glued to my laptop or phone for most of my waking hours (and I'm not even working now!) and the theatre should be one place where you get away from tech. Telling everyone to switch off their phones before the performance at the same time as effectively telling them that that's the only way of accessing their tickets and cast sheets is really not sensible. Given the amount of high-quality paper involved in producing programmes I really can't imagine that the extra flimsy paper used for cast sheets for those who want them is really much of an environmental issue.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

You can always print it at home before you go to the theatre (admittedly this doesn't work for those who have a significant distance to travel).  But the constituency of people negatively affected by this IMO grows smaller and smaller.

Well - I'm one of them so I'm bound to notice.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

You can always print it at home before you go to the theatre (admittedly this doesn't work for those who have a significant distance to travel).  But the constituency of people negatively effected by this IMO grows smaller and smaller.

It also doesn't work for anyone who isn't at home in the few hours before the performance - a lot of people are at work or out and about and won't be able to print them before arriving at the theatre. And the fact that the numbers affected are comparatively small (which is open to question) doesn't make it any less important.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 9

The Bolshoi have full casts available online … future and past.  

Handy for their cinema broadcasts, and for balletomane chat groups.  

For instance this page is Don Quixote … it has full casts from February 2016 through October 2021

https://2011.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/912/roles/#20211012190000

The ROH/RB have full casts in their ROHcollections online, but only to 2012. I wonder when they will catch up?  

Maybe they should ‘hire’ us … in return for show tickets (for instance) … to get up to date?

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well - I'm one of them so I'm bound to notice.

To expand on this a little: a recurring criticism of ROH over the years has been its seeming London-centricity, as seen in the assumption that a 10.30 pm finish is desirable (witness shorter operas being given 8pm start times), as well as this season's somewhat eccentric matinee timings. This thinking towards cast sheets does add to the impression that out-of-towners don't really count.

Given the disparity in ACE funding between London and the rest of England, and the conspicuously large amount of that funding which is going to the ROH, it's something they surely ought to be addressing more effectively.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

And you can still have the memories by printing off the cast sheet (or, as @zxDaveM does, save the pdf)!  That's what I have done with every performance so far with digital cast sheets (and not just at the ROH).

I'd rather pay for one at the ROH than add printing off to list of miscellaneous life admin - particularly as my personal phone and laptop aren't linked to a printer.

• Like 7

Just now, RHowarth said:

I'd rather pay for one at the ROH than add printing off to list of miscellaneous life admin - particularly as my personal phone and laptop aren't linked to a printer.

I remember paying a trivial amount for them in my Moscow days - about 30p IIRC. Maybe this is the answer - I too would be happy to pay a cost-covering amount.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, FionaE said:

At theatres without printed cast lists pre-pandemic … eg Matthew Bourne who has boards in the foyer … I would take a photo on my phone to refer to it in intervals and after.

This is what I do as well (where there is a cast board - isn't always the case in London theatres even though I understand there is an agreement between Equity and SOLT to have them)

I've often found there's a lack of provision of cast sheets at regional theatres for touring companies like BRB and NB, or that the cast sheets are from a previous performance (usually opening night). I've always considered it disrespectful to the artists dancing at that particular performance- particularly the latter practice of attributing their performance to other artists. When I've asked duty managers for a correct version, I've generally been met with a blank stare, and have put it down to lack of understanding of the art form and its traditions amongst staff in theatres where ballet is presented infrequently. 

Edited by RHowarth
Missing word
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Will there be a screen somewhere at the ROH that people without mobile phones will be able to see the casting, although we will need good memories.

Yes - there are a number of places where the cast sheet is displayed on a large screen, for example on the right hand side of the main foyer.