No cast sheets at Covent Garden

I think the ice cream in the Auditorium scene was while seats were socially distanced as was probably safer then to eat in seat than in a group standing in a foyer but now seating is back to normal there is no longer an advantage to this and in fact is a distinct disadvantage as eating means no mask for sure!! 
Anyway glad it seems to have gone back to normal. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be a pain about this, but please can someone tell me how you get hold of nice neat PDF (or whatever) cast sheets for Romeo & Juliet which don't have the yucky URL at the top?  I go to:

https://www.roh.org.uk/about/cast-sheets

I click on R&J and the relevant date, which takes me to e.g. https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan/cast-list/48943

I then click on the big red Print button, which then produces a 3-page document for printing which has (part of) the URL twice across the top, and "Page x of 3" and the time and datestamp at the bottom.  Some people have managed to get them to print off "properly", but I can't seem to manage it.  What am I doing wrong?

It works fine for The Dante Project :(

20 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Maybe try a different brower Alison?  I'm using Chrome and don't have this problem when printing.

18 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, for me Chrome and Edge work fine, but using Firefox gives the issue that Alison has described.

Thank you, both of you.  Yes, on trying a different browser (Edge, or my Chromebook) it works, although I'm still a little bemused as to why Firefox has a problem with R&J when it doesn't with Dante.  Strange.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I normally (nowadays) print off a cast sheet before I leave home. Last night, I left home too early and the cast sheet wasn't up yet. I took a photo of the cast list that was up in the ROH foyer en route to meeting my companions for a meal before the performance, but the light was poor and that and the sizing made it difficult to 'read' the photo. When we went back to the theatre for the performance, I tried to read a digital code with my camera so I could see a proper cast sheet (inc synopsis, intervals etc) but all three codes I tried didn't work. I don't think the problem was with my camera since I've often used it for signing into venues etc (inc at the ROH) and I did ask an usher if I was doing something wrong and she tried but said that the code just didn't seem to be working. Very poor.

Edited by bridiem
Clause added
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I normally (nowadays) print off a cast sheet before I leave home. Last night, I left home too early and the cast sheet wasn't up yet. I took a photo of the cast list that was up in the ROH foyer en route to meeting my companions for a meal before the performance, but the light was poor and that and the sizing made it difficult to 'read' the photo. When we went back to the theatre for the performance, I tried to read a digital code with my camera so I could see a proper cast sheet (inc synopsis, intervals etc) but all three codes I tried didn't work. I don't think the problem was with my camera since I've often used it for signing into venues etc (inc at the ROH) and I did ask an usher if I was doing something wrong and she tried but said that the code just didn't seem to be working. Very poor.

I have found that typing ROH Cast Sheets into my Browser usually brings up the full page of choices if that is any help…

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I have found that typing ROH Cast Sheets into my Browser usually brings up the full page of choices if that is any help…

Thanks, I've bookmarked that on my phone in case this happens again. But of course it shouldn't be necessary.

I completely forgot there would be no paper cast lists last night. Friends with me were saying it went up very late yesterday so if you had to leave home earlier you would have had no chance to print off before leaving anyway though one had managed to do so. 
I didn’t print my ticket off till about 2pm just before I left and apparently wasn’t up by then. 

I do hope they come back again at some point though know they probably won’t. 

• Like 1

Please, for those of us that fumble with phones, have ageing eyesight, leave home before the ROH has remembered to update the cast list, or likes a paper copy without using our paper and printer ink, bring back cast lists! Would also help new visitors, who pay £8 for a programme that doesn't tell them who is dancing and keep searching through it in vain. A real false economy.

• Like 12

Yes, if you want to save paper,  cut down on the Friends' magazine, or make the programme shorter and less glossy.

I sat on the red velvet sofa next to the desk in the amphi corridor for half an hour the other night, ( wonderful free entertainment sitting there) and every single person who went up to the desk asked for a cast sheet. I did feel sorry for the usher who had to cope with this and she was very good. But the responses were all in the range disbelief - annoyance.

• Like 6

I’m one of those who can’t get the cast list before travelling down to ROH but I usually take a quick photo of the printed cast list in the foyer to refer to - there’s one on each level.

It would be nice if the printed programmes had the cast list after people had paid £8 for it though 😊. I think a single A5 sheet with cast names on one or both sides inside it (if a big cast) would be helpful. Not a folded  two or three page glossy thing that we used to have, perhaps. 

My personal suggestion (having seen the mess some patrons left behind of discarded cast sheets in the past), is to encourage paperless/digital, but to have a small number of paper copies for people who don’t or can’t have a smartphone or camera. 

Edited by Emeralds

Didn’t one of the recent programmes list the cast inside the programme? Although this only partly solves the problem as it was only the main parts as listed online and not comprehensive. 

I would pay 50p for a cast sheet. Or (controversially?) could members get a free one - could be another benefit of being one that would encourage more to join? And or get a free one if you buy a programme (could help encourage programme sales and also eliminate annoyance if people pay for a programme thinking the cast list will be inside).

I find the printed ones despite their large size quite difficult to read due to the spacing between the character and the dancers’ names and the font size. I think by eliminating the synopsis and having just it as the casting only might help this perhaps. 

I very much miss the cast sheets - I do make a habit of printing my own (usually after the performance due to timing) as record but it’s not the same as the glossy ROH paper and them all being the same format…

• Like 6

Perhaps a little more easily available information  from the ROH as to how to access digital cast sheets would help.

When viewing mine from my phone, I have been asked on at least four occasions how I managed to do this, by people sitting next to me who had been unsuccessfully trying to do the same via the ROH website.

• Like 1

Australian Ballet has ceased paper cast sheets. Instead we're supposed to use a QR code which takes us to a page listing (for the current Anna Karenina) six roles, conductor, concert master, and vocal soloist. Very unfair IMHO to the dancers in smaller roles, particularly one male role, who now have no chance to be identified by the casual ballet-goer, and even regulars like myself are struggling. I did bail up Mr Hallberg most politely in the lift last night (hah my timing was excellent) and explain my view, and he said (possibly to shut me up) that he will "speak to the team responsible". I asked if we could please have downloadable PDFs because for example I still have mine from his first Nutcracker with AusBallet in 2010 and that did make him smile ...

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just looking through my old cast sheet pdfs and one I downloaded a day or so after the performance doesn’t have the cast change on it. I sort of assumed they would update the cast sheets with the actual performers – what’s the paperless equivalent of the cast change notices we used to get?

And it’s not there anymore anyway so my records are incomplete 🙁. BALANCHINE AND ROBBINS FRIDAY 4 JUNE 2021 AT 7PM. Not shouting, just a lazy cut n paste 🙂.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

(Apologies for bumping an older thread.) I am, belatedly, trying to download those cast sheets from the 2021/22 season that weren't automatic .pdfs. Unfortunately I have found that the cast sheets for October-January, while still listed on the cast sheets page, now no longer have working links, instead leading to the good old technical error 500 page that we're all familiar with! So I was wondering if there was any chance anyone had saved .pdfs of the cast sheets for the following performances & would be able to send me copies?

Romeo & Juliet 5th October, 9th October matinee, 13th October

Giselle 10th November, 18th November, 22nd November, 27th November

Nutcracker 5th January

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Romeo & Juliet 5th October, 9th October matinee, 13th October

Giselle 10th November, 18th November, 22nd November, 27th November

Nutcracker 5th January

I have the R&J ones, but only the eve, not matinee of the 9th; 27th Nov Giselle, evening + mat

• Like 1

Looks as though I can do all three of those for you, Dawnstar.  Can I still attach them to a PM, or have the Powers That Be changed everything again?

EDIT: Surprise surprise - they have.  Dawnstar, can you send me an email address via PM, please?

• Like 2

Isn’t there a general problem with all cast sheets just at present? I could only access the current cast sheet by going to ‘what’s on’ and the cast sheet for the forthcoming performance is uploaded a couple of hours or so in advance of the performance. I’d have hoped that once the website is sorted we’d be able to access all cast sheets as normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Isn’t there a general problem with all cast sheets just at present? I could only access the current cast sheet by going to ‘what’s on’ and the cast sheet for the forthcoming performance is uploaded a couple of hours or so in advance of the performance. I’d have hoped that once the website is sorted we’d be able to access all cast sheets as normal.

Link for ROH cast sheets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to have just been talking about accessing cast lists on the Cinderella thread 🤔

I’m not understanding the problem for accessing if it’s the current season at least ….I don’t know about going back into another season though. 
The cast lists for any onstage performances always has a link to it in the email from the ROH about your up and coming visit …the one that starts “Important Reminder” about your visit.