Collective letter to Friends of Covent Garden regarding allocation of single seats

Hi all! I’m formulating a letter to the Friends of Covent Garden, designed to be signed by as many Members as wish to, to make a group complaint about their continuing poor attitude towards people who need to book single tickets, at a time when the only way they could treat members equitably is to have a seating plan based on all seats being singles. If you would like to be a signatory, please drop me an email at ruth.elleson@gmail.com - I intend to have something drafted by tomorrow which will then be circulated for review.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

What a great idea! I'm not sure I should sign, as I'm not a Friend, nor do I get to CG v often, but it is an issue in almost every theatre I try to book nowadays. It's very discriminatory.

It is. But when it’s an organisation that’s had a large amount of my money (Supporting Friends membership renewal and a substantial donation of ticket refunds) in a year of almost no artistic output, and in which my own income has taken a bit of a hit as well, they need to know how much goodwill they’re squandering. People are going to choose not to renew, or to renew at the cheapest possible level, or to edit an intended legacy out of their will. They’re snubbing a huge proportion of their most loyal supporters.  “Friendship” works both ways, and a friendship in which one side is doing all the financial and emotional investment while being ignored by the other, is what most of us would recognise as a toxic relationship.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

at a time when the only way they could treat members equitably is to have a seating plan based on all seats being singles. 

Out of interest, do you know any other cultural venue that has done this?  I don't think I do (certainly not Sadler's Wells, the Southbank Centre, Wigmore Hall, Glyndebourne, Opera Holland Park, Birmingham Rep).  I know some venues (commercial theatre) that have had all seats available to purchase and, when one or more seats are purchased, the logarithms in their booking system remove seats from sale to allow for physical distancing.  

Like everyone else, I am hoping that we will be back to normal come September and this will no longer be an issue at the ROH (and we can concentrate on those annoying places that won't let you book one or more seats if it will leave a single seat).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

Hi all! I’m formulating a letter to the Friends of Covent Garden, designed to be signed by as many Members as wish to, to make a group complaint about their continuing poor attitude towards people who need to book single tickets, at a time when the only way they could treat members equitably is to have a seating plan based on all seats being singles. If you would like to be a signatory, please drop me an email at ruth.elleson@gmail.com - I intend to have something drafted by tomorrow which will then be circulated for review.

I’m afraid that the same dilemma is brewing in the USA...maybe at Kennedy Center Opera House? My KC-Dance Series renewal letter came last weekend and I’ve been assigned two seats (double cost) instead of just my old seat. My usual seat mate (pays separately), who I telephoned, has been assigned two seats further down our row.

I suspect that there will be very few, if any, seats left for “one-show-only” tickets...such as the Mariinsky’s run in late-April 2022. I may have to renew my full subscription - at double the price - just to ensure seeing the Mariinsky next year...even if I’m not thrilled with the other season offerings - many with a political “woke” tinge that I don’t wish to patronize. We old subscribers have until June 4 to renew. Is one show - a night at the Mariinsky’s Jewels - worth $1,000 ($500 per seat subscription to 6 shows x 2)?

Being in the USA, your letter wouldn’t apply to me but I feel your pain!

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Out of interest, do you know any other cultural venue that has done this?  I don't think I do (certainly not Sadler's Wells, the Southbank Centre, Wigmore Hall, Glyndebourne, Opera Holland Park, Birmingham Rep).

Jan McNulty says they’ve managed it at the Leeds Grand. I’m also aware of several examples elsewhere in the world, including the Salzburg Festival, Royal Danish opera and I believe Bayreuth.

These are places that have specifically done a “chessboard” seating plan.

Other options include being allowed to book for a certain seating area (up to a total capacity), stating the number in your group, and having actual seats allocated later.

Edited by RuthE

I don't feel I can really complain directly to the ROH since, as I'm not due to have my 2nd vaccine unti the beginning of JUly, I decided not to risk booking any seats, but I certainly don't think they are treating their Friends very well. I really picked a bad time to join the ROH Friends scheme: year 1 the latter third of the season cancelled & year 2 very few performances. It looks like I am going to get absolutely no value out of my £105 2nd year of membership (okay, they've sent a couple of magazines but I don't read those) & I am very uncertain as to whether it's going to be worthwhile paying for a 3rd year of membership, especially as there's no certainty that there won't be another wave of covid with associated lockdown & cancelled performances.

36 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Out of interest, do you know any other cultural venue that has done this?  I don't think I do (certainly not Sadler's Wells, the Southbank Centre, Wigmore Hall, Glyndebourne, Opera Holland Park, Birmingham Rep).

I’m not familiar with how Sadler’s Wells or Birmingham Rep has handled it, but of the other venues you mention, the need for a fully one-at-a-time booking system hasn’t come up, because they’ve been pretty fair in how singles and pairs have been distributed in the first place.

The SBC had terrible optics but did say when asked that a single booker could take one of a pair and have the other put out of commission.

The biggest issue I spotted at Glyndebourne was that the second price up from the bottom (covering much of the Upper Circle) was double the bottom price (covering restricted view), and there were no singles at bottom price - however as they acknowledged that Step 3 permits indoor mixing as well as theatres able to open at 50% capacity, I at least knew that I could attend with a +1 of my choice! So this didn’t affect me personally.

OHP’s seating plan had seats arranged in various groupings including many singles, and lots of choice, as well as an overt instruction that if you couldn’t find an appropriate bubble size you should contact the box office to get it sorted. (The ROH has been 100% unhelpful and unwilling in this regard - I acknowledge that OHP now has more flexibility in where it physically puts the seats, but still...)

And the Wigmore Hall has, from Day 1 of socially-distanced audiences, invited applications in 1s or 2s and I’ve usually got what I asked for!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I’m not familiar with how Sadler’s Wells or Birmingham Rep has handled it, but of the other venues you mention, the need for a fully one-at-a-time booking system hasn’t come up, because they’ve been pretty fair in how singles and pairs have been distributed in the first place.

The SBC had terrible optics but did say when asked that a single booker could take one of a pair and have the other put out of commission.

The biggest issue I spotted at Glyndebourne was that the second price up from the bottom (covering much of the Upper Circle) was double the bottom price (covering restricted view), and there were no singles at bottom price - however as they acknowledged that Step 3 permits indoor mixing as well as theatres able to open at 50% capacity, I at least knew that I could attend with a +1 of my choice! So this didn’t affect me personally.

OHP’s seating plan had seats arranged in various groupings including many singles, and lots of choice, as well as an overt instruction that if you couldn’t find an appropriate bubble size you should contact the box office to get it sorted. (The ROH has been 100% unhelpful and unwilling in this regard - I acknowledge that OHP now has more flexibility in where it physically puts the seats, but still...)

And the Wigmore Hall has, from Day 1 of socially-distanced audiences, invited applications in 1s or 2s and I’ve usually got what I asked for!

so lots of options there that aren’t the only equitable solution mentioned in the OP.

Am pleased Leeds Grand was able to do something helpful but it is a commercial theatre with different funding and different considerations to theatres like the ROH.

I do acknowledge that the ROH haven’t gone about this in the best possible way for everyone but I do think there are things going on behind the scenes that affect how this is done. As someone else said on another thread, it’s probable that spending money on a booking system that would deal with this issue wouldn’t be a prudent use of that money in the current circumstances and there are considerations around staffing. Personally, given the (relatively) limited number of performances affected (again, in hope that things are back to normal come September), I think the ROH are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this and are trying very hard to do the right thing and ensure a future for the building and the companies. In doing so, they won’t be able to please everyone but it is (hopefully) only temporary.  

• Like 2

Gosh, this is all hugely discriminatory against those of us who chose to attend the theatre on our own. I tend to book solo - because I just like to focus on the performance, or I know I'll meet with friends & colleagues at the theatre anyway.

But this is makes almost a social stigma about going to the theatre alone. It's quite disgraceful really.

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

Gosh, this is all hugely discriminatory against those of us who chose to attend the theatre on our own. I tend to book solo - because I just like to focus on the performance, or I know I'll meet with friends & colleagues at the theatre anyway.

But this is makes almost a social stigma about going to the theatre alone. It's quite disgraceful really.

At least from 17th May it’s *legally allowed* to mix with somebody indoors from outside your household. So most of us *could* help solve the problem by accepting the temporary inconvenience and lack of spontaneity of having to find a friend to go with. What’s been extremely galling over the last few months, especially when theatres were briefly open around November - and this isn’t a ROH problem - is the fact that for anyone who doesn’t live with someone with identical interests, we had three choices: book a single, book a pair for just ourself (and pay double), or don’t go at all.

Which to be blunt was like a kick in the teeth from those companies which offered seating only or mostly in pairs - having been stuck alone in my flat for several months, longing to go to the theatre.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 3

I am not a member although I have tried to support ROH with small contributions here and there (requesting tickets be donated, and doing a separate small donation). As alluded to already, hopefully by the time the 2021/22 season rolls round this won't be an issue with full houses being able to be booked. But I think it's right to be raised in case social distancing does have to continue, and also to reflect the frustration with the current situation.

It is really unfair to penalise single/solo attendees this way, part of the joy of the live performance is sharing it with others. But that doesn't mean you need to come as a pair/group - and you shouldn't be talking during performances anyway so all single seats under social distancing regime feels fairer. But I can see how only single seats could potentially reduce overall seats available potentially (although surely not if all seats were single but I guess it depends on the theatre configuration) so am sympathetic to ROH here. 

I was really really looking forward to returning to ROH but looks like I'll either have to buy two tickets to attend alone (which feels both unfair to me having to pay double, and also means a wasted seat which feels especially sad given the lack of capacity with social distancing) or just give up on attending until social distancing is no longer in place. 

I remember from last time the frustration of going through and selecting multiple dates/categories only to keep being told 1 single ticket wasn't available - if we could clearly see a seating map that shows there are no single tickets available at least I wouldn't waste my time! Again hopefully this is only a short term measure whilst social distancing remains but I really hope/presume the ability to select specific seats will return. 

Fully support ROH being made aware of this - definitely wouldn't want to kick them while they're down and appreciate the current difficulties but equally it seems right to raise awareness of this in case social distancing has to continue, and if nothing else to highlight the lack of fairness and to reiterate when things do go back to 'normal' we need to be able to select individual seats from a map highlighting availability! 

I hope those that have managed to book performances (solo or otherwise, at ROH or elsewhere) enjoy them, I can't wait to go back!

• Like 6

I suspect that probably the majority of ROH-goers on here probably book singly for much of the time: indeed, I think I'll set up a poll to find out.

My problem is that, given my legroom problems, I had thought that while social distancing was in place I could at least book better seats than usual if I was guaranteed nobody sitting next to me, and if so, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more.  But if I'm going to have to buy two tickets, that's a different matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

At least from 17th May it’s *legally allowed* to mix with somebody indoors from outside your household. So most of us *could* help solve the problem by accepting the temporary inconvenience and lack of spontaneity of having to find a friend to go with.

Though that only works if you have suitable friends. I can't think of anyone I know who I could get to attend an RB performance with me over the next few months. Even if I were able to attend with my mother (which I can't at the moment as she's having health problems) it would be difficult to book a pair of seats as I like to sit as near the stage as I can afford to whereas she likes to sit further back.

ETA Today I booked for an Opera North performance & booked a pair of seats because, at £14.50 per seat, it was actually cheaper than booking the cheapest single seats at £35 per seat! I can't afford to do that at the ROH though, as the side stalls seats I prefer are usually £50+ for just one seat.

Edited by Dawnstar

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Out of interest, do you know any other cultural venue that has done this?  I don't think I do (certainly not Sadler's Wells, the Southbank Centre, Wigmore Hall, Glyndebourne, Opera Holland Park, Birmingham Rep).  I know some venues (commercial theatre) that have had all seats available to purchase and, when one or more seats are purchased, the logarithms in their booking system remove seats from sale to allow for physical distancing.  

Like everyone else, I am hoping that we will be back to normal come September and this will no longer be an issue at the ROH (and we can concentrate on those annoying places that won't let you book one or more seats if it will leave a single seat).

Will we have to wait until September for it to be back to normal.  I have been chasing my tail looking at the ticket situation regarding the Royal Ballet School performances and whilst we are currently in social distancing in theatres surely come June 21st all that will go away so theatre's can sell all seats.  The matinee performance is on the 10th July so why can't they sell all the seats after June 21st.

1 minute ago, SPD444 said:

Will we have to wait until September for it to be back to normal.  I have been chasing my tail looking at the ticket situation regarding the Royal Ballet School performances and whilst we are currently in social distancing in theatres surely come June 21st all that will go away so theatre's can sell all seats.  The matinee performance is on the 10th July so why can't they sell all the seats after June 21st.

I'd be very happy if they did that!

I can readily see why such a situation would be desirable for many here - but, as I have understood the Covid roadmap, each decision is only taken in the light of data/evidence as at the previous Monday.  And with the implications of the 21 June date going way beyond the ROH seating policy, I can't see that decision being rushed.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

I assume (hope) that they could release the extra seats if/when it's confirmed that social distancing is no longer required after 21st June.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I can readily see why such a situation would be desirable for many here - but, as I have understood the Covid roadmap, each decision is only taken in the light of data/evidence as at the previous Monday.  And with the implications of the 21 June date going way beyond the ROH seating policy, I can't see that decision being rushed.

Hasn't the ROH has already said they will social distance until the Autumn season 

In the footnote of the 13 April news release?

Edited by oncnp

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Though that only works if you have suitable friends. I can't think of anyone I know who I could get to attend an RB performance with me over the next few months. Even if I were able to attend with my mother (which I can't at the moment as she's having health problems) it would be difficult to book a pair of seats as I like to sit as near the stage as I can afford to whereas she likes to sit further back.

ETA Today I booked for an Opera North performance & booked a pair of seats because, at £14.50 per seat, it was actually cheaper than booking the cheapest single seats at £35 per seat! I can't afford to do that at the ROH though, as the side stalls seats I prefer are usually £50+ for just one seat.

Although I feel very guilty, I booked 2 tickets priced £14 at the ROH too, for the same reason, that the same seat costs more than £28 for visiting companies and probably Swan Lake. Also I am not taking a seat from another single person.

I feel that the only fair situation is to sell single tickets at the moment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Hasn't the ROH has already said they will social distance until the Autumn season 

In the footnote of the 13 April news release?

I've been looking through the 13 April email and can't see that info, though it may well be there somewhere. I often find it difficult to isolate the important info in ROH emails/press releases. 

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I've been looking through the 13 April email and can't see that info, though it may well be there somewhere. I often find it difficult to isolate the important info in ROH emails/press releases. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-announces-packed-schedule-for-spring-and-summer-2021  at the very bottom

All in-person performances at the Royal Opera House will be for a socially-distanced until the start of the 2021/2022 Season in September.

Edited by oncnp

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-announces-packed-schedule-for-spring-and-summer-2021  at the very bottom

All in-person performances at the Royal Opera House will be for a socially-distanced until the start of the 2021/2022 Season in September.

OK. I can see what's happened. You're linking here to the news item on the ROH website, but the same sentence is not in the email sent to Friends on that date, or in the links to further info about ballets and casting in that email. So unless I separately read the news item on the ROH website (and why would I do that when I've received a long email apparently giving me all the same/relevant info?) I wouldn't know this.

Maybe the problem is that even if they were in theory allowed to sell all the tickets after 21st June, some patrons who have already booked thinking it would be socially distanced wouldn't want to come to a full house?

• Like 2

I've booked for Carlos Acosta at the Lowry towards the end of July and those seats are being sold as socially distanced (with discrimination against single bookers BUT there were some better placed single tickets so perhaps they have listened to people's complaints).

Single tickets only isn’t equitable as it precludes families. To maintain 1.5 or 2 metres between single seats would presumably reduce the capacity to what, a quarter? Ideally they’d have a dynamic booking system like they have at cinemas. I haven’t seen inside the socially distanced ROH, do they not allocate many single tickets? I had tickets for Christmas but then London went into tier 4 and our hopes were dashed!

• Like 1

What a disappointment! I haven't been able to book ROH tickets as my first jab is next Monday & 2nd not until 20th July so I'm not risking myself or others before then.  However, I received a lovely email from the Young Vic theatre BO several weeks ago reallocating me a seat for their delayed production of Cush Jumbo's Hamlet at the end of July - a single seat (upgraded from the original price bracket because of distancing) - so theatres can treat their customers well if they choose & generate good will (the Bridge Theatre has also done this).  I know ROH is X times bigger & more complex, but not to cater at all for single attendees is not the way to treat loyal supporters, let alone Friends members. 

I gave up my Friends membership a few years ago when an especially high round of seat ticket prices for limited view seats irked me beyond endurance tied in with changes to tickets for Friend's events made clear people not prepared to fork out large sums of money were increasingly less welcome & less tolerated (I should that since 1992 some years I have been to 50 plus performances & depending on the show I buy single tickets across all tiers & prices). I have missed ballet in the last year, but not at any price!

• Like 2

OK, I've just had another go at the ROH ticket booking. Only by booking 2 tickets can I get where I want to be - which is near the front of the Orch Stalls. The tickets I have booked as singles are Row T and Row V and I am a Supporting Friend so pretty high up in the pecking order. I'm also a member of the Fonteyn Circle - more £££ sponsorship.  I know I'm fortunate to be able to do this, but it is high on my priority list of life choices.  I was so disappointed yesterday when I repeatedly clicked the 1 ticket selection and was told - not available.  I can't see properly if I am not close to the stage, so enjoyment is lost if I book alternative parts of the House.  I almost gave up at one point and this for Mixed Bills which I would not normally see as my favourite offerings. Imagine if it was Manon or Mayerling!  

I know we should think ourselves lucky just to be there, but.........................

I also know the super sponsors give £KKKKs and thus get first choices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I assume (hope) that they could release the extra seats if/when it's confirmed that social distancing is no longer required after 21st June.

Then if they did that I'd have to return my tickets - on the assumption that I'd booked seats I wouldn't normally be able to sit in simply because there was supposed to be nobody sitting next to me.  Not to mention anyone else who might understandably be getting cold feet at the prospect of sitting next to a stranger still.

• Like 3