Collective letter to Friends of Covent Garden regarding allocation of single seats

I think that the ROH probably announced that its seating would remain socially distanced until next season in order to avoid a situation where:

• people booked under one protocol but found themselves attending in the midst of a completely different scenario; and
  • many of us got even more exercised than we currently are because, in order to get single seats, we had had to accept locations in the auditorium which were not to our liking and then found that, having been originally denied (e.g.) the front row, we then had several rows of people sitting in front of us

From a conversation I had with a member of the ROH staff this afternoon (having been unable to get through earlier) most of the Friends/Patrons and Booking Teams have been having their ears bent all day - and the issue of lack of single seats has been predominant.

The point about 'friendship' having been almost entirely one-way during the past 13 months or so is well made.

But I did have a similar problem booking for ENB at Sadlers Wells - virtually no single seats available in the lower areas of the theatre. And the RFH was no better.

• Like 7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, capybara said:

But I did have a similar problem booking for ENB at Sadlers Wells - virtually no single seats available in the lower areas of the theatre. And the RFH was no better.

I don’t have the info to comment further on Sadler‘s Wells. However, I challenged the Southbank Centre about the lack of singles in the RFH seating plan, and was told that there was flexibility available - a single booker could call the box office and be allowed to book one of a pair, with the other removed from sale. So their initial optics were poor, and they weren’t transparent about how they could accommodate people, but they *were* - like just about every other org I’ve heard reports about - able to find solutions where necessary.

In contrast, the ROH has taken a blanket “computer says no” attitude, which has resulted in the ridiculous scenario whereby people paying £1260pa in membership - that’s a Premium 1 subscription - were in some actual reported cases unable to access a seat anywhere in the Stalls Circle or Balcony as a single, while a member of the general public who’s able to book as a pair can go in later this morning and have a good choice of seats throughout the house.

I’m sure that as lovers of the arts we all appreciate the decisions that will have had to be made about how best to use the available capacity. But telling members who complain that they can’t “leave a gap in the seating plan” (I’ve now seen emails from 2 members who’ve been told this) is not acceptable. We are all individual members, not awkwardly-shaped jigsaw pieces that can be slotted in to fill in the corners. Our money and loyalty was good enough for the ROH when they were taking our membership money, and if their seating plan fails to cater for such an enormous subset of us, they need a new (or more flexibly-managed) seating plan.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 5

I thought I read somewhere that there were more single seats available this time round. Why was it possible to buy single tickets at least hours after general release last time but sold out before Friends had finished booking this time? 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I thought I read somewhere that there were more single seats available this time round. Why was it possible to buy single tickets at least hours after general release last time but sold out before Friends had finished booking this time? 🤔

Perhaps they release a new allocation for general public? It’s always (in recent history) been a requirement of their funding agreement, though I don’t know if this is currently waived.

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

Perhaps they release a new allocation for general public? It’s always (in recent history) been a requirement of their funding agreement, though I don’t know if this is currently waived.

Or perhaps not. A friend of mine (who could have booked as a Friend yesterday but forgot) reports that the best she could do this morning (following public booking opening) for any performance of Don Giovanni was a £184 stalls seat.

Gosh ... you’d think the ROH would know from historical bookings, that the volume of single seat purchasers is high?  Or at least higher than they’ve catered for?

Edited by FionaE
Typo

Britain is not alone. Wolf Trap in the Wash, DC, area - a national park for the performing arts, funded by tax payers, in great part - is only selling "pods" of even-numbered tickets. Singles are not available. Minimum # of two can be purchased. The Filene Center has a roof but is open on three sides & picnickers sit on a grassy hill behind the seats (totally outdoor).

Our tax dollars at work, fostering elitism. Good grief.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Perhaps demand for pairs is even higher...

And demand for revenue higher still

21 hours ago, Peony said:

Single tickets only isn’t equitable as it precludes families. To maintain 1.5 or 2 metres between single seats would presumably reduce the capacity to what, a quarter? Ideally they’d have a dynamic booking system like they have at cinemas. I haven’t seen inside the socially distanced ROH, do they not allocate many single tickets? I had tickets for Christmas but then London went into tier 4 and our hopes were dashed!

Having now drafted the letter, I’ve acknowledged that any “chessboard” pattern would need to have designated areas to accommodate people whose groups include young children or a disabled person. Other than that, I’m sure families can survive sitting with one seat empty between members for an hour and a half at a time.

(As one of my friends said - she’s been with her husband virtually 24 hours a day for over a year, so is quite sure she won’t miss him unduly while sitting a metre apart while watching a show.)

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Having now drafted the letter, I’ve acknowledged that any “chessboard” pattern would need to have designated areas to accommodate people whose groups include young children or a disabled person. Other than that, I’m sure families can survive sitting with one seat empty between members for an hour and a half at a time.

(As one of my friends said - she’s been with her husband virtually 24 hours a day for over a year, so is quite sure she won’t miss him unduly while sitting a metre apart while watching a show.)

And, after all, single seaters can shuffle together if they are in one another's bubble. 

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

I think the problem is that the seat numbers are a random allocation and they don’t allow under 14s to sit without a parent (very sensibly!). When I booked earlier I got seats nowhere near each other- different rows and different sides. I tried several times, different performance days and areas and the same thing happened. Luckily one of mine is old enough to sit alone. 

They only appeared to have pairs as well, no 3s or 4s. So I ended up booking 2x2 so in the same boat of paying for an extra!

Edited by Peony

1 hour ago, capybara said:

And, after all, single seaters can shuffle together if they are in one another's bubble. 

Actually, not necessarily. It’s up to the venue to sort that out to their satisfaction if they give a certain seating layout to your group. If you all skooch up together, you may no longer be compliant with distancing from the people in front and behind.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

Whatever happened to the "Seat out to help out" scheme that people were urging the Chancellor to bring in?  Has it been displaced by this Government's apparent disdain for the arts in general?

• Like 1

There are now three threads on this subject and it’s getting bit confusing.

However, the essential point about single seats AT THE MOMENT is that a number of people who would normally book as a pair have been precluded from doing so because of the social distancing rules.

That obvious fact renders the ROH research referred to completely irrelevant in relation to the summer booking period.

Was that considered? No, of course not.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, capybara said:

However, the essential point about single seats AT THE MOMENT is that a number of people who would normally book as a pair have been precluded from doing so because of the social distancing rules.

That obvious fact renders the ROH research referred to completely irrelevant in relation to the summer booking period.

Aren’t we awaiting government advice on the social distancing rules between friends and family from 17 May?  I believe a lot of people are thinking (rightly or wrongly) that the rules will be relaxed so there’s no need to socially distance in your group of 6.

Whether everyone who would usually attend in a pair is comfortable in doing so even with relaxed rules is another question entirely (but I’d say that a risk assessment for them to make).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Aren’t we awaiting government advice on the social distancing rules between friends and family from 17 May?  I believe a lot of people are thinking (rightly or wrongly) that the rules will be relaxed so there’s no need to socially distance in your group of 6.

Whether everyone who would usually attend in a pair is comfortable in doing so even with relaxed rules is another question entirely (but I’d say that a risk assessment for them to make).

What we’re awaiting for confirmation of, post-17-May, is if we are going into Step 3. This allows (a) 50% capacity audiences, and (b) household mixing indoors. If they can open at all, it’s (legally) OK to go with somebody not in your bubble.

5 minutes ago, RuthE said:

What we’re awaiting for confirmation of, post-17-May, is if we are going into Step 3. This allows (a) 50% capacity audiences, and (b) household mixing indoors. If they can open at all, it’s (legally) OK to go with somebody not in your bubble.

to quote from gov.uk

Social contact

As part of Step 3, no earlier than 17 May, the government will look to continue easing limits on seeing friends and family wherever possible, allowing people to decide on the appropriate level of risk for their circumstances.

This means that most legal restrictions on meeting others outdoors will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal. Indoors, the Rule of 6 or 2 households will apply - we will keep under review whether it is safe to increase this.

As soon as possible and by no later than Step 3, we will also update the advice on social distancing between friends and family, including hugging. But until this point, people should continue to keep their distance from anyone not in their household or support bubble.

I don’t think that contradicts anything I said, does it?

I know that Glyndebourne for one opened their whole season for booking on that basis. If the show is on, it’s up to you to risk-assess who your +1 is.

14 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I don’t think that contradicts anything I said, does it?

I know that Glyndebourne for one opened their whole season for booking on that basis. If the show is on, it’s up to you to risk-assess who your +1 is.

I thought there was a distinction between “meet” and “be close to to for significant periods of time” but it is really confusing and not at all clear.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

There are now three threads on this subject and it’s getting bit confusing.

The letter makes this point very clearly!

My point is that the current demand for single seats was likely to be higher currently than any previous ROH research suggested.

That is why using ‘normal’ data is not an acceptable argument in response to complaints. (I think the research was mentioned in another thread.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

My point is that the current demand for single seats was likely to be higher currently than any previous ROH research suggested.

That is why using ‘normal’ data is not an acceptable argument in response to complaints. (I think the research was mentioned in another thread.)

I quote from the draft letter:

It should have been immediately obvious to everyone that the social distancing requirements of the past year would temporarily greatly increase the proportional demand for single tickets for any live performance, even among people who may usually book as one of a pair. For anyone who is the only member of their household wishing to attend a performance, the choice has been to go alone or not go at all, and while this should become easier in Step 3 of the Government roadmap, it will not cease to be a problem until the vaccination programme is far closer to completion.”

This discussion about seating would be better informed if the ROH had published a layout plan showing how all the available seating has been laid out, so we could see both  the overall allocation of doubles v singles  and their respective positioning. 

Although I attended the one live mixed bill that was managed in November, the split of seating wasn't something I properly clocked at the time.

Given the circumstances I suspect the desire to maximize the total number of seats available would have  been a major consideration. The particular layout of the ROH may not have made it easy to design a compliant scheme.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

This discussion about seating would be better informed if the ROH had published a layout plan showing how all the available seating has been laid out, so we could see both  the overall allocation of doubles v singles  and their respective positioning.

But would they actually know?  What if someone messes up their carefully laid-out plans by asking for 3 tickets instead of 2, say, and all the other seats have to be adjusted leftwards (or rightwards) as a result? 

6 hours ago, alison said:

But would they actually know?  What if someone messes up their carefully laid-out plans by asking for 3 tickets instead of 2, say, and all the other seats have to be adjusted leftwards (or rightwards) as a result? 

Sorry Alison I don't understand...surely  the layout is fixed prior to release of any tickets, and could be published?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Sorry Alison I don't understand...surely  the layout is fixed prior to release of any tickets, and could be published?

A conversation I had last autumn and in April suggests that the pattern is indeed fixed.

• Like 2

My experience is that the ROH has worked tirelessly to support & maintain its performers and to bring them back onstage at the earliest opportunity to entertain and delight us.  Demand for a limited supply of tickets far ourstrips the supply currently permitted by Government restrictions.  No one, anywhere, is perfect, no one can get everything right.  Rather than criticise, I want to applaud everyone involved in doing such a magnificent job in bringing live performances back the very day that they are allowed by the Government. Many other theatres & arts organisations are not doing so. 

I certainly understand and share the frustration of others who have wanted to buy single seats. On Friday I was rendering my head hairless in my frustration. I took a breath (several in fact) and, putting things in perspective, realised that this situation of social distancing and a reduced capacity is only temporary and, as things stand, (fingers crossed) will not continue beyond this short Spring/Summer season. 
Looking at the bigger picture, even pre-pandemic I didn’t always get the seats that I wanted. And that was when all seats in the house were available for many more performances than can currently be offered.

Pent-up demand for many events at all arts and sports venues has led to a booking frenzy this past couple of weeks.  It isn’t just the ROH whose supply cannot match demand in these exceptional circumstances. 
Also, don’t give up hope of seats yet. I was told that there was such a booking frenzy last week that many seats are already being returned for resale as patrons check their diaries and are realising that they can’t attend on the dates booked. Box Office staff have been working over the weekend dealing with all the extra workload that has resulted from these returns. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, capybara said:

A conversation I had last autumn and in April suggests that the pattern is indeed fixed.

Hmm, yes, I'm coming to that conclusion.  I just did a dummy run trying to "book" 4 tickets, without success, although when last night I tried booking 2 x 2 seats that worked, so I'm rather concluding that you can only book in multiples of 2, at least at the moment.  But then I was slightly confused by being offered options 1-4 seats for most performances, but only 1-2 for one ...

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, yes, I'm coming to that conclusion.  I just did a dummy run trying to "book" 4 tickets, without success, although when last night I tried booking 2 x 2 seats that worked, so I'm rather concluding that you can only book in multiples of 2, at least at the moment.  But then I was slightly confused by being offered options 1-4 seats for most performances, but only 1-2 for one ...

I think you can buy 4 seats in a box!

• Like 3