RBS Junior Associate Auditions 2021

Tdc34

Oh my gosh is anyone else traumatised by this whole process already?! 😂 I don’t envy those of you doing this for the second time!

To be fair the filming itself was fine - it was rearranging the whole living room to have space to do it and also taking the various pictures.. usually our teacher would do that and send me the best ones - now I have 100s of DS standing at various angles to wade through! 

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for all the dancing kids grown ups, for the most part you haven’t a clue what you should be doing and nor should you, that is why you pay us dance teachers. The announcement next week will determine how my students proceed, I have never left any parent to their own devices with photos and application forms. I am hoping to go and take photos on doorsteps and drives otherwise it will be zoom 😩. Last year when the guidance changed to allow people to meet outside we filmed audition videos in parks, bandstands and gardens, complete with a portable floor. I have my fingers and toes crossed for some meetings outside and a little tiny bit of sun. Good luck everyone and please ask your dance teachers for help, I’m sure they will be glad of a distraction from the endless zoom calls and news doom scrolling

• Like 6

On 20/02/2021 at 20:46, Spamcat said:

I'd never heard of this. Is this in the term time in June? Will people keep kids off school?

It is in term time, and the sessions will be 6-10pm as they are New York time. We’re planning on my daughter having a lie-in and going into school late while she’s doing it, our school have previously been pretty flexible so hoping that will be ok! The other dates clashed with the summer school in Tring that we’ve already signed up to - really hope that goes ahead!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RachH said:

It is in term time, and the sessions will be 6-10pm as they are New York time. We’re planning on my daughter having a lie-in and going into school late while she’s doing it, our school have previously been pretty flexible so hoping that will be ok! The other dates clashed with the summer school in Tring that we’ve already signed up to - really hope that goes ahead!

Wow that sounds amazing, but tiring! The summer one clashes with English youth ballet which my DD has just accepted a place on but I don't think we would apply for the term time one. We have booked the Tring Easter school and have everything crossed it will go ahead 🤞🤞🤞😬

20 hours ago, Waverley said:

Oh my gosh is anyone else traumatised by this whole process already?! 😂 I don’t envy those of you doing this for the second time!

To be fair the filming itself was fine - it was rearranging the whole living room to have space to do it and also taking the various pictures.. usually our teacher would do that and send me the best ones - now I have 100s of DS standing at various angles to wade through! 

3rd time for us! 🤪🤪🙈

• Like 1

Just had a reply: 

“Thanks for getting in touch. The JA applications actually do not need a headshot, that is something that was required for the older students, but thank you for checking.“

Does anyone dare hazard a guess at when we might get the results this year? Are there three year groups to be looked at as last year, Year 6 was do e first. 

I wonder if we will hear by centre or age groups or both? I am going to try and not be as obsessed this time around but easier said than done 😂

I’m not clear on how it will work this year - last year they based the whole decision on the videos I believe but this year it says the ‘preliminary audition’ is by video and I’m sure I read somewhere that depending on restrictions etc that might be it or they might see some candidates in person.  I can’t now see where I read that though. 

In the past (pre-COVID) the results came out by centre in the order that they had held their auditions (and it was a long wait if you’d been in the first few auditions!) 

As a result of the roadmap out of lockdown, there was an email to say JA classes will hopefully return to live studio classes at the end of April.  WL final students are also going to be auditioned in person, so its a probable theory that they will assess preliminary videos and take a selection through to live auditions.  The thought of 'JA finals' sounds a bit harsh and extreme maybe?  But equally, they might identify great students immediately at video stage.  Who knows, but maybe they have more options this time round, as hopefully we appear to be heading towards a return to studios. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

As a result of the roadmap out of lockdown, there was an email to say JA classes will hopefully return to live studio classes at the end of April.  WL final students are also going to be auditioned in person, so its a probable theory that they will assess preliminary videos and take a selection through to live auditions.  The thought of 'JA finals' sounds a bit harsh and extreme maybe?  But equally, they might identify great students immediately at video stage.  Who knows, but maybe they have more options this time round, as hopefully we appear to be heading towards a return to studios. 

Fingers crossed. Has your son enjoyed his JA classes so far?

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

I’m not clear on how it will work this year - last year they based the whole decision on the videos I believe but this year it says the ‘preliminary audition’ is by video and I’m sure I read somewhere that depending on restrictions etc that might be it or they might see some candidates in person.  I can’t now see where I read that though. 

In the past (pre-COVID) the results came out by centre in the order that they had held their auditions (and it was a long wait if you’d been in the first few auditions!) 

Yes I remember this now also. Which means it might be a lot longer process! 

13 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Fingers crossed. Has your son enjoyed his JA classes so far?

Thank you, yes he has really enjoyed the classes so far.  I don't feel he's had many as he only started in January, and its every fortnight.  But I find the teacher exceptionally kind, and it seems like they have mastered the art of offering great tuition and a nice experience via zoom.  I don't feel he has 'missed out' by doing it on zoom, but like all classes I'm sure it will be best in the studio.  

Just now, Balletbuds80 said:

We submitted ours too. I hate the waiting. Once the deadline is up, I will be checking for views every day 😂

Just a little tip for anyone new to video auditions as I dont remember seeing it in the instructions this time. If you use YouTube, make sure your video is set to ‘unlisted’ otherwise it is viewable to anyone who searches for the key words that your video is titled e.g. Junior Associate. If you choose ‘unlisted’ only people who you give the link to can view. 
if I am wrong then please correct me as I am not very technical. You can change it in the settings. 

2 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Just a little tip for anyone new to video auditions as I dont remember seeing it in the instructions this time. If you use YouTube, make sure your video is set to ‘unlisted’ otherwise it is viewable to anyone who searches for the key words that your video is titled e.g. Junior Associate. If you choose ‘unlisted’ only people who you give the link to can view. 
if I am wrong then please correct me as I am not very technical. You can change it in the settings. 

That’s if you dont want people to see it........

27 minutes ago, Sandrasp said:
2 hours ago, Isabella said:

Does anybody know if films need to be of the whole thing or just the exercises. Do they want to see the children listening? I assume from previous posts they just skip to the bits they want to see anyway. 

We pressed record at the start of each part and left it rolling until the end.