Jump to content

RBS Junior Associate Auditions 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

@RachH & @BalletBoysDad congratulations on your dc getting into the ABT Summer Intensive👏 Fabulous news! My dd auditioned last weekend and we are still waiting to hear the outcome. Does the e-mail with the audition result come from the address they sent the initial correspondence from (Summerintensive@abt.org)? I want to ‘favourite’ it will pop up on my phone then I can stop obsessively email checking!🤦🏻‍♀️ lol 

My son did the audition on Sunday 7th Feb, and the results came on Friday 12th, from the email address summerintensive@abt.org 

 

The ABT programme seems to present good value for money considering its for 2 weeks, and quality of training seems really high.  My son got into the Joffrey in-person programme last July, whichwas obviously cancelled and went onto zoom.  Although he was disappointed not to go 'in person', I was amazed how fun and rewarding the virtual programme could be.  

 

Good luck to your DD!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

My son did the audition on Sunday 7th Feb, and the results came on Friday 12th, from the email address summerintensive@abt.org 

 

The ABT programme seems to present good value for money considering its for 2 weeks, and quality of training seems really high.  My son got into the Joffrey in-person programme last July, whichwas obviously cancelled and went onto zoom.  Although he was disappointed not to go 'in person', I was amazed how fun and rewarding the virtual programme could be.  

 

Good luck to your DD!


That’s brilliant, thank you so much. Hopefully we will hear in the next few days then. Yes I totally agree about value for money. I also like the fact that it’s guaranteed to go ahead on Zoom so when you accept a place, you know exactly what you’re signing up for and aren’t anxiously awaiting news of postponement/cancellation or a disappointing move to Zoom when that was planned all along!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:


That’s brilliant, thank you so much. Hopefully we will hear in the next few days then. Yes I totally agree about value for money. I also like the fact that it’s guaranteed to go ahead on Zoom so when you accept a place, you know exactly what you’re signing up for and aren’t anxiously awaiting news of postponement/cancellation or a disappointing move to Zoom when that was planned all along!

Do let us know how she gets on, wishing lots of luck! 

 

Going back to the topic of JAs, we applied to some USA programmes last year (after a SWL place for JAs that never materialised) purely because I wanted to remind my son that there's an entire planet/dance world out there, and not to get hung up purely on a handful of schools in the UK that he may or may not get into now or in the future.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RachH said:

@PurplePirouette - the email came from summerintensive@abt.org and it was exactly 1 week after the audition. So fingers crossed for good news this weekend for you!

@rachh I’m really sorry, I somehow managed to totally miss your reply until now🙈 Thanks so much. It’s funny how we were both waiting on RAD exam results and now we have both applied to ABT, I feel like our dd’s are following similar patterns!😀 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Do let us know how she gets on, wishing lots of luck! 

 

Going back to the topic of JAs, we applied to some USA programmes last year (after a SWL place for JAs that never materialised) purely because I wanted to remind my son that there's an entire planet/dance world out there, and not to get hung up purely on a handful of schools in the UK that he may or may not get into now or in the future.  

Can I ask where? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Isabella said:

Can I ask where? 

Last year (pre-covid) I applied for Junior summer programmes with Joffrey Ballet in Chicago and Ballet Austin, as at the time my son was 8 (turning 9 in July) and after quite a lot of research they seemed to be one of the few ‘bigger city’ companies that did a junior summer programme for younger dancers that was more than a couple of hours each day. Some of the major schools seemed to start from age 10 plus...

 

This year, my son is 9 and turns 10 in July, so that just scrapes the age threshold for ABT virtual summer programme.  I applied again to Joffrey, but it’s an in-person 2 or 3 week programme and the complications of travel make that seem a slim reality (if successful, as still awaiting their results).

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe I'm back here for a third year of JA audition turmoil! 🙈😭

DD trying AGAIN for yr6 this time. We really have zero hope so not taking it too seriously this time.

She did the virtual insight day today and I only just discovered that the video auditions have to be sent in with the application this year. It says not to watch the video or practice (which we absolutely didn't last time) but it is the exact same video as last year and my DD remembers it very clearly having watched her videos back many times and going over what she could improve on, so it may be hard for it not to look rehearsed! 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Can't believe I'm back here for a third year of JA audition turmoil! 🙈😭

DD trying AGAIN for yr6 this time. We really have zero hope so not taking it too seriously this time.

She did the virtual insight day today and I only just discovered that the video auditions have to be sent in with the application this year. It says not to watch the video or practice (which we absolutely didn't last time) but it is the exact same video as last year and my DD remembers it very clearly having watched her videos back many times and going over what she could improve on, so it may be hard for it not to look rehearsed! 😬

Hello again @Spamcat! I remember you from last year 😉 My DD is also trying again for JA this year, I'm not looking forward to the roller coaster ride again 😬 She was SWL last year, but we turned down the JEP classes. I just hope they don't hold that against her! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Has anyone done the audition yet? In the photo requirements, it is asking for a headshot (I think this is new from last year). I am just filling in the application but I cannot see anywhere which asks for the headshot? Have I missed it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. Has anyone done the audition yet? In the photo requirements, it is asking for a headshot (I think this is new from last year). I am just filling in the application but I cannot see anywhere which asks for the headshot? Have I missed it?


I have just emailed them to ask how we do this and will report back when I get a reply😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, In at the deep end said:

Hello again @Spamcat! I remember you from last year 😉 My DD is also trying again for JA this year, I'm not looking forward to the roller coaster ride again 😬 She was SWL last year, but we turned down the JEP classes. I just hope they don't hold that against her! 

Hello 👋 I remember you too! Good luck for this year. Which area are you applying to? I cant remember. We are Birmingham. My DD is an Elmhurst young dancer. Xx

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spamcat said:

Hello 👋 I remember you too! Good luck for this year. Which area are you applying to? I cant remember. We are Birmingham. My DD is an Elmhurst young dancer. Xx

Hi! Birmingham as well (even though we live near Bristol!) My daughter is also a YD in yr4. I think I remember your DD is yr5?? We're looking forward to being back in the studio! Good luck to you too 🍀Xx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, In at the deep end said:

Hi! Birmingham as well (even though we live near Bristol!) My daughter is also a YD in yr4. I think I remember your DD is yr5?? We're looking forward to being back in the studio! Good luck to you too 🍀Xx

Yes that is right she is yr5, end of August baby so youngest in her year! Xx

 

Does anyone know if they take many yr 6s or are they only filling places from yr 5s that drop out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD took part in the insight day again this week. We were told that places available for 2020 intake much lower than usual due to smaller class sizes, studio availability, social distancing etc. But they were hopeful that numbers might be back to normal by Sept 2021? I read that as more places being available this year than ever?! Perhaps a little optimistic of me 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Right from the beginning, that was my thought, that if Y4s rise to Y5, and Y5 rise to Y6, there would never in theory be new places. But they said they expand the groups each year to accommodate more. This year they expanded them by a far smaller number that they normally would.

 

I can only speak for the number of boys, but I believe there are only 3 Y5 boys in Birmingham right now, who will rise to Y6 in September. That will make space for some more Y4 and Y5 boys, and there should be even more as that number is low. 
 

I also believe someone once said Birmingham had 6 Y6 boys, so there’s space for at least 3 more boys if they were to go back towards older levels of student numbers, maybe even a couple more. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At my DD’s centre, new students have joined in y6 both this year and (I think) the year before - there have also been new y4 and y5 each year - so there are definitely potential spaces at all ages. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

@RachH & @BalletBoysDad we had our acceptance email last night,  my dd is so excited! It was definitely the boost she needed at the moment, and I 100% agree with you @BalletBoysDad that it’s great to show them there’s a whole world of ballet out there. She’s had a no from JAs the last two years so it was nice to have an audition success! 

Oh that’s wonderful news, congratulations! 4 hours a day (give or take breaks) over 2 weeks is 40 hours of ballet. That’s like a years programme in a fortnight haha. My DS really enjoyed doing one last year. It really motivated and prepared him for the auditions shortly after, and also allowed him to shake off the disappointments of the previous year. And dare I say, it was nice to be dancing amongst new faces. Really hope your DD enjoys and thrives with the experience.

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Oh that’s wonderful news, congratulations! 4 hours a day (give or take breaks) over 2 weeks is 40 hours of ballet. That’s like a years programme in a fortnight haha. My DS really enjoyed doing one last year. It really motivated and prepared him for the auditions shortly after, and also allowed him to shake off the disappointments of the previous year. And dare I say, it was nice to be dancing amongst new faces. Really hope your DD enjoys and thrives with the experience.

That’s a really good way of putting it, a whole programme in 2 weeks!! Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, hopefully it will be great timing to kickstart for the audition process from September. I hope your son has a wonderful experience too🤗

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RachH said:

@PurplePirouette - brilliant news! Well done to your DD! Which dates are you doing? We’ve gone for June... 

I think August, but lots of people from the UK seem to be going for June so I don’t really know what to do! I’m going to leave it a bit longer to submit the forms then have longer to decide! X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...