RBS Junior Associate Auditions 2021

Tdc34

On 10/02/2021 at 21:10, Pinkandwhite said:

Hello,

First timers here 👋

I am a little confused. Could someone advise me? It mentions filming the videos from beginning to end as if the children are doing a class. It also mentions that videos should be no more than 20 minutes. The 3 videos together are longer than 20 mins so which part do I edit out? Do I just cut out the parts where they teach the exercises? 

Also the W position. Does anyone know what this is supposed to show? I have never seen it before and am intrigued. 

I’m new to all this too and asked the same question about the 20 minutes video. I got a response saying that’s for the other auditions not the junior associates. Hope that helps. 
I also have a question for anyone who has does this in Manchester before. If my daughter was lucky enough to get in, what time were the sessions and is it once a week you attend?

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/02/2021 at 21:10, Pinkandwhite said:

Hello,

First timers here 👋

I am a little confused. Could someone advise me? It mentions filming the videos from beginning to end as if the children are doing a class. It also mentions that videos should be no more than 20 minutes. The 3 videos together are longer than 20 mins so which part do I edit out? Do I just cut out the parts where they teach the exercises? 

Also the W position. Does anyone know what this is supposed to show? I have never seen it before and am intrigued. 

I believe it shows turnout

The photos for JAs are, I am led to believe by a JA teacher, only used in discussion and if it is really close between two dancers. For this reason alone, it's worth getting them as good as possible but they are not selected purely on the basis of their photos, as they are for intensives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Manchester JA’s are Friday’s or Sunday’s - weekly! (The only Centre that does Fridays!) 
Year 6 group - mornings

Yr 4&5 group (mixed group) - afternoons

cant remember the times sorry 

Fabulous teacher tho if it’s still Miss Agar ❤️

Hi

no it’s during school times on a Friday!

when we were yr 4 & 5 we went to school for a couple of hours then went to Manchester (were north Wales!) 

Yr6 was an early start to get there for 9.15/9.30 and by time class had finished 2 hours 15 it was lunch time! By time we got back to wales wasn’t worth going into school so missed whole day! 🥺 school didnt like it, didn’t really get any support from them, but we thought it was worth it! 🥰

If Fridays are a problem you could consider Leeds or Birmingham, depending on where you are, which are both weekend classes. Sorry I don’t know which days they are but I’m sure someone else could help with that. Good luck with your application. We miss our JA days ❤️

Edited by Dancing unicorn

Leeds are on a Saturday. Pre Covid Year 4 and 5 were in the afternoon 12.15 to 2.30pm and year 6 9.30am - 11.45. Now though the classes are year 4 and 5 mix in the aft and year 5 and 6 in the morning (same times) so the year 5s have been split in half. This was to even out the children in the studios due to Covid. I don’t know if it will change from Sept and go back to how it was previously. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Completely new to the world of dance and auditioning etc we have put in our application today, we don't expect much as DS has only had a few studio lessons and all the rest on zoom. There is going to be a long wait so going to try and not think about it - easier said than done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Where is everyone auditioning for this year? We are Leeds Year 5. My DD auditioned last year but was I successful so thought we’d try again. 

Did any of your DC’s take the Online Insight class today? And how did you find it?
Ours is Thursday. 

I’m struggling with this at the moment. My DD did the insight day today and she loved it. It was fantastic and matched a lot of what they were looking for in the videos last year but with a different context e.g. improv. However we feel scarred from last year. We went for another associate centre to the one we’re thinking about this year and we found out after the audition that many many children were going for 5 places! We’re looking at different centre this year as we’ve moved but I feel beaten by the system. 

12 hours ago, Isabella said:

I’m struggling with this at the moment. My DD did the insight day today and she loved it. It was fantastic and matched a lot of what they were looking for in the videos last year but with a different context e.g. improv. However we feel scarred from last year. We went for another associate centre to the one we’re thinking about this year and we found out after the audition that many many children were going for 5 places! We’re looking at different centre this year as we’ve moved but I feel beaten by the system. 

Your post really resonated with me and I mulled over a million possible meaningful replies, and I couldn’t arrive at any. But I think you hit the nail on the head with feeling beaten by the system. And I’m quite sure many parents feel like that about many different activities, subjects and sports etc.

There’s no denying that each centre has a certain annual capacity, and social distancing restrictions unique to each of those centres mean that even when they are open, class sizes are vastly restricted, making it a much harder ‘system’ to get into. Although Birmingham is technically the 2nd largest centre, their Y5 intake was incredibly small. I don’t know what Y4 and Y6 was like. But even still, those Y4 and Y5 classes are now fortnightly rather than weekly, and half their usual running time. Only Y6 classes run weekly. So the children who are ‘in’ are still experiencing less of the programme than their past or potentially future peers. 

I think I’ve personally arrived at thinking the most important thing any young dancer can have right now is a tutor who champions them, inspires them and drives them on. And that most likely might be someone closer to home than someone who teaches on one of the ‘big name’ associate programmes. As lovely as some of these programmes are, and of course the quality of teaching is very high, there are also plenty of wonderful teachers who can teach the same or similar in a much more personal way. 

I’ve also arrived at thinking being taught and being mentored and inspired are two different things, and it’s mentorship and inspiration that will help children reclaim all this lost opportunity.

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling
  • Like 3

We are auditioning for a London place.
We have got our video and photos done over the last few days so I will submit our application in the next few days. 

Are they restricting the amount of children they take due to covid?  I wondered if anyone knew how many places are available for year 4 In London? I guess our second choice will be Eastleigh. 
Did they even take new JAs last year with covid? Sorry so many questions 🙈

11 minutes ago, Pinkandwhite said:

We are auditioning for a London place.
We have got our video and photos done over the last few days so I will submit our application in the next few days. 

Are they restricting the amount of children they take due to covid?  I wondered if anyone knew how many places are available for year 4 In London? I guess our second choice will be Eastleigh. 
Did they even take new JAs last year with covid? Sorry so many questions 🙈

They did take new JAs last year, but the general situation seemed to be fewer than normal, as class sizes need to be restricted to allow social distancing for however long social distancing might be required when the studios are allowed to be open (Its all naturally on zoom right now).  So there are places, apparently in all year groups.  I do know a boy who was given a Y4 place in London, as he dances with my DS on another programme. But there were definitely fewer places given out than 'normal' years.  In the past, if you didn't get a 'yes' you might get a SWL (short waiting list) in case anyone didn't take their place.  This year, SWL places were given a place on a Junior Engagement Programme, presumably to keep a larger number of student close to the JA programme, given that relatively few new places were available.

3 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

They did take new JAs last year, but the general situation seemed to be fewer than normal, as class sizes need to be restricted to allow social distancing for however long social distancing might be required when the studios are allowed to be open (Its all naturally on zoom right now).  So there are places, apparently in all year groups.  I do know a boy who was given a Y4 place in London, as he dances with my DS on another programme. But there were definitely fewer places given out than 'normal' years.  In the past, if you didn't get a 'yes' you might get a SWL (short waiting list) in case anyone didn't take their place.  This year, SWL places were given a place on a Junior Engagement Programme, presumably to keep a larger number of student close to the JA programme, given that relatively few new places were available.

They did take JAs last year but not many at all. I was told by my dd JA teacher that they took a third of what they normally take! Hence why I think they did the engagement programme to probably give opportunity to more dancers. 

5 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

They did take JAs last year but not many at all. I was told by my dd JA teacher that they took a third of what they normally take! Hence why I think they did the engagement programme to probably give opportunity to more dancers. 

The new Birmingham Y5 group is my DS and (I think) 5 girls.  I don't know how fewer that is than previous years, but the teacher did say it was much smaller than usual.  The engagement programme appears to be the same frequency of classes and almost the same running time, so I agree it still gives greater opportunity, even if the numbers appear small.

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Your post really resonated with me and I mulled over a million possible meaningful replies, and I couldn’t arrive at any. But I think you hit the nail on the head with feeling beaten by the system. And I’m quite sure many parents feel like that about many different activities, subjects and sports etc.

There’s no denying that each centre has a certain annual capacity, and social distancing restrictions unique to each of those centres mean that even when they are open, class sizes are vastly restricted, making it a much harder ‘system’ to get into. Although Birmingham is technically the 2nd largest centre, their Y5 intake was incredibly small. I don’t know what Y4 and Y6 was like. But even still, those Y4 and Y5 classes are now fortnightly rather than weekly, and half their usual running time. Only Y6 classes run weekly. So the children who are ‘in’ are still experiencing less of the programme than their past or potentially future peers. 

I think I’ve personally arrived at thinking the most important thing any young dancer can have right now is a tutor who champions them, inspires them and drives them on. And that most likely might be someone closer to home than someone who teaches on one of the ‘big name’ associate programmes. As lovely as some of these programmes are, and of course the quality of teaching is very high, there are also plenty of wonderful teachers who can teach the same or similar in a much more personal way. 

I’ve also arrived at thinking being taught and being mentored and inspired are two different things, and it’s mentorship and inspiration that will help children reclaim all this lost opportunity.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response. I think you’re absolutely right and it’s given me some food for thought. Thanks again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Isabella said:

Hi. I completely get where you are coming from following last year. I really hoped it would be an in class audition this year but I guess that’s out of their hands as is the number of places available.  We didn’t get a flat no (I am not sure if there were emails as a flat no). But they said that my DD worked well in the class and would be interested in seeing her again this year after another year with her teacher (it’s only been 6 months). However, we didn’t even get SWL so I am concerned that the places which are available, are going yo be earmarked for those on the JEP?

1 minute ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. I completely get where you are coming from following last year. I really hoped it would be an in class audition this year but I guess that’s out of their hands as is the number of places available.  We didn’t get a flat no (I am not sure if there were emails as a flat no). But they said that my DD worked well in the class and would be interested in seeing her again this year after another year with her teacher (it’s only been 6 months). However, we didn’t even get SWL so I am concerned that the places which are available, are going yo be earmarked for those on the JEP?

We are in exactly the same position. My DD also got that response. I’m not sure whether they put that to all. 

Just now, Isabella said:

We are in exactly the same position. My DD also got that response. I’m not sure whether they put that to all. 

Possibly but it gives us a glimmer of hope and encourages us to re-audition! Usually children who audition are put forward by their teachers from their dance school as they know what they are looking for so we have to believe that there is a chance in there somewhere. 

15 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Possibly but it gives us a glimmer of hope and encourages us to re-audition! Usually children who audition are put forward by their teachers from their dance school as they know what they are looking for so we have to believe that there is a chance in there somewhere. 

These threads are full of people's experiences who got SWL one year, then a 'no' the next. And a 'no' one year, followed by a 'yes' the next, and every eventuality in between.  Where there is courage to apply or reapply, there must definitely be a chance in there somewhere, as you say :)  Although the JEP is new, and its clearly a good thing for those who got offered that,  I am sure people will see a very mixed set of results, like always if children are assessed on the audition alone.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

These threads are full of people's experiences who got SWL one year, then a 'no' the next. And a 'no' one year, followed by a 'yes' the next, and every eventuality in between.  Where there is courage to apply or reapply, there must definitely be a chance in there somewhere, as you say :)  Although the JEP is new, and its clearly a good thing for those who got offered that,  I am sure people will see a very mixed set of results, like always if children are assessed on the audition alone.  

Do you know if the JEP children need to re- audition like everyone else?