World Ballet Day 2020

1 hour ago, Millicent said:

I really enjoyed watching RBS company class. Does anyone know who the lady is who wore the long-sleeved green leotard with a lighter green skirt? They're all amazing dancers but she caught my eye time and time again. I would love to know who she is. 

Maddison Pritchard

Thank you so much, we it was Yasmine Naghdi that I meant. Am off to Google her 🙂

I agree that the panning out of the camera was frustrating at times, I would just say to my DD, look at that...And then it would pan out and you couldn't see much. 

Very much enjoyed it anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Other than the RB class and the Tchaikovsky pdd rehearsal, I didn’t bother following WBD live. I mean - how many company classes can a human being observe in a day? Bo-ring!!!

Later, I searched “World Ballet Day 2020” on YouTube and most of the major and minor segments are up. Among the very few that gave us substantial portions of filmed staged ballets in costumes/sets were Hong Kong Ballet (A1 of Ananiashvili’s Don Q), National Ballet of Japan (Also DQ) and Stattsballett Berlin (Pas de Quatre and substantial parts of Corsaire). 

Almost all of what’s on YouTube for WBD is in the form of a company class. 😴 💤 

I'll agree that there did seem to be rather a lot of company class this year - I wonder if companies which didn't show much else either were limited in what they could do in a studio and/or didn't want to lose even more of the available space to film cameras (I noticed that even in the large Clore studio, which I assume was where the RB rehearsals were being filmed, the cameras were a physically inhibiting presence)?  I enjoyed watching the Staatsballett Pas de Quatre/Corsaire, but "filmed staged ballets in costumes/sets" isn't really what WBD is about: it's supposed to be a look behind the scenes rather than streaming performances.  Were any of those segments intended as a taster for (paid?) streamings later?

I did enjoy Ernst Meisner's class for DNB, though - quite fancied having a go at it myself, in a limited fashion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alison said:

I'll agree that there did seem to be rather a lot of company class this year - I wonder if companies which didn't show much else either were limited in what they could do in a studio and/or didn't want to lose even more of the available space to film cameras (I noticed that even in the large Clore studio, which I assume was where the RB rehearsals were being filmed, the cameras were a physically inhibiting presence)?  I enjoyed watching the Staatsballett Pas de Quatre/Corsaire, but "filmed staged ballets in costumes/sets" isn't really what WBD is about: it's supposed to be a look behind the scenes rather than streaming performances.  Were any of those segments intended as a taster for (paid?) streamings later?

I did enjoy Ernst Meisner's class for DNB, though - quite fancied having a go at it myself, in a limited fashion.

Personally I love watching company class because I learn so much from seeing the exercises done properly and hearing the corrections that the dancers receive.  As a very bad amateur dancer it's one of my favourite parts of the day so I will probably watch most of the ones I've not yet seen.  

I also really enjoyed the RB programme which I thought gave some great insights into the works and their planning.  

• Like 4

I've just done the BRB class using the mat and area in my house that I gave my Zoom classes from in the summer.  It was fast but doable except where I run out of space.   Ernst Meisner gave wonderful barres and some centre online over the summer, worth doing a search.  I shall watch him next! 

Still no word of either of the upcoming performances being filmed, alas. I'd LOVE to see a filmed performance of the Tchaikovsky pas de deux if nothing else; whether Marianella/Vadim or Marcellino/Anna Rose. That was definitely one of the WBD highlights for me. I enjoyed the Company class but did it last longer than normal? I thought it was usually and hour whereas this time it was 90 minutes. Much as I enjoy Company class I think I would have preferred more rehearsals but I suppose you have to go with whatever they're doing. I too thought there were too many distant shots of the auditorium and I wished the dancers had something with their names on (or Brian refer to them by name more) so I didn't spend quite so much time trying to figure out who was who.

Another highlight was Valentino's choreography. What an amazing piece and what talent he has. I must confess to much preferring his choreography to that of either Christopher Wheeldon or Wayne Macgregor. I thought his previous pas de deux The Sun is God was one of the best pas de deux I've seen and was rather disappointed it wasn't done for the Oct concert. It would have been great to highlight such home grown talent but I'm glad we're seeing his work now. I keep hoping that when finances permit he will be appointed resident choreographer as there is a current vacancy. That would be a great way of harnessing his undoubted talent and keeping him in the Company.

It was also great to see Fernando Montano too and doing Dance of the Blessed Spirits. Wonderful to see him again and given a solo role which his talents deserve.

All in all a great four hours and haven't even got round to seeing any of the other offerings yet. I never thought we'd get to see WBD this year and it's been a great treat and much needed antidote to the medical doom and gloom.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2020 at 19:52, Sim said:

Wow...such a contrast between how the Russians and the Japanese are coached!  

Really enjoying Tokyo Ballet rehearsing DonQ, and so pleased to see the company dancing together as a unit, instead of separated by bubbles.  

It is not Tokyo Ballet but the National Ballet of Japan, currently lead by former RB principal Miyako Yoshida. Tokyo Ballet is a private company but has a longer history so maybe more well known in Europe. 

• Like 1

I enjoy the annual full RB class (full class for most companies is around 1.5 hours, in answer to an earlier question), and I loved that it was on stage and spaced out ... so we could actually see individual dancers.   

I also made the mistake of getting sucked into the YouTube chat ... many of whom seemed to be looking for Akane, Fumi, Yuhui, Mayara as well as Natalia and Matthew Ball.   None of whom were in the class 🙄.  However, someone was helpful to me in identifying Bomin Kim and Sae Maeda, who I’m not yet familiar enough especially with masks on.  Thank you.

Many lovely dancers to watch.  Daichi Ikarashi was superb.  

I enjoyed Valentino’s new piece and especially for highlighting younger dancers, including both the Sasaki ladies!  I did assume it was commissioned for the November performances.   

Great to see Fernando Montano in the solo rehearsal ... he has beautiful

lines and adagio movements.  I’ve mostly seen him in virtuoso groups of male dancers at ROH.  

It occurs to me that pulling together the WBD and November programmes seems to have required more lateral thinking and as a consequence we are getting a new perspective.  

I hope RB will keep to the ‘class on stage’ for future WBD ... another plus for me was the more simple filming.  I really do not like all that panning and zooming about in the Clore studio in the past.

I also really enjoyed the Bolshoi dancers Vladislav Lantratov and Ana Turazashvili, presenting their session and their interviews ... much improved on prior years.  And this time they were upfront about class and rehearsals being recorded.  Which is fine, particularly this year.  Wasn’t the director rehearsing Swan Lake shocking?    

The highlight of the Bolshoi session for me was the Onegin rehearsal with Olga Smirnova and the divine Russian Skvortsov.  (At 2.45.00 if you want to scroll to it!)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, company classes are a big part of WBD every year...which is why I hardly ever watch. However, as the RB is a special favorite, I made a point of watching live.

i also agree that fully-staged performances are not the focus of WBD. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Berlin, Tokyo & Hong Kong’s offerings, which I discovered when searching on YouTube. Are there other staged ballets or excerpts?, I wonder.

It was strange watching WBD this year for all the obvious reasons. And although it was all rather subdued I was happy and grateful that this fantastic shared celebration of ballet was held. This year The Mariinsky  got my vote for the best class, Yuri Fateev is a great teacher. I found the RBs class a bit boring - I'd love to see Fateev take their class. I also loved watching the Nikiya rehearsal.  Anyway hopefully we will be in a more positive situation next year that will be reflected in WBD.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sharon said:

. This year The Mariinsky  got my vote for the best class, Yuri Fateev is a great teacher. I found the RBs class a bit boring - I'd love to see Fateev take their class. 

Yuri Fateev did use to be a guest teacher with the RB. That is how Xander Parish came to join the Mariinsky.

When RB classes have been open to the public in the past, they have been 1hr 15mins. ENB classes are 1hr 30mins. So, obviously, the length varies between companies.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Jeannette there was just too much "class" for me.  I much prefer interviews and seeing actual pieces of rep danced.  However in fairness they were probably limited this year as to what they could do.  I will go back and watch some of the Bolshoi interviews - Anna Turashvilli really is a great English speaker and is always lovely at stage door so it was great to see her.  I will also look for the DonQ from HK and Japan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Have to agree with Jeannette there was just too much "class" for me.  I much prefer interviews and seeing actual pieces of rep danced.  However in fairness they were probably limited this year as to what they could do.  I will go back and watch some of the Bolshoi interviews - Anna Turashvilli really is a great English speaker and is always lovely at stage door so it was great to see her.  I will also look for the DonQ from HK and Japan.

here is the National Ballet of Japan section, with Don Quixote rehearsal (Act 3 is a run-through, coached by Miyako Yoshida. don't miss Yui Yonezawa's superb fouettes) and some experts from their new ballet Ryuguu the Turtle Princess. Available till November 2nd morning.

They have successfully finished 6 performances of Don Quixote and tomorrow is the last performance. Tonight's performance will be streamed later but you have to pay for it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capybara said:

Yuri Fateev did use to be a guest teacher with the RB. That is how Xander Parish came to join the Mariinsky.

When RB classes have been open to the public in the past, they have been 1hr 15mins. ENB classes are 1hr 30mins. So, obviously, the length varies between companies.

Traditionally the usual length of professional ballet classes is 90 minutes. However this can change depending on reheasal and other commitments.  In previous years there were various dancers who left the RB class before the end.

6 hours ago, capybara said:

Of course he did, how did I forget that?! I🙄🙄🙄

Here is the link to Staatsballett Berlin's contribution to World Ballet Day:

1. Pas de Quatre by Anton Dolin (staged by M. Kaniskin)

Portraying famous ballerinas of the past

Evelina Godunova as Lucile Grain

Aya Okumura as Carlotta Trish

Sarah Hees-Hochster as Fanny Cerrito

Yolanda Correa as Marie Taglioni

2. Grand Pas de Deux from "Le Corsaire"

Iana Salenko, Daniil Simkin

• Like 2

On 30/10/2020 at 09:06, Millicent said:

I really enjoyed watching RBS company class. Does anyone know who the lady is who wore the long-sleeved green leotard with a lighter green skirt? They're all amazing dancers but she caught my eye time and time again. I would love to know who she is. 

Yasmine Nagdhi - always wonderful 

On 30/10/2020 at 23:04, FionaE said:

also really enjoyed the Bolshoi dancers Vladislav Lantratov and Ana Turazashvili, presenting their session and their interviews ... much improved on prior years.  And this time they were upfront about class and rehearsals being recorded.  Which is fine, particularly this year.  Wasn’t the director rehearsing Swan Lake shocking?  

I missed this and am intrigued! Was the director harsh?

I was, perhaps naively, surprised at how humble Nunez was when being coached in the RB pas de deux. There seemed to be a fair amount of self-doubt and humility in her approach. Somehow not what I would expect of one so famous and revered. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, balletyas said:

Yasmine Nagdhi - always wonderful 

Yes she just seemed to have some sort of magic to her when she danced that drew my eye to her every time. Interesting to have discovered that she started as an RBS JA then went to WL then straight into the company. Surprisingly, there don't seem to be many that manage such a direct route. 

On 31/10/2020 at 14:29, Naomi M said:

here is the National Ballet of Japan section, with Don Quixote rehearsal (Act 3 is a run-through, coached by Miyako Yoshida. don't miss Yui Yonezawa's superb fouettes) and some experts from their new ballet Ryuguu the Turtle Princess. Available till November 2nd morning.

They have successfully finished 6 performances of Don Quixote and tomorrow is the last performance. Tonight's performance will be streamed later but you have to pay for it. 

Many thanks Naomi!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...