World Ballet Day 2020

Wow...such a contrast between how the Russians and the Japanese are coached!  

Really enjoying Tokyo Ballet rehearsing DonQ, and so pleased to see the company dancing together as a unit, instead of separated by bubbles.  

I'm guessing that's him under that mask - certainly the black curly hair is right.  If you saw the Don Quixote performance which was beamed to cinemas last year, he had a little cameo in the first act as the guitarist, which had everyone asking who he was.  I think he may have been injured since then, but I'm sure someone else will confirm.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Candleque said:

So fun to watch the company class. Especially to get better acquainted with the corps. A dancer I didn't recognise really stood out for me. Think the teacher called him Stanislaw, so I'm guessing Stanislaw Wegrzyn. Some experts here might know? 

dancer.png

I noticed him as well, he was moving beautifully.  

• Like 2

I enjoyed seeing Leticia Dias leading the girls in Zuchetti's new piece. She'd last season caught my eye with solos in Raymonda & Sleeping Beauty. I see she's been at Artist level for 4 years so maybe a future candidate for promotion, once promotions are happening again?

• Like 3

Thought the new Zucchetti commission was first class. Glorious music, great choreography and a real lift to the spirits to see opportunities giving to the younger generation who all looked fighting fit too. Beautiful work from Fernando Montaño on the Ashton too, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke on the Marston. Will have to go back and find the Balanchine...

Does anybody know if the Zucchetti will be performed in either of the upcoming programmes, if we don’t end up going into lockdown? Hadn’t realised both programmes were on sale so have ended up with tickets for the Elite Syncopations one (not a work I enjoy but important to be supportive) and now trying to justify purchasing the Within the Golden Hour one as well.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Candleque said:

So fun to watch the company class. Especially to get better acquainted with the corps. A dancer I didn't recognise really stood out for me. Think the teacher called him Stanislaw, so I'm guessing Stanislaw Wegrzyn. Some experts here might know? 

dancer.png

You are absolutely right - that is Stanislaw! His turns were really something!! I'm super impressed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Thought the new Zucchetti commission was first class. Glorious music, great choreography and a real lift to the spirits to see opportunities giving to the younger generation who all looked fighting fit too. Beautiful work from Fernando Montaño on the Ashton too, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke on the Marston. Will have to go back and find the Balanchine...

~ 1hr 36 min 

10 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Does anybody know if the Zucchetti will be performed in either of the upcoming programmes, if we don’t end up going into lockdown?

Presumably so, since Kevin O'Hare said the reason he'd commissioned it was because he wanted to get everyone back on stage.  But I don't know whether it will be in one, or both.  There was some indication that the timescale was very short.

27 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Does anybody know if the Zucchetti will be performed in either of the upcoming programmes, if we don’t end up going into lockdown? Hadn’t realised both programmes were on sale so have ended up with tickets for the Elite Syncopations one (not a work I enjoy but important to be supportive) and now trying to justify purchasing the Within the Golden Hour one as well.

Does anyone know when the full programmes and casting are being announced?  This is getting silly now....

Wasn’t the Zuchetti piece as much about getting everyone on for WBD as anything else?

But maybe it’s the reason why the announcement of the programmes has been delayed.

I thought that the whole of the RB segment was terrific and seemingly better prepared than in some previous years. The prominence given to some more junior dancers was great.

I couldn’t get rid of the viewers’ comments on my screen and found many of them mind-boggling - rude, unduly personal etc - but perhaps an eye-opener as to the range of thoughts in people’s minds when they watch ballet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

I couldn’t get rid of the viewers’ comments on my screen and found many of them mind-boggling - rude, unduly personal etc - but perhaps an eye-opener as to the range of thoughts in people’s minds when they watch ballet.

I was watching on YouTube and found that, if I put it into full screen mode, I couldn't see the chat bar (thankfully).

I only saw class (bits of it anyway, whilst having Ballet Black's class on another screen and trying to work...), the Tchaik pd2 rehearsal and the Zucchetti piece rehearsal.  Was very happy to see this new piece in its creation - an excellent choice of music and great choreography and casting - and what a joy to see the gentlement jumping together!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

Perhaps something for the ROH to examine and deal with in their attempts to reach a wider audience, if they are indeed representative of the thoughts of people who aren't familiar with it?  I managed to hide them successfully - there was a speech bubble with a line through it, I think, in the Facebook taskbar.

Wasn’t the Zuchetti piece as much about getting everyone on for WBD as anything else?

I didn't think so: thought Kevin was more concerned that everyone should have something to do in the next couple of bills.

Wish I could have seen it live but today was one of my two days at work this week....very pleased to see I've got 4 hours of RB to watch tonight though, the Coppelia blu ray will have to wait until tomorrow 🙂

I was watching the small snippets that I could on YouTube...but not live, so there was the option to hide the chat from earlier.  I hope that whoever was rude was put in their place.  Luckily for them I wasn't watching!!

I think I will have to sit and catch up on the RB over the weekend.  Dang work....but these days I am glad to have it.

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I was watching on YouTube and found that, if I put it into full screen mode, I couldn't see the chat bar (thankfully).

I only saw class (bits of it anyway, whilst having Ballet Black's class on another screen and trying to work...), the Tchaik pd2 rehearsal and the Zucchetti piece rehearsal.  Was very happy to see this new piece in its creation - an excellent choice of music and great choreography and casting - and what a joy to see the gentlement jumping together!

Oh, I enjoyed the BB class too!

1 hour ago, Sim said:  I hope that whoever was rude was put in their place.  Luckily for them I wasn't watching!!

The comments were coming so thick and fast that it was impossible to berate anyone without appearing to criticise the poster immediately above. 

I did try to say that Osipova wasn’t in the Class because it was pre-recorded and she was guesting in Russia at the time. I just didn’t ‘get’ why some people didn’t appear to be interested in anyone else and, instead, went on and on about her. Some of my favourites weren’t in the Class either but it was a super opportunity to watch and appreciate other dancers.

• Like 4

Stanislaw was recovering from injury when Don Q was on, so he was given the non-dancing cameo playing the guitar. He appeared in every performance in the run.

Since then he has appeared dancing in the corps in much of the pre-Covid rep last season. If anyone doubts his talent watch his solo when he won the Prix de Lausanne in 2017.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The comments were coming so thick and fast that it was impossible to berate anyone without appearing to criticise the poster immediately above. 

I did try to say that Osipova wasn’t in the Class because it was pre-recorded and she was guesting in Russia at the time. I just didn’t ‘get’ why some people didn’t appear to be interested in anyone else and, instead, went on and on about her. Some of my favourites weren’t in the Class either but it was a super opportunity to watch and appreciate other dancers.

Anyone who knows about ballet knows that morning class is about the company, not the individual.  

I have to confess I watched a bit of it at work today (it was my lunch 'hour' in my defence), and as always it is absolutely fascinating. I shall watch more over the weekend as the weather is supposed to be horrid. 

I have just been watching the rehearsal from Within the Golden Hour with David Donnelly and Teo Tubreuil - just how dances keep directions etc in their heads continues to amaze. I am afraid with me, it would be in one ear and out the other! 

• Like 3

Other than the RB class and the Tchaikovsky pdd rehearsal, I didn’t bother following WBD live. I mean - how many company classes can a human being observe in a day? Bo-ring!!!

Later, I searched “World Ballet Day 2020” on YouTube and most of the major and minor segments are up. Among the very few that gave us substantial portions of filmed staged ballets in costumes/sets were Hong Kong Ballet (A1 of Ananiashvili’s Don Q), National Ballet of Japan (Also DQ) and Stattsballett Berlin (Pas de Quatre and substantial parts of Corsaire). 

Almost all of what’s on YouTube for WBD is in the form of a company class. 😴 💤 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed watching RBS company class. Does anyone know who the lady is who wore the long-sleeved green leotard with a lighter green skirt? They're all amazing dancers but she caught my eye time and time again. I would love to know who she is. 

Edited by Millicent
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Millicent said:

I really enjoyed watching RBS company class. Does anyone know who the lady is who wore the long-sleeved green leotard with a lighter green skirt? They're all amazing dancers but she caught my eye time and time again. I would love to know who she is. 

The colours on my computer monitor aren't always true to life but I just had a quick look and the only dancer I can see with what might be a long-sleeved green leotard is Yasmine Naghdi.  On my monitor, however, her skirt looks blue rather than green.