RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I thought that too. My DS’s Y5 pictures were a lot better than Y4, but surely the audition team will appreciate how much time has since passed. Maybe (he says, knowing he will never know the answer) clear improvement between photos from then and video from now is a good indication of progress.... 

Yes and I remember at the insight day they said if you don't get in try again next year and 'we will remember you', so I hope this is still the case if the audition at a different centre.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Yes and I remember at the insight day they said if you don't get in try again next year and 'we will remember you', so I hope this is still the case if the audition at a different centre.

The only way someone will remember my DS is if the London team are looking at the Birmingham videos 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, The red shoes said:

Maybe the first video is for screening purposes. If the candidate is suitable then they get sifted off to the next round to have all their videos viewed? Just my thoughts ... 

Reckon this is spot on. My DD did an AWFUL first video (didn't stretch feet, when asked to open into middle splits didn't even try to go to full range etc. 🙈) so think they've watched that then quickly watched the other 2 to discount her straight  away. I imagine those who have only the first video viewed will have gone on to a second stage. 

12 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Reckon this is spot on. My DD did an AWFUL first video (didn't stretch feet, when asked to open into middle splits didn't even try to go to full range etc. 🙈) so think they've watched that then quickly watched the other 2 to discount her straight  away. I imagine those who have only the first video viewed will have gone on to a second stage. 

Or consequently could be the other way around. .... we will drive ourselves mad trying to work it out 🤪

6 minutes ago, Twinkletoes22 said:

Just out of curiosity, what other ballet related activities does everyone else do, as well as the weekly ballet classes? 

My DD does a couple of associates (Elmhurst and Tring) which goes someway to offset the not so great ballet offering at her local school.

7 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Or consequently could be the other way around. .... we will drive ourselves mad trying to work it out 🤪

Honestly it isn't! I know when DD has done well but I wanted to scream at her in several points in the audition 😂 She really didn't show herself in the best light 🙈

10 minutes ago, Twinkletoes22 said:

Just out of curiosity, what other ballet related activities does everyone else do, as well as the weekly ballet classes? 

My dd goes to Elmhurst, attends another associate class and just dances everywhere she goes! Also festivals but they’re all online at the moment. She also attended Midland Theatre Ballet. 

My friend has a yr5 DS and yr4 DD. DD only first video viewed. DS has viewing on 1st and 3rd. Her DS is really good and perfect physique so not sure what this means.

We will drive ourselves mad over the next few weeks! 😂

1 minute ago, Spamcat said:

My friend has a yr5 DS and yr4 DD. DD only first video viewed. DS has viewing on 1st and 3rd. Her DS is really good and perfect physique so not sure what this means.

We will drive ourselves mad over the next few weeks! 😂

Well going by that all those who’ve just had 1st video viewed are being discounted then 😞

Just now, The red shoes said:

Well going by that all those who’ve just had 1st video viewed are being discounted then 😞

Who knows? I remember reading on here someone who's videos were viewed several times all through and got a no. I'm sure in some cases they decide yes or no very quickly, and equally sometimes they will watch thoroughly and come to a yes or no, so I don't really think video views mean anything.

Will be interesting to compare on results day!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BellaF said:

I don't remember my daughter having to do middle splits.  Maybe some of the auditions varied? 

It was an unusual way to audition for them and they have all had a break during lockdown from normal classes.

I'm proud of my daughter but not sure I would do it again  

9 minutes ago, Ballerinamum said:

She's year 5 and first time she auditioned.  I have been told year 6 places are very rare.  If it's f2f I will but don't think we would do video auditions again X 

I would think that’s really positive to get SWL this year, though always bittersweet if a place doesn’t become available (we had that experience last year). There appear to be almost no Y5 ‘yeses’ this year due to limitations on class sizes that would normally expand to accommodate more Y5. It might be fair to assume that some of this year’s SWL places might have been yes in a ‘normal year’. 

I haven't heard of any year 5's.  If they had no year 5 places surely they would have just given a refund?  I guess it was an experience.  Not one I had hoped for for my DD.  Given the cost it's a shame but that's life :)

Edited by Ballerinamum

I doubt they’d explicitly say there were no year 5 places because then they’d have to explain why. I think there’s been a mention of someone knowing someone whose year 5 was offered a place but it does look a bit like they’re prioritising the year 4s. I think we’re similar in that if it was face to face we’d give it another go next year, but for £65 I don’t think we’d pay to do another video submission. Plus we’re now more aware of the other associate programmes so she wants to try for those. 

2 minutes ago, MamaFrosty said:

I doubt they’d explicitly say there were no year 5 places because then they’d have to explain why. I think there’s been a mention of someone knowing someone whose year 5 was offered a place but it does look a bit like they’re prioritising the year 4s. I think we’re similar in that if it was face to face we’d give it another go next year, but for £65 I don’t think we’d pay to do another video submission. Plus we’re now more aware of the other associate programmes so she wants to try for those. 

Yes, taking audition fees for places that don't actually exist would be highly controversial I am sure.  My DS got SWL for Y4 last year, and was told not to worry, it was a 'good result' and they take fewer Y4 children to offer more spaces to Y5. Now, it seems to be the complete opposite; giving more space to Y4 and pretty much ignoring Y5 applicants. 

I know every parent/guardian/teacher of every applicant doesn't participate in this forum, and we can only form opinions on what we do actually hear,  but it seems a very disappointing year for Y5s in general.

As you mention though, there are many other high quality associate programmes. I noted that Tring CBA have opened registration for their next round of auditions in March.  That's a brilliant programme in a stunning and inspiring environment.  This isn't the be all and end all.

• Like 1

Its so frustrating that they are not giving many (if any) places to year 5s because my DDs birthday is right at the end of August so if she'd been born a couple of days later she would be a year 4. I feel like this always gives her a disadvantage.

4 hours ago, Ballerinamum said:

I don't remember my daughter having to do middle splits.  Maybe some of the auditions varied? 

It was an unusual way to audition for them and they have all had a break during lockdown from normal classes.

I'm proud of my daughter but not sure I would do it again  

Sorry I think my description was confusing! I was referring to the bit in the first video where they were asked to open their legs out to the side - my DD barely gave it any effort 🙄😂

Well done to all Group 3s - risk of repeating myself but seems harder than ever this year!

26 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

May I ask, we’re all her videos viewed do you know? And how much was viewed?

All watched but I couldn’t tell you by how much. She’s SWL so she still probably won’t get in judging by info on old forums posts x

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Its so frustrating that they are not giving many (if any) places to year 5s because my DDs birthday is right at the end of August so if she'd been born a couple of days later she would be a year 4. I feel like this always gives her a disadvantage.

My DS is an August birthday.  More than once, I said desparaingly that I wished he was that few days younger.  His response was that it made him a fighter and that he wouldn't be the same person if he'd been born in September.  And you didn't necessarily know which genius was in the year below!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balletbow said:

All watched but I couldn’t tell you by how much. She’s SWL so she still probably won’t get in judging by info on old forums posts x

But still a chance! SWL is a huge achievement - well done to your DD.