RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

My DS is an August birthday.  More than once, I said desparaingly that I wished he was that few days younger.  His response was that it made him a fighter and that he wouldn't be the same person if he'd been born in September.  And you didn't necessarily know which genius was in the year below!

That's lovely, and very true! My DD has always loved being the youngest actually and she does have this sort if attitude too. It's only me that's moaning! 😂

I know two Y5s on SWL this year who were both a no last year. And three Y4s on SWL this year. All dancers that consistently (boringly so!) win at festivals and get very high marks in exams. 

It seems that it is even harder than normal to get in this year. As I've said before, I'm looking forward to RBS publishing their figures to see if there really were fewer places this year, or if perhaps we just don't have proportionate representation on this forum 🙂

38 minutes ago, Millicent said:

I know two Y5s on SWL this year who were both a no last year. And three Y4s on SWL this year. All dancers that consistently (boringly so!) win at festivals and get very high marks in exams. 

It seems that it is even harder than normal to get in this year. As I've said before, I'm looking forward to RBS publishing their figures to see if there really were fewer places this year, or if perhaps we just don't have proportionate representation on this forum 🙂

I’m quite sure I’ve got a ‘big red X’ next to my name at the RBS for being annoying/too blunt, but I did email and ask the auditions team are we technically auditioning for places that don’t actually exist? I think it’s a perfectly legitimate question. We’re living in times when £50 isn’t insignificant, and an ‘experience’ in your living room is very different to one at an actual ballet school. 

They did say there ARE spaces in all year groups, but acknowledged that there are fewer. I dont know if people will ever truly know how slim the odds were. I believe that the RBS are a charity and not obliged to divulge all numbers.

I do hope that there are genuinely spaces, but I can’t help shake off the feeling that I’ve purchased my DS a ticket for a flight the airline know is already cancelled. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Grammar
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Candycakes82 said:

I could do with some of your optimism ... no views here yet so am concerned there was a pre-selection from photos which, in our case, would be sad as my DD has changed so much since they were taken 9 months ago! 😬

@Candycakes82 have your videos been viewed at all yet? Mine still haven't so I'm starting to worry something has gone wrong and they haven't received them? 🤔

4 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

They did say there ARE spaces in all year groups, but acknowledged that there are fewer. I dont know if people will ever truly know how slim the odds were. I believe that the RBS are a charity and not obliged to divulge all numbers.

Well done for asking a difficult question! I have to say I'm surprised that they actually acknowledged that there are fewer places than usual this year. Or did you mean that there are fewer spaces in Y5? 

If it gives you any comfort I really doubt that any email you send will reflect on your DS. They won't have that in mind when they view the videos. 

On a positive note, I hope that today's news about the Oxford vaccine might mean that we can get back to "normal" within the next 12 months and have in person auditions. 

My DD did two JA insight days and loved them so much. I really hope that they might be able to run them again in the near future. It made up for not having an in-person audition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

I have absolutely no inside info and so this probably won't help but my DC is a Y5 JA at Eastleigh - the class is currently small. If they only brought in Y4 then there would be a lot of them!

I’ve heard that it’s a small class - I’ve told her not to get her hopes up for getting in! 

1 minute ago, Balletbow said:

I’ve heard that it’s a small class - I’ve told her not to get her hopes up for getting in! 

If they are filling spaces left by the Y6 moving up then there are 9 spaces. I asked my DC if anything has been said about others joining them and he says nothing at all has been mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Millicent said:

Wow that is small! So a normal class is around 15 then. That sounds about right. 

I've just received dates for my DD to start in London in Jan. Will let you all know how many are in the class when we get there! 

I've not been to any other JA centre so don't know if that is a typical number or if it is just the size that the Eastleigh studio can do

5 hours ago, In at the deep end said:

@Candycakes82 have your videos been viewed at all yet? Mine still haven't so I'm starting to worry something has gone wrong and they haven't received them? 🤔

Ours are now showing views on all 3 videos (I think it can take 24 hours to show a view) but I haven’t looked to see how long they have been viewed for 🙈

1 hour ago, Millicent said:

Well done for asking a difficult question! I have to say I'm surprised that they actually acknowledged that there are fewer places than usual this year. Or did you mean that there are fewer spaces in Y5? 

If it gives you any comfort I really doubt that any email you send will reflect on your DS. They won't have that in mind when they view the videos. 

On a positive note, I hope that today's news about the Oxford vaccine might mean that we can get back to "normal" within the next 12 months and have in person auditions. 

My DD did two JA insight days and loved them so much. I really hope that they might be able to run them again in the near future. It made up for not having an in-person audition. 

I personally think a prestige (or socially responsible) organization has a responsibility to be transparent. It was really nagging me that these auditions might be nothing more than a source of revenue rather than genuine opportunity, so I just felt compelled to ask the question. This is a section of the reply I got, that I was pleasantly surprised to receive:

We are making room in all our Associate centres to take in new Y4 and 5 students in January – inevitably there will be fewer places than a normal year but we will do our best to accommodate the candidates who we feel would benefit the most from the programme.

I don’t yet sense that there have been many spaces create for Y5, but like you mentioned, the participants in this forum might not be a proportionate representation of the applicants and results. It doesn’t address if the allocation of spaces will ‘swing’ more favourably to Y4 rather than last years claim that it swings more favourably to Y5. But it does suggest theres still opportunity, though much less than in previous years.

• Like 1

Incase this puts some minds at ease. My daughter was on the SWL for group 1. Our videos were only viewed for a short time early on then a few days before we got the results they were viewed again. 
they obv make a short list quickly and then they watch the videos again to make their decision. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

We've literally had the first video only, viewed for about 10 seconds! I really hope they watch more than that.

Snap! One view of the 1st video for 10 seconds. I know YouTube analytics can have a 24-48 time delay, but it’s a bit depressing to know that that might be all that gets looked at.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Snap! One view of the 1st video for 10 seconds. I know YouTube analytics can have a 24-48 time delay, but it’s a bit depressing to know that that might be all that gets looked at.

Well we only had 4 secs viewed of video 1 and in that time she just says her name 🤣🤣

• Like 2

Taken a while to get accepted to write message but wanted to add Sorry for all the not yets and congrats to swl, we got a yes for group 3 yesterday, viewed several times and final view just before results. Good luck to group 4! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobbins said:

Taken a while to get accepted to write message but wanted to add Sorry for all the not yets and congrats to swl, we got a yes for group 3 yesterday, viewed several times and final view just before results. Good luck to group 4! 

Yay! An actual yes!

8 hours ago, The red shoes said:

Well we only had 4 secs viewed of video 1 and in that time she just says her name 🤣🤣

They did this for us too, then Sunday viewed all three videos properly. Don’t fret. I think they do an initial view to check it works x

• Like 1

Dropping in from the year 6 JA group. RBS know exactly what they are looking for and can spot very quickly if a child has it or not. If a child doesn’t, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have no potential as a classical dancer, just that they don’t fit the precise mould RBS is looking for. Children fit in (and out) of the mould as they grow (hence why some children have to leave RBS after some training) so it’s always worth retrying if no ‘yes’ this time. 

And I’m very much of the belief that if the RBS want to accommodate a child, then they will find a way: they won’t let them go. So that email response makes sense to me. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bobbins said:

Congratulations! Nice to hear of a rare yes! Are you yr 4 or 5?

10 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Ok now third one has just been watched... odd they are working  on a Saturday night 

Are viewing results delayed? Seems odd they'd be viewing at this time. Ours still just has 10 seconds of the first video viewed.