RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

Hi

I thought it would be nice to start this topic (if allowed) for those of us who have a DC applying for RBS JA Year 4 and 5 this year via video audition so we can keep track of each centre and help each other out with any questions. If there are any of you on this forum? 
Group 1 is London and we are Group 2 (Leeds). Would be nice to meet you all (virtually) on here and hear your views. 

Edited by Balletbuds80
  • Like 1

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, BellaF said:

I have a DD auditioning for a year 5 place in Birmingham (group 4). 

Seems like we’ve been preparing for this audition forever! Ready to get it over and done with now. 

It’s the not knowing that’s the hard part for us parents isn’t it. Not hearing anything for so long and then not knowing what to expect. I am disappointed my DD is not going to have the experience of doing a class. We didn’t book an insight day as my DD teacher only suggested about her applying after that date. She has no class audition experience but she is only 8 so I am sure there will be other opportunities in the future. Possibly next year 😂

6 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

so I am sure there will be other opportunities in the future. Possibly next year 😂

There will be lots of opportunities in the future if your dd is open to them.  Treat this first one as a fun practice for all of those auditions to come.

If she is successful this time it will be an added bonus.  If not it is good practice for the next one, and the next one,  etc

• Like 2

Can we talk leotards? Are you going with normal uniform or is it better to go with something different? My DD has a lovely black degas leotard so was thinking of that with a belt. I can’t imagine it will make any difference really. 

I would always say go with something that suits them .

My pupils wear Degas Leotards for auditions , if they suit them - and they look fabulous , but they don’t suit everyone’s purse !

Your teachers will advise I’m sure .

I generally get them to try on all their leotards and then decide which look best .

My son’s old JA teacher used to say never wear black!! ( to the girls )

Everyone has a different opinion.

It’s important to choose one that the candidate likes , and is comfortable in .

Nothing that itches , or has to keep being fiddled with !

Edited by tutugirl
  • Like 2

On 06/08/2020 at 21:00, glowlight said:

There will be lots of opportunities in the future if your dd is open to them.  Treat this first one as a fun practice for all of those auditions to come.

If she is successful this time it will be an added bonus.  If not it is good practice for the next one, and the next one,  etc

Yes absolutely 

19 hours ago, RachH said:

Can we talk leotards? Are you going with normal uniform or is it better to go with something different? My DD has a lovely black degas leotard so was thinking of that with a belt. I can’t imagine it will make any difference really. 

Have I imagined it that the leotards must be plain with no lace or sleeves? 

I found this on the RBS website - in the photos section: 

Female dancewear: for photographs and when attending an audition class girls should wear a plain-colour leotard (simple-style: no skirt, no frills, lace, high fancy neckline or multi-straps), short ballet socks and bare legs (no tights), ballet shoes with elastic (no ribbons). Hair neatly groomed.

Male dancewear: for photographs and when attending an audition class boys should wear a close-fitting t-shirt or dance leotard, dance shorts or plain-colour swimming trunks, short white socks and bare legs (no tights), ballet shoes.  Hair neatly groomed, if long please tie back (no headbands).

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/apply/photograph-requirements/

57 minutes ago, RachH said:

I found this on the RBS website - in the photos section: 

Female dancewear: for photographs and when attending an audition class girls should wear a plain-colour leotard (simple-style: no skirt, no frills, lace, high fancy neckline or multi-straps), short ballet socks and bare legs (no tights), ballet shoes with elastic (no ribbons). Hair neatly groomed.

Male dancewear: for photographs and when attending an audition class boys should wear a close-fitting t-shirt or dance leotard, dance shorts or plain-colour swimming trunks, short white socks and bare legs (no tights), ballet shoes.  Hair neatly groomed, if long please tie back (no headbands).

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/apply/photograph-requirements/

Yes I knew I had seen it somewhere. Thank you

Year 6 audition was around 35 mins long. A nice teacher leading the class and the children followed, with you filming them. Only meant to go through it once so no practice allowed. 

Simple exercises and combinations plus quite a few points where they were asked to stand in a certain position (nothing complicated: just to see their proportions) or hold a particular stretch. They took their socks off too at one point. 

All very straightforward and nothing really you can do to prepare. The most complicated part is uploading the video...! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whiteduvet said:

Year 6 audition was around 35 mins long. A nice teacher leading the class and the children followed, with you filming them. Only meant to go through it once so no practice allowed. 

Simple exercises and combinations plus quite a few points where they were asked to stand in a certain position (nothing complicated: just to see their proportions) or hold a particular stretch. They took their socks off too at one point. 

All very straightforward and nothing really you can do to prepare. The most complicated part is uploading the video...! 

This is fantastic information. I wasn’t sure if we’d be able to watch it through once before filming. So I guess we put a time aside, get her ‘ready’ in her leotard, hair done etc and then go for it. 
Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

Oh one bit I missed was that they had to do a short improvisation. It didn’t have to be classical steps, just a chance to show their musicality and love of dance. 

Thanks - that's great to know! Was it kneeling (just arms) or standing? And did they get chance to hear the music first or did they go straight into it?

I think it would be most like an audition if you just do it once and film them the first time of doing it. That's what we're going to do.

Wouldn't some people "cheat" though and practice it first? I hope not as there would surely be a risk of it looking practised (especially any improvisation) and them getting marked down because of that? Or some people might get their teacher to come and correct? How can they make it fair?

We did the year 6 video and I was desperate to re record some bits but didn't! She wasnt perfect by any means but we just found out she got a place. They aren't looking for a polished performance but for potential. The dances and steps they are asked to copy are simple so you dont need to practice. Good luck everyone x 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the really helpful information - well done to your daughter Raquelle! How long did it take for you to find out? 

My daughter will just wear her dance school uniform leotard, I’ll get her ready and set up and then just go for it! I assume they’ll be able to tell by their performance if they’ve rehearsed it beforehand, and I’d rather she just did it as she would’ve done in an ‘in person’ audition. 

It’s getting very exciting now! 

• Like 1

RBS is all about potential and physique. Which are things you either have or don’t, really, and practising the exercises over and over won’t make any difference if your body proportions are all wrong, for example. This may be slightly different for eg Elmhurst who I think ask for more technical knowledge at this age, but if you don’t have the right RBS attributes there’s little you can do unfortunately. I would have thought they’d also look negatively at videos where the child clearly knows what’s coming next: Ballet is all about following instructions! 

Yes I agree white duvet. Our dd got in off the swl so I got a lovely phone call last week! She is slim with nice feet and flexible. She wore a red leotard which was flattering and we couldn't find her ballet shoes so the ones she ended up wearing were too small! However her feet looked lovely when she pointed! It wasnt a perfect audition but obviously they saw something in her x 

• Like 1