RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

46 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

I completely get all of that. However our first video was only viewed for the first 28 seconds- she hadn’t even moved off the spot by then 😂 I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and she’s so happy at Elmhurst that I don’t think she would have moved anyway but I do wonder about this process. £50 is a lot more money than any other audition we have taken part in, yet this was the only one not conducted via zoom 🤷🏻‍♀️

Do you know it was actually the first 28 seconds or was it just 28 seconds in total? The first 28 seconds they are just stood still listening! 

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Isabella said:

Maybe an obvious question but if decisions are being made in a short amount of time due to physical attributes, what will these be? What is the look? Or is that the golden question? 

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this. Although the obvious would be slim build, long legs, flexible, good turnout etc. My DD got in for Y4 and she is really tall, wouldn't look out of place in Y6, and the other girl I know who got in is tiny, very petite. They don't look anything alike next to each other.

i think it would have been a nice touch if the RBS auditions team had explained about reduced numbers etc, we've all paid a fee and the children all gave it their best shot in difficult circumstances, i don't think it would have been difficult for them to release a bit more info! its like the secret service with no one really knowing whats going on or how many places are available! or maybe im just nosey 🤣

• Like 2

My daughter (as many others do) has all of the physical attributes you would expect they would want. Slim, great feet, great turnout and flexibility but she still got a no. I think it just boils down to number of places. There just aren’t enough for the number of children which apply. I don’t think we should be disheartened with the no’s. I am definitely of the belief it just means ‘not yet’.

It was suggested by our teacher that we audition this year but we missed the closing date. Luckily they reopened the applications in June and we applied then. We are looking at this as (a very expensive) practise run. We know what to expect now. We know what to work on and will try again next year. If it’s still a no, then that’s just not meant to be for her and we will look at other options. I personally feel it has taught my daughter that although she has been blessed with all the physical attributes which will help her in ballet, you still need to work hard. It is her second ever audition after successfully gaining a place at Ballet Boost in summer and she even mentioned on Monday that she hadn’t tried as hard for the Royal audition as she had for Ballet Boost so hopefully she might now realise if she really wants this then she needs to work for it. Don’t give up folks. 

• Like 1

My dd got a no again this year, she was ok about it thankfully. Also a bit disappointed with the whole process as £50 is fine for the proper audition as it is a great experience but not great to film it yourself and barely have the videos looked at. Not many (if any?) yr 5 places being offered, I wonder if with it being only 2 terms they are favouring the yr 4's?  

Congratulations to the yeses and the swl's and commiserations to the not yet, the main thing is that they all keep loving their dancing ❤ 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luna said:

My dd got a no again this year, she was ok about it thankfully. Also a bit disappointed with the whole process as £50 is fine for the proper audition as it is a great experience but not great to film it yourself and barely have the videos looked at. Not many (if any?) yr 5 places being offered, I wonder if with it being only 2 terms they are favouring the yr 4's?  

Congratulations to the yeses and the swl's and commiserations to the not yet, the main thing is that they all keep loving their dancing ❤ 

I can't think of any year 5 yeses I've seen?? My DDs birthday is right at the end of August so if she'd been born a few days later she would be a year 4. She was only 7 at her audition last year.

39 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Hi... don’t know if this helps but my dd birthday is 31 August.. got no for yr 4..swl for year 5 ... yes for yr 6 and this was my concern too at the time & their feedback was they do take age into account  .

That is good to know thank you! Well if they are not taking many year 5s this year we can try again for yr 6 very soon. I really hope the auditions are in person next time. 🤞

43 minutes ago, Exhausteddancemum said:

It looks like Year 4 & 5 will be video auditions next year too for the huge price of £65 :( or am I misreading their website?!

I don’t read it like that ... I think they are saying for vocational school they will see Yr 7 and Yr 12 in person (as dates are approaching soon) but that JAs are currently planned to be in person but dates showing as tbc ... suspect it will depend on what happens over the next few months 🤷🏻‍♀️

When are Group 3 expected to get their results? Tbh I’m not expecting DD to get in as it’s the first time round and she was unwell for the audition so was certainly not at her best! Well done to the few yes’ I’ve seen, and don’t be disheartened to the No’s!! X

Welcome :) I think it was a month after the end date.  We are group 3.  I don't think my dad will get in either.  It was very hard to hear and see 🙈.  I also don't think she has the turnout.

She enjoyed it though just a shame it wasn't f2f as would have been a great experience.  Good luck to your dad and hope she is better now 🤞

Getting better now thanks, we literally had to leave it to the last day as she had a chest infection which didn’t clear 🤷🏻‍♀️

She’s already started and is enjoying ballet boost, so if she doesn’t get in we won’t be disappointed. Is it Eastleigh you’v

16 minutes ago, Ballerinamum said:

Welcome :) I think it was a month after the end date.  We are group 3.  I don't think my dad will get in either.  It was very hard to hear and see 🙈.  I also don't think she has the turnout.

She enjoyed it though just a shame it wasn't f2f as would have been a great experience.  Good luck to your dad and hope she is better now 🤞

e gone for?

We’re group 4, haven’t had our videos watched yet. My dd the youngest in her school year, after reading comments it doesn’t leave me feeling very hopeful. I hope they don’t keep us waiting too long. 
Well done to the dancers that received a yes, best of luck to swl & don’t give up to the no’s!

Just testing our set up before filming tomorrow - to those who used a laptop linked up to a screen did the very slight time delay pose any issues? 

Well done to all who have had their results so far. Such a strange time to be auditioning and sounds like there are fewer places than usual so everyone has done brilliantly!

2 hours ago, BellaF said:

Just testing our set up before filming tomorrow - to those who used a laptop linked up to a screen did the very slight time delay pose any issues? 

Well done to all who have had their results so far. Such a strange time to be auditioning and sounds like there are fewer places than usual so everyone has done brilliantly!

We linked the laptop to a TV in the end and didn't notice a time delay. Also with the TV on max volume we could hear it ok.

When I first tried setting it up I just used the laptop with a Bluetooth speaker and the sound was so quiet with a lag of 2-3 seconds!

2 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

We linked the laptop to a TV in the end and didn't notice a time delay. Also with the TV on max volume we could hear it ok.

When I first tried setting it up I just used the laptop with a Bluetooth speaker and the sound was so quiet with a lag of 2-3 seconds!

Oh it wasn't anywhere near as bad as 2-3 seconds! Will go with that then thanks 😊

Just had the reminder email. When we submitted we did not get a confirmation of receipt, it just took us to a page saying something like 'thank you for getting in touch'. I'm worrying they haven't received our videos. Did others get a confirmation?

30 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Just had the reminder email. When we submitted we did not get a confirmation of receipt, it just took us to a page saying something like 'thank you for getting in touch'. I'm worrying they haven't received our videos. Did others get a confirmation?

Yes, don't worry, everyone gets the reminder! I worried at first too 😉

• Like 1