Royal Opera House "Open Up" - a year on

39 minutes ago, RuthE said:

To be absolutely fair to you, I’ve been going to the ROH very regularly for 20 years, ie since the major rebuild of 1997-1999, and there’s STILL one junction on the House Right staircase where I have to stop and check so I don’t go the wrong way.

You mean the one where you run into the dead end if you're not careful, I'm guessing.  Me too.

• Like 1

Yep - I suspect we’re all talking about the same one. I think all the signage was removed with Open Up, but it’s the landing that used to have a sign pointing left to “Balcony Boxes” at a point at which left was the most logically-obvious way to go, but you have to know to go right unless you are in fact going to the Balcony Boxes.

I had some time in hand yesterday on my trip to Agrippina and had a really good look round. One improvement I noticed and would like to enter for the Fussy Nitpicking of the Year award is that  they have finally stuck metal panels on the doors of the amphi loos- which were previously just paint, and covered in v unpleasant grubby hand marks. So that is an improvement.

I couldn't see any major changes  - more new furniture on the terrace, but I think they renew it annually. Signs up now asking us not to 'peer in' or take photos of the costume workshops. It must get annoying for the staff, I can imagine, but it is difficult NOT to look in really if you are strolling on the terrace and there are sumptuous and beautiful costumes hung up in the windows....

It was nice to see the Box Office well settled in now, and they said they liked being there, in the main house.

The lack of Left and Right signage, I agree with points above, is still causing a lot of problems, especially when people pile into the Left door of the amphi and then, realising they are wrong, try to come out at peak going-in time.

The singing was out of this world but the  production...oh dear...why oh why do they always have to have these monstrous sets, creaking and humming- during the music!- and obscuring the singers? and action such that 75% of the house can't see it? not to mention..ah well that's for the music thread.

Looking forward to some ballet next week- as always it seems such a very long time...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alison said:

One thing nobody's brought up, and which really needs attention - though I'm not sure how - is the sightlines from the sides of the new Linbury Theatre.

Linked to which I wish ticketing rules like keeping x amount for the general public on general booking day applied. 

Also it would be great if it was included in Friday Rush - even 10 tickets at least would be nice (though perhaps impractical I admit). 

• 1 month later...

In the Linbury, seat numbers have now been added to the edges of the seats where they are clearly visible when they are flipped up. Previously, the seat number was on the middle of underside of the seat (it's still there) but the lighting meant that this was very difficult to see and many members of the audience quite clearly found it difficult to know where their seat was.  It's taken them a long time to do it but the new numbers are a definite improvement. 

• Like 3

I couldn't help noticing when I went on Monday for the triple bill that there were a lot of empty seats in the stalls.  They were filming on that day; was this the reason?  I was quite shocked, given that the rest of the seating areas were full.  

Also, the amphitheatre restaurant was barely a quarter full.  I used to eat there frequently when tickets were cheaper, and I can't remember it being that empty. The coffee in the ground floor cafe was horrible, tepid and bitter tasting.  No idea what brand they are using, but I didn't like it.  On the other hand, the  rum carrot cake was divine. 😛

Edited by Fonty

11 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I couldn't help noticing when I went on Monday for the triple bill that there were a lot of empty seats in the stalls.  They were filming on that day; was this the reason?  I was quite shocked, given that the rest of the seating areas were full.  

Yes, the view from those seats in the side stalls are blocked by cameras.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Also, the amphitheatre restaurant was barely a quarter full.  I used to eat there frequently when tickets were cheaper, and I can't remember it being that empty. The coffee in the ground floor cafe was horrible, tepid and bitter tasting.  No idea what brand they are using, but I didn't like it.  On the other hand, the  rum carrot cake was divine. 😛

I've not had food in the ROH (either before or after Open Up) but being central London there are so many restaurants to choose from - where you can get great food at very reasonable prices and quick service (or you can go the other end and pay £££ for very good food I imagine). 

The food would have to be pretty good for the prices they are charging (£30-45 for a two course is the guideline online - this is pretty much the same as a ticket price for me and I know which I would rather...) as it's above my usual budget, but I sense it's just bog standard stuff you could get elsewhere for £10-15 less (I presume it's nice enough but not enough to justify those prices in my opinion). And it would also need to be pretty good food anyway to entice people to come in for food alone. If I'm paying those prices as well I would want to spend a bit longer relaxing with food and so ironically I don't feel it suits pre-theatre, as if you just want a quick, satisfying meal for a reasonable price you'd go elsewhere. 

I think the ROH needs to think about the target audience for the amphi restaurant. If it's genuinely meant to encourage non ROH performance attenders to go in just for food, they need to up their game - more creative menus. Alternatively, they could go down the 'cheap' and cheerful route - including set price menus for around £20-30 max (pre-theatre offer for example), this would then potentially encourage more people to dine before a show - if it was around this price I wouldn't mind giving it a go. 

Currently the sample menu looks uninspiring and neither value for money. But that's just my opinion...I think certainly in the amphi restaurant they can't rely on the grandeur of the crush room or the unique environment of Floral Hall so the food needs to be the focus point - whether it's fine dining (which is already covered by the previous two to be honest) or reasonable pre-theatre. Currently it's stuck somewhere in the middle and I sense that's why it's not as popular. I imagine the cafe is more popular as they are more able to 'get away' with not top quality coffee etc being served - sometimes people just want to sit down somewhere convenient and a lot of the coffee shops around that area are either chains or small places that fill up fast, so if you have a bigger group ROH probably is quite good for that. 

Perhaps a slightly unfair post as I've not actually eaten there but half the job is actually enticing people to do so, which doesn't seem to be going well. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4

I went back to check the ROH website, because the prices you were quoting sounded very expensive.  It took me a while to actually find the right restaurant.  I am assuming by process of elimination that it is now called the Piazza restaurant, which to me suggests the ground floor.  What is wrong with the name Amphitheatre restaurant? 

If I remember correctly (and it has been a while) they used to do a 3 course set menu for....£29?  The beauty of eating in any of the ROH restaurants is (or used to be) the fact that you got your table for the evening.  So you could turn up at 6pm, and have a leisurely 2 courses, then come back in the interval and eat your pudding.  Your wine was kept for you for the whole performance.  Not sure if they still do that.  It really isn't clear from the website.   

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I went back to check the ROH website, because the prices you were quoting sounded very expensive.  It took me a while to actually find the right restaurant.  I am assuming by process of elimination that it is now called the Piazza restaurant, which to me suggests the ground floor.  What is wrong with the name Amphitheatre restaurant? 

If I remember correctly (and it has been a while) they used to do a 3 course set menu for....£29?  The beauty of eating in any of the ROH restaurants is (or used to be) the fact that you got your table for the evening.  So you could turn up at 6pm, and have a leisurely 2 courses, then come back in the interval and eat your pudding.  Your wine was kept for you for the whole performance.  Not sure if they still do that.  It really isn't clear from the website.   

Yes, I think that still happens (the table for the evening part)

The 'Piazza' element was part of the open up, as I think they wanted to make use of the veranda section immediately outside the restaurant for semi alfresco dining, but that fell completely flat (especially later, when they tried to make it a bar area with table service, so that even if you bought a drink in the main Amphi bar, you couldn't sit there - spectacular own goal!). The regulars (and some of the contract office staff) have reclaimed that area now to sit during intervals and pre-show. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

Yes it's the Piazza restaurant - I suppose they call it that because it's semi outside with the terrace area. I presume it was renamed as part of the 'Open Up' because whilst it's closest to the amphitheatre restaurant, if you are trying to encourage non performance attendees to go there why should it be called the amphitheatre restaurant because that term is meaningless to you?

I think renaming it is fine (and I imagine a lot of people will continue to call it the amphi restaurant if that's what they know it as, it's hardly an enigma) though I wouldn't have gone for 'Piazza' personally which sounds a bit continental  - nothing wrong with the continent of course but this is the 'Royal' Opera House, a very British institution, so I would have gone for something that more aligns with that theme. It also sounds like the odd one out next to the very British sounding Crush Room and Paul Hamlyn Hall/Floral Hall. But I suppose I'm reading too much into it. (Also Piazza just makes me think of Pizza too...) I can see they're trying to go for a light, summery type of atmosphere with Mediterranean style food, which does fit in with the 'Piazza' name. But then I think this type of food should be priced much more reasonably, certainly if you're trying to appeal to a younger crowd. 

That sounds quite nice to get the table for the evening and certainly adds an extra element of 'value for money' to the experience, as well as meaning you don't need to rush through three courses very quickly before a performance (which would incentivise more people to opt for three courses I imagine). I suppose now with the focus on people who aren't there to attend performances only they can't justify holding a table all evening. Which I understand, but I do think then the food needs to meet a certain price/quality standard even more so as you're not relying on the pre-theatre/performance goers crowd. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this has appeared anywhere else today,  not really about the Open Up, but there was an article in today's Times saying that many London theatres are stopping announcements involving the words "Ladies and Gentlemen". The ROH are having discussions with Equity and may follow :)

On 31/10/2019 at 13:08, JNC said:

think renaming it is fine (and I imagine a lot of people will continue to call it the amphi restaurant if that's what they know it as, it's hardly an enigma) though I wouldn't have gone for 'Piazza' personally which sounds a bit continental  - nothing wrong with the continent of course but this is the 'Royal' Opera House, a very British institution, so I would have gone for something that more aligns with that theme. 

I would prefer them to go back to the old name of Amphitheatre Restaurant myself!

But Covent Garden piazza was designed in homage to Italian piazzas by Inigo Jones in the 17th Century, so for once this is not a modern invention but the corect name for the area..

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I don't know if this has appeared anywhere else today,  not really about the Open Up, but there was an article in today's Times saying that many London theatres are stopping announcements involving the words "Ladies and Gentlemen". The ROH are having discussions with Equity and may follow :)

Er - what's wrong with the words "Ladies and Gentlemen" ?  Is it insulting to people who are neither?  And judging by some of the audience behaviour that I have experienced in various theatres, I would say that there are a fair few of them! 🙂 

Regarding the new Piazza restaurant, I have no problem with the word.  But personally I would a piazza restaurant to open out on to a piazza i.e. to be on the ground floor.  Just me being difficult, I suppose.  But if something has been called by a certain name for a very long time, I can never remember the new name.  Hence I always refer to the Floral Hall, a name that reflects the history of the building perfectly.  I am sure Paul Hamlyn was wonderful man, and his foundation made a very generous donation to the ROH, but wouldn't a plaque in a prominent position detailing their generosity have been sufficient?  As it is, I doubt most people know nor care who he was.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I’m sure the ROH excludes far more people with their ‘please take your seats’ announcements, as someone that identifies as a Stalls Circle Stander I feel almost offended enough to sue 🙂

• Like 11

18 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Beryl this is a joke, right?  I fear not, however.  So is this to avoid 'offending' all the other permutations that we have today?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Beryl this is a joke, right?  I fear not, however.  So is this to avoid 'offending' all the other permutations that we have today?

Sim, we live in a world where a tampon manufacturer has agreed to act on a complaint that feminine symbols on its packaging may offend/exclude  transgender men and non binary people 

Edited by Rob S

Just now, Rob S said:

Sim, we live in a world where a tampon manufacturer has agreed to act on a complaint that feminine symbols on its packaging may offend transgender men 

I know.  It's pitiful.  Everyone just wants to be offended these days.  I'm so glad I'm not young.

• Like 8

• Sim locked this topic