MDS funding

Diva05

Could someone please advise how MDS is allocated at the top ballet schools if the student gains their place after year 7? My understanding so far is that there is very limited availability of funds if that is the case. 

Thank you in advance. 

As far as I know, all eligible students at White Lodge and Elmhurst are offered MDS, regardless of which year they join. At Tring and Hammond the funding is much more limited, especially for years other than 7. These are the only dance schools with MDS funding, but other schools (YDA and Moorland for example) have their own scholarships for some students. Once you get to 6th form, MDS is replaced by DaDA or student loans at a lot of schools.

19 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

As far as I know, all eligible students at White Lodge and Elmhurst are offered MDS, regardless of which year they join. At Tring and Hammond the funding is much more limited, especially for years other than 7. These are the only dance schools with MDS funding, but other schools (YDA and Moorland for example) have their own scholarships for some students. Once you get to 6th form, MDS is replaced by DaDA or student loans at a lot of schools.

We were told that Moorland only have two dance bursaries a year and that they go to Year 7 (but would be happy to be corrected) if anyone knows of those being offered one joining in other year groups.  Apparently they focus their bursaries on the football side. :(

I have been offered a bursary for Moorland for sixth form, yes there aren't many but Moorland is so amazing, could not recommend anywhere in the world more highly. It is my favourite place (speaking as an associate!)

Showcase Is this Saturday at Burnley mechanics theatre, The dancers will be absolutely incredible X (I will be dancing in the final act, but having watched the dress rehearsal you will be amazed by all the other dancers!)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

I have been offered a bursary for Moorland for sixth form, yes there aren't many but Moorland is so amazing, could not recommend anywhere in the world more highly. It is my favourite place (speaking as an associate!)

Showcase Is this Saturday at Burnley mechanics theatre, The dancers will be absolutely incredible X (I will be dancing in the final act, but having watched the dress rehearsal you will be amazed by all the other dancers!)

That's such good news, Arucaria!!! Congrats!!!

17 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Do you know if they offer DaDas as well?

On 12/06/2019 at 08:51, annaliesey said:

Hi

they are for everyone who needs one upon successful audition 

So are successful applicants for Hammond and Tring, who need MDS funding but may not be awarded it, in a worse position than successful applicants for CAT schemes who need MDS funding? 

My friend’s DC is considering applying for classical vocational training. They would need MDS funding and aren’t able to get to the Northern Ballet CAT, which we understand is the only classical ballet CAT scheme. Do they have to pin all their hopes on a place at RBS or Elmhurst or that they will be lucky enough to get one of the MDS funded places at Hammond or Tring, as they don’t want to apply for a place at their local CAT scheme which is contemporary - but for which they would be funded?

Yes, as you say it must be much cheaper to fund all eligible CAT students. Just such a pity that unless you are within reach of Leeds (and able to transport your child to the Northern Ballet CAT scheme there), classical training from 11 when an MDS is needed means hoping for one of the few places at one of the ‘Big Four’ and in particular for an RBS or Elmhurst place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 13:22, Newdancermum said:

Thank for letting me know Picturesinthefirelight

Does anyone have anymore information on the level of funding at Moorland and which years it covers?

As far as I am aware it’s on an individual basis as it’s provided by the school. They have limited funding for a few students in the form of bursaries. It’s a case of applying and seeing but I agree it is the most amazing school with amazing teachers my DS has never been happier.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

When working out how much to pay I know that MDS calculations take into account number.of dependents. I know from CAT scheme.that we deducted approx £2k per dependent from.our gross income. On the Elmhurst calculator it doesnt have this on there. Any ideas how much you deduct?

2 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

When working out how much to pay I know that MDS calculations take into account number.of dependents. I know from CAT scheme.that we deducted approx £2k per dependent from.our gross income. On the Elmhurst calculator it doesnt have this on there. Any ideas how much you deduct?

It’s the same, approx £2k. 

• Like 1