Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the rest of my passionate journey is concerned, I will leave that off the forum as the culture of its members are simply not ready for a person with my sense of purpose.

That would seem wise.

It's not clear to me that having a huge sense of purpose is a good thing, at least insofar as it seems to have panned out here.

• Like 3

Michelle, please will you set up your own blog? I for one follow your journey with great interest and enjoyment. I look forward to your posts and updates and greatly admire your strength and determination.

I will miss your valuable contribution to this forum and hearing all about your journey to become the best dancer you can be.

I for one am saddened that this situation has built up. Please pm me if you do set up a blog so that I can follow you. My best wishes for the future.

• Like 3

I think starting a blog sounds like an excellent idea. It is said to be very therapeutic. Not something I've ever tried but with sites like Wordpress etc it seems quite straightforward, and you can add photos.

Or perhaps a video blog using Youtube? They seem to be popular.

• Like 3

In the last 15 years however it has got more difficult for teachers to do this because of all the Health and Safety rules in part and because of a sort of creeping compensation culture on the other which I think in part comes from the above attitude or vice versa!!

Definitely, that's what I was thinking of really, when I was mentioning teachers giving advice outside the studio. It must cause quite a dilemma on occasions.

• Like 2

It's more of an issue if you work freelance outside a company or setting such as Pineapple etc. Even working freelance for a company requires you to have your own insurance on top of the company's. Technically the teacher is only liable during class. This is not about lack of care for students but there do need to be clear parameters as adults sign up to take class at their own risk but the teacher cannot be held liable if someone decides to practice something unsafe or not suitable whilst cold and unsupervised. This was my rationale for warning against using company studios out of class to practice solos without the consent of the organisation as technically they could question why this had happened.

• Like 4

Wow what a reaction, it seems many of you are fond of giving me feedback but when I give correction back as to deficiencies in your argument, there is no reference to my actual content of the post, but the fact that I have challenged the thinking of the so called experts. I will always challenge and ask why if something doesn’t add up or make proper sense. I was born with a brain and I use it, I never have been passive and I make no apology for that.

But what saddens me most of all, was the post from my friend Fiz. Like LinMM I thought this thread was all about adult ballet including our respective journeys that we shared with each other, but it seem I was wrong. Fiz as you were the instigator of this thread I will respect your wishes and leave, however I do hope we remain friends and I still hope to see you in Lincoln in that new pointe class when and if you move.

LinMM No I don’t think you are a “wolf” and we are friends as always, I don’t think you should have told them I wasn’t fierce though, that wont do my street cred any good at all, ha ha ha

As far as the rest of my passionate journey is concerned, I will leave that off the forum as the culture of its members are simply not ready for a person with my sense of purpose. I will keep things quite factual as regards new course and workshops. If I have something to contribute on other threads I will simply PM that individual, especially if it something I can help with.

Taxi4ballet: your comment “I dare say that's because the teachers think that what adult dancers do before or after class is none of their business. Their public liability insurance is unlikely to cover anything that happens outside the class, and since most of them are probably self-employed then they are getting paid to teach for a certain period of time, and not before or after. They are probably also very used to people ignoring their advice anyway, so don't bother giving it any more.” I guess that type of apathetical attitude is typical of society today, in other word “NOT MY PROBLEM”, thank god I'm not like that. Also I would never support such a post.

Michelle, I do hope that you set up your own blog as Dave Tries Ballet has done previously  and I think you will have many followers, especially from this forum. Please do post a link. I personally have no idea how to set up a blog page, but I am sure that others here can 'pointe' you in the right direction. Keep us in the loop.

NL

edited as usual for typos.....

Edited by Nana Lily

Aw that will be the wonderful yuri and chika you are on about David, such lovely people and teachers.

Indeed! They are truly amazing teachers - and I've learnt so much more than just technique with them. Their level of artistry, characterisation and 'performance' in everything they do really shines through and inspires me. I'm very very lucky!

Everyone I know seems to use Wordpress.  More than that I can't contribute ...

I use Wordpress for my blog and find it (generally) great. It's pretty easy to get first set up and relatively simple to post. There's loads of add-ons and plug-ins you can add to give your blog lots of bells and whistles but they're not always necessary!

Another option is Tumblr, which lets you post text/photo/video/links etc. It's a little more informal and can be good if you're planning lots of smaller updates rather than more sporadic longer ones.

That sounds wonderful what you are doing DaveW. You must be pretty good too tobe taking on those roles. Is your study dance related or have you just kept up,the dancing because you have studied it as a child?

Performing makes you have a whole lot more respect for it all....that responsibility when there's an audience out there both terrifying and exciting at the same time......and it does tend to bring things out in yourself you didn't realise you had!!

Hope you will manage to find time to continue anyway.

My studying, alas, has nothing to do with dance - it's theoretical Computer Science! And I never danced as a child - if only! - I started 3 years ago when I was 23 (not the 'normal' age to start!).

Thanks to an encouraging PM from LinMM I thought I would share the following video of a recent performance I gave (if you follow my blog you might have already seen it) of the Adage from Le Corsaire. I'm dancing with a girl, Ellie, from the Youth Ballet Company who is a stunning dancer - thankfully she has to do all the hard stuff! I normally hate watching myself dance (I don't think I'm alone there!) but I can watch this without too much grimacing - I think because I enjoyed performing the piece so much, it always puts a smile on my face!

Any comments and constructive criticism are obviously welcome! (And I don't know if there's a policy for posting videos of ourselves dancing on here - if it's not appropriate I'll happily take it down!)

• Like 7

As you know Dave I still can't believe you've only been dancing three years!! It takes so much skill to partner so well and lift etc really well done you!!

Anyone who has done any Amateur performing with Ballet will also know how hard it can be in the places you perform especially if its outdoors!! Changing in the not particularly well kept public loos is one memory and a plait flying off and nearly hitting an audience member is another......let alone nearly joining the audience oneself....the stage was so small!! Usually there's very little time to rehearse in the space so you just have to go out and hope for the best and hope at least ONE person goes home humming some new ballet music and with a bit of a spring in the step!!

Good luck with the other studies and do find a way to keep up some ballet. :) :)

Oh forgot Alison that Bayadere entrance would be my worst nightmare I think....all those arabesques!! Even if you felt physically okay on the day the psychological pressure not to wobble would be a killer!!

Oh forgot Alison that Bayadere entrance would be my worst nightmare I think....all those arabesques!! Even if you felt physically okay on the day the psychological pressure not to wobble would be a killer!!

Think it would depend which leg it was on, for me :).  Fortunately, my balancing is usually quite good (not much is, but *that* is :D).  And anyway, it's not as if we had the whole of the ROH stage to cover, or even a ramp, for that matter.

• Like 1

Yes I rather had the ROH stage in mind when thinking about it!! Ive never counted how many that first girl has to do.....looks like you might be in with a chance for this then Alison! :)

Sounds like a fun thing to do in class though and a good way to practice arabesques!

Thank you everyone for all the kind messages! It has truly brightened my otherwise pretty awful week...

I do really enjoy partnering, although I think it's probably the most stressful part of ballet! It's a shame that, as adults, we generally don't get much opportunity to work on partnering, but then again I don't think younger dancers get much experience at it unless they're at a vocational school (or have a particularly proactive teacher with lots of boys to act as partners fo rthe girls). It's also amazing how different partnering can feel with different dancers - there are some girls/ladies I 'click' with and partnering is really easy, and others it takes more of an effort with (probably my fault rather than theirs!) - but that's probably a discussion for another thread!

• Like 3

Every partner should feel differently, DavidW - and the fact that you are aware of this is a huge accomplishment.  I, too, think that having danced for such a short time is quite amazing.

I  am wondering........What do you feel when you dance this PDD?  When I saw Nureyev dance this he made me "see" a leopard - he was a leopard stalking its prey.  Though the dance begins and ends with a pose indicating he is of a lower social caste, it is he who is  in control of the space and it is he who is stalking her.  That may not be your "take" on it -- but I would be interested to know while you are dancing this - what is the picture in your head?  Who are you?  What is your message? What are you saying about yourself?  About her?

I always found it quite amazing when I danced to a particular picture in my mind, that though I had changed none of the choreography - that image somehow came through and deepened both my enjoyment of the dance, but also managed to convey itself across the footlights.

Actually footlights is a misnomer - you don't need them.  Anna Pavlova was happy to dance wherever people would come to see her - from the grandest theater to the most rustic circumstances.  Using her example, I too, never turned down an opportunity to dance under some very trying circumstances - and was happy to do it.

And, now, you too join the long history of the ballet at its best - a performing art.

Bravo, DavidW!

• Like 4

Yes I rather had the ROH stage in mind when thinking about it!! Ive never counted how many that first girl has to do.....looks like you might be in with a chance for this then Alison! :)

39 (and no, I haven't counted - that's what it says in my Bayadère programme :) ).  And thanks, but I'll leave that to Yasmine Naghdi - she does it infinitely better than I ever could :)

• Like 2

I haven't been to class for a fortnight as I have been very off colour. I had a blood test this morning for various nasty conditions. I tried to go on Wednesday but I could even get the car into reverse. I am feeling sad and frustrated because I know I only have a very few classes left with my lovely teacher and class members. :(

So sorry to hear this Fiz hope you will soon be feeling a lot better.

I'm slightly neurotic about health as I hate feeling under par so I always take a good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement and omega 3 oil all throughout from beginning of Ocober to about end of June and extra C if I get a cold etc.

I can recommend Biocare, Quest and Solgar for good brands though Biocare is getting increasingly difficult to get hold of these days. Viridian is also quite good but not that easy to get hold of either.

I hope you are not working too hard at work.....sometimes there are these times when work gets over demanding for a while so perhaps you need a treat of some sort. :)

• Like 3