RB Promotion Predictions for 2018/19?

12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Capybara, you're much better informed than me about this kind of thing: wasn't the relatively early announcement before the Japanese tour a couple of years ago driven by the contractual obligation to cast principals?

Someone said that (or speculated that) on here, didn't they?

All I know is that the Japanese promoters have a tendency to insist on all performances being led by Principals.

One thing I don't know (or don't remember) is which dancers moved directly from Soloist to Principal.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

Or risk losing him? William Bracewell was, in my view, left hanging in the soloist slot for a tad too long and look what happened :)

I always suspected the Royal's repertoire would prove too tempting sooner or later.

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Someone said that (or speculated that) on here, didn't they?

All I know is that the Japanese promoters have a tendency to insist on all performances being led by Principals.

I can understand that from a ticket sales point of view, but what a shame that Japanese audiences miss out on so many wonderful dancers who aren't quite there yet.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

When I first started going to ballet (late '70s), there was no first soloist rank. There were artists, coryphées, solo artists and principals; so of course soloists did go straight to principal. I can't remember when the ranks were changed but no doubt someone else will know!

According to Errol Pickford's obituary, he was made First Soloist in 1989. I'm pretty sure he was in the first wave of dancers promoted to the new rank at the Royal Ballet.  I think the others were Deborah Bull, Tetsuya Kumakawa, Bonnie Moore and Nicola Roberts. Prior to that I think its fair to say that among the principal rank it was unofficially a two tier system ie. those dancers who were cast in pretty much everything, and those who were cast in only certain principal roles who continued to dance their old soloist roles. In certain productions many soloist roles were cast rather luxuriously from principal rank.  LFB/ENB introduced the same rank, but named Senior Artist, (not to be confused with Character Artist!) back in Beryl Grey's time in the 70s. I think ENB's present ranking system was introduced in the 90s during Derek Deane's tenure. 

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I can understand that from a ticket sales point of view, but what a shame that Japanese audiences miss out on so many wonderful dancers who aren't quite there yet.  

Japanese audiences also tend to prefer famous international guest over company principals (at least the impresarios think so) so for the recent BRB tour, They brought guests Mathias Heymann and Alina Cojocaru. (Nao Sakuma wasn't given a leading role even though it was her last tour with the company, until another dancer was injured and she jumped in as Aurora) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sim said:

I think an exception to the 'skipping a level when promoted' rule is surely Brandon Lawrence of BRB.  He is a Soloist and IMHO should have been promoted to First Soloist last year.  He has danced most of the Principal roles, and is about to debut as Romeo.  He has just had a ballet (Embrace) created on him, and regularly partners two Principal dancers (Delia Mathews and Celine Gittens).  He should definitely be up there with them, so come on Mr Bintley, please do the right thing this time!  :)

All this and he features in many of BRB's promotional activities: not just last weekend's TV appearance and use in posters, but the more mundane shopping centre outings as well. He surely has a higher public profile than some BRB Principals and I daresay RB Principals.

I don't say this to tout his popularity and evident media-friendliness (which should not determine who becomes a Principal), but to point out that the press office at BRB evidently love using him and he has been a real trouper on this front.

P.S. I hope his mother gets to sees all this Brandon adoration sometimes :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 15:26, Sim said:

Its a long road and of course there will be many opportunities in the future to see them when they are ‘quite there’ 😊

Edited by SwissBalletFan

36 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Any more clues yet on when we might expect an announcement?

Traditionally the RB promotions are announced once the annual Tour is over.

The Madrid Tour ends after their last Swan Lake performance on 22nd July so we can expect an official announcement on Monday 23rd July. 

Very interesting reading everyone’s view on this. I for one suspect there will be very few promotions this year, as the first soloist and principal ranks seem to be quite full at the moment. And I also think it will be a year for the gentlemen..

my predictions

Joseph Sissens-artist to first artist(and I’m sure he could skip ranks but realise this is not in his best interests...)

Calvin Richardson-first artist to soloist

William Bracewell-soloist to first soloist

Reece Clarke-soloist to first soloist

Mathew Ball- first soloist to principal

Appreciate it’s highly unlikely to be only men promoted but apart from Tierney Heap and Mayara Magri as possibilities I’m not sure who else from the ladies this year..

would be interested to hear opinions on my thoughts..

all very interesting, the company is just bursting with talent it must be extremely hard for the director but I agree with above he knows his dancers better than anyone 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, AlisonS35 said:

Very interesting reading everyone’s view on this. I for one suspect there will be very few promotions this year, as the first soloist and principal ranks seem to be quite full at the moment. And I also think it will be a year for the gentlemen..

my predictions

Joseph Sissens-artist to first artist(and I’m sure he could skip ranks but realise this is not in his best interests...)

Calvin Richardson-first artist to soloist

William Bracewell-soloist to first soloist

Reece Clarke-soloist to first soloist

Mathew Ball- first soloist to principal

Appreciate it’s highly unlikely to be only men promoted but apart from Tierney Heap and Mayara Magri as possibilities I’m not sure who else from the ladies this year..

would be interested to hear opinions on my thoughts..

all very interesting, the company is just bursting with talent it must be extremely hard for the director but I agree with above he knows his dancers better than anyone 

Think your observations vis a vis the men are spot on.  

• Like 2

I agree, Alison.  Based on my visit in May, I thought the RB had its strongest roster of men in recent years.  I saw Bracewell's Siegfried and Clarke's Des Grieux and thought both were ready for promotion, even if they have different strengths.  Haven't seen much of Ball, but he looks to be shoo-in for principal given the season he has had.  

Also count me in on wanting a promotion for Fumi Kaneko, especially because I thought she was already first soloist!

Edited by MRR
  • Like 1

The five men listed above are my stand-outs too for possible promotion.

I really hope Fumi Kaneko will be promoted to First Soloist, the most deserving female dancer,  as she is not only a gorgeous dancer but she had to deal with a serious injury twice. I like Mayara Magri too but she still needs to refine certain aspects of her dancing, Heap is great in certain roles but I am not convinced yet she's ready to tackle the purely classical roles. Perhaps Isabella Gasparina, who must be just over 30 years old now, to Soloist. That's it for me re. possible promotion of some females dancers. 

• Like 1

Yes I agree with above too on reflection thinking of the purely classical roles Tierney is maybe better suited to the modern ballets? loved her in winters tale and corybantic games. Fumi is stunning and ‘has it all’ doesn’t she so perhaps this is her year also?. In my humble opinion Anna rose is just beautiful ,perhaps she just needs more strength which will come I’m sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

In the women's camp I'd love to see O'Sullivan recognised as well.  

She's a great dancer but she was only promoted to Soloist last Season. I can also see she does not have enough strength yet and rushing dancers is not beneficial to their development; they need time to develop their stamina, strength, technic and artistry. She'll go far I think but she needs a bit more time.

Edited by Xandra Newman
Spelling
  • Like 1

The fact that I didn't put Anna Rose O'Sullivan on my list is not because I don't think she has the qualities to get to the top. I'm sure she does.

However, after making a stunning appearance as Alice and reprising her Clara, she hasn't seemed to have been very prominent this season - until a couple of Siegfried's Sisters came along for her near the end. I think that she will be a Soloist for another year.

I think promotion is given when a dancer fulfills all the needed criteria and begins to rise above others at the same level. They have the X factor! These dancers are quite magical and make me so happy to be there. Everyone in the company is amazing, ( and frankly id promote every single one!!!) for me though I really love Mayara Magri who has stood out in every role.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

BRB announcements tomorrow lunchtime, I believe

I have heard that too Tony.  Any news of promotions is embargoed until then.

There will be a separate thread for BRB promotions when the news is announced by the Company as, of course, they are a different company to the RB. 

• Like 5

my predictions and/or hopes are: 

Matthew Ball to principal 

Yuhui Choe to principal (come on O’Hare!) 

William Bracewell to first soloist 

Reece Clarke to first soloist 

Tierney Heap to first soloist 

Fumi Kaneko to first soloist 

Mayara Magri to first soloist 

Isabella Gasparini to soloist 

Calvin Richardson to soloist 

David Yudes to soloist 

Ashley Dean to first artist 

Joseph Sissens to first artist (or perhaps even soloist? I don’t think O’Hare has ever skipped a rank when promoting, unlike Mason, but if anyone is deserving of this in the company I think it would be Sissens). 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2018 at 14:11, capybara said:

After the tour to Australia (mid July). However, the timing varies from year to year and the Madrid tour is later this year. There are also some dancers who are reported not to have had their 'meeting' with the Director yet. He has a lot of people to get through and it's been a very busy time.

So this implies quite a few possible promotions....

No-one has mentioned Melissa Hamilton ! Is she not a candidate for a final promotion, after coming back after her period "on loan" and dancing several principal roles?

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Not necessarily. In every company all dancers have an annual meeting with their Director. In most cases, the discussions do not include news of promotion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Not necessarily. In every company all dancers have an annual meeting with their Director. In most cases, the discussions do not include news of promotion.

Noted. I wrongly assumed all the meetings you referred to were about promotion, so thanks for the clarification, capybara.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

No-one has mentioned Melissa Hamilton ! Is she not a candidate for a final promotion, after coming back after her period "on loan" and dancing several principal roles?

I had mentioned her previously and people seem to think it unlikely. I realise there is a wealth of talent who could be regarded as being on the cusp of principal status,  but I  am surprised that she hasn't been given the  opportunity to show how she may have developed as a result of her time as a principal in another company by being given a  principal role other than in a Macmillan ballets which she has already proven as a strength

Richard - I should have noted that comments about dancers in line for likely promotion  are in a further thread  under the general discussion forums, the title is something like Principal Pipeline. 

Edited by Odyssey

In the end the AD knows his dancers best of all!  We - the audience- only see them on the stage once in a while.

The fact that she was not given any opportunity says enough. As I have said before: she is great in McGregor but not that great when it comes to dancing the classics and that's where the stumbling block lays I think. I recall her performance in Symphonic Variations :( ...and a few classical tutu roles :( Maybe she just did not develop sufficiently as a result of her time in the other company? 

• Like 1

I think Choe is way past the stage at which she would be promoted and I don’t think she has the pizzazz of a principal. I also think she is really happy as a first soloist and I doubt she will be leaving the RB anytime soon. I also don’t think Hamilton is quite principal material at the RB. Out of all the current female first soloists I would hope for Magri/Stix Brunell to eventually reach principal level. I also have a big soft spot for Claire Calvert. 

• Like 4