RB Promotion Predictions for 2018/19?

I agree with above, the company is hugely talented but I think there are dancers who just fit in certain ranks and who I can’t imagine as principal. I don’t believe once they have ‘done their time’ as first soloist they are considered for principal.. I just don’t think that’s how it works. To be taken into the company In the first place is a huge achievement and only the v v best would be considered for principal I believe. For instance although choe is a stunning dancer( and I may be making myself v unpopular here) I can’t see her becoming principal. But first soloist in (what I believe to be) the best company in the world??... incredible in itself. People like Joseph sissens- I believe you can just tell he will be principal, just has to wait till the time is right. First soloists I believe who will step up to become principals- stix-brunell and ball, and soloists- magri and Clarke. Just my opinion. Be interesting to see in the coming years. We are so lucky to witness the careers of these incredible artists!

• Like 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow's Times has a feature about Matthew Ball, with a photo of him as the Swan in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.  It describes him as 'only the second British male to join the coveted ranks of Royal Ballet principals'.  What ever?  I can think of at least a dozen in just the last 20 years.

And what happened to the Press embargo on news of promotions?  Apologies to the moderators if I shouldn't mention this but it's well and truly in the public domain now.

Linda.

Edited by loveclassics
clarity
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Tomorrow's Times has a feature about Matthew Ball, with a photo of him as the Swan in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.  It describes him as 'only the second British male to join the coveted ranks of Royal Ballet principals'.  What ever?  I can think of at least a dozen in just the last 20 years.

And what happened to the Press embargo on news of promotions?  Apologies to the moderators if I shouldn't mention this but it's well and truly in the public domain now.

Linda.

Matthew Ball’s taxi ride to Royal Ballet history
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/matthew-ball-s-taxi-ride-to-royal-ballet-history-wv529vvz6

"Mr O’Hare noted that Ball was young to be elevated to principal but said his “innate artistry”, “love of every role” and “development of technique” had convinced him. Not to mention coping with the “highly pressurised” late call-up in Giselle."

Congratulations to those dancers who received a promotion. All listed were predicted so no surprises there for me.

I didn't think of Teo Dubreuil but after four years as an Artist and two years at the ENB he too deserved his promotion to First Artist.

Six new corps de ballet members.

Really surprised Reece Clark did not get a promotion, he's such a gorgeous dancer.

Isabella Gasparina, whom I felt deserved promotion to Soloist, remains in the corps de ballet as First Artist.

Congrats to Matthew Ball on his promotion to Principal. He is still very young indeed, as Mr O'Hare said in The Times, but he has great potential and so many of us love his partnership with Naghdi.

Thank you to ALL the dancers who worked so hard throughout the Season and gave us so much pleasure. 

Wishing all the dancers a successful tour to Madrid!

Edited by Xandra Newman
adding text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Really surprised Reece Clark did not get a promotion, he's such a gorgeous dancer.

I so agree with this. I like Kaneko, Magri and, particularly, Heap very much, but Clarke is not only a splendid dancer but has now undertaken with distinction several full length roles (as well as mastering Symphonic Variations) ...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I so agree with this. I like Kaneko, Magri and, particularly, Heap very much, but Clarke is not only a splendid dancer but has now undertaken with distinction several full length roles (as well as mastering Symphonic Variations) ...

I agree, but he has been promoted in each of the last two years. I imagine he's very likely to be promoted next year. 

• Like 2

I'm thrilled to see this list. Huge congratulations to all. 

It does look as if it is a bit of a 'rush job' with the leavers and joiners yet to be announced. There must be quite a few leavers as there are already six joiners. Interesting.

(And, PS, I predicted Dubreuil as well as the others  except that I didn't have Heap down for promotion this year!)

• Like 2

Brilliant news for all involved, esp Ball. His artistry just shone this season i believe. And very pleased to see Heap and Magri rising. Just a bit disappointed not to see Clarke. Next year I’m sure. All those involved must feel in top of the world. And rightly so, after so much hard work. Congratulations!

• alison changed the title to RB Promotion Predictions for 2018/19?
27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've started a new thread and locked this one so that the news does not get buried on page 3 of this thread.

New thread:   

And I've amended the title to make more of a distinction between the two :)