Royal Ballet Spring 2018 Casting

17 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

While I think his Lescaut was beautifully danced I found it lacked the nastier edge that the character has. I think the softer character of De Grieux would suit him well. We obviously need two Alexander Campbells!

Well, get yourself a ticket for 28 April or 5 May...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

While I think his Lescaut was beautifully danced I found it lacked the nastier edge that the character has. I think the softer character of De Grieux would suit him well. We obviously need two Alexander Campbells!

Looks like we have them ! Looking forward to his partnership with Akane Takada on the 28th...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Mixed news - sad for Morera and McRae but... :)

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-manon-on-19-28-april-and-5-may-2018

Oh dear.  I shouldn't have asked, should I?  Well, I wonder whether Campbell will continue doing his Lescauts, or whether he'll be pulled from those?  Could be confusing, dancing 2 separate major roles in the same run of the ballet.

6 hours ago, alison said:

Well, I wonder whether Campbell will continue doing his Lescauts, or whether he'll be pulled from those?  Could be confusing, dancing 2 separate major roles in the same run of the ballet.

He was known as the Boy Wonder when he was at BRB!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, alison said:

Oh dear.  I shouldn't have asked, should I?  Well, I wonder whether Campbell will continue doing his Lescauts, or whether he'll be pulled from those?  Could be confusing, dancing 2 separate major roles in the same run of the ballet.

I don't see why, noting the number of ladies who dance Nikiya and Gamzatti in the same run.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, alison said:

Didn't Mukhamedov use to dance both?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Dowell and Wall danced both roles, and Acosta certainly did Lescaut in 2014 (not sure if he was still dancing Des Grieux by then)...

Yes, he was Des Grieux to Osipova's Manon in 2014.

• Like 1

True enough.  I'm not sure whether any of those performances actually overlapped, though, as Campbell's will do.  Still, I suppose if in doubt look down and see what you're wearing, and that should be ample to remind you which it is - unlike in Onegin, where you have to remember whether Tatiana wears the blue, otherwise identical, dress or the green, which is what I was thinking of :)

• 2 weeks later...

I fear I may be losing my memory (or marbles!) but I could have sworn that when I booked for the Obsidian Tear/ Marguerite & Armand/ Elite Syncopations triple bill for 2nd May, William Bracewell was listed as a principal performer in Obsidian Tear alongside Lukas Bjorneboe Braendsrod. Looking at the production page now it seems as though Benjamin Ella is cast instead. I don’t recall seeing any notice about a change to the casting - is anyone aware if it was always Benjamin Ella cast and I was mistaken thinking otherwise? 

Edited by Riva
Clarity

Never fear, Riva - your marbles are exactly where they should be :)  It's down in black (or something) and white in the Summer booking brochure.  I guess taking over the Watson role in the first cast meant he couldn't do the other one.

• Like 1

Does anyone know whether Valentino Zucchetti is sufficiently fit yet to be dancing Lescaut tomorrow?  There's nothing on the website about a change yet, although I believe he didn't dance in whichever rehearsal featured tomorrow matinee's cast.

Edit: sorry, that's the second time I've been convinced it was Wednesday today!  I meant Thursday matinee.

From Valentino Zucchetti's Facebook page:

"I can finally confirm that next Thursday I will be coming back onto The Royal Opera House stage after 3 moths off dancing ,due to injury.

I couldn’t be happier to come back with one of my all time favourite roles, Lescaut in our current run of Manon along side debutant Meaghan Grace Hinkis ,as my mistress ,and Melissa Hamilton and Nehemiah Kish as Manon and Des Grieux."

edited to check if it's OK to quote directly from Facebook. If not, will moderators please edit. Thanks.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2