Royal Ballet Spring 2018 Casting

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, buflesse said:

I’m torn between Osipova/Hallberg/Naghdi and Hayward/Watson/Campbell...thoughts? 

Just to put a different opinion out there I wouldn't put Watson in my top three Des Grieux any more. The RB has many wonderful Manon's and it's hard to choose between most of them but for Des Grieux I'd choose Bonelli, Hallberg, Munti (alphabetical order) however,  if I was restricted to one cast I might just pick Reece Clarke making his debut with Lauren Cuthbertson. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, annamk said:

Just to put a different opinion out there I wouldn't put Watson in my top three Des Grieux any more.

I'm guessing you saw his first two performances, which clashed with the Mariinsky, then?  Bearing in mind that Watson was off for foot surgery shortly after his last two, and that I thought something was a bit "off" with him in both those performances, I'm not sure how much to base my assessment on them - hence my comment about wanting him to be fully fit this time.  OTOH, because of the time between performances, he will of course be 3+ years older, and that may make a difference.  I really regret that he had to miss his second run of performances due to injury :(

1 hour ago, alison said:

I'm guessing you saw his first two performances, which clashed with the Mariinsky, then?  Bearing in mind that Watson was off for foot surgery shortly after his last two, and that I thought something was a bit "off" with him in both those performances, I'm not sure how much to base my assessment on them - hence my comment about wanting him to be fully fit this time.  OTOH, because of the time between performances, he will of course be 3+ years older, and that may make a difference.  I really regret that he had to miss his second run of performances due to injury :(

When was that, Alison?

4 hours ago, nycitybird said:

The casting of Manon is a real problem in that I don't think I've ever wanted to see so many casts!

Ditto! I'm going to have to restrict myself to one live plus the cinema - an almost impossible choice! :o

• Like 1

I remember the good old days when I had more money and less mobility problems and could happily see several casts in a run. Now, my resources, both monetary and physical, are less, and we have more marvellous dancers than ever before! Choosing which cast/casts to see is extremely difficult. What's a girl to do?

• Like 9

10 hours ago, alison said:

I was thinking of his 2014 performance with Hayward but I probably also saw him in 2008 with Mara Galeazzi. 

12 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

When was that, Alison?

Erm, sometime between his first and third scheduled runs? :)  Can't remember the year, but it was April and he and Leanne Benjamin were first cast (and didn't get cast in the autumn run later that year).  He was replaced by Steven McRae.  It was the year of the Gruesome Bicep Injury - and I'd guess it was an odd-numbered year, because I think I ended up going to a biannual (or do I mean biennial?) conference I'd said there was no way I was going to because I'd have to miss one of his Manons.  I don't think he and Benjamin actually ever managed to dance it together: I remember they were supposed to dance some of it in Louisiana but couldn't get there because of the Icelandic Volcano Troubles, and she ended up partnerless in the first run after he was promoted to Principal and I had my fingers crossed ... but I think they switched Bonelli in instead.  I'm pretty sure he's done more performances of the ballet on tour than he has at the ROH!

Anna, I was assuming you'd seen the 2008(?) performances, since your phrasing rather suggested that he had been in your top 3 but was no longer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alison said:

Erm, sometime between his first and third scheduled runs? :)  Can't remember the year, but it was April and he and Leanne Benjamin were first cast (and didn't get cast in the autumn run later that year).  He was replaced by Steven McRae.  It was the year of the Gruesome Bicep Injury - and I'd guess it was an odd-numbered year, because I think I ended up going to a biannual (or do I mean biennial?) conference I'd said there was no way I was going to because I'd have to miss one of his Manons.  I don't think he and Benjamin actually ever managed to dance it together: I remember they were supposed to dance some of it in Louisiana but couldn't get there because of the Icelandic Volcano Troubles, and she ended up partnerless in the first run after he was promoted to Principal and I had my fingers crossed ... but I think they switched Bonelli in instead.  I'm pretty sure he's done more performances of the ballet on tour than he has at the ROH!

Anna, I was assuming you'd seen the 2008(?) performances, since your phrasing rather suggested that he had been in your top 3 but was no longer.

Thank you for that, Alison.  I saw him with Hayward and thought they were superb  together

Can I digress slightly, and ask whether people who would normally have been sent a booking brochure for the Spring period have received one yet?  I haven't, and it's not that far off public booking now.  I know I got my neighbour's post once in the last week, which suggests that mine may have gone next door, and if the wrong neighbours got hold of it they may well not have bothered returning it.  I'm also missing my TV Licence notice, and only realised because I got an email reminder the other day, so I'm a bit concerned.

2 hours ago, alison said:

Can I digress slightly, and ask whether people who would normally have been sent a booking brochure for the Spring period have received one yet?  I haven't, and it's not that far off public booking now.  I know I got my neighbour's post once in the last week, which suggests that mine may have gone next door, and if the wrong neighbours got hold of it they may well not have bothered returning it.  I'm also missing my TV Licence notice, and only realised because I got an email reminder the other day, so I'm a bit concerned.

No, I haven't received mine.  My friend has.  God knows what's going on.

I rang roh office and queried where my booklet was and they claimed that they did not send them out and had not done so for several years - were they telling me lies?? I always received the booklet in time to browse before public booking So I phoned to ask where mine was - about 6 months ago - porky pie time methinks if you guys are still receiving them through the post - people who live far from London should be given priority to receive this information as it is much harder and more expensive for them to pop in and collect one. I think I may try another phone call...

1 minute ago, jules_skichick said:

I rang roh office and queried where my booklet was and they claimed that they did not send them out and had not done so for several years - were they telling me lies?? I always received the booklet in time to browse before public booking So I phoned to ask where mine was - about 6 months ago - porky pie time methinks if you guys are still receiving them through the post - people who live far from London should be given priority to receive this information as it is much harder and more expensive for them to pop in and collect one. I think I may try another phone call...

So they don't send them out anymore?  Since when and why have two of my friends got them?

The booking brochure - the square one you can pick up in the foyers.  Usually with a letter trying to persuade you to go to 3 operas you had no intention of going to :)

And they definitely sent me one this time, if not the time before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

The booking brochure - the square one you can pick up in the foyers.  Usually with a letter trying to persuade you to go to 3 operas you had no intention of going to :)

And they definitely sent me one this time, if not the time before.

Ah, OK.  I see "booking brochure" and think "Friends' magazine" because that IS my booking brochure...

22 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

So they don't send them out anymore?  Since when and why have two of my friends got them?

Obviously depends who you are - I phoned and asked specifically for one about 6 months ago and they said not sent out now - either they were lying to me or can't be bothered to send info to an address in South Wales??? Always hot them when I lived in Guildford......... Figure that??

4 hours ago, jules_skichick said:

Obviously depends who you are - I phoned and asked specifically for one about 6 months ago and they said not sent out now - either they were lying to me or can't be bothered to send info to an address in South Wales??? Always hot them when I lived in Guildford......... Figure that??

They are sent to me in Liverpool and I have never asked for them!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Alison - having had to relinquish the great seat to which I had treated myself for the Hayward/Watson matinee in order to attend a friend's wedding, I've now been able to divert the resulting funds to a decent seat for a previously sold-out Osipova/Hallberg performance for which I'd previously only had a mediocre standing ticket.

• Like 2