Royal Ballet Spring 2018 Casting

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet Spring 2018 Casting
3 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Looks very much like 'give everyone a go' season!  Still the rest of the Spring programme hardly amounts to anything for RB.  Wonder why that is?

Because booking for the season is front loaded.  There were  3 full lengths in the "autumn" period that run through to the middle of January!

• Like 1

I would have loved to have seen Naghdi/Ball on the list as well.   Ah well, I hope that their omission is because they will be preparing for Swan Lake.....  

But some interesting casting;  can't wait for Bonelli/Morera, Hayward/Watson and Osipova/Hallberg!  Lamb/Muntagirov were fab last time so fingers crossed it works as well again this time.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I would have loved to have seen Naghdi/Ball on the list as well.   Ah well, I hope that their omission is because they will be preparing for Swan Lake.....  

Fingers crossed for Swan Lake!

There are 8 Manon casts, it would have been a bit of a squeeze to get Naghdi/Ball in there too. 

At least we get to see her as Mistress in the Osipova/Hallberg cast :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Off topic but prompted by the inclusion of Bolle and Hallberg: Salenko seems to have fallen off the list of guest principals.

Literally, as I don't see Salenko listed as guest principal anymore.

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/the-royal-ballet/dancers

She is a lovely dancer but with young Principals Takada, Naghdi, Hayward needing to be given roles alongside the already established principals it doesn't make much sense for the RB to hire a guest principal.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Nina G. said:

Fingers crossed for Swan Lake!

There are 8 Manon casts, it would have been a bit of a squeeze to get Naghdi/Ball in there too. 

At least we get to see her as Mistress in the Osipova/Hallberg cast :) 

I guess it is also easier to give the roles to dancers who have done it before, what with the Swan Lake circumstances.....maybe too much for 'newbies' to learn two full-length narrative ballets in not much time.  I am, of course, being positive here and assuming that Naghdi/Ball will be doing it!!  :)   There are a couple of 'newbies' in Manon, but I suppose it's easier just to teach it to one or two than to several.  And maybe they have covered the roles even if they haven't danced them?  Thinking of Reece and Akane here;  not sure if they have performed the roles before?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, annamk said:

Interesting that the RB feels the need to invite 2 male guest principals ..... Bolle, talent though he was, at 42 is surely past his prime for a role like Des Grieux ? 

I can sort of see the logic with Hallberg, who has been Osipova's favourite partner since she was at ABT, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I think all the male principals on the home team are already involved as either DG or Lescaut except Soares, so I guess it's just a function of having so many casts! Nunez and Bolle are an established partnership at least. 

• Like 1

Nooooooo! Too many amazing casts, I'll never be able to choose between the Manon dates! 

Am thrilled however to see Matthew Ball cast as Armand - think it's a role that will really suit him. 

I dont understand the casting for Elite Syncopations. I've never seen the piece before, but notice that only one male and female dancer are listed, but didn't we see three female performers rehearse during World Ballet Day?

I understand why, but do get a bit frustrated that we only know limited casting before turning up on the day to see a detailed cast sheet. When given the choice between one principal cast and another, I might like to book a particular date becasuse Yuhui Choe/Matthew Ball/Reece Clarke/a.n.other are performing a supporting role. Ah well. I should be grateful for what info I can get! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheaG said:

Manon casting is now up on the ROH website.

so pleased to see Bonelli and Morera cast together after their sensational Mayerling!

So pleased that other people who missed their only performance 2(?) runs back will now have the opportunity to catch up with what I trust will still be an excellent pairing.  Almost more pleased about that than about the Watson/Hayward pairing :)

• Like 2

I'd suspected as much - it was just that you sounded surprised, and I wondered if Lescaut casting hadn't been announced early enough last time (in fact, I don't think it was - I remember Acosta's Lescauts not being announced until late on, so I assume it was the same for all the others too)