ENB - Autumn Tour 2017 casting (Akram Khan's Giselle, Song/Sylphide, R&J)

The Khan Giselle casting for all venues is now on the ENB website:

https://www.ballet.org.uk/production/akram-khan-giselle/#cast-section

Just discovered the link doesn't take you straight to the casting page.  You have to click on 'see casting for all dates'

I've now pasted the casting below:

Liverpool Empire, Wed 25 October 2017, 7.30pm

Tamara Rojo

Giselle

James Streeter

Albrecht

Liverpool Empire, Sat 28 October 2017, 7.30pm

Tamara Rojo

Giselle

James Streeter

Albrecht

Liverpool Empire, Sat 28 October 2017, 2.30pm

Fernanda Oliveira

Giselle

Fernando Bufalá

Albrecht

Liverpool Empire, Fri 27 October 2017, 7.30pm

Erina Takahashi

Giselle

Aitor Arrieta

Albrecht

Liverpool Empire, Thu 26 October 2017, 7.30pm

Fernanda Oliveira

Giselle

Fernando Bufalá

Albrecht

Liverpool Empire, Thu 26 October 2017, 2pm

Crystal Costa

Giselle

Aitor Arrieta

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Wed 20 September 2017, 7.30pm

Tamara Rojo

Giselle

James Streeter

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Thu 21 September 2017, 2pm

Fernanda Oliveira

Giselle

Fernando Bufalá

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Thu 21 September 2017, 7.30pm

Erina Takahashi

Giselle

Isaac Hernández

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Fri 22 September 2017, 2.00pm (NB website has 7.30pm but this must be a typo)

Crystal Costa

Giselle

Aitor Arrieta

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Fri 22 September 2017, 7.30pm

Tamara Rojo

Giselle

James Streeter

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Sat 23 September 2017, 2.30pm

Fernanda Oliveira

Giselle

Fernando Bufalá

Albrecht

Sadler's Wells, Sat 23 September 2017, 7.30pm

Erina Takahashi

Giselle

Isaac Hernández

Albrecht

Edited by Bluebird

Corrales' manic performance, hyper charged from the start, is quite extraordinary, but the slightly sinister presence that Chacon brings works well too.  I think the role is so brilliantly conceived that in years to come we will admire a lot of subtly different interpretations of Hilarion.  I didn't book in advance in case some interesting casting was announced: it was.  Can't wait to see Crystal Costa in the role, despite a couple of slight technical deficiencies, her traditional Giselle was one of the most convincing I've ever seen and I've a feeling Khan's version will fit her like a glove.

• Like 2

I agree that Chacon was very good in the role: very different from Corrales but equally effective. As MAB says, he played Hilarion as a rather sinister character (you wondered what else he was involved in) whereas Corrales was more of a wide boy on the make with a ruthlessness and propensity for violence if his interests were threatened. Is anyone else cast as Hilarion?

Does anyone know who is dancing Myrthe in this run? I assume that Quagebeur is not going to dance in all seven (back-to-back) performances at Sadler's Wells next week! 

I'm taking a friend next week. She's not a ballet regular and I'll be interested to see what she makes of it.

• Like 4

Press Release for Sadler's Wells casting:

English National Ballet 
Akram Khan’s Giselle 
Sadler’s Wells, London 
Wednesday 20 - Saturday 23 September 2017  

★★★★ “Earthbound, visceral, feral and intense, and moulded with a sculptural beauty” 
The Times

Following its critically acclaimed world premiere in 2016, Akram Khan’s reimagining of the iconic romantic ballet, Giselle, returns to London this autumn with performances at Sadler’s Wells (20 - 23 September) and tours to Liverpool for the first time, at the Liverpool Empire Theatre (25 - 28 October). 

Hailed as “a masterpiece of 21st century dance” (Mail on Sunday), Khan’s Giselle is one of a community of migrant workers cast out of their jobs in a condemned garment factory. Since its world premiere last year, Khan’s reimagined Giselle has been seen by over 40,000 people in the UK, won the 2017 South Bank Sky Arts Award for Best Dance Production and was nominated for Best New Dance Production at the 2017 Olivier Awards. 

Principal casting for the run at Sadler’s Wells sees debuts from Lead Principal Erina Takahashi and First Soloist Crystal Costa in the role of Giselle. Guest Artist Jeffrey Ciriomakes his debut with English National Ballet in the role of Hilarion, and Artist of the Company Sarah Kundi, winner of the 2017 Corps de Ballet Award, makes her debut in the role of Myrtha. 

Further Principal casting sees Lead Principals Fernanda Oliveira and Tamara Rojoperform in the role of Giselle, while Lead principal Isaac Hernández, First SoloistFernando Bufalá, and Soloists Aitor Arrieta, and James Streeter perform in the role of Albrecht. 

Recently promoted to Principal, Cesar Corrales reprises his role as Hilarion, along with Guest Artist Oscar Chacon, and Soloist Ken Saruhashi. First Artist Stina Quagebeurreprises her role as Myrtha. 

Full Principal Casting 

Sadler’s Wells, London 
Principal casting, in the order of Giselle, Albrecht, Hilarion, and Myrtha.  
Casting is subject to change. Please see www.ballet.org.uk for up to date casting. 

Wednesday 20 September (Press Night)
Tamara Rojo, James Streeter, Cesar Corrales, Stina Quagebeur  

Thursday 21 September (matinee) 
Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Bufalá, Jeffrey Cirio*, Sarah Kundi*

Thursday 21 September (evening) 
Erina Takahashi*, Isaac Hernández, Oscar Chacon, Stina Quagebeur  

Friday 22 September (matinee) 
Crystal Costa*, Aitor Arrieta, Ken Saruhashi, Sarah Kundi  

Friday 22 September (evening) 
Tamara Rojo, James Streeter, Cesar Corrales, Stina Quagebeur  

Saturday 23 September (matinee) 
Fernanda Oliveira, Fernando Bufalá, Jeffrey Cirio, Sarah Kundi

Saturday 23 September (evening) 
Erina Takahashi, Isaac Hernández, Oscar Chacon, Stina Quagebeur 

*debut in role 

Following its London run, Akram Khan’s Giselle tours to the Liverpool Empire from 25 - 28 October 2017. From 1 - 4 March it headlines the Auckland Arts Festival with performances at the ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre, Auckland, New Zealand, and from 2 – 6 May 2018 it opens the 2018 Dublin Dance Festival at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre, Dublin. 

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk. Please note performance details are subject to change.

Notes to Editors 

Co-produced by Manchester International Festival and Sadler’s Wells.

Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England. 

To coincide with these performances English National Ballet presents Giselle Explored, a series of collaborative dance workshops that offer secondary school students the opportunity to creatively engage with Khan’s reimagined Giselle, delving deeper into the work and both the creative and production process. Teachers also receive a comprehensive resource pack to encourage further dance and creative work with their students beyond the workshop. English National Ballet has partnered with Queens Theatre, Hornchurch, to deliver workshops in the East London Borough of Havering, and will also work with schools in Tower Hamlets and Liverpool.  
  • Like 1

And lots more have appeared this morning. It looks as if ticket allocations have just been returned and I suspect that it's too late to sell them in full. It's ridiculous when most of the performances have been shown as sold out for months. I do think that ENB / Sadler's Wells  need to look at the ticketing policy as this is an unsatisfactory practice.

• Like 5

I might go again I that case. Saw the full stage rehearsal last night, with a great cast of Rojo, Streeter, Corrales, Quagebeur. Stina fits the Myrtha role like a glove; aside her great characterisation, I think even her natural physical geometry and willowy looks are just made for this part! Corrales was spectacular too.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I shall have to, as I had to return my ticket :(

I agree with aileen that if these returns are agency ones or group bookings (as I suspect, since there are no cheap ones) it's very disappointing that they should happen right at the last minute when the programme has been sold out all year, I think?  Tough for some people to make arrangements/fit in a performance at such short notice, I'd guess.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, alison said:

Unfortunately, I shall have to, as I had to return my ticket :(

I agree with aileen that if these returns are agency ones or group bookings (as I suspect, since there are no cheap ones) it's very disappointing that they should happen right at the last minute when the programme has been sold out all year, I think?  Tough for some people to make arrangements/fit in a performance at such short notice, I'd guess.

Besides which in general if you see that a performance or run of performances is 'sold out', you believe that to be the case and assume you won't be able to go. How many people in the last year have tried/wanted to book for this and gone away disappointed?

• Like 4

I would have thought that with such popular performances, ENB would have no need to go to Ticket Agencies.  And, if they really feel they have to offer them some, then they should be on a non-returnable basis.  I tried for months to get some and then got a couple of returns a few weeks back, but I have friends who have given up, and also two friends who have purchased, at extra expense, from a secondary ticketing agency.  They need to sort this out as unless you are in London, it is unlikely you can make arrangements to attend at such short notice.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Besides which in general if you see that a performance or run of performances is 'sold out', you believe that to be the case and assume you won't be able to go. How many people in the last year have tried/wanted to book for this and gone away disappointed?

Or those who have been told it's sold out so have made other arrangements and couldn't go now even if they wanted to?  

• Like 2

This is ridiculous.  Now 50-odd tickets for each of today's and tomorrow's matinee are showing up.  I wonder how many people are going to be able to just take an afternoon out and go at such short notice?  If these *are* agency/group booking returns, then surely they ought to be returned to the theatre say 7 days before the performance, to give people a chance?  If not all the tickets are sold, presumably it's ENB which doesn't benefit.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, alison said:

This is ridiculous.  Now 50-odd tickets for each of today's and tomorrow's matinee are showing up.  I wonder how many people are going to be able to just take an afternoon out and go at such short notice?  If these *are* agency/group booking returns, then surely they ought to be returned to the theatre say 7 days before the performance, to give people a chance?  If not all the tickets are sold, presumably it's ENB which doesn't benefit.

Wow, that really is silly - how on earth can that many weekday matinee tickets be sold at a few hours' notice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Looking at the tickets that are available, they don't look like they would have been agency tickets to me.  More likely tickets held back by ENB themselves.

I checked with ENB and was told that the tickets were not from their allocation and that they had been released by Sadler's Wells.

Well, that suggests that they are tickets held back for Sadler's Wells patrons / major donors. It's still ridiculous to release them so late. I would have preferred a better ticket for last night's performance but it was too late to take advantage of Sadler's Wells generous exchange policy. 

A totally ridiculous situation.  Does SW or anyone else say something like "the currently available tickets have sold out but we may well be releasing more in the week before the performances so please keep checking the website or with the box office" ?  If they don't....THEY SHOULD!!  

• Like 3