I love a nice cup of tea, and when I go to the ballet at the ROH, I like one there too. But I never get one! Considering the generally high quality of their comestibles, why, when I ask for a cup of tea, do I get a small thick earthenware cup (last seen in a British Rail buffet circa 1970) with a teabag plonked in some lukewarm water (from a flask) with a sugar cube slowly dissolving on the side, and a DIY milk affair? For £2.10? And when I had the temerity to ask for a refill of said lukewarm water on my dangling tea bag, I was told this was not allowed. I know, I know, what can you expect when you've only paid £100 for a ticket?!

• Like 12

Total rip off. Not to even refill a bit of hot water that's lousy. And what really annoys me wherever you are is that the tea bag takes up space so when you take it out you have half a cup of liquid. I drink tea black so even more reason to fill up! Likewise ice in cold drinks robs you of what drink you paid for if it's from a Syphon.

• Like 7

I quite agree.  The days when the ROH bar was the cheapest bar I ever found in a theatre have sadly long gone.

If you are supposed to be in a quality venue paying high prices for the privilege (I am talking about the catering prices here) then the least they could do is give you value for money.

• Like 4

I never eat or drink anything at the ROH unless:

I've brought it in myself;

It's the free tap water from the jugs on the bars;

Someone kindly buys me a drink (or, in one case, dinner in the Crush Bar)

• Like 5

I wouldn't bother with refreshments at the ROH again, although it used to be a nice little treat and an opportunity to relax after travelling to see a performance. I don't know if they have a high staff turnover but the last time I wasn't impressed with the service, the prices or product quality.

I asked for black coffee and a slice of cake. The coffee was presented in a cup just half full and I had to ask that it be topped up to a reasonable level.

We managed to put it all together eventually - a satisfactorily filled cup of coffee, on a saucer with a spoon even if the customer is not having milk, a slice of cake on a plate with a fork and paper napkin. All on a tray, so I could carry it to a table. I really wouldn't expect to have to ask for what is surely basic customer service in what as far as I know is not a self service canteen. If they can't manage that, don't expect a tip or a return visit.

• Like 8

There is so much local competition on the doorstep - La Ballerina, Paul and Valerie to name three. Do wonder if ROH might consider contracting out?

Brings back memories of pre refurbishment and how folk would picnic on the stairs from the foyer to the grand tier, including Sir Colin Davis and his family (for Nutcracker?).

• Like 2

When I was there last August, I saw a mouse near the stairs in the Paul Hamlyn Hall. It definitely put me off my sandwich. It probably has something to do with the building works but I certainly won't be eating there again until the works are complete :o

• Like 1

It wasn't performing in Nutcracker, was it? :D

Also, what am I supposed to do with the teabag? I put it in the saucer and used the cup without one. Next time I shall flick it back over the bar!

I asked for a teabag receptacle and eventually they came up with a paper  napkin.  By the time they came up with that the tea was brewed so I put the teabag on the napkin and left it on the bar!

• Like 1

No, Searcys went about four years ago.  The 'new' ones are not as good

Searcys' staff were terrific. Fast, accurate. They greeted you with a smile, a kind word or seven, such as: 'lovely to see you here again tonight' and relaxed conversation. The current lot are better in the amphi bar than the Paul Hamlyn Hall where the staff, for the most part, are indifferent, grumpy or downright unhelpful. On one occasion, when someone else had helped themselves to the drinks that my friends and I had ordered, we asked three ambulant members of staff for help and they all declined and pointed us in the direction of the three-deep queue at the bar. I caught the attention of one of the staff, who said she would help then promptly turned away to serve four other customers. Finally I located the manager, who replaced our drinks just as the final bell was ringing, which meant all that we had time for was a sip then back to our seats

Searcys' staff were terrific. Fast, accurate. They greeted you with a smile, a kind word or seven, such as: 'lovely to see you here again tonight' and relaxed conversation. The current lot are better in the amphi bar than the Paul Hamlyn Hall where the staff, for the most part, are indifferent, grumpy or downright unhelpful. On one occasion, when someone else had helped themselves to the drinks that my friends and I had ordered, we asked three ambulant members of staff for help and they all declined and pointed us in the direction of the three-deep queue at the bar. I caught the attention of one of the staff, who said she would help then promptly turned away to serve four other customers. Finally I located the manager, who replaced our drinks just as the final bell was ringing, which meant all that we had time for was a sip then back to our seats

I agree.  Have had two bad meals in the Ampitheatre restaurant in the past year and am now going elsewhere.  It was a bad move.

I have absolutely definitely seen a mouse dart across the Paul Hamlyn Hall.  Just the one though.  At the Coliseum I've come face to face with them in the auditorium on numerous occasions.

Things I *do* like about the ROH catering:

1) the little bowls of hot pasta they sell for £5 at daytime Dress Rehearsals

2) the house rosé wine, since about 18 months ago they had a supply problem with the nasty dark-pink one they used to serve, started selling a nice pale peach one instead, and never reverted.  At £7.55 for a 250ml glass (same price as the house red and white, I think)  that's better than other Central London performance venues and wine bars.

But for coffee or snacks it's Benugo on the corner of Bow Street and Long Acre.

I confine myself to water (and ice cream!) at the Opera House so haven't had any of these problems, but have those who have passed them on to ROH management? They should.

I have contacted the ROH a couple of times, regarding catering related poor customer service and found their response on both occasions to be wholly inadequate. No attempt made to address my concerns, just advising me that my comments would be passed on to the relevant department and then no follow up.

Perhaps I should have been more confrontational in my approach. But I prefer good manners, even when they are not reciprocated.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 5

I have absolutely definitely seen a mouse dart across the Paul Hamlyn Hall.  Just the one though.  At the Coliseum I've come face to face with them in the auditorium on numerous occasions.

Aren't there any more Theatre Cats in London? Like, e.g. Gus?

• Like 2

To be strictly fair, I had an excellent meal in the Amphitheatre restaurant a year ago, and the staff were charming.

But I have given up on the Floral Hall since they revamped it. Even if I am down in the posh seats, I always go up to the amphitheatre bar.  It is a nicer atmosphere, and better service as well. But I have never ordered tea or coffee there.  Alcohol or nothing, as far as I am concerned!

• Like 3

The modest cafe at the end of my small street asks £2.20-!!! for a cup of ordinary tea , and last time it was served to me in a cup with no extras at all- I did go and ask for a top-up which was not met with any enthusiasm.

So it isn't just ROH. I rather feel we tea drinkers are subsidising the current coffee mania.

I have had a few very nice dinners in the ROH in the past on special occasions, been well looked after and fed,  and not encountered the bad experiences others report: what a shame- these should be taken up with the management, definitely. Could it be a consequence of all the current building and disruption? It must be making life difficult. That's no excuse, but might be one explanation- but  they do need to provide a first-class experience for all.