Bolshoi Ballet summer season, London 2016 announced

So, let me get this straight.  To see Osipova dance, I now have to wait until a foreign ballet company visits ROH where this Royal Ballet Principal will perform at super-inflated prices?  Sorry, but it seems rum to me.

I see nothing 'rum' at all in a dancer giving a few performances with a company that taught her, nurtured her and gave her the opportunities to become the outstanding dancer that she is today.

'Foreign' ballet company?  I prefer the term visiting.

• Like 13

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let me get this straight.  To see Osipova dance, I now have to wait until a foreign ballet company visits ROH where this Royal Ballet Principal will perform at super-inflated prices?  Sorry, but it seems rum to me.

Or you could catch her in Rhapsody, Giselle or the new Wheeldon with the RB. Despite cancellations, that's still more than Marquez and Yanowsky have upcoming. With so much opportunity with to see Osipova in London, I'd rather see the other Bolshoi talents in July anyway.

• Like 5

I have seen Bolshoi's Taming of the Shrew in St Petersburg (as a part of the Dance Open Festival) and that is very different from the Cranko version. 

There is no signs of misogyny shown in the original story, very modern, stylish but passionate and sometimes a bit sensual. I loved it.  

And it is very enjoyable. The dancers featured in this production are excellent. 

• Like 6

Whilst I also don't like stumping up the cost of Bolshoi tickets either, they are the 'going rate'. We are somewhat spoiled at the RB prices, as they are subsidised a bit, which allows us to get the sub-£10 standing places for example (often more like £18 for the Russian visits). Also, as others have said, Ms Osipova is down to dance a fair bit in the spring schedule, where we can all enjoy her performances -  and at lower cost too!  :-)

• Like 2

The live screenings have provided a wonderful opportunity to have a look at some of these dancers and get to know a few of them which makes their arrival in reality even more exciting- Zhakarova, Alexandrova, Rodkin, Chudin, Krysanova, Smirnova, Lantratov- really exceptional dancers by anyone's standards and I will be happy, delighted, to save up to see them- can't wait. ....it's a lot easier than going to Moscow ( where I may never go...)

• Like 5

I understand from colleagues that my post late last night (No 36, above), whilst garnering Likes from some, has caused offence to others.  That was not my intention and, where applicable, I apologise.  That said, those of us who help run this Forum are no less entitled to express views within the bounds of our Acceptable Use Policy than are other Forum members.  However, if in this case a degree of unwonted vehemence has crept in, let me re-phrase things to say that, personally, I'd be happy were a temporary moratorium to emerge here on the matter of Ms Osipova.  Whether it does will be a matter for users generally.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  You good folk out there, it seems.... I fear that my Latin will no longer quite stretch to rendering that reply appropriately.

• Like 15

Well I am very excited about the Bolshoi visit and the opportunity to see all the dancers. I do hope Obraztsova will be coming as I would love to see her again, as well as some of the younger dancers. I missed Corsaire in 2010 so, having seen the cinema broadcast will be booking for that. I think I will give Swan Lake a miss though. It seems that this may be Sergei Filin's final London tour so I hope it will be memorable for all the right reasons - and not for mishaps and injuries!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Very very disappointed to see on ROH website today that there is no midweek or Saturday matinee of Don Quixote. Don Q I feel is preferable to the Bolshoi's Swan Lake. This will now necessitate a costly overnight stay and time off work if I decide to go (and if I have a new job by then). I know you can't please all the people all the time but as this DonQ is, IMHO, the definitive version I'm really unhappy. I'm not that fussed on any of the other ballets they're bringing this time, seems such a shame.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  You good folk out there, it seems.... I fear that my Latin will no longer quite stretch to rendering that reply appropriately.

'nil carborundum illegitimi' would be my advice, Ian  :D

Back to the Bolshoi.  I will certainly scrape out my wallet to see Zakharova again, and would dearly love to see Smirnova, which may involve auctioning a spare kidney.  I don't think Obraztsova is down to come, which is a shame, as I find her a beautifully expressive dancer with minimal flashiness.

• Like 2

Agree it is another shame if Obratsova doesn't come.  Hopefully I will get to see Shipulina with Lantratov and maybe Alexandrova and Smirnova, those are the ones I would ideally like to see this time, we just need casting now - I assume as booking to general public is early April they may announce provisional casting shortly before then, although ROH Friends booking is March (!!) and Hochhauser usually have a priority booking for subscribers before general as well. Based on past experience and barring injury I would imagine Zakharova would open the tour with the first DonQ, but who knows....

For your information, there is a gala in Japan this July by the impresario Japan Arts, which Zakharova, Lopatkina, Lobuhin, Ferri, Cornejo, Gomes and Ananiashivilli will participate, dates are July 23-27 and I believe this overlaps a little with the Bolshoi summer tour Don Quixote.

https://www.japanarts.co.jp/concert/concert_detail.php?id=390

• Like 2

As Osipova is guesting I would have thought she would open with Don Q (I'm still nurturing faint hopes that Mr Vasiliv will partner her for at least one Don Q and/or Flames. They were sensational together last time). I'm hoping she does a couple of performances of both as both my husband and myself would like to see her but we can't go together because of elderly dogs!

• Like 3

The latest ROH Friends magazine does give a list of prices for the Bolshoi visit, but does not map these onto the seating plan. The prices are just given as a list, it appears to be the same for all productions. . 

£135, £120, £105, £90, £77, £63, £55, £48, £34, £25, £20, £15, £10. 

• Like 1

The latest ROH Friends magazine does give a list of prices for the Bolshoi visit, but does not map these onto the seating plan. The prices are just given as a list, it appears to be the same for all productions. . 

That's £4 - £8 increase across any given price band from from the most expensive RB production this season (R&J). To be expected (and still relatively cheap to any opera frequenter)

Edited by pasdedeux

So it'll be back of the Amphi with a pair of powerful binoculars then, a combination that worked well for me last time to catch Zakharova in Swan Lake - and she was stunning.  

I'd better get saving, I have a feeling it's going to feel expensive! I don't know whether to choose based on the show or the dancers though, what would be the top pick to see? I don't know all that much about the Bolshoi other than I definitely want to see them!

Well taste is a very individual thing. However I would guess most people would see the Don Q. as a signature piece for the current Bolshoi with Le Corsaire in a similar but slightly lesser vein. The other thing you might want to consider is the rarity of the the ballets. Flames of Paris & this version of Taming of the Shrew don't turn up in London all that often and might not again for some time, if ever. The Bolshoi Swan Lake isn't that well regarded in the UK but that doesn't stop them bringing it every time.

Edited by RMM1
  • Like 1

That's £4 - £8 increase across any given price band from from the most expensive RB production this season (R&J). To be expected (and still relatively cheap to any opera frequenter)

Is it not the Hochhausers who bring the Bolshoi over and set the prices?

If I could only see one ballet I'd be going for a bravura one like Don Q or Corsaire - get as much bang for my buck as I could.

On the subject of Don Q it seems this will be a new version (it better be as good as the old one) I saw a tweet naming the principal pairings for the new Don Q - which will be the one shown in the cinema too in April.

I think as far as Osipova goes it will be Polunin not Vasiliev she dances with.

The tweet named the following couples for the new Don Quixote:-

Alexandrova/Lantratov 

Kaptsova/Chudin

Shipulina Lobukhin

Tikhomirova/Ovcharenko

Zakharova/Rodkin

Osipova/Polunin

• Like 4

see my post #47 above.

I don't think the post numbers show up on mobile? Unless I'm missing it somewhere (always probable) :-)

But I think I know what post you're referring too. I just want to start planning. I'll have to be patient! ????

Also my magazine seems to always turn up so much later than others? Still haven't got it... So didn't realise friends booking opened as early as March. Hoping to see Lantratov & Alexandrova in particular.

Any ideas whether taming of the shrew is worth watching? I won't be able to see the upcoming broadcast. No idea what it's like at all, not really familiar with the choreographer.

Interesting to see that Polunin is also guesting! Wasn't going to see don q but now I might have to rethink.

• Like 1

Also my magazine seems to always turn up so much later than others? Still haven't got it... So didn't realise friends booking opened as early as March. Hoping to see Lantratov & Alexandrova in particular.

Any ideas whether taming of the shrew is worth watching? I won't be able to see the upcoming broadcast. No idea what it's like at all, not really familiar with the choreographer.

I think that the ROH probably stages mailings of the magazine depending on the recipients' "booking from" dates.  The date on which you receive it likely relates to the booking deadline for your friend/patron member level.  There is such a wide spread of booking dates that I'm sure it makes sense to stagger the mailings.

There are very substantial chunks of the Bolshoi Taming of the Shrew on YouTube.  If you search "bolshoi taming of the shrew" they will come up.  There is a 33 minute video of a performance posted by "fiordililia n", for example.  There was also 30 minutes or so of footage of the company rehearsing the piece with Maillot himself on World Ballet Day 2014 and the video of that is still up on YouTube (just make sure you get the 2014 one and not last year's) - starting at around 3 hours and 6 minutes in; that is on the Bolshoi's own YouTube channel.

Edited by barton22

I saw Taming of the Shrew at the Dance Open Festival in St Petersburg last April, and enjoyed it a lot. It is not a big ballet (not so many performers on stage) but Maillot made the choreography with focusing on virtuoso technique of the Bolshoi dancers so it is not too modern. And less signs of misogyny seen in the Cranko version.

There are many fabulous pas de deuxs, creativity and comedy, and usage of Shostskovich music was great. Krysanova, Lantratov, Stashkevich and Chudin, Tikhomirova all brilliant. I loved it.

• Like 3