Bolshoi Ballet summer season, London 2016 announced

The Bolshoi Ballet has announced a three-week summer season at the Royal Opera House, London in 2016.

http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/news/item/1875-bolshoi_summer_london_2016

The season opens with Don Quixote from July 25 to 28, followed by Swan Lake (July 30 to August 2, August 8 to 9). The repertory also includes Jean-Christophe Maillot’s The Taming of the Shrew on August 3 and 4 and Alexei Ratmansky’s production of The Flames of Paris on August 5 and 6. The season closes with Le Corsaire, running from August 11 to 13.

Dancers announced for the season include Natalia Osipova, who is appearing as chief guest artist, Maria Alexandrova, Ekaterina Krysanova, Olga Smirnova, Svetlana Zakharova, Semyon Chudin, David Hallberg, Denis Rodkin, Vladislav Lantratov and Ruslan Skvortsov. 

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I shall give them a miss this year.  Last time the prices were outrageous, I didn't enjoy the performances as much as I enjoy RB and the audiences spend their time taking pics and videos and rustling sweets.

Bit shocked to see the Announcement lists Osipova as Principal Guest Artist.  Doesn't this convey regular slots with the Bolshoi?  I wonder how she can do this and still fulfil her commitments to RB, more especially given her injury history.  Once again, I make a plea for Mr. O'Hare to push Naghdi and Hayward onwards and upwards and to find a suitable partner for Francesca.  Of course, what I would really like is for Alina Cojocaru to return.

I didn't get to see Hayward and Golding's R&B but looking at the short film on Reuters, the height difference for me seemed ridiculous and would have somewhat marred my enjoyment.  With Acosta gone and the wonderful Ed Watson not getting any younger, surely RB needs also to review its male Principals?

• Like 2

No Vasiliev???? Won't be the same without him in Don Q and Flames. He and Osipova have danced together recently in modern programmes why not in classical? I suppose you can always hope. They were both electrifying in Flames last time. Fortunately I booked time off work for the beginning of the first week and for the third week so I can cancel my leave for the start of the third week as am not interested in Swan Lake and can manage to see Flames without getting time off work. Don Q and Flames are the two I'm most interested in. I might manage one Corsaire though I'm not at all a fan of their version; I think the Mariinsky's is far better; the brilliant orchestration alone is worth the money. I'm hoping they bring it if they come the following year as they haven't brought it for about 15 years and I've got severe withdrawn symptoms for it. Would have preferred Marco Spada to Corsaire as I've never seen it live. Oh well, still worth getting excited about.

Have they got a day off for Wednesday 10th August? can't see anything scheduled then.

• Like 1

Just realised there is no mention of the wonderful Andre Merkuriev. I hope this is an oversight as I think he is great in Flames and enjoyed his Don Q too. If Vasiliev doesn't come at least the other principals won't always be being compared to him in Flames and Don Q.

• Like 2

Bit shocked to see the Announcement lists Osipova as Principal Guest Artist.  Doesn't this convey regular slots with the Bolshoi?  I wonder how she can do this and still fulfil her commitments to RB, more especially given her injury history.  

We discussed this in the separate thread the other day.

• Like 2

I hope Ekaterina Shipulina is coming too as I really enjoy her dancing.

Sad that opportunity missed to bring Bright Stream, Pharaoh's Daughter, Onegin, La Dame aux Camellias, Marco Spada, Lost Illusions, Ivan the Terrible need I go on?!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 5

Sad that opportunity missed to bring Bright Stream, Pharaoh's Daughter, Onegin, La Dame aux Camellias, Marco Spada, Lost Illusions, Ivan the Terrible need I go on?!

I so agree, DonQ Fan. The same old ballets once again....I think I can safely say that my bank account will remain pretty unscathed when tickets go on sale, although there are some dancers I would love to see. It will depend which ballets they are in, however. :)

• Like 1

Well, I for one am pleased that they are bringing Flames of Paris, with or without Vassiliev - I had to miss it last time round for a work function.  I also haven't ever seen their Don Q, so must give that a go once casting is announced - though ominously I am already double-booked on opening night.

• Like 1

I so agree, DonQ Fan. The same old ballets once again....I think I can safely say that my bank account will remain pretty unscathed when tickets go on sale, although there are some dancers I would love to see. It will depend which ballets they are in, however.  :)

Well, it's not as if we haven't had (or won't have had) the opportunity to see 5 of those in the cinema in the last couple of years or so.  And a few years ago I think people were complaining because we *didn't* get to see Flames of Paris.  Now that's old hat, I suppose.  Personally, I'm disappointed not to see the Little Humpbacked Horse - disappointed, but not surprised.  I suppose it also depends on what's in the current Bolshoi rep and what they can rehearse for a tour.

I was under the impression that the Hochhausers determined the rep brought here rather than the Bolshoi.  I may be wrong.  Also I thought Humped Backed Horse was a Mariinksy ballet rather than Bolshoi?  Whatever I shall just be seeing Don Q and if it's possible to see Smirnova in something that would be the icing on the cake.  Not sure she does Kitri.

I was under the impression that the Hochhausers determined the rep brought here rather than the Bolshoi.  I may be wrong.  Also I thought Humped Backed Horse was a Mariinksy ballet rather than Bolshoi?  Whatever I shall just be seeing Don Q and if it's possible to see Smirnova in something that would be the icing on the cake.  Not sure she does Kitri.

It certainly looks, DonQFan, as if we will be getting the original cast for the SHREW ... which will include Krysanova (Kate), Lantratov (Petruchio), Smirnova (Bianca) and Chudin (Lucentio).  I'm so looking forward to it. :)

I'm only sorry there's no mention of Artem Ovcharenko amongst the principals.  He showed such promise - and lovely partnering - in the Pastoral display in Flames of Paris last time.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

It certainly looks, DonQFan, as if we will be getting the original cast for the SHREW ... which will include Krysanova (Kate), Lantratov (Petruchio), Smirnova (Bianca) and Chudin (Lucentio).  I'm so looking forward to it. :)

I'm only sorry there's no mention of Artem Ovcharenko amongst the principals.  He showed such promise - and lovely partnering - in the Pastoral display in Flames of Paris last time.  

It's still early days. For their visit last time the equivalent publicity didn't include Krysanova but she was cast for a few performances and then a lot more when Alexandrova was injured.

So, let me get this straight.  To see Osipova dance, I now have to wait until a foreign ballet company visits ROH where this Royal Ballet Principal will perform at super-inflated prices?  Sorry, but it seems rum to me.

As far as I was aware Ms Osipova is scheduled to dance several performances with RB in the Spring.

As the RB are presumably on their summer break when the Bolshoi are in residence at the ROH then if she is dancing with the Bolshoi during that period it is just an additional opportunity (if you should take it) to see her.

It is worth noting that there are other dancers with both companies who are well worth the effort of watching too.

• Like 6