Holborn Fire Impacts

The ROH's website says their  telephone booking system is down due to power being cut off in the area.

Kingsway and Holborn tube station have been closed due to an underground electrical fire.

It doesn't say if the ROH itself is still open - other theatres and shops in the area have had to close.  If you're going to the Insights event in the Clore tonight you might want to check.

Linda

Oh dear, still?  Everything was out when I went through earlier, but I was assuming it was something minor.  And it's supposed to be the live broadcast of Mahagonny tonight, too!  Hope they have a usable recording from the other night. 

I know the odds of this are near to close to ZERO but I hope they can reschedule the insight rather than issue refunds.

The lady that rang me sounded doubtful when I asked that question - they seem to be going to issue refunds. If the event then does get rescheduled, you'll have to get a new ticket I guess

I've edited the title to alert more people.

Thanks Alison.  At the time I saw it on the news it was just smoke - now there's flames coming up from the manholes in the street and the damage must be extensive. 

Tough luck for Insight ticket holders - it looked like being a good evening but on the bright side maybe it will be rescheduled.  Must keep a look out for the tickets - was there anything on Twitter about this?  I believe the ROH uses it for short term changes.

Linda

Today's performances at the ROH to go ahead, but the only catering available front of house will be water.

Lots of bus diversions in the area too, not just in the Kingsway area but Westminster Bridge area too, Somerset House is closed down, think I'll stick to the National Gallery this afternoon!

The ROH have provided this link on Twitter:-

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/holborn-fire-update-rise-and-fall-of-the-city-of-mahagonny-to-go-ahead-on-1-april-2015

Despite the reference to Mahagonny, they suggest checking the page for updates on upcoming performances, and I assume that means all - I wonder if tomorrow's Swan Lake will go ahead?

Currently they are planning to go ahead with tonight's performance:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/power-outage-in-holborn-affecting-the-royal-opera-house

From @bbcTravelAlert for those whose budgets are stretched to the breaking point ... regardless what the government might say about the economy (read election) ... and the fact that interest rates are at their lowest level for more than 300 years and have been so for over six years ...

destination due to yesterday's fire incident in Holborn. Bus tickets are currently accepted on London Underground services within Zone 1

Aerial view of the power cut.

That looks quite amazing. The streetlights on Bowstreet were off on one side of the road last night, but other than that you hardly noticed the power cut. It made for an interesting atmosphere at Mahagonny and possibly created some issues with heating - my seat was freezing cold with cold air streaming past from the vents. People that easily get cold might want to bring an extra scarf tonight.

Edited by Coated

From @bbcTravelAlert for those whose budgets are stretched to the breaking point ... regardless what the government might say about the economy (read election) ... and the fact that interest rates are at their lowest level for more than 300 years and have been so for over six years ...

destination due to yesterday's fire incident in Holborn. Bus tickets are currently accepted on London Underground services within Zone 1

Sorry, Bruce, but please can we keep this forum, at least, an election-free zone?

• Like 1

destination due to yesterday's fire incident in Holborn. Bus tickets are currently accepted on London Underground services within Zone 1[/size]

Really not sure what the economy or election has to do with this thread. Please leave the policital remarks off this board, save where they are specifically relevant to dance/ballet.

• Like 3

Really not sure what the economy or election has to do with this thread. Please leave the policital remarks off this board, save where they are specifically relevant to dance/ballet.

I have already said I was happy to do so.  There is no need - at least from my perspective - for the repetition.   

Edited by Bruce Wall

Latest status update:

"As you may be aware there was a serious fire and power outage in Holborn yesterday afternoon. Although this has affected the Royal Opera House, tonight’s performance of Swan Lake will go ahead as scheduled.

Our bars and restaurants will be offering a reduced service with a limited selection of drinks and sandwiches on a cash-only basis.

We will provide further updates throughout the day via the news section of our websiteand on Twitter @RoyalOperaHouse so please do check in with us as often as you can.

Please note that transport has also been affected within the Covent Garden area so please do check before you set off on your journey. 

We look forward to seeing you this evening."

Note particularly the "cash-only basis"

Glad that Mahagonny went ahead as we were watching in the cinema - petty cold in there too, mainly due to the lack of people sadly!! But at least we could get refreshments in the interval unlike the patrons of the ROH who just got water according to the announcement at the start.

"Note particularly the "cash-only basis""

I was in London on Thursday when all the trouble started and went to the Bella Italia at the top of St Martins Lane and they would only accept cash so it must be happening in quite a few places.

I was in London on Thursday when all the trouble started and went to the Bella Italia at the top of St Martins Lane and they would only accept cash so it must be happening in quite a few places.

And how many cash machines were functioning, I wonder?