Holborn Fire Impacts

Do they have any idea how long all this disruption will go on?

I have read that once they get persmission from the health and fire authorities to begin the repairs that it will require digging up much of the Kingsway between Holborn and Aldwych.  Apparently the situation was complicated by the fact that the old tube line (going to the old Strand Station) still is in situ. 

Old Strand station, or Aldwych station?

I believe it was the Strand Station.  You can still see the entrance markings for it on the Strand at the Aldwych.  (It is listed.)  Several times during the London Open Days in September they have taken teams of people down.  (It was used as an air raid shelter during WWII.)  I've applied to go but sadly never made the lottery.  I've noticed in the past couple of years it has not reappeared as an entry.

Old Strand station, or Aldwych station?

I believe it was the Strand Station.  You can still see the entrance markings for it on the Strand at the Aldwych.  (It is listed.)  Several times during the London Open Days in September they have taken teams of people down.  (It was used as an air raid shelter during WWII.)  I've applied to go but sadly never made the lottery.  I've noticed in the past couple of years it has not reappeared as an entry.

Anorak alert.

The name changed from Strand to Aldwych in 1915 (at which time what is now the Northern Line section of Charing Cross became Charing Cross (Strand)).

• Like 4

Anorak alert.

The name changed from Strand to Aldwych in 1915 (at which time what is now the Northern Line section of Charing Cross became Charing Cross (Strand)).

When I was young there was a station called simply ‘Strand’ which was between Leicester Square and Charing Cross on the Northern Line. The exit I used to use led directly into Villiers Street (almost opposite John Adam Street). I believe that the underground station that was then known as Charing Cross is now known as Embankment.  

Edited by Bluebird

When I was young there was a station called simply ‘Strand’ which was between Leicester Square and Charing Cross on the Northern Line. The exit I used to use led directly into Villiers Street (almost opposite John Adam Street). I believe that the underground station that was then known as Charing Cross is now known as Embankment.

Thanks Bluebird. As they were run by different companies, what is now Charing Cross tube station was originally two (as you know). Seeing your message made me get out my wonderful book on the names of London's tube stations. So here we go:

Charing Cross (Northern): Charing Cross (1907), Charing Cross (Strand) (1914), Strand (1915)

Charing Cross (Bakerloo): Trafalgar Square (1906).

Both closed in 1973 for rebuilding, reopened as a combined station (with the Jubilee Line) called Charing Cross in 1979.

Embankment (District): Charing Cross (1870)

Embankment (Bakerloo): Embankment (1906), combined with Northern in 1914 and named Charing Cross (Embankment), then Charing Cross (1915).

Combined station renamed Charing Cross Embankment in 1974, then Embankment in 1976!

Yes, Strand got run into Charing Cross many years ago (could be why it's so far to the Bakerloo platforms?), although it's still marked on my copy of The London Game, which I guess dates from about 1973.  A good game, that - you had to visit sights around London on the Tube network, with the other players doing their best to throw you off-course!

Any more updates on effects this weekend?  I'm supposed to be going to the Coliseum tonight if I'm well enough.

Yes, Strand got run into Charing Cross many years ago (could be why it's so far to the Bakerloo platforms?), although it's still marked on my copy of The London Game, which I guess dates from about 1973.  A good game, that - you had to visit sights around London on the Tube network, with the other players doing their best to throw you off-course!

Any more updates on effects this weekend?  I'm supposed to be going to the Coliseum tonight if I'm well enough.

The Charing Cross station on the Bakerloo Line used to be called Trafalgar Square. If you use the steps at the top of the escalator they bring you onto the Square by the lions. However, as this is Balletcoforum and not History of London Underground, my anorak is going back where it belongs, right at the back of the wardrobe.

• Like 2