World Ballet Day Live - 1 October 2015

Oh dear, I'm not getting much work done today!

I love, love, love watching class. And it was utterly wonderful watching the Bolshoi ballet master - at 70 his ease, fluidity & musicality were almost more interesting than the dancers.

Seeing Steven McRae's feet in the allegro (playing as I type) is a lesson in speed of light movement.

It's such a privilege seeing the usually private time of company class. I'd be happy watching class all day and very sorry to miss the AB due to time differences. I remember seeing David McAllister when he was a student & very young dancer.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

Me too, Fiz! Wasn't the section just now with Wayne McGregor wonderful? I want another life, in which I start ballet training at 10 (rather than 12) and don't stop when I'm 15, and then become a professional, and work with choreographers like that!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

I started at 9 and my grammar school forced me to stop. As it was, my ballet teacher said I was too old to be a professional dancer which she thought I could otherwise have been. Next time I'm starting at five or six!

It wasn't just him to be fair another AD (Nixon?) did also. Glad this seems to be being objected to on twitter and that Tamara called them out on it. Go Tamara, definitely my feminist heroine of the day! 

• Like 5

I just made it home from Birmingham in time to see Alex Campbell and Yuhui Choe rehearsing Two Pigeons (thrilled to bits natch) then missed about an hour while visiting the dentist but have loved what I have seen so far.

I felt rather emotional watching the rehearsal of Northern Ballet's Wuthering Heights, as David Nixon reminded us about the wonderful Jonathan Ollivier who created the role of Heathcliff with Charlotte Talbot as his Cathy.  The first part of the rehearsal covered my favourite bit in the whole ballet where Heathcliff comes to try and persuade Cathy to leave with him.  I call it the red duet as Cathy is wearing a red dress.

I really must try and find a venue I can get to for Scottish Ballet's new Swan Lake; what we saw looked fabulous.

I shall be looking at the bits I missed on catch-up but fabulous so far!

• Like 1

A shame the interviewer just ended the RB day by referring to those young girls as nutcrackers when they were actually snowflakes! And Kevin O'Hare correcting him, erroneously, by saying that the NBOC is coming from Toronto when it is actually coming from Montreal, as the chap said!

But hey, those are nitpicks. I've only been able to dip in and out, but what I saw I loved. Great to see other British companies taking part this year as well. One highlight for me was watching Matthew Ball rehearse the new role of Escamillo in Acosta's Carmen. He is going to be wonderful. I also loved watching Laura Morera in a Viscera rehearsal. It reminds me how we don't see enough of her.

Technically it worked seamlessly; excellent segues and no awkward blanks or black spaces on screen, and everyone knew what they were doing. I will definitely be catching up on YouTube, and many congrats to all involved. I look forward to seeing the other companies as the day/evening progresses.

• Like 6

I really must try and find a venue I can get to for Scottish Ballet's new Swan Lake; what we saw looked fabulous.

How about the Liverpool Empire 1-4 June 2016 tickets on sale tomorrow 2 October 2015?!!!!! I'll be going:-))

Edited by Don Q Fan

How lovely to see Lindsay Fischer coach his daughter as Hermione in Wheeldon's lovely THE WINTER'S TALE for the NBoC.  You may remember him as a dancer as he did the Agon PDD with D. Bussell when she guested during the '93 Balanchine Festival with NYCB (where Fischer was a principal).  That segment was one which the BBC chose to (understandably) show from the full broadcast in their highlights programme.  Indeed you can see them in the link below (which also features the late Albert Evans and the wonderful Peter Boal):

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I've loved the few bits I've managed to see so far is it possible to watch the miased bits again on YouTube? Sorry to be thick not very good with techy things!!!

Good question. You can go back 4 hours from current on the time-bar below the screen but beyond that I've not managed. The BBC Arts page that is also hosting World Ballet Day has got a small selection of earlier pieces available. 

It does appear that there has been a general agreement that once the day is over the footage will be available for 30 days as several ballet companies have issued PR to this effect.

• Like 2

So annoyed I had to go to work today! Wish paying the bills wasn't necessary... Got some Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty for breakfast and just returned half an hour ago after my own class. Not a big Chroma fan though - would rather be watching class or the RB bits. Last year I think at least RB posted their bit in full for the weekend after and then highlights which stayed on YouTube permanently. Does anyone know if they're planning the same? Would love to see the features from the other UK companies too.

I still go back to the video of class from last year and watch Steven McRae's beats: phenomenal!

• Like 1

So annoyed I had to go to work today! Wish paying the bills wasn't necessary... Got some Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty for breakfast and just returned half an hour ago after my own class.

You've done better than I have, then.  If only the ROH hadn't scheduled 3 ballet performances on the same day, it would have made life a bit easier.

I happened to come back into the Day to find a chap apparently retching rose petals in silence, in the dark.  No idea what it was, but it proved a bit addictive, so I hung on just to see what would happen next.  Bemusement gradually gave way to amusement, though I fancy that may not have been what was intended, and I thought we'd reached the end at least twice before it finally came.  Twitchy is certainly the word, and I'm probably quite pleased that I didn't pay admission for the experience.  No need to see it again, which happens to be how I feel about the original.

• Like 3