World Ballet Day Live - 1 October 2015

I still go back to the video of class from last year and watch Steven McRae's beats: phenomenal!

Yes, and this year, the camera really homed in on him in  sissones in class and also some of the petit allegro. Then he was feature in a tap piece "Czardas". Not your ordinary tap piece! A highlight of yesterday.

I got utterly no work done yesterday. But in class last night we did a couple of combinations from the NBoC class -  what I loved about all the footage of morning class was the way that most of the barre was quite doable by a reasonably competent advanced beginner dancer - although obviously not to the standard we saw ;)

For me, the emphasis of the whole day was the importance of class, and what it gives to the artist. Its something that my students (some of them aspiring to work as artists in my area)  could  learn: a simple, determined and regular attention to the very basics of the craft. Wonderful!

I also loved watching Wayne McGregor and David Dawson working with dancers on their new works, and  Helgi Tomasson working on Act II of Giselle <swoon> But then I've always preferred training & rehearsal to performance, either as a performer or an audience. I was partly raised in the rehearsal room, and I love that flowing concentration of creating something from just bodies & words.

Ahhhh, back to normal today.

• Like 6

Young man red bandana cut tights = Teo Dubreuil - beautiful dancer!

Teo Dubreuil is the son of Alain Dubreuil and Samira Saidi (both ex BRB). He came 2nd in the 2011 Young British Dancer of the Year Competition.

Having been a student extra in Nutcracker the previous season, he joined ENB in Jan 2012 during his third year at the RBS. He joined the RB in Jan 2014.

• Like 1

I've said it before: Matthew Ball is Sergei Polunin's younger brother! He was worked very, very hard by the coach (I don't know his name) in the Carmen rehearsal. I felt that the poor guy should have been given a bit of a breather a few times. He has a lovely quality of movement, so flowing and (seemingly) effortless.

• Like 6

I wasn’t able to watch this yesterday but really enjoying the replay today. The Two Pigeons rehearsal is wonderful – but I think I might have 'and-girl-turn and-boy-turn' going through my head when I’m watching later in the year… :lol:

• Like 7

Hahaha, same here, Timmie! I was on a train with poor data connection when the RB class started (or more accurately, when the filmed coverage joined them, as that must have been half an hour in) but by the time the Two Pigeons rehearsal was shown I was sitting by the ballerina statue opposite the ROH, SURROUNDED by pigeons, awaiting the R&J matinee.  Nice to see it properly on my TV today, though, rather than my tiny phone screen.

Having been at the RB Insight last week at which Gary Avis coached Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Ryoichi Hirano on the Raven Girl pas de deux, I found it especially interesting to see them work on part of the same with Wayne McGregor.  It seemed to be a lot tighter by yesterday. I wish I could remember, though, which moment it was that Gary highlighted as something they'd have to find out McGregor's opinion on...

I saw lots of ballet on World Ballet Day (R&J in the afternoon, Cheri in the evening) but am only now catching up properly with a lot of the filmed coverage!

• Like 1

Catching up on yesterday's action from the Royal Opera House: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBvClXuMFCs

Beatriz Stix-Brunell looks a dream in the Raven Girl rehearsal! I love how much expression she puts into her dancing and she looks so fearless in all those lifts!

Watching Wayne McGregor work I find fascinating. His own vocal expression of the movement is so interesting to hear! 

It was also great to hear the interviews with the younger BRB company members and how excited they were when they got their contracts!

Edited by Rachelm

I was very impressed with Matthew Ball in his rehearsal requence, he has his own presence that's for sure. The combination of a quite fierce energy and a flowing musicality promises good things.

The Two Pigeons rehearsal was a brilliant insight into Ashton style. Christopher Carr , not only a fine teacher with much sensitiivity to the dancers, but a repository of so much knowledge . I don't normally watch rehearsals but these two will bear repeating.

• Like 2

Yes, Matthew Ball is unique, and very talented. I just think that, facially, he bears a striking resemblance to Polunin. Artistically, I don't think that they have many similarities. I hope that his public debut as Romeo goes well today and that he will soon get the promotion to soloist which he deserves.

• Like 4

Come on folks, Matthew Ball is very much Matthew Ball and already a wonderful and versatile artiste.

Hair styles and face shapes can make many dancers look similar to each other on stage.  I have often done double takes when watching performances for just that reason - ok only for a nano second but never-the-less...

The one time I really did do a double take was when identical twins Stefano and Maurizio Giannetti were both in the Mandolin Dance in Ashton's R&J with LFB (now ENB) many moons ago!

I loved World Ballet Day, managed to discretely have the live feed running on my phone while at work (mainly with the sound off) on the day itself, though I've been catching up with the Youtube archived streams this weekend (with the sound on!).

It's been wonderful to get to know other ballet companies better like Houston Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet and Boston Ballet and ENB, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet and BRB. I follow the companies and their dancers on Twitter and Facebook, so it was nice to see them in action as well.

The Royal Ballet's segment was wonderful, love watching company class. San Francisco Ballet and National Ballet of Canada were great too. Missed The Australian Ballet due to being asleep........ but it was nice to watch a clip of their new Sleeping Beauty production on the BBC Arts page, the tutus and costumes are just gorgeous. 

• Like 1

I’ve been slowly catching up on WBD since Friday night, as far as the recordings go. The Australians have made a big impression, I’d love to see their Swan Lake – can’t it be adopted by the RB… I heard they are in need of a new one? ;)

I think the company presented itself excellently. The rehearsals were a joy to watch, I fell utterly in love with the Lilac Fairy! Those generous attitudes and her eloquent back, so beautiful.

And yesterday Mr P and I were glued to the screen the five full hours for the RB and the other British companies. I loved the RB class, everything they did in the centre was so “dancey” and used all the directions, very fluent and musical. Beautifully choreographed combinations! And so difficult. How they can pick it up so quickly, it’s a miracle. When they danced the last allegro combination, Mr P said “that’s a story already!” and I think he was right.

Wonderful to watch SO many different pieces and also to be introduced to the other companies. Dawson’s Swan Lake looks exciting too and it was great to see how he made every detail understandable and clear. Scottish ballet also has a fabulous studio!

And now I’m already very keen to see the next cinema broadcast, they were very good at throwing delicious little appetizers at us…!

• Like 1