OSIPOVA OUT OF ALL PERFORMANCES THIS AUTUMN!

Sim

Sad news, but good to have the information out this far in advance.  I thought buying tickets for her first and last Juliet would mean she couldn't be injured for all of them, but obviously I was wrong :(  Best wishes to her for a full (and speedy if possible) recovery.

It is a real pity....she seems to be beset by injury problems.  I also bought tickets to all her perfomances, just in case....but even covering all bases doesn't always work.

On the positive side, Sarah and Vadim were fantastic together in Manon so I really hope that can be emulated in R&J.

• Like 2

On the positive side, Sarah and Vadim were fantastic together in Manon so I really hope that can be emulated in R&J.

A big 'yes, please' to that sentiment.

And....Laura Morera gets to dance Carmen. Hurrah!

Edited to say how much I feel for Osipova in this. A dancer exists to dance and she has had so much injury time out recently.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

And the official press release:

Due to injury, Natalia Osipova will not dance her scheduled performances for the Autumn period.  Replacement casting is announced as follows

ROMEO & JULIET – Sarah Lamb, Principal

Saturday 26 September

Thursday 1 October (eve)

Wednesday 11 November

CONNECTOME – Lauren Cuthbertson, Principal

Tuesday 6 October

Saturday 10 October (Mat)

Tuesday 20 October

Thursday 22 October

TCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX – Iana Salenko, Guest Artist

Monday 26 October

Friday 6 November

Thursday 12 November

CARMEN – Laura Morera, Principal

Wednesday 28 October

Saturday 31 October (Mat) 

Monday 2 November

• Like 1

Very sad for all of us who have spent money on tickets to see her.

Seems rather serious to me if she has to pull out for the whole of the Autumn Season.

More sad for Ms Osipova as she is injured, presumably quite seriously to be out for the whole of the Autumn Season.

Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

When was she injured and what is the injury, does anyone know?

I was allowed to say that it is an old injury (foot), which required serious attention for a few years. It became more acute now.

Best wishes to Natasha for getting the best possible treatment and coming back to us. 

• Like 7

It must be horrible for her. I'll miss seeing her on stage, but I hope she takes as much time as needed for decent treatment even if it means she's out for more than one season. Maybe it's time to choreograph an upper body only role for recovering ballerinas

• Like 4

What a shame. Osipova does indeed seem beset by injury. She does a lot of guesting at other companies too (eg due at La Scala in Manon in November) so maybe she should take it a bit easier. I shall really be sorry not to see her in the Tchaikovsky pdd as that was a thrilling 10minutes with McRae when I saw it at the recent gala. I wish her a speedy recovery.

From what I hear, Natalia's old foot injury (she recently described herself as 'disabled') has worsened quite a bit. I'm guessing she'll undergo surgery on it soon, wishing her a speedy recovery!

A little placated by having seen Lamb and Muntagirov's sublime Manon last season, but my Connectome ticket has definitely got to go...

• Like 1

I am sure people will think I am being harsh here, but if Osipova had/has such a serious foot problem, should she been allowed to join as a Principal of the RB in the first place?  Especially as the company demands a great deal from its dancers in terms of the variety of styles they are expected to cope with?

Should they at least have made sure that whatever the problem is was sorted out first? 

Or do they just expect dancers to be injured frequently, and assume that the public won't really mind the fact that one of the star names seems to spend more time off the stage than on it?

• Like 2

Fonty...it's frustrating I agree. I booked her Don Q and she fell in the first act and that was her finished for the first part of the year. Think her body is telling her something.... IMHO she needs to slow down she's not the teenager she once was and yet still literally throws herself into the dance, maybe time to moderate it bit.

• Like 1

Even before I got this news it had crossed my mind that she was spreading herself rather thin. I wish her all the best.

Was so pleased to have got R&J tickets to see her. Wish I had gone for Naghdi and Ball now. And to cap it all, Sarah Lamb is my least favourite Principal.

Me too Penelope! Though I would probably have gone for Hayward. Imagine her performance will be lovely and fresh. But take consolation in the fact that you will see the divine Muntagirov still :) Edited by cavycapers

Perhaps they felt it might be too much for Hayward given it's her debut this time, and after all it would be another three performances for her - although I admit I would like to see it. Having said that, I saw Lamb/Muntagirov together in Manon and thought they were wonderful together.

• Like 1

Wishing Osipova a proper and full recovery and am really disappointed to be missing her R and J

In a way I'm not surprised by her injury as she always seems to dance all out and then some whatever she is doing but perhaps she does need to "watch it" a bit more now as Don Q said as repeated injury to the same part of the body can end a dancers career and I don't want her career ending just yet!! She is such a wonderful dancer love her to bits but I'd rather she took a longer recovery time now if needed so she can be with us for longer! So hope there is not too much pressure on her to come back too soon etc.

I nearly decided to change tickets for the Hayward Golding performance when I heard this news but have never seen Muntagirov as Romeo so will keep ticket and hope Lamb surprises as Juliet.....I somehow think she will!

• Like 4