World Ballet Day 2018 - 2nd October 2018

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With less than a week to go until World Ballet Day (Tuesday, 2nd Oct), I was  glad to see the following in the official blurb at https://worldballetday.com/about/
Don’t worry, if you missed the moment of your favourite company went LIVE, you can come back to the full schedule and click through to watch the full replay on their Facebook page.

Knowing that we can catch up on anything later should make the day's activities much more enjoyable. (In previous years, there were vague  promises to post edited versions/select events online after WBD.)  

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 1

One Day in the World Ballet Life: 2 October 2018!
https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/announce/WBD-2018-10-02/

The Bolshoi Ballet gathers its friends and fans at 9:00 a.m. (Moscow time) and ‘shows and tells’ for five hours. According to the time zone, the Australian Ballet will kick off first (4:00 – 9:00, a.m. Moscow time), and the Royal Ballet will conclude the broadcast (14:00 – 19:00, p.m. Moscow time).

The Bolshoi will present its ballet school in Brazil, the morning class led by Bolshoi Ballet prominent master-repetiteur Boris Akimov, rehearsals of last season premiers – Forgotten Land, Nureyev, Anna Karenina – and the ballet La Bayadere. The Bolshoi’s program will also include individual classes and rehearsals with participation of the Bolshoi’s principal Denis Rodkin, a rising star from Italy Jacopo Tissi, budding dancers Mark Chino and Egor Gerashchenko, who will be presented by their coach Alexander Vetrov. Then the broadcast will take the viewers to Ekaterinburg, where we will meet Vyacheslav Samodurov with the artists of the Ekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre.

• Like 6

What an exciting array:

Calendars at the ready!

Here's all the information you need to keep up with every single ballet company taking part in World Ballet Day - all of these companies will be streaming on October 2 throughout the day (and night!):

AUSTRALIA and ASIA 
The National Ballet of Japan, Tokyo - 11:00-11:15 JST (UTC +9hrs)
West Australian Ballet , Perth - 14:30-14:40 AWST (UTC +8hrs)
Queensland Ballet, Brisbane - 15:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)
Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington - 15:00-16:00 NZST (UTC +12hrs)

MAINLAND EUROPE 
Nasjonalballetten UNG / Norwegian National Ballet 2, Oslo - 14:00 - 14:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
The Royal Danish Ballet, Copenhagen - 14:15-14:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Bayerisches Staatsballett, Munich - 14:30-15:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Das Stuttgarter Ballettt, Stuttgart - 15:00-15:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Wiener Staatsballett, Vienna - 15:15-15:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, Paris - 15:30-16:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Het Nationale Ballet - Dutch National Ballet, Amsterdam - 16:00-16:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Kungliga Svenska balettskolan/ The Royal Swedish Ballet School, Stockholm - 16:15-16:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa, Warsaw - 17:00-17:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)

UNITED KINGDOM 
Scottish Ballet, Glasgow - 11:00-11:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Birmingham Royal Ballet - 13:00-13:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
English National Ballet, London - 14:00-14:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Royal Academy of Dance, London - 14:30-15:00 BST (UTC +1hr)
Northern Ballet, Leeds - 16:00-16:30 BST (UTC +1hr)

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and CANADA
Ballet Concierto De PR, San Juan - 10:00-10:15 AST (UTC -4hrs)
Acosta Danza, Cuba - 12:00-12:40 EDT (UTC -4hrs)
Houston Ballet, Texas - 12:30-13:30 CDT (UTC -5hrs)
Pacific Northwest Ballet , Seattle - 11:00-11:30 PDT (UTC -7hrs)
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York - 15:00-15:30 EDT (UTC -4hrs)
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal - 16:00-17:00 EDT (UTC -4hrs)

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Looks like a great lineup. No Russians this year?

I think this is a list of the companies in addition to RB, Bolshoi and Australian Ballet who are the primary companies involved but not listed.

I hadn’t realised that Cuba had become part of the USA and Canada.

I had to look up UTC to discover that it means GMT!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think this is a list of the companies in addition to RB, Bolshoi and Australian Ballet who are the primary companies involved but not listed.

Thanks for clarifying. Not sure how I am going to squeeze it all in so hope it’s available to view afterwards! 

I’m going to be literally glued to my seat all day - great line up of worldwide ballet companies and particularly looking forward to the Paris Opéra, Vienna State Ballet and Norwegian National Ballet 2 slots.  It’s a shame that NBC and SFB are not included this year, but great to see Alvin Ailey and Les Grands Ballets Canadiens included in this year’s USA/Canada line up.  It would also be good to see some of the work of the Rambert and Phoenix dance companies in the UK - but I guess there is just not enough time in one day.  Pleased to see that the RAD London also get a slot as it’s the biggest dance teaching organisation in the world (and being a retired RAD teacher myself!) and many of the RAD Genée award winners are dancing in dance companies all over the world - what about the PDL too?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Here's all the information you need to keep up with every single ballet company taking part in World Ballet Day - all of these companies will be streaming on October 2 throughout the day (and night!)

Thanks Bruce.

My poor head. I don't suppose anyone wants to translate all those times to BST for a poor benighted Brit?

• Like 2

This sounds sublime (know SheilaC will be smiling) .... and I'm more than pleased ...  especially with Jenifer Ringer and Philip Neal doing the staging! 

https://www.facebook.com/PNBallet/videos/417032288827285/?__xts__[0]=68.ARC8Oi8kyBuF4qLzsbSSuC8wBXFRqmZH-845S3d42KDbPX8bHgVYpu9Mk6PdhBfwN2QAAXBw0VYxCRlJJ4pVn_gUguB89jvQt_LWb3er7-sp9Vuj7v7q1x6uSZGMlnwSHsb0Q-B2_qK4DvzuTkcF_i9nBfn2sAYzFUKPz-uoIOdi2Y0k5icm&__tn__=-R

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

ROH have also published their schedule for the day here:

• 12.00pm: Royal Ballet class
  • 1.30pm: Rehearsal with Charlotte Edmonds and Joseph Sissens
  • 1.50pm: Rehearsal of La Bayadère with Lauren Cuthbertson, Natalia Osipova and Vadim Muntagirov
  • 2.20pm: Rehearsal of Mayerling with Steven McRae, Sarah Lamb, and Laura Morera
  • 2.50pm: Rehearsal of Draftworks
  • 3.10pm: Rehearsal with the Royal Ballet School
  • 3.40pm: Rehearsal of Winter Dreams with Tiago Soares and Marianela Nuñez
  • 4.10pm: Rehearsal of The Unknown Soldier with Matthew Ball
  • 4.30pm: Rehearsal of Aletta Collins new work with Mayara Magri
  • 5.00pm: Rehearsal of La Bayadère with the corps de ballet
  • Like 8

Many thanks Lily_883.  

Is the ROH abandoning its own website for news and focusing on Facebook/Twitter?  Still nothing on news about the two recent Insights nor the World Ballet day.  If this is the intention, it would be good to let people know.  But it seems a retrograde step to me.  The news webpages are very accessible, searchable and enable people to comment with ease.  The content is pretty good - just look at all the references listed under productions (for example 20 Mayerling news items listed if you go to the bottom of the Mayerling what's on page and select 'view more'.

• Like 3

I've just released a piece by Jann Parry about the RB section of WBD where she talks to Kristen McNally, James Hay and Assistant director (of the transmission) Anthoula Syndica-Drummond. The RB section is hosted by Kristen and Alexander Campbell.

At the bottom of the piece I include a list of all that they hope to cover in the 5 hours segment, including other company contributions. Interesting, but to be consumed with usual health warnings. Sadly It doesn't include timings for what should be transmitted when.

http://dancetabs.com/2018/09/world-ballet-day-2-october-2018-an-insight-into-what-the-royal-ballet-will-be-doing/

Finally I also include a link at the top of the piece to this thread - because it gives a good idea of the breadth of what is happening on the day and the great difficulty in getting a hold on it all - especially with time zone complications. But do keep adding folks...

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I've just released a piece by Jann Parry about the RB section of WBD where she talks to Kristen McNally, James Hay and Assistant director (of the transmission) Anthoula Syndica-Drummond. The RB section is hosted by Kristen and Alexander Campbell.

At the bottom of the piece I include a list of all that they hope to cover in the 5 hours segment, including other company contributions. Interesting, but to be consumed with usual health warnings. Sadly It doesn't include timings for what should be transmitted when.

http://dancetabs.com/2018/09/world-ballet-day-2-october-2018-an-insight-into-what-the-royal-ballet-will-be-doing/

Finally I also include a link at the top of the piece to this thread - because it gives a good idea of the breadth of what is happening on the day and the great difficulty in getting a hold on it all - especially with time zone complications. But do keep adding folks...

Duh - just saw the earlier post on this thread about RB's timings - not sure how I missed. But I think the list in DanceTabs has a bit more info and also covers the other UK companies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

...Confusing...

Although I think this year is better then it has been, on the release of what is happening when, it's still not easy to find the information - mainly because it's not where you would expect to find it. So the RB schedule for the day (with their sections for the 4 other UK companies) is not on the obvious place at www.worldballetday.com

It's also not on the RB/ROH page about WBD at http://www.roh.org.uk/about/world-ballet-day

They do nudge you to Facebook for more info but when you go there you don't immediately see what they are doing either = the post with the info is buried well down the page and you have to expand it to see it. It also doesn't include the 4 other companies contributions in their transmission. But the companies are listed as doing their own thing (no links) at other times during the day. It's all a bit poor and un-thought about. And I just don't think Facebook is a good place for giving hard information.

What WBD really needs is a central and detailed definitive list of what is happening when and that should be on www.worldballetday.com to which all companies should be able to add. And the final icing on the cake would be that you could tell the page your timezone and all the times for what's happening when would appear as times in your zone so no mental gymnastics are needed. That and hard links to where the stream will be if it's done by a company that is not one of the central three that are making it all happen this year.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

What WBD really needs is a central and detailed definitive list of what is happening when and that should be on www.worldballetday.com to which all companies should be able to add. And the final icing on the cake would be that you could tell the page your timezone and all the times for what's happening when would appear as times in your zone so no mental gymnastics are needed. That and hard links to where the stream will be if it's done by a company that is not one of the central three that are making it all happen this year.

Absolutely. 

This site is useful for converting time zones - I use it for a client who always puts its deadlines in UTC:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I have put UK time in red. I think they got the "UTC+" for Wellington wrong - the web tells me it is currently  11:40 pm in Wellington so they are exactly 12  hours ahead of us here.

Please correct if you spot any  silly errors.

The Australian Ballet, Melbourne
11:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)   
02:00 - 07:00

Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow  09:00-14:00 MSK (UTC +3hrs)  7:00 -  12:00

Royal Opera House, The Royal Ballet, London  12:00-17:00 BST (UTC +1hr)

Guest companies:

AUSTRALIA and ASIA 
The National Ballet of Japan, Tokyo - 11:00-11:15 JST (UTC +9hrs) 03:00 -  03:15
West Australian Ballet , Perth - 14:30-14:40 AWST (UTC +8hrs) 07:30 -  07:40
Queensland Ballet, Brisbane - 15:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs) 06:00 – 07:00
Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington - 15:00-16:00 NZST (UTC +12hrs) 03:00 - 04:00  (UTC + 13 hrs)

MAINLAND EUROPE 
Nasjonalballetten UNG / Norwegian NB   2, Oslo - 14:00 - 14:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:00 - 13:30
The Royal Danish Ballet, Copenhagen - 14:15-14:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:15 - 13:45
Bayerisches Staatsballett, Munich - 14:30-15:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:30 - 14:00
Das Stuttgarter Ballettt, Stuttgart - 15:00-15:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:00 - 14:30
Wiener Staatsballett, Vienna - 15:15-15:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:15 - 14:45
Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, Paris - 15:30-16:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)  14:30 - 15:00
Het Nationale Ballet - Dutch NB, Amsterdam - 16:00-16:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:00 - 15:30
Kungliga Svenska/Royal Swedish Ballet Sch.Stockholm - 16:15-16:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:15 - 15:45
Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa, Warsaw - 17:00-17:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 16:00 - 16:30

UNITED KINGDOM 
Scottish Ballet, Glasgow - 11:00-11:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Birmingham Royal Ballet - 13:00-13:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
English National Ballet, London - 14:00-14:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Royal Academy of Dance, London - 14:30-15:00 BST (UTC +1hr)
Northern Ballet, Leeds - 16:00-16:30 BST (UTC +1hr)

AMERICA and CANADA
Ballet Concierto De PR, San Juan - 10:00-10:15 AST (UTC -4hrs)  15:00 - 15:15
Acosta Danza, Cuba - 12:00-12:40 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 17:00 - 17:40
Houston Ballet, Texas - 12:30-13:30 CDT (UTC -5hrs) 18:30 - 19:30
Pacific Northwest Ballet , Seattle - 11:00-11:30 PDT (UTC -7hrs) 19:00 - 19:30
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York - 15:00-15:30 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 20:00 - 20:30
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal - 16:00-17:00 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 21:00 - 22:00

Edited by alison
Added highlighting in the hope of making this easier to spot
  • Like 10