World Ballet Day 2018 - 2nd October 2018

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 07:05, JohnS said:

Particularly if you click the 'find out more' button.

Oh, you mean the button which takes you ... all the way back to the top of the self-same page? ;) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Bruce, I nominate you for this very necessary job next time round!

Thanks John! The problem is getting the detailed information (that everybody wants) in a timely manner from all the companies concerned. It's not easy!

6 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, you mean the button which takes you ... all the way back to the top of the self-same page? ;) 

I'm afraid it reminded me of the old joke about making someone dizzy by putting him in a barrel and asking him to point to the corner - not quite the original joke (adjusted for today's sensitivities).

19 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

So the 'other' Brit companies are having their slots overlapping with the RB?

It's a big muddle.

This came in from BRB late last night:

"WORLD BALLET DAY 2018
One of our favourite days of the year is just a sleep away, as Tuesday 2 October brings us World Ballet Day 2018. A day devoted to and celebrating our favourite thing, World Ballet Day sees all the major ballet companies around the globe showcase their best on a dedicated stream on Facebook. Tune into the Royal Opera House feed throughout the day to check out two gorgeous short videos from us, as well as visiting the BRB Facebook page live at 1pm for a rehearsal Juanjo Arqués's Ignite (part of Fire & Fury) with Brandon Lawrence, Mathias Dingman and Céline Gittens, as well as popping up through the day with other fantastic surprises."

So to see all that BRB is doing you currently have to look at the entire 5 hour Royal Ballet broadcast for the BRB section. But at 13:00 you need to go to the BRB Facebook page to see direct another and different BRB broadcast.

For what its worth the DanceTabs list for the RB 5 hours says this about the BRB part:

"Birmingham Royal VT –  Rehearsals of two of our dancers as they work on the male pas de deux from The King Dances. The second half will be a brief conversation with Artistic Director David Bintley as he prepares to leave the company and will feature excerpts from his created rep over the past 20 years as well as conversations with notable dancers and colleagues (Marion Tait, Ruth Brill, Iain Mackay etc.)."

It's shown in our list as coming after the RBs Cuthbertson(now Takada?)/Osipova/Muntagirov Bayadere section and that is currently shown as happening at 13:50.

From the RB Facebook page:
1.50pm: Rehearsal of La Bayadère with Akane Takada Natalia Osipova and Vadim Muntagirov
2.20pm: Rehearsal of Mayerling with Steven McRae, Sarah Lamb, and Laura Morera

So BRBs section in the RB stream might happen at just after 14:00? Possibly!

This is just for BRB. Goodness knows what is happening for the other 3 UK companies and if their own broadcasts will repeat or augment what is contained in the main RB 5 hours.

It shouldn't be this complex!

Well I've taken the day off work as usual but there doesn't seem to be one stream like there usually is, on either YouTube or Facebook? I guess I'll just settle for watching the RB from 12pm and catching up with the rest once I work out what they're doing... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

ENB's 2 pm (UK time) slot will feature Manon rehearsals ...

Whereas the ENB slot at some unspecified time in the 5 hour RB transmission is:

"English National Ballet VT – We take a first look at their new production She Persisted, a trio of ballets by female choreographers that will be staged at Sadler’s Wells in April."

They should really publish the times as a table with one timezone (GMT or BST?) as the standard with translated times following... I am on holiday at the moment and am doubly confused about the timezones as I have to translate it to British time and then +2h!  

Unfortunately I am going to miss most of the UK broadcast as I am taking my girls to a performance of a Peter Pan ballet this afternoon which cuts right into their schedule, I hope the playback is up by this evening!

In terms of the extra content appearing for BRB and any others, I actually think this is really positive. Although it might detracts from the overall WBD viewing figures, it demonstrates that there is more appetite for the content among the specific ballet company's audience and potentially beyond. It also means that the companies are pushing themselves to go digital and bring live content to their audience, which, correct me if I am wrong, but the Royal Ballet really seems to be the worldwide market leader on.  It's amazing that only 4 years on, so many companies are keen to get involved! As a (largely digital) marketeer, I would love to see how the viewing figures grow/change across the day and where in the world people are viewing from.  

In the hope that we will eventually be able to get on and start discussing the content of WBD and not just complaining about inability to access it, I've moved a lot of the posts on this thread onto a new one in the discussion forum, here:

It does include some recommendations on which URLs to use to access the content - I'll highlight them ASAP.  In the meantime, unless anything is obviously "information", please post it there.  Thanks!

I'd have thought the logical thing to do with all this would be to publish it as a table, possibly in 5-hour sections or something for ease: times down the left-hand column, next column the "hosting" company content - with links - and then a separate column for each other company which is doing something at the time - again with links.  I wouldn't have thought that was a horribly difficult task for a skilled website developer, but then since I'm not one I may of course be wrong!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd have thought the logical thing to do with all this would be to publish it as a table, possibly in 5-hour sections or something for ease: times down the left-hand column, next column the "hosting" company content - with links - and then a separate column for each other company which is doing something at the time - again with links.  I wouldn't have thought that was a horribly difficult task for a skilled website developer, but then since I'm not one I may of course be wrong!

Completely agree.

30 minutes ago, alison said:

In the hope that we will eventually be able to get on and start discussing the content of WBD and not just complaining about inability to access it, I've moved a lot of the posts on this thread onto a new one in the discussion forum, here:

It does include some recommendations on which URLs to use to access the content - I'll highlight them ASAP.  In the meantime, unless anything is obviously "information", please post it there.  Thanks!

I would have thought it better to keep matters on how to access the feeds on this "information" thread and leave the thread in the "discussion" section for discussion on the actual content.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I would have thought it better to keep matters on how to access the feeds on this "information" thread and leave the thread in the "discussion" section for discussion on the actual content.  

Yes, I thought that first of all, but later came to the conclusion that people were probably going to have enough to do keeping an eye on the livestream and one thread on here.  I might move them back later :) 

23 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

I've collated all the video's from World Ballet Day barring the Bolshoi official feed as it's not yet posted (if you find it please let me know) For anyone who was unable to watch or keep up you can find all the links in this post.

Many thanks to Sophie_rebecca for the links above.

• Like 1