Barbican MacMillan Steps Back in Time

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, cackles said:

I haven't heard anything from them either. I have a ticket for 21April - Row B.

When I went to collect my reallocated tickets yesterday, I was told they are only contacting the people who are affected by the change. I got the impression that it's possible that the people affected are those who had seats in row A or who had seats with the higher numbers at the ends of the rows (the rows now have fewer seats).

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got a call on Saturday.  I am still in row A, but there will now be a bench in front of me.  They asked if I'd rather sit on the bench so that I were still in the front row.  So I said I get a choice between an uncomfortable seat but a clear view, or a comfortable seat with perhaps someone's head blocking me?  I was assured that my view wouldn't be impeded by the people on the bench, so I opted to keep my row A ticket.  Most absurdly, I now have to post the ticket back to the Barbican box office.   They will then send me a new ticket with the same seat number and row.  I said that this was an absurd waste of time, paper, postage and effort for all concerned, especially the poor box office staff.  He agreed but I could feel the heavy heave of his shoulders over the phone.  They are just doing what they are told.  I said "so I have to return you a ticket that says A18, and you will then send me a new ticket that says A18?  That is ridiculous."  He said it is something to do with an audit.  I then asked him why the producers couldn't have got the seating layout correct before they put the tickets on sale.  He said they were wondering that too, but that sadly there was nothing they could do about it.  He then had to break the bad news that Ed is being replaced by Thiago....but I told him I already knew that so I had had time to recover from my disappointment!

The whole thing sounds ludicrous to me, so I can only hope that the actual event will be much better organised and have much better production values and content.  I am sure it will.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sim said:

I got a call on Saturday.  I am still in row A, but there will now be a bench in front of me.  They asked if I'd rather sit on the bench so that I were still in the front row.  So I said I get a choice between an uncomfortable seat but a clear view, or a comfortable seat with perhaps someone's head blocking me?  I was assured that my view wouldn't be impeded by the people on the bench, so I opted to keep my row A ticket.  Most absurdly, I now have to post the ticket back to the Barbican box office.   They will then send me a new ticket with the same seat number and row.  I said that this was an absurd waste of time, paper, postage and effort for all concerned, especially the poor box office staff.  He agreed but I could feel the heavy heave of his shoulders over the phone.  They are just doing what they are told.  I said "so I have to return you a ticket that says A18, and you will then send me a new ticket that says A18?  That is ridiculous."  He said it is something to do with an audit.  I then asked him why the producers couldn't have got the seating layout correct before they put the tickets on sale.  He said they were wondering that too, but that sadly there was nothing they could do about it.  He then had to break the bad news that Ed is being replaced by Thiago....but I told him I already knew that so I had had time to recover from my disappointment!

The whole thing sounds ludicrous to me, so I can only hope that the actual event will be much better organised and have much better production values and content.  I am sure it will.  

Hi Sim, that is strange, as when the seat issue came up a few weeks ago, I phoned the Box Office and they told me that my seat was the same and just to go to the Box Office on the day.  Particularly bemused as we are sitting next to each other??!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

I had a phone call yesterday which was basically to say that my seats had moved from the end to the middle of the row!

For someone who didn't (unfortunately) book for this, this thread is (at the risk of being tactless) getting funnier and funnier! Though I'm so sorry about all the confusion etc, both for those going and for the box office staff who clearly don't quite know what they should be doing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vanartus said:

Sigh. I wish I had got my act together and booked way back when. Sold out sold out...I keep checking but...sold out...

Given that they're obviously dealing with a reconfiguration of the auditorium, I would imagine that if any returns have come in they'll have held on to them until they are sure all ticketholders have been reseated.  My guess is that once they've dealt with that, you'll see returns appear here and there as normal.

At least, that's what I would be doing if I had several existing ticket holders to relocate!

(Edited to add - and now I see I already made this point further up the thread! Repeating myself, sorry...)

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

Handful of returns online now for the Friday night and Saturday matinee, including some front row for the latter.

(Coinciding nicely with me being at the Barbican and having a ticket to return for credit!)

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/event/kenneth-macmillan-steps-back-in-time

I am going with a few ballet friends to this event on 19 April. 

The ROH Manon cast on 19th April shows Hayward is replacing Morera so I am wondering will "Laiderette" be cancelled that evening?

There is no information on the Barbican website whatsoever.

40 minutes ago, alison said:

Are you sure about that, Xandra?  There was originally no performance scheduled for the 19th.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Thank you Alison.

I am pretty sure but I will double-check with my friend who booked the tickets.

On 4/7/2018 at 16:39, alison said:

Well, that's weird, because I checked the Barbican website and it wasn't showing a performance on the 19th.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on?dates[min]=2018-04-19&dates[max]=2018-04-19

I asked my ballet buddies and they said yes there is a performance on the 19th (so weird it doesn't come up on website. Why?) 

Last night at the London Ballet Circle Ms. Durante suggested that there were some different dancers dancing at different performances - which makes sense - given the differing schedules of the participants. 

Edited by Bruce Wall