Alexander Campbell to dance Albrecht in Giselle

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Alexander Campbell to dance Giselle
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Alexander Campbell to dance Albrecht in Giselle

Wishing Marcelino Sambe a speedy recovery (I think he's been injured since the start of this Season (?)) but I am SO thrilled that Alexander Campbell will be dancing Albrecht! I have a "Giselle" Naghdi/Ball ticket but now thinking of  getting a ticket to see his show too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

With no disrespect to Marcelino Sambe, I am sure I am not the only one extremely pleased by this announcement....

Well, with no disrespect to Alexander Campbell, I for one am extremely disappointed.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 7

While looking forward to seeing Alexander I too am disappointed not to see Marcellino. Does anyone know what the matter is? it must be a very severe injury as I'm sure his performances have been cancelled all this season. He must be gutted as he's missed some really good roles and to be so sure he won't be fit for Giselle in Feb doesn't seem to bode well for his immediate dancing future. Obviously if he's been injured for such a long time it will take quite a while to get to the level of fitness needed for full length ballets. I can only wish him well and hope he will be fit for his debut (?) role as Lescault in Manon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jmhopton said:

While looking forward to seeing Alexander I too am disappointed not to see Marcellino. Does anyone know what the matter is?

The fact that Sambé is injured is in the public domain.  The extent of the injury is not and, so whilst some of us may know, it would be against the AUP to post details on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

to be so sure he won't be fit for Giselle in Feb doesn't seem to bode well for his immediate dancing future.

This isn't necessarily the case.

Firstly, as it would have been Sambé's role debut, he'd have needed a full rehearsal period.  Perhaps he'll be back to full health by the beginning of February, but if he isn't fit to rehearse, I don't really know how you get round that other than to replace him.

Secondly, as it's Hayward's role debut, SHE needs a full rehearsal period, and surely it's only fair to her to give her as much certainty as possible as to who her partner will be, in time to get used to the partnership.

Seems eminently sensible to me, as sorry as I am for Sambé that he will have to wait until next time to dance Albrecht.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

The fact that Sambé is injured is in the public domain.  The extent of the injury is not and, so whilst some of us may know, it would be against the AUP to post details on here.

He’s posted an Instagram story this afternoon explaining the issue. 

• Like 2

This is what his public Instagram post says:

"I have received some lovely supportive messages lately enquiring about my stage absence since the beginning of this season, so I thought I would write a thank you and explain what happened.

After a scan to my shin bone came back with a small fracture, I had to stop completely for several weeks.

I'm now entering a more final stage of my rehab, but still have a long way to full recovery!

Thankfully I have the greatest team of physiotherapists and rehab coaches to get me there in safe hands.

I'll hopefully be back on stage very soon!

Very thankfull (sic) for the support."

• Like 12

Great to hear this news and lovely that he has taken the time to reply personally. I apologise if I seemed to be asking for information that wasn't in the public domain. I wouldn't dream of invading Marcellino's privacy, I just wondered if anyone did know 'officially' and just hadn't posted it. Wonderful to know he is recovering and I wish him well and hope to see him in Manon or whenever he is perfectly fit to perform.

• Like 6

On 13/12/2017 at 16:54, alison said:

That WILL be a novelty :)

Following on from Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, no doubt.

On 13/12/2017 at 17:04, Jan McNulty said:

I hadn't even noticed that!!!  I've changed the title to include the role name.

It's given me a giggle now too.

It was rather more fun when it read "to dance Giselle" :)

• Like 1

I love the Hayward/Campbell partnership, but then I love the Hayward/Sambe partnership as well, so for me it's a win-win situation.  Sadly, it's a lose-lose situation for Marcellino, so I wish him a full and speedy recovery, and I hope he will grace the stage again soon.

I am thrilled that Alexander is getting this chance. I am just sorry that it's because of someone else's misfortune that he will dance a role for which I feel he should have been cast in the first place.

• Like 8