charliewise

Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

At last, the Stuttgart Ballet's Onegin will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray from 9th November, according to Amazon :)

• Like 5

CMajor say, casting :-

'With his full-length ballet Onegin, John Cranko secured his place in the pantheon of great 20th century choreographers. Based on Alexander Pushkin’s dramatic verse novel „Eugen Onegin“, he tells the story of the arrogant and world weary aristocrat Onegin who rejects the love of the naïve country girl Tatiana only to realize – upon meeting her again years later – that in her he threw away the only woman who ever truly loved him. On the occasion of its 50th anniversary the Stuttgarter Ballett has come up with a special cast featuring Alicia Amatriain as Tatjana, Friedemann Vogel as Onegin, Elisa Badenes as Olga, David Moore as Lenski, Jason Reilly as Prince Gremin, Melinda Witham as Madame Larina and no other than the wonderful Marcia Haydée as nurse.'

Just been checking and there's another one due out on 2nd November, the Bernstein Celebration, probably on account of the music, I'd buy it to see Tierney Heap in Corybantic Games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beryl H said:

At last, the Stuttgart Ballet's Onegin will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray from 9th November, according to Amazon :)

What?! Not in Germany. We had a cinema screening of it last Sunday and it will be on arte TV on Dec. 16, but there's yet no DVD announced on amazon.de. You can see the cover and a trailer (scroll down) here:  http://www.ballett-im-kino.de/

What is the best way of searching for ballet on Amazon these days? You used to be able to search under 'genre' and find ballet as a genre then you could narrow it down to 'most recent,' 'forthcoming' etc and it was great but as they seem to have done away with ballet as a genre I rather struggle to find new items these days. if you just put ballet in as a search it often doesn't bring new items up. (It didn't bring Onegin up. I had to search for it by title but if you don't know it's there to search for you're not going to find it.)

I've found that searching by either ballet company or DVD production company will bring up good results, although it's much more of a chore.  

But if you don't know what's new Mimi it's difficult and very time consuming to search by ballet or production Company as there are many permutations of both. it was so easy to search under ballet as a genre as all you then had to do was search by release date to get the most up to date information. I just don't know how you do this now. It's as if per usual ballet has been regulated to the 'no one wants to know about that' slot on the website.

I just type ‘ballet’ into the search bar, set the department to ‘DVD & Blu-ray’ & then filter by New Releases to find the latest DVDs. That seems to work quite well. 

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

What is the best way of searching for ballet on Amazon these days? You used to be able to search under 'genre' and find ballet as a genre then you could narrow it down to 'most recent,' 'forthcoming' etc and it was great but as they seem to have done away with ballet as a genre I rather struggle to find new items these days. if you just put ballet in as a search it often doesn't bring new items up. (It didn't bring Onegin up. I had to search for it by title but if you don't know it's there to search for you're not going to find it.)

The are all listed under category 'Performing Arts'. Always were and always are.

And the Bolshoi now release another  blu-ray boxset on 9th November, which in the unlikely event that you don't already have them all, is a bargain at £34.99 for the four great productions, La Bayadere, Marco Spada, Swan lake and The Golden Age. Will have cost me over £80 to get these four separately.

There's FINALLY going to be a DVD of Onegin?! That's the best news I've had all year..

• Like 5

Europadisc has a,sale of Warner DVD s and Blu Rays at just under £9 each. Probably issued before Opus Arte took over issuing them Definitely some goodies, if you haven't already got them.

Thank you, ninamargaret - I didn't know these people existed.  Mainly opera, but a few ballets there as well.

On 25/09/2018 at 19:52, Angela said:

What?! Not in Germany. We had a cinema screening of it last Sunday and it will be on arte TV on Dec. 16, but there's yet no DVD announced on amazon.de. You can see the cover and a trailer (scroll down) here:  http://www.ballett-im-kino.de/

It is now listed on Amazon.de for a release date for DVD and Blu-ray of 16th November. A date worth waiting for I am sure. 

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

I've given up on the prospect of a Woolf Works DVD. Very sad, especially as I'm teaching 'Mrs Dalloway' to my Y12 students at the moment.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! It must happen....

• Like 2

The RB's Bernstein Celebration triple bill (Yugen, Corybantic Games, The Age of Anxiety) has been released on DVD and Blu-ray. Available via ROH shop, Amazon etc

The Bernstein Celebration on blu-ray is a must. Even if you are not fond of Bernstein, this transcends musical taste. The top menu makes it very easy to cross between the extras for each of the three pieces and on to the next and is very flexible. The quality of picture and sound is stunning on large screens and good sound systems, as is the camerawork.  Corybantic Games is last in series, although it is easy to play them in any order, my view was that in this order, I was saving best until last. One member said she couldn't wait to see Tierney Heap in this production and she won't be disappointed, nor can there be any disappointment with any of the vast casting used. The costumes, settings, choreography are  superb as you will know from the recent live performance or Cinema streaming, for which this item appears to be a precise reproduction. Miss Lamb is at her 'cheeky' best in The Age of Anxiety and also gets in on the act with Yugen.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Stevie, but I'll give it a miss anyway ;) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

It is now listed on Amazon.de for a release date for DVD and Blu-ray of 16th November. A date worth waiting for I am sure. 

Thank you, pre ordered it as soon as I saw your post!

13 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

would like it for Yugen but that's it! Hopefully they'll put it on TV at some point.

Agree! Hopefully they will show it in german TV too (I kinda doubt it) but my sister in law will record it for sure if they put it on TV in England...

5 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

May I ask why? Is there any reason why it doesn´t get a release? It was filmed and released in the cinemas, so I really don´t understand why there shouldn´t be a DVD/Blu Ray...

The topic was thoroughly exhausted some months ago. Making it brief, the rights were sold to c-major who elected to use the TV distribution and sound recording rights, but nothing else. You can check with them directly or through their website, but I am sure they will confirm, as they did before that there is no intention to release a DVD, it is merely HDTV.

18 minutes ago, Stevie said:

The topic was thoroughly exhausted some months ago. Making it brief, the rights were sold to c-major who elected to use the TV distribution and sound recording rights, but nothing else. You can check with them directly or through their website, but I am sure they will confirm, as they did before that there is no intention to release a DVD, it is merely HDTV.

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me. Still finding it weird, honestly. Aren´t normally the rights not sold to c-major so this is a complete suprise turn by them? Or maybe c- major will sell the rights for the DVD to someone else. I mean, it is about an opportunity to make money I can´t believe that no one will see this chance...

55 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me

I was around, was waiting for the DVD and missed the whole discussion!

Time to explore, uh, other channels, I guess. 

Me too.  I can't find any other references to c-major on this forum, either.

1 minute ago, alison said:

Me too.  I can't find any other references to c-major on this forum, either.

I cant remember the heading, but a whole lot of interactive debate on this topic, which I was drawn into.  I had contacted ROH marketing and advised the rights sold to cmajor. Someone had seen the attached and assumed it was for a DVD release. However you will see that it is an advertisement for the HDTV distribution. Cmajor say they only have the intent to distribute the TV rights and the sound track. So speculate, hope, for the future, whatever, but there is no current plan to release the DVD.

By all means contact cmajor directly and let them know your feelings.

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/roh-woolf-works-a02050103/.

• Like 1